If pro-lifer's got their way and abortion was outlawed in the US, what do you think would happen?

Dragonfly420 2009/10/21 03:58:54
This is not a are you pro-life or pro-choice question. I'm just curious to know what you think would happen. So I don't want any of you coming on here saying abortion is wrong.

• Live Free Or Die 2009/11/18 19:39:28 (edited)
    I think this would happen (please leave a comment)
    Live Free Or Die
    On the positive side, it would probably lower the abortion rate. People would realize that they couldn't get one and, therefore, be more careful overall. Some might wait until marriage where they did not before. Some would be happy that they had the baby after all as well, to be sure.

On the bad side, there would be more neglected, abused children and the rate of infanticide would likely increase. The population would increase and there would be more orphanages. Some women would also not be able to care for other children in their household and this would contribute to that problem. We would see an increase in the need for CPS and social services to step in and remove children. There would also likely be an increase in domestic violence, since this tends to increase during pregnancy. Increased funding of the nanny state would be another factor. Welfare would become paramount to support all the babies.

Doctors looking to make money would charge outrageous prices and there would be a rise in unsafe abortions and resulting maternal deaths, but then with the advances in medical technology, the RU-486 abortion pill would likely be sold underground, if people could find a way to do that.
  • artist1963-Progressive Patr... 2009/10/22 19:54:12
    artist1963-Progressive Patriot for Change
    Increased cases of child abuse and neglect
    More strain on our social service budget and Medicaid
    The return of back-alley abortions
    More women/teens killing their newborns
    If abortion is outlawed, then on a posative note, the access to affordable contraceptives will hopefully increase.
  • *BIGGUMS* 2009/10/21 08:16:18
    *BIGGUMS*
    There wud be a lot more child abuse, the welfare system wud shut down cuz it wud be overflowing, & people wouldn't wanna care for their kids or they might even go so far as murdering them or committing suicide. its not just about the baby... think about the other consequences.
  • comptech - Quit whining please 2009/10/21 07:35:38
    comptech - Quit whining please
    I think that it could have an impact on sexual behavior. Possibly making women/men take more precautions to avoid becoming pregnant. Maybe an increase in vasectomies / tubal litigation.

There would definitely be at least a percentage of babies born that would have otherwise been aborted.

Adoptions may increase and availability may become easier.

There may be a number of illegal back alley abortions,concoctions to induce early labor or destroy the baby.

Maybe there would be an increase is baby abandonment for instance in dumpsters, firehouses, etc.

I don't really know but I can see a lot of complex issues that might have to be addressed.
  • Dragonfly420 2009/10/21 07:17:40
    Dragonfly420
    +1
    I think that if they outlawed abortion some doctors would still do abortions illegally but would charge a lot for it. However, many women wouldn't be able to afford the safe illegal abortions and would do drugs and drink lots of alcohol to try and kill the baby themselves but would probably end up killing themselves in the process. Here are a few other self induced abortion methods that are very dangerous to the woman.............

1. coat hanger abortion

2. Physical exertion

3. abdominal massage

4. attempts to stab the fetus with a knitting needle

5. having someone punch and kick them in the stomach

I don't like abortion but if the pro-lifers got their way woman would kill themselves to get rid of the baby, especially teens who don't want their parents to find out.
  • I think this would happen (please leave a comment)
    Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    There would be even more unwanted children and deaths connected to illegal abortions
  • Faith ~American Patriot~ 2009/10/21 04:06:09
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    People would continue to have illegal abortions. Hopefully it would lower the number of abortions, but these days, who knows.
  • Aingean 2009/10/21 04:06:01
    Aingean
    Honestly I dont know. People would probably get them selves beat up just so they would miss carry, or have someone do it in the back of an alley some where. But people do that anyway, it would probably just get worse
  • Infyniti Harker 2009/10/21 04:01:52
    Infyniti Harker
    Then there will be an increase in dangerous back-ally style abortions.
    If they outlaw it then the next thing they outlaw will be birth control.

2014/11/27 20:48:55