How important is religion/God in your life?

fingerrtails 2012/07/09 00:05:16
Related Topics: God, Religion

• Medium Jock 2012/10/19 00:35:29
    Not at all important
    Medium Jock
    I prefer a type of fantasy that doesn't try to impose its beliefs on you
  • Tim 2012/08/23 17:30:36
    Not at all important
    Tim
    I see religion as a waste of time to grab attention
  • LovelyLady 2012/08/04 02:31:18
    Not at all important
    LovelyLady
    "Religion" is not of importance. But faith, that this life is a gift bestowed and more wonders is in store-is what I hold important.
  • BloodlessVeins 2012/07/28 03:41:23
    Very important
    BloodlessVeins
    +1
    They are my friends. They are my allies. I can not get by without them.
  • Brosia 2012/07/28 03:08:41
    Somewhat important
    Brosia
    +1
    It is important in the sense that I acknowledge their existence. But I know that they love me as I am, and I am not big on performing rituals. I honor them in my own way.
  • morris44 2012/07/17 18:55:29
    Very important
    morris44
    Unfortunately, organized religion is effecting all of our lives as those who push for laws based on their religious teachings effect us all.
  • Superman morris44 2012/07/17 20:14:25
    Superman
    Thing is that everyone supports or opposes laws based on their own morality. Its no different if that morality is based on Christianity, or Judaism or Mormonism or secular humanism. At the end of the day any push for laws affects us all, no use in singling out religion.
  • morris44 Superman 2012/07/17 20:33:37
    morris44
    I think only some laws have a moral basis.

Is it immoral to speed?
  • Superman morris44 2012/07/17 20:50:13
    Superman
    Speeding could be a chicken and the egg situation. I would say some would consider it immoral to speed because we have a law establishing a speed limit. Though there may be a set of folk that think we shouldn't have an establishment of speed limits at all. And still others would probably say certain limits are morally rational for the safety of drivers and pedestrians.

Subtracting those less controversial issues, though, its still our morality that defines issues like gay marriage or abortion or say something specific like the San Francisco ban on Foie Gras. A certain segment of society obviously thinks its immoral to create and sell the delicacy. And other regions contain people that enjoy the food and restaurants that want to sell it and have no moral qualms about it. But the collective morality of San Francisco affected the lives of the people that consume, sell and manufacture a certain product.

Thus my argument that what our morality is based on is irrelevent still stands. If you want to quibble over the fact that some laws aren't controversial and enjoy broader public support thats fine. It really doesn't address my main point.
  • gfreeman BN-0 2012/07/17 18:54:10
    Not at all important
    gfreeman BN-0
    I get along just fine without an imaginary friend.
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/07/17 01:05:55
    Very important
    **StarzAbove**
    Very important.
  • dill fazie 2012/07/16 22:56:09 (edited)
    Very important
    dill fazie
    +1
    we may not wish to acknowledge his presence today or even tomorrow... but one day you'll have too and as for me and my home, we love God and his greatest gift... Jesus the Christ.... ps. don't refer/confuse me as a christian for they are the greatest cause for atheism to date...
  • Owen 2012/07/16 16:12:06
    Somewhat important
    Owen
    It's at least somewhat important to me that the majority of the people around me base their behavior on one or another awful superstition. It's a little important to me that more people decide to become good, honest people by questioning and ultimately giving up religion.
  • PsychoxAngel 2012/07/16 11:06:21
    Somewhat important
    PsychoxAngel
    I just don't care
  • Centrist_Bill 2012/07/15 20:03:39
    Very important
    Centrist_Bill
    +2
    I am absolutely sure he is the only reason I am alive at this point.
  • Leeaqua 2012/07/15 17:56:49
    Not at all important
    Leeaqua
    +2
    Religion is one of the biggest frauds ever conceived by a human to put other humans in their control . The poor and ignorant are the ones most gullible to the fundamentalist preachers in their $ 500.00 suits and gold gilded furniture that beg for more money daily on their TV shows. These are businesses that sell Jesus, etc and should be taxed accordingly !
  • DeborahLakeHelen 2012/07/15 16:41:03
    Very important
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +1
    Extremely important. I would be nothing, if it were not for the unconditonal love, support, kindness, compassion and grece of my Savior, Jesus Christ. Everything in my life, all of my blessings, my strength, my family and all that I am and have is bcause HE has given it to me freely.
  • Wyzard 2012/07/15 16:02:12
    Very important
    Wyzard
    +2
    God comes first in my life, thats why I would never vote for Obama!
  • Deborah... Wyzard 2012/07/15 16:41:40
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +1
    Excellent reason!
  • morris44 Wyzard 2012/07/17 18:56:38
    morris44
    If God comes first, it seems you couldn't vote for anyone who isn't God.

