If your doorbell rings and you're not expecting anyone, do you answer it?

La 2012/08/15 10:35:11
I will always answer it
I never answer it unless I'm expecting someone
I vote for the middle ground between those options

Boyfriend is weird about this. He will never answer the door. Probably because he grew up in England and people would come knock on your door to check you have a valid TV license :P

I always answer the door if I hear a knock or a doorbell. We rarely get people collecting money, we never get religious folks trying to convert you, and you never know who it's gonna be. It could be a family member who forgot their keys, or a delivery or something.

• Loki_Laufeyson 2012/08/21 01:30:57
    Loki_Laufeyson
    +1
    When the doorbell worked we'd check the windows around the door first. But now they knock when we don't answer the doorbell (the broken doorbell) and we check the windows.
  • Mrs.Vader 2012/08/19 12:54:48
    I will always answer it
    Mrs.Vader
    +1
    It would be pretty hard to ignore because my door is wide open all day long and I have three dogs who bark and greet everyone who comes into my yard.
  • Lyndon 2012/08/16 08:16:28
    I will always answer it
    Lyndon
    +1
    I always answer it; that said my neighborhood has almost zero crime in it - and people drop in unexpected all the time.
    It all depends on where you live and the type of people you know really.
  • kitkat42 2012/08/16 01:22:16
    kitkat42
    I only answer when expecting someone.
  • laydeelapis 2012/08/15 17:17:33
    laydeelapis
    +1
    It really depends on how lazy I am. Sometimes my friends stop by randomly even though they know I HATE that -.- I usually answer it.
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/08/15 16:46:27
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    I roll ninja style to avoid any windows and hide.

When I see out said window that it is not somebody I know.
  • frequent–antagonist 2012/08/15 14:16:10
    I will always answer it
    frequent–antagonist
    +1
    Unless of course I notice it's some sort of solicitor or something, I'll answer it. I just can't see why not.
  • La frequen... 2012/08/15 22:34:31
    La
    Eh, even if they're door knocking, I answer anyway and I'm friendly to them, even though I never give them anything. It's a crappy job (and often they're volunteering anyway) and it's demoralising when NO ONE answers the door (I did it once, for like 8 houses in my street).
  • darwolf 2012/08/15 12:13:37
    darwolf
    +1
    The people that knows me. Know they have to call first. If not then i don't answer the door.
  • frequen... darwolf 2012/08/15 14:16:41
    frequent–antagonist
    +1
    That's kinda rude.
  • darwolf frequen... 2012/08/15 20:59:25
    darwolf
    I don't see how. It's not like they don't know the rules. I would never show up at their places without calling first.
  • frequen... darwolf 2012/08/15 21:28:46
    frequent–antagonist
    +1
    Because they know you, so I'm assuming they are your friends.

Even if they didn't give a heads up, and they show up, you notice your friend standing there at the door, you would not answer it JUST because they didn't give you a heads up before coming over? Yeah, I'm pretty sure most normal people would consider that rude.
  • darwolf frequen... 2012/08/15 21:43:50
    darwolf
    +1
    If there is an unexpected knock. I don't check to see who it is. So no i wouldn't them notice them at the door.
  • frequen... darwolf 2012/08/15 21:58:14
    frequent–antagonist
    What if it were to be of importance? If anything, you sound rather lazy.
  • darwolf frequen... 2012/08/15 22:18:19
    darwolf
    +1
    If is of any importance they can call. It might sound lazy but i value my privacy. I work all day the last thing i want is to be bother at home.
  • frequen... darwolf 2012/08/16 14:59:26
    frequent–antagonist
    It doesn't just sound lazy. It is lazy, and rude. There is more to it than just valuing privacy here.
  • darwolf frequen... 2012/08/16 16:26:02
    darwolf
    I really can't see how that's being lazy. It would be lazy if i didn't answer the door just because i didn't feel like getting up and walking to the door. But that's not the case. I respect and follow the rules that my family and friends have at their homes. I expect them to do the same when it comes to my rules. So i don't see how being rude.
  • frequen... darwolf 2012/08/16 23:15:43
    frequent–antagonist
    +1
    You just said you don't even check to see who it is. That is lazy, for not checking, and rude, because if it's your pal, even if they know your malarkey rule, it could be of importance. Sometimes people need to make exceptions.

What if their car broke down the road, and they had no phone, or they were simply in the area with time to kill, no money for a payphone, and no phone? I certainty would be offended if a friend of mine heard me knocking and didn't answer simply because I didn't give a heads up for once in my life.
  • darwolf frequen... 2012/08/17 02:24:16
    darwolf
    I do allow one exception. I have one friend that i let in over without calling. If their car did break down. Wouldn't they go to a mechanic or somebody that can do something about it.
  • frequen... darwolf 2012/08/17 14:44:45
    frequent–antagonist
    +1
    But how would you know it's them if you don't check? Key word(s) in above paragraph would be "no phone", and "no money".
  • darwolf frequen... 2012/08/17 16:34:41
    darwolf
    There is a special knock. That lets me know when it's them. Since my friends knows my rules. They wouldn't even bother to stop by. Even if their car was broke down.
  • frequen... darwolf 2012/08/17 17:51:08
    frequent–antagonist
    +1
    You make your house sound like a secret society.
  • darwolf frequen... 2012/08/17 19:05:04
    darwolf
    Funny my mother says the same thing. I was taught very young to keep the world at arm's length.
  • frequen... darwolf 2012/08/18 01:41:40
    frequent–antagonist
    +1
    Or in this case a houses length.
  • Jeff Vader 2012/08/15 11:10:15 (edited)
    I will always answer it
    Jeff Vader
    +1
    You have to be let into my apartment building. You can see them on the security system camera and speak to ask them what they want before you let them in.
    blade runner
  • Lili13 2012/08/15 10:39:48
    Lili13
    +1
    I check who it is first then i open it since everyone always comes to my house randomly and i never know who it will be
  • Saga 2012/08/15 10:37:55
    Saga
    +1
    If I'm home alone, no. :3
    But if not, I would.
    No - one usually comes to the house except relatives though and that's only on rare occasions.

2014/08/01 18:02:13