I don't think the world is going to end on 21/12/12!

Kezzi Morris 2012/11/23 23:26:37
Related Topics: World, 21

• Transquesta 2012/12/07 22:29:03
    Transquesta
    No fair! If you're wrong we don't get to tease you about it. :-)
  • Thecharliejay 2012/12/07 22:22:10 (edited)
    Agree
    Thecharliejay
    +1

THE WORLD WON'T END
    10. Changes in the Sun's magnetic field will lead to powerful flares.

So what else is new under the sun? The sun goes though a well-documented 11-year sunspot cycle that is driven by its magnetic field entangling, reforming and flipping polarity. Yes, the peak of the next cycle is in 2012 (or 2013), and some predictions suggest it might be 30 to 50 percent stronger than the last peak.

But experts say it will certainly not be the biggest peak ever recorded.

The bottom line is that no dragon's breath of flame will stretch across 100 million miles of space and blowtorch Earth. The largest solar flare recorded to date, on Nov. 4, 2003, spewed several billions of tons of plasma in Earth's direction. The flare's X-ray radiation that impacted our protective atmosphere had the equivalent radiation of 5,000 suns.

We're still here.

9. The Earth's magnetic field will reverse.

Don't hold you breath. The last field reversal happened nearly 800,000 years ago. Fred Flintstone and our other ancestor cavemen survived. Geological evidence shows that the field has reversed its orientation tens of thousands of times over Earth history. Yet there is no definitive evidence that a magnetic field reversal has ever caused any mass extinction due to increased cosmic ray influx.

8. The Eart...

hhh

THE WORLD WON'T END

We're still here.

8. The Earth's rotation axis will tip.

This isn't nearly as easy as tipping cows. Unlike Mars, which does go though wide excursions in it axial tilt, Earth's tilt is kept steady by the gravitational influence of the moon. An object the size of Mars would have to hit Earth to transfer enough momentum to knock us out of kilter. But Mars-sized protoplanets were kicked into interstellar space over 4 billion years ago. The solar system doesn't make "planets-gone-wild" anymore.

7. A grand alignment of Jupiter and Saturn will gravitationally perturb Earth.

For the past several decades there have been doomsday claims that the combined gravity from grand planetary alignments will cause geologic and meteorological upheavals on Earth.

None are scheduled for 2012.

In 1962 an extremely rare grand conjunction of the classical naked-eye planets drove astrologers crazy. The conjunction happened on Feb. 4-5 and was accompanied by a solar eclipse! The most infamous grand conjunction was in 1982 and popularized in a book called "The Jupiter Effect," which predicted earthquakes and massive tides. Life went on as usual both years. The moon has a vastly greater gravitational influence on Earth than Jupiter. It's called location, location, location! At a whopping distance of 400 million miles from Earth, Jupiter's tug is pretty wimpy.

6. The Sun will align with the galactic equator on the winter solstice.

So what? These are simply coordinates in the sky. It has no physical reality any more than the intersection of Broadway and 7th Avenue at Times Square influences the geology of Manhattan Island. This is greatly confused with the fact that the sun's position actually oscillates up and down as it orbits the galaxy, like a horse on a carousel.

We pass through the galactic plane every 35 to 40 million years. It's possible that an increased number of comets might be hurled towards the Earth because of gravitational interaction with the densest parts of our galaxy during this passage. But we are talking about the consequences spanning many thousands of years, not crashing down on our heads in any one specific year.

5. The black hole in the galactic center will affect us.

The Milky Way's black hole has no influence on the galactic disk. The black hole is three million solar masses. The Milky Way is several trillion solar masses when we add the tug of dark matter. Any gravitational influence of the black hole over the galaxy would be like the tail wagging the dog. The Milky Way's collision with the Andromeda galaxy will dump gas into the black hole and it will blaze as a quasar. But that's several billion years away.