Is that the logic you are going with here?
  • Wyzard morris44 2012/07/17 23:37:43
    Wyzard
    Are you stupid?
  • morris44 Wyzard 2012/07/18 17:30:03
    morris44
    You said, "God comes first, thats (sic) why I would never vote for Obama!"

If you want someone to understand what you mean, put words in your statements that address what you want to address.

Don't make an inference that relies on others to decipher.

You meant to say something about how Obama is godless or the devil or some other silly thing, but you didn't. You just leave out this, most important part.

Leaving others to infer what you meant.
  • M. Aronson 2012/07/15 15:53:04
    Not at all important
    M. Aronson
    +7
    I am a proud atheist. Religion does nothing to improve the world. It just serves as a starting point for "us vs. them" thinking - a way to feel superior to other people who believe or behave differently than you do. I find it amazing how so many millions of people not only believe in their Invisible Friend, but actually believe that this I.F. CARES about who will win the World Series, or whether Johnny will pass his math test, or whether Uncle Fester will ever wake up from his coma. The arrogance of humans, to think that their I.F. is micro-managing everything! If it weren't so sad and pointless and a waste of human energy, it would be funny.
  • M. Aronson M. Aronson 2012/07/15 16:01:32
    M. Aronson
    +3
    If humans were indeed created by an Invisible Friend, then that I.F. did a horrible job, as evidenced by the continual warring/violence of various countries/tribes/religions; the destruction of our planet's health; the thinking that only-HUMANS-count-and-to-hell... and the sheer love of ignorance and non-thought that religious beliefs encourage.
  • Wyzard M. Aronson 2012/07/15 16:05:14
    Wyzard
    +1
    We did the horrible job, God gave us free will and some of us (Obama supporters) chose to try to destroy this planet. Most of us (Christians) are trying to help the planet!
  • Deborah... Wyzard 2012/07/15 16:42:04
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +1
    That's for sure!
  • M. Aronson Wyzard 2012/07/15 16:51:10
    M. Aronson
    +6
    WTF? Kindly show me verifiable FACTS (not blog stuff) to make your cause against Obama as to his "destroying the environment." It tends to be Democrats who fight tooth and nail to protect all of us from pollution and other planet-destroying factors.

afterlife
  • Leeaqua Wyzard 2012/07/15 18:00:25
    Leeaqua
    +2
    Then why do the conservative ignorant keep voting against clean air and water and want the drill in Arctic REFUGE area for more dirty fossil fuel ??????
  • arkiii Leeaqua 2012/07/16 14:39:00
    arkiii
    i love the blanket statements with no proof. Why don't we also blame Liberal ignorants or do those not exist in your world?
  • Leeaqua arkiii 2012/07/17 17:49:10
    Leeaqua
    +1
    The proof is in every vote by the teabagger house republicans. I know, I have one in my district by the name of Vicky Hartzler. One of the most ignorant females to ever inhabit this planet. Let's everyone else do the thinking for her as long as it's along corporate lines . Clean air and clean water are not on her agenda and she's suppose to be a farmer to boot .
  • arkiii Leeaqua 2012/07/18 21:23:38
    arkiii
    hmmm. could it be that you are a Liberal Democrat and she is a conservative Republican and so you automatically oppose anything she favors? I read her voting record and did not find anything to support that she is against clean air or clean water???
  • Leeaqua arkiii 2012/07/19 14:36:36
    Leeaqua
    By voting in favor of Big Ag , she does do just that .
  • arkiii Leeaqua 2012/07/19 14:40:03
    arkiii
    please explain your logic? That makes no sense....
  • Leeaqua arkiii 2012/07/20 15:02:35
    Leeaqua
    Get an education and you might be able to figure it out yourself. If you can't see it, there is no hope for you .
  • arkiii Leeaqua 2012/07/20 23:12:08
    arkiii
    +1
    Great answer! If you don't know how to respond when someone calls you on something stupid you said, you resort to insults...that's the way you explain your position? really?
  • DFA Wyzard 2012/07/16 01:15:21
  • morris44 Wyzard 2012/07/17 18:57:24
    morris44
    Evidence of planet destruction by obama?
  • M. Aronson M. Aronson 2012/07/15 16:05:14
    M. Aronson
    +6
    The dumbest thing in the entire world is people who blame "Satan" for evil, as if human beings didn't have free will. What a load of crap! Religions encourage that kind of scapegoating because it stems from the opposite -- that their I.F. is responsible for the good things that happen. What a wonderful world this could be if people stopped following their religion and simply respected other people, animals, and environments!
  • Bloodle... M. Aronson 2012/07/28 03:46:28
    BloodlessVeins
    Amazing. I have my imaginary friends, but some points you make are interesting. Especially "humans have free will, yet Satan is the root for evil."
  • SAM4B 2012/07/15 14:24:07
    Very important
    SAM4B
    +1
    So Important

2014/09/02 02:17:43