How much would you pay for your Daughter's wedding?

..tisha... 2011/01/29 03:09:47
Related Topics: Live
Most girls fantasize about their big day since childhood, and once that day finally comes- they plan to live it. Of course a few modernizations take place, instead of a poofy princess dress they opt for a corset dress or instead of a castle it's a grand cathedral- a little more realistic- but no less expensive.

Is it wrong to be cheap about it? Instead of buying invitations costing $1000 dollars- go to target and make your own? Would you shy your daughter away from the $3000 dollar dress to the more reasonable $200?

Or does money not matter? This is her big day and she should be happy. Debt doesn't matter.

• hatshepsut123 2011/01/29 17:22:24
    Let's cut corners-
    hatshepsut123
    +4
    it is a waste of money. i don't have a daughter, i am the daughter, and i would not allow expensive wedding. with 3000 dollars you can pay a whole wedding here, including the dress and everything. i would rather spend my money on traveling or something i really need. expensive honeymoon sounds better than expensive wedding.

• kaYlaa.♥$☮ 2011/02/02 23:14:18
    .......
    kaYlaa.♥$☮
    I Dont Have a Daughter Lol But In The Future If I Do I Would Pay As Much As She Wants Me Too Cause Ima Spoil My Kids To The Fullest Just Like My Parents Do :)
  • Greeneyes 2011/01/31 14:24:55
    Let's cut corners on some- splurg on others
    Greeneyes
    I spent $5,000 and she had a very nice wedding with about 150 people in attendance. We made the flowers and invitations so that cut down expenses greatly.
  • QueenShebaVIII 2011/01/30 19:12:05
    .......
    QueenShebaVIII
    +1
    It depends on how much money I had at the time. If I didn't have much I'd probably expect them to pay for it themselves. If I did have enough money I might pay for some of the wedding, but not all of it.
    I think it'd ridiculous to spend loads of money on a wedding. But I'm not really a big fan of weddings.
  • Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of ... 2011/01/30 10:54:15
    .......
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +1
    Pfft.. people still do that? Noone should get married till they're financially stable anyway, in which case they can pay for their own wedding.
  • Ruby De... Ruby De... 2011/01/30 11:06:34
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +2
    I will however pay for all the furniture and whitegoods to get my kids started when they move out. Much better investment.
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2011/01/30 10:33:11
    .......
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    I don't have a daughter so $0.00 lol
  • holyheretic 2011/01/30 06:55:07
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2011/01/30 06:11:37
    .......
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    i have no daughter! XD
  • NatAlex23 2011/01/30 04:20:30
    .......
    NatAlex23
    Depends on how much I approve of who she's marrying.
  • pbunny 2011/01/30 03:20:13
    .......
    pbunny
    Funny, we just found out we'll be planning a wedding tonight!
  • FoxFairy 2011/01/30 01:47:20
    FoxFairy
    There is a mistaken idea in American culture that the Bride's family needs to flip the bill for EVERYTHING. Tradiction actually says the Bride's parents pay for the wedding and the Groom's parents pay for the reception. And if the parents are conservative on both then they can also put together some honeymoon money. Why have a pricy dress you are only going to wear once, why have fancy dresses the bride's maids hate, and why waste all that money on flowers that will go into the trash tomorrow? Best to find out from the Bride what is most important to her, and spend the most money on that...and include the Groom's mom in the choosing, after all she is "losing a son" as the saying goes.
  • NatAlex23 FoxFairy 2011/01/30 04:22:54
    NatAlex23
    Part of the problem with cost is that companies spike their prices once they find out that what they're selling is for a wedding (funerals are the same). The reason is, that people are emotional at this time and not willing to really think about the actual financial burden they are placing on themselves.
  • FoxFairy NatAlex23 2011/01/30 14:39:17
    FoxFairy
    Well with the dresses it's not about that because they are made for weddings...best is to find a time when the shop is having some kind of sale.
  • random thought 2011/01/30 01:14:53
    Let's cut corners-
    random thought
    just hav a small wedding with a few family members and close friends
  • Beccy 2011/01/29 23:57:12
    .......
    I have heard of people paying thousands for a wedding and then the marriage doesn't last. I hope she wants a small private affair with the people she cares the most about.
  • z-Madness-z 2011/01/29 23:56:36
    .......
    z-Madness-z
    I don't have a daughter, yet, maybe, but I wouldn't spend much at all. I'd pay for what I know is necessary for a wedding (dress, music, venue, etc) but the rest she'd have to buy herself.
  • pamela 2011/01/29 22:46:44
    .......
    pamela
    +1
    I don't have a daughter, I have a son. If I had a daughter, I think we would have to set a limit to a certain degree as long as she has a very nice wedding. And I think if anything that she could wear my dress, it has a low vee'd back and was full with lot's of lace, but if she wanted something more sleek that would be fine with me. It would be her day and she should have it way she would want it, but with some kind of limit, because in this day and age. and with this economy, I would want to watch what could get spent.