4. An asteroid will smash into Earth.

A threatening near-Earth asteroid that's gotten the most press is the 900-foot wide Apophis. But its chances of collision have been downgraded to 1 in 250,000 at its next close approach in 2029. In theory, an uncharted asteroid or comet could come out of the blue tomorrow. But if we don't know about it today, the Mayans certainly didn't know about it 1,200 years ago. Earth-killer impacts are tens of millions of years apart. So there's no reason to be a doomsday clock-watcher.

3. The rogue planet Nibiru will swing by Earth.

There isn't such a planet any more than the planet Naboo from the Star Wars trilogy is real. Purported Internet pictures of the interloper are photographic lens flares or hoaxes. Don't believe every dot you see photographed in the sky.

2. Supernovae or hypernovae will irradiate Earth.

There are no stars that are so close to Earth that radiation from their supernova demise would seriously affect us. The nearest candidate, the red giant Betelgeuse, is predicted to explode in the next 1,000 years. The monster star Eta Carinae is also on a short fuse. Neither doomed star has a spin axis precisely aimed at Earth, so we don't have to worry about being fried by a narrow beam of gamma rays ejected from the core's implosion. In fact the kinds of stars that shoot out these Death Star beams are uncommon in the Milky Way. Earth has a one percent chance of getting zapped over 10 billion years. Scratch gamma ray bursts off of your homeowner's insurance policy.

1. A cloud of negative energy engulfs the solar system.

Wow! A dark cloud with a bad attitude! This sound suspiciously like a Star Trek episode. Dark energy is all around us already, but it is not packaged into clouds. The same goes for dark matter.

http://news.discovery.com/spa...

