If You've Ever Stolen From the Grocery Store, How Much Was the Item Worth?

What can we say? We're gaga over groceries! While we shop for our favorite snacks at the store, we often wonder if our grocery store etiquette is the same as others. Do most people sneak in samples at the candy bins while deciding whether or not they're going to buy the goods? What do you do when the cashier gives you too much change? And is it normal to go grocery shopping three times a week? We're finally going to find out.

Take our 8-question "Gaga Over Groceries" survey to have your vote count in the stats -- and have fun shopping!

• Mae 2012/09/09 13:59:14
    I've never stolen from the grocery store!
    Mae
    +7
    I've never stolen so much as a piece of candy from the bulk bins, not even as a child. My Mother raised me better than that. I'll never forget this one time we were grocery shopping, we were so poor, Mom didn't receive any food stamps or other assistance, and our Father had stopped paying child support less than a year after Mom divorced him, so times were really tough with just her paycheck alone. We took a calculator with us to the store because Mom only had so much for groceries. We couldn't even afford meat, that was a luxury we rarely had at that time, but for some reason, something must've told Mom to look in the meat bins that day. She found a package for a whole, cut-up chicken fryer marked as only being .14 cents. Instead of Mom snatching it up and looking for more mispriced meat to buy, she took it, and tried to find the butcher in the department to report it to. But he wasn't anywhere to be found. We asked other employees, and they told us he was on his lunch, and nobody else was in the meat dept. who could help us. So Mom actually waited for him to come back from his lunch. The employees thought she was nuts for not just taking the chicken and leaving it at that, but Mom refused. She wanted to do the right thing, to alert them to the mistake so they wou...
    I've never stolen so much as a piece of candy from the bulk bins, not even as a child. My Mother raised me better than that. I'll never forget this one time we were grocery shopping, we were so poor, Mom didn't receive any food stamps or other assistance, and our Father had stopped paying child support less than a year after Mom divorced him, so times were really tough with just her paycheck alone. We took a calculator with us to the store because Mom only had so much for groceries. We couldn't even afford meat, that was a luxury we rarely had at that time, but for some reason, something must've told Mom to look in the meat bins that day. She found a package for a whole, cut-up chicken fryer marked as only being .14 cents. Instead of Mom snatching it up and looking for more mispriced meat to buy, she took it, and tried to find the butcher in the department to report it to. But he wasn't anywhere to be found. We asked other employees, and they told us he was on his lunch, and nobody else was in the meat dept. who could help us. So Mom actually waited for him to come back from his lunch. The employees thought she was nuts for not just taking the chicken and leaving it at that, but Mom refused. She wanted to do the right thing, to alert them to the mistake so they wouldn't lose the money on the item. When the butcher finally came back and Mom showed him the package, he just said what was done was done, and if she didn't buy it, someone else would. So finally, Mom took it with a clear conscious. She still showed it to the cashier, and told the woman that she'd tried to alert them to their mistake, but the cashier didn't care, she said she'd buy it if Mom didn't. So we took it home, and were able to have a chicken dinner, the first time we'd had meat for supper for probably that whole month. Mom taught me and my siblings that no matter what, even if you were poor and hungry, honesty was always the best policy, that our integrity was more important than trying to get something for nothing.