Now on the other hand, with my son, if the woman he married didn't have a mother or father to work on the cost, then i would step in and help the best way I could, but still use some sort of limit, I'm sure a lot have things have gone up since I was married, so they could use some of what they have saved, and i would do my best to make it their very special day.
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2011/01/29 18:29:30
    Artist~PWCM~
    +2
    Considering the divorce rate today, I'll throw a big bash after their tenth anniversary. For the wedding I'll buy them bus tickets to Vegas and wait and see.
  • Sarah Films the Clouds 2011/01/29 18:28:30
    .......
    Sarah Films the Clouds
    +1
    I don't have a daughter... but I'm just kindof still in shock about $1000 invitations??? That's ridiculous. I don't understand. =.='
    If I ever end up getting married, I'd want to make my dress. :)
  • hatshepsut123 2011/01/29 17:22:24
    Let's cut corners-
    hatshepsut123
    +4
  • starguide 2011/01/29 16:50:55
    starguide
    +1
    my daughter will be such a beautiful bride

hey ,,if she elopes,,,, drinks are on me

daughter beautiful bride hey elopes drinks drinks on me
  • Shawna 2011/01/29 15:23:38
    Let's cut corners-
    Shawna
    +2
    Fortunately I don't have a daughter. I think fancy weddings are a big waste of money and just another feature of our blatantly wasteful and affluent culture. A wedding dress is worn once and goes out of style quickly anyhow. BIG waste of money. I have been married once and it was a small, simple and inexpensive wedding. I was young and my parents paid for it. They used money they had and did not go into debt. If I get married again it would still be simple. I am not fond of being the centre of attention anyhow so princess for a day is rather unappealing to me. If I had a daughter I sure hope she would be like me :)
  • captkirk999 2011/01/29 14:51:04
    .......
    captkirk999
    +1
    It depends on how much the groom's family is paying. Maybe the same amount. The groom's family should help too.
  • pamela captkir... 2011/01/29 22:51:11
    pamela
    Thing is the Brides family is supposed to pay for the whole wedding, except for the grooms side of the family, pays for the tux's and the flowers. But in this day and age, sometimes it takes a little bit more from the groom's family if the bride and groom and even more special day.
  • wombat 2011/01/29 14:12:23
    .......
    wombat
    unless she is expecting offspring with that guy ..... nothing.
  • kmay 2011/01/29 14:11:28
    .......
    kmay
    +2
    It's now what you spend, it's what the ceremony means.
  • Firekitty ∞ijm♥G☮F♀U∞ 2011/01/29 13:41:42
    .......
    Firekitty ∞ijm♥G☮F♀U∞
    +2
    People need to understand that you can have many things the way you want when it comes to a wedding with out spending 100,000 dollars to do it. There is no reason to spend $3,000 on a wedding dress that is just insane. Yes you can cut corners but you can also like I said find things that are great and very close to what you want at a reasonable price. My parents didn't give me a price for my wedding. They just did it. So that is what I will do for my daughter and go from there.
  • S 2011/01/29 13:03:02
    .......
    S
    I think that in this time and age you really can't afford to be spending so much money on a wedding. They will probably make better use of the money to get a new house.
    I have always said that if my daughter decides to get married her and her fiancée should save up for that wedding, But as my only daughter I am sure that i will help a little
  • David (oYo) 2011/01/29 09:41:49
  • Bronx at Night 2011/01/29 06:46:57
  • gingertwin2 2011/01/29 06:46:45
    .......
    gingertwin2
    +2
    0! My parents aren't paying for my wedding at all. (They eloped in Denmark.) They would rather help with the down payment for my first house. I will do the same for my own daughters.

2014/07/31 15:43:39