Here are more websites were you can see why the world isn't going to end because apparently it has had so many doomsdays and some how we have survived the odds.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/ea...
    http://rickrideshorses.hubpag...
    http://www.livescience.com/17...
  • ffion 2012/12/01 22:34:50
    Disagree
    ffion
    I pressed the wrong button I ment to say I agree :-)
  • charles nelson 2012/11/25 03:44:31
    Agree
    charles nelson
    +1
    Had to say yes, hate being wrong.
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2012/11/25 03:24:32
    Agree
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +1
    Why bother believing? No one would be here to point out having been wrong, if it did end.Just live each day.
  • sue 2012/11/25 01:10:36
    Agree
    sue
    +1
    If everyone agrees why are there people out there preparing for apocolypse. I never could understand why anyone would want to survive an apocolypse. There would be death and distruction everywhere, everyone you knew is gone. There is nothing left except people on the verge of madness, and possibly rampant disease, poison water and food for years. Why would you want to live though that? A lot of these people preparing for this stuff are Christian (religious). Why would they be preparing to li e on earth if their future is suppose to be in heaven. I personally do not believe in these end of world theory's. We have been though it before.
  • Sarah Alexander 2012/11/25 00:06:20 (edited)
    Agree
    Sarah Alexander
    +1
    I don't think so, but it's still on my calendar! If it is going to end, can I request that it be before finals?
  • jere.chievres 2012/11/24 18:23:32
    Agree
    jere.chievres
    +2
    Of course not.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2012/11/24 18:11:17
    Agree
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +2
    But the date is 12/21/12, and because everyone is looking at that date, it will not be the one either.
  • Magical Mushroom 2012/11/24 17:35:25
    Magical Mushroom
    +1
    I wish
  • Dickens 2012/11/24 17:28:24
    Agree
    Dickens
    +2
    ..if I thought it was, I wouldn't have bought Christmas gifts..
  • phil white 2012/11/24 16:51:21
    Agree
    phil white
    +1
    we have written records of our civilization going back 4,000 years I think it's fairly safe to say our civilization will be around at least 40 more years, probably for a 1,years.
    Projecting out another 4,000 years though it looks dicey.
  • Osk 2012/11/24 16:28:57
    Disagree
    Osk
    +1
    Only time will tell
  • DoxieDad 2012/11/24 15:29:48
    Disagree
    DoxieDad
    +3
    I don't but for a very vocal part of the SH community the world ended on November 6, 2012
  • Pinball... DoxieDad 2012/11/24 19:19:54
  • Mr.Steve 2012/11/24 15:18:15
  • J-wei 2012/11/24 15:01:45
    Agree
    J-wei
    +1
    i'm sure everyone agree it
  • Nolan Wood 2012/11/24 14:57:36
    Agree
    Nolan Wood
    +1
    Only God knows the true coming of the end. It's even written in the Bible. I have yet to see the Horsemen so much as mount up.
  • Kookiel... Nolan Wood 2012/11/26 01:57:04
  • Nolan Wood Kookiel... 2012/11/26 03:37:18
    Nolan Wood
    Only God does. Plus an archeological team found an older Mayan calendar earlier this year that extends our existance to around 6000 years from now, plus NASA scietists have found no trace of a planet crashing into us (we'd all be able to see it in the sky by now) the only thing set for us is a gigantic solar storm, perfectly natural.
  • Marzuq 2012/11/24 14:35:16 (edited)
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/11/24 14:10:10
    Agree
    **StarzAbove**
    +2
    No one knows when the world will end except God. So I'm not gonna worry about it.
  • oldlady 2012/11/24 14:04:18
    Agree
    oldlady
    It's just a silly rumor, pass it on :/
  • Kitty 2012/11/24 12:51:33 (edited)
    Agree
    Kitty
    +2
    No human is supposed to know when it will be. And who were the Mayans anyway that people assume they knew everything.
    Another reason I know it won't end is because my bank said my mortgage is due in 2016.
  • Harley Squiggles the God \(... 2012/11/24 12:02:18
    Agree
    Harley Squiggles the God \(#o#)/
    +2
    Me neither. .-.
  • Kezzi M... Harley ... 2012/11/24 12:14:54
  • Harley ... Kezzi M... 2012/11/24 12:16:45
  • Kezzi M... Harley ... 2012/11/24 12:17:48
  • john 2012/11/24 11:45:36
    Agree
    john
    +1
    Not the slightest chance as I have got lots of things to do after that date and I have made arrangements for Christmas and my daughter gets really annoyed if I let her down......
  • Dweezle 2012/11/24 11:44:29
    Agree
    Dweezle
    +1
    I think it would have been more likely on 6-6-06 LOL
  • on time, again 2012/11/24 10:09:52
    on time, again
    +1
    I have bad dreams, I have always had them (future). As I got older they went away, but lately I cant get rid of them.
  • Olimpia Nicula :) 2012/11/24 09:40:25
    Agree
    Olimpia Nicula :)
    +1
    IT WON'T!
  • Сергей Темноходов 2012/11/24 09:37:16
    Disagree
    Сергей Темноходов
    +1
    Of course not! ))) By the way ... you do not tell me: I have booked a ticket for the ark of the number 4, when will the departure of one of the mountains of China?
  • Country Gentleman 2012/11/24 07:48:01
    Agree
    Country Gentleman
    +1
    Good for you. Just out of curiosity, how did you come to this decision?
  • Alexander T Steward 2012/11/24 07:45:47
  • Mrs. V 2012/11/24 05:22:13
    Disagree
    Mrs. V
    +2
    Oops I read it wrong, sorry. No, I don't think it will end on the 12th.

However, I think if you will read the Book of Revelations, you might see that time is getting close. The headlines these days read just like the pages of the Bible.

What must happen first, is the Apostasy of the church, One World Government, and the AntiChrist. We are moving in these directions.
  • Willyt Mrs. V 2012/11/24 07:34:12
    Willyt
    So, the book of revelations, huh? Do you have a CREDIBLE source?
  • Mrs. V Willyt 2012/11/24 23:53:30
    Mrs. V
    I dare you to read it. Do you know what prophecy is? Fulfilled Prophecy gives the Bible credibility.
  • jere.ch... Mrs. V 2012/11/24 18:28:42
    jere.chievres
    Revelations is a myth perpetrated by Martin Luther to spread fear among the uneducated, I see it still works!
  • Mrs. V jere.ch... 2012/11/24 23:52:27
    Mrs. V
    The Book of Revelations was written around 96 AD. I dare you to read it if you aren't too scared to. Oh, I am not afraid, but you will be.

2014/09/01 21:21:26