• SereneS 2012/09/14 01:56:19
    Less than $20
    SereneS
    +1
    When I was younger I stole a pack of barbie bubble gum. I felt bad later so my mom drove me back to pay for it. I got a lesson on how stealing is bad though!
  • Valentine Oriön 2012/09/13 21:56:17 (edited)
    $100+
    Valentine Oriön
    Yeah cleptomania (spelling) runs in my family I'm a 3rd generation clepto... but 97% of the time its something I actually need. Vitamins cause I'm anemic an losing my hair, Roach baits cause my parents are too concerned with trying to blame me instead of fixing it an I DO NOT do roaches. Diaper rash ointment for my baby. Panties for my 3 yr old. Food, some clothes for my 3 yr old, wipes for my 5 mth old, wipes for my 3 yr old, some other things I can't recall... but the non needed. Batteries for me, a $20 16 gig usb drive for my bf an myself, an markers for my 3 yr old that I ended up taking away from her anyways...
  • MlssCue... Valenti... 2012/09/17 14:06:37
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +2
    Keep it up and you won't have to be stealing anything for your kids because you'll be in jail.
  • Valenti... MlssCue... 2012/09/18 05:29:34
    Valentine Oriön
    I used to only take a drink. But it turned into my children's donor not helping I have alot of mental/emotional issues an my backs messed up so right now I can't work I have no family besides my mom an her bf an they're selfish 90% of the time. Its there selfishness that put me in my position won't say how its my business. But if my kids need it they'll not go without one way or another. An Im not some bum I did work even had 2 jobs at one point worked sun up to sun down everyday to support my kid but it was too much I had anxiety attacks an panic attacks I can't handle people they stress me way too much. An when I worked I NEVER. Stole. But I only make $200ish a mth babysitting I have car insurance diapers wipes gas for appts necessities etc I don't make enough an don't wanna use a diaper bank an stuff I'd rather do it on my own unfortunately its just not a very good way :\ but now its more paychological. Like I know I have limited money so I pay for the main stuff I can't take.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/09/13 19:40:10
    Margaret Jacobson
    My stepfather stole 2 stalks of celery, once . My mother stole a lot of JUNK FROM EVERYWHERE !!
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2012/09/13 19:38:52 (edited)
  • MlssCue... stevegt... 2012/09/17 14:05:25
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    Not stealing :-)
  • ab 2012/09/13 18:51:34
    Less than $20
    ab
    I was a kid and stole a pack of candy. I got caught and my mom had to pay for it though.
  • Maize and blue 2012/09/13 18:00:35
    Less than $20
    Maize and blue
    +2
    growing up in the ghetto sometimes we didnt have money for food so yeah live was hard thats why i went to college so i wouldnt have to steal dinner for myself lol
  • Stephen 2012/09/13 15:10:40
    Stephen
    Sounds like entrapment to me.
  • SimianSays 2012/09/13 10:11:27
    SimianSays
    My little sister and I were sooo hungry. My Mummy died three days prior. My Dad left my Mum when we were young. There was no food left in the house, it was winter, and we dragged Mummy's body into the snow because she was starting to smell. We walked 10 km into the village and that's where my sis died because she refused to steal food. So I believe now, if you need to steal to survive or any reason, no one should judge another because they don't understand all of the circumstances as to why.
  • Kiki,Pixie,Worm 2012/09/13 06:23:54
    Less than $20
    Kiki,Pixie,Worm
    Well I was like seven, and I really wanted some chocolate, so I just took it.....
  • Z-Wolf 2012/09/13 02:45:51
    $20-$50
    Z-Wolf
    When I was younger I was quite the pickpocket. I would randomly take things and no, I didn't really feel guilty later. I would take trinkets and just anything that I thought was nice. Like money or inexpensive things like glow-sticks, or candy, or even toy cars or a Halloween mask.

The weird thing though, is that I never stole that stuff for enjoyment, or a dare. Heck, I didn't even keep a single thing I stole. Not even the money or candy. I would always give it to someone else, because I always thought that they'd want or need it way more than I did. Which they normally did. The money would normally be given to homeless people. There was even one time when I took this sandwich out of the refrigerated section at a 7/11 type store, and ended up giving it to a dog that was eating trash.

Now that I think about it, most of the "bad" things I did, turned out to be good deeds.
    get on my level gif
  • abigail-13 2012/09/13 00:40:28
    $100+
    abigail-13
    Well i recently developed kleptomania. Sometimes i feel the urge to steal something. I have stolen lead, shoelaces and walke-talkes and mp3 players XD lol its fun for some reason.
  • Gia 2012/09/12 22:41:45
    Gia
    Nope, No , Never ever have I.
  • Cuthbert Allsgood 2012/09/12 21:41:32
    Less than $20
    Cuthbert Allsgood
    I used to shoplift all the time as a kid, no sense in running from my past. I would now never do something like that. I earn what I need and I'm proud of that. I wish I could meet my younger self and give him a piece of my mind sometimes.
  • Zuggi 2012/09/12 19:05:08
    Less than $20
    Zuggi
    I walked out with a thing of toilet paper on the bottom of my cart. I'd have paid for it, I just forgot to put it up on the counter. I didn't put two and two together until I had gotten home.
  • mousegirl 2012/09/12 18:48:59
    mousegirl
    Never done.
  • Brian 2012/09/12 17:47:56
    Brian
    There is this weird part of me that's fascinated by shoplifting. I wouldn't necessarily judge someone for doing it. But the closest I've come was stealing a kid's meal toy from a friend when I was, like, 6. It was a Rafiki action figure. I was wracked with guilt, confessed, and returned it.
  • David 2012/09/12 14:47:24
    Less than $20
    David
    I vaguely remember taking a few pieces of candy from bins when I was a child and being scolded by a stock boy for doing so. I really didn't know better and I never did since.
  • jazzy 2012/09/12 09:51:31
    Less than $20
    jazzy
    it was a cherry, by eating it, i decreased the weight of the package. thus decreasing its honest value. therefore, i have stolen before:(
  • Kibbles jazzy 2012/09/14 05:47:36
    Kibbles
    Same here sister, I took three though, I felt terrible afterwards.
  • sally 2012/09/12 03:43:06
    sally
    I always thought that if I took something that was not mine I'd be thrown in a ditch without water or food. Don't really know where that came from but I was always scared to take something without paying.
  • Stevethinks 2012/09/12 01:28:18
    Stevethinks
    My Daughter is a Wal Mart store manager, and she would not understand how I would deviate from the way I raised her. She would then kill me deader than a dang door nail with no chance ever of recovery under any terms and no possible redemption during this century or next.

She is more important than life itself. She has been telling me what to do since she was a two year old walking round the coffee table. Any one who knows me, would be laughing now. I think my face is red. OOoooO Look down the street at those folks outside; what are they laughing about? OOooOO you BITCH you told them. Ha ha ha
  • Emma 2012/09/12 00:50:07
    Emma
    +1
    im a good kid
    i dont do stuff like that
  • elizabetch 2012/09/11 23:15:17
    elizabetch
    I've never done that!
  • Sailor Jerry [Proud Liberta... 2012/09/11 22:56:10
    $20-$50
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    +1
    i steal booze from walmart. they make billions of dollars a year; it's not like a bottle of jack is gonna set them back by much.
  • wandadear Sailor ... 2012/09/11 23:31:14
    wandadear
    lol so true
  • Magical Mushroom 2012/09/11 18:07:19
    Magical Mushroom
    +2
    I will eat at the grocery store things that are open like cherries and candy because with the amount of money I spend there it hurts no one. I won't and don't steal period. I knew someone who stole and never again after witnessing that did I ever go shopping with them again. I am not getting caught up in that mess no mater how much we over pay at these places.
    lol cat stealing
  • C. C. Rider 2012/09/11 12:44:44
    C. C. Rider
    I have never stolen from a Grocery store BUT I have walked out forgetting about the stuff under the cart. lol And then I had to go BACK in and get it rung up. HA, but don't think I did not think about just driving off with the stuff. Not because of the price, but because of the LINE!! LOL
  • Billy the kid 2012/09/11 10:39:27
    Billy the kid
    +1
    I was brought up rough, tough -and poor. BUT I was taught it was wrong to steal and never have done....
  • addie 2012/09/11 04:19:26
    $20-$50
    addie
    It was not on purpose. I had a huge load of groceries in my arms and was on a very long line to pay and the the register person left and we were all left standing there, after 20 mins altogether, I just started leaving the store, slowly, with my armload of food. I thought I would be stopped and could pay, I would draw attention to the, no one at the register, situation, but I got out side and to my wonderment, without being stopped, put it all in my back pack and went home.
    Less than $20
    When I was a little brat--and I paid the store back after I grew up!
  • katywon 2012/09/11 04:03:16
    katywon
    +2
    Grew up with family in the depression who would take nothing for free. But in my older age , I have seen people walking around markets eating candy bars etc. I don't know if they pay for them at the end or not.
  • addie katywon 2012/09/11 04:22:11
    addie
    +1
    I take a cold drink when it is really hot, but always where I am seen and always pay for it on the way out. No one has ever said anything and I keep the container in the cart where it can be seen, if they are watching me about it.
  • katywon addie 2012/09/11 14:53:21
    katywon
    +1
    Good. This is the way it should be. I assume most people do pay and there is nothing wrong with that. I happen to live in an area where there are a lot of transients and people who need food. They do get help with food stamps etc. And they need it. But it is up to the store to monitor not the customer.
  • Dan 2012/09/11 01:35:54
    Dan
    +1
    Just was taught at an early age that stealing was even worse than sampling the food. I guess my parents made us follow moral rules pretty good.
  • Karasu the Neko Vampire 2012/09/11 01:16:19
    Karasu the Neko Vampire
    I was like 2 years old and i took a little toy car that someone left on the floor. I was still a toddler so i didn't know that it had a price on it
  • EmoKiss:3 2012/09/11 01:11:09
    EmoKiss:3
    +1
    When I was a baby I stole some earrings but tha doesn't count xD I had no control over the situation and my mom only noticed what I was actually holding when we got home.
  • Twinky 2012/09/10 23:08:59 (edited)
    Twinky
    +1
    Last week I went to a clothes shop called "Next" (I don't know if you have it in the US), they've recently opened a furniture section, so I took a catalogue...

next catalogue

I didn't see that I was supposed to PAY for a catalogue!!

When I realised an hour later I was too embarrassed to return it and now I feel really guilty...

2014/11/23 10:02:43