How did you react to getting "shots" when you were a child?

callmesam 2011/01/15 21:09:29
Related Topics: Funny
I screamed and embarrassed my family until I was ____ years old.
I was very stoic. My parents were proud of me.
I still scream when I get injections.
I was an embarrassment to my mother, bless her! I had tonsillitis and ear infections constantly and had to get penicillin shots every time I turned around. OUCH! Those are painful.

One time, when I was waiting to get my before-first-grade immunizations, I ran out the door and down the stairs before they caught me.

When they were shooting me, I was screaming at the top of my lungs! One of the pediatricians walked by and said, "Scream a little louder, honey!" It is funny now looking back...

Today I am a blood donor. Needles do not bother me at all. I give myself B-12 injections twice a week, too.

Oh what a relief it is!

• mrdog 2011/01/16 10:05:08
    mrdog
    +5
    My method,,,, turned my head.... thought of cookies.... worked for me...bark

• Raylene D 2011/11/07 17:32:49
    Raylene D
    Can't say I embarrassed my parents, but I embarrassed myself. I got many shots because of my tonsils until the age of 12 when I had them out. This was back in the 50's with the old time family doctor and not like it is today. It was a small office and when you were waiting you could hear the other kids get shots and their screams. It just made it even worse. I was always waiting to hear the worst word out of the doctor's mouth, "penicillin" because that mean it was going to be a shot in the bottom and it was going to sting like crazy. The nurse would have me roll over on my tummy then pull down my panties before she left to get my shot and had my mom stand at the head of the table holding my hands. I could hear every footstep in the hall and my heart would race when it sounded like they were getting closer. Eventually I would hear the door open and quickly jerk my head around to see the shot in the nurse's hand. That's when the bawling started and it didn't stop until after the nurse left. What was most embarrassing is that the door would open an all the staff could see in the room. They would take my panties down near my ankles since I think they remembered how I reacted so I might try to pull them back up. Also the nurse would lean far across my legs because I think I must h...
    Can't say I embarrassed my parents, but I embarrassed myself. I got many shots because of my tonsils until the age of 12 when I had them out. This was back in the 50's with the old time family doctor and not like it is today. It was a small office and when you were waiting you could hear the other kids get shots and their screams. It just made it even worse. I was always waiting to hear the worst word out of the doctor's mouth, "penicillin" because that mean it was going to be a shot in the bottom and it was going to sting like crazy. The nurse would have me roll over on my tummy then pull down my panties before she left to get my shot and had my mom stand at the head of the table holding my hands. I could hear every footstep in the hall and my heart would race when it sounded like they were getting closer. Eventually I would hear the door open and quickly jerk my head around to see the shot in the nurse's hand. That's when the bawling started and it didn't stop until after the nurse left. What was most embarrassing is that the door would open an all the staff could see in the room. They would take my panties down near my ankles since I think they remembered how I reacted so I might try to pull them back up. Also the nurse would lean far across my legs because I think I must have kicked my legs up before. However, I was less embarrassed by my bottom being exposed than crying like a baby where they all could see when the nurse left. But I'm like you now I gave blood at work for seven years regularly as an adult.
  • Taylor 2011/01/20 23:54:21
    Taylor
    +1
    I remember crying because i had to get them, but when i got them i was fine
  • callmesam Taylor 2011/01/21 00:21:55
    callmesam
    +1
    I guess it was the anticipation that was the hardest part. Like so many other things in life!

Thanks for sharing!
  • Taylor callmesam 2011/01/21 01:11:21
    Taylor
    +1
    No problem(:
  • Diamond Girl 2011/01/20 17:00:13
  • callmesam Diamond... 2011/01/20 23:18:48
    callmesam
    +2
    That makes perfect sense. The injection needles are smaller, and are in and out. Quixk! The IV needles are large and have a "catheter" that has to be threaded into your vein. That hurts like H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks. Then, there it is, hanging there in your arm or hand, delivering whatever fluids or medications you might need. And sometimes they have to re-do it.

Makes perfect sense to me to have fears of having an IV. Not one of my greatest pleasures!

Thanks for sharing.
  • Romanov~PWCM~JLA 2011/01/20 16:53:27
    Romanov~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I was always a little leery of needles, but my dad always told me that men don't cry, and little boys are men too! But I do remember being in those lines in School where all the kids were getting their shots at the same time, and with all those crying kids it was real hard.
  • callmesam Romanov... 2011/01/20 23:26:18
    callmesam
    +1
    Too bad men used to think that men don't cry. I hope those days are over. Poor little boys who are told that! My son was rather sickly when he was smaller. I remember when they finally were giving him the RAD test for food allergies. I explained to him that the needle going into his arm would hurt and then would feel like something cold sticking in his skin. That helped him a great deal. I was the one who teared up. Then when he had to have his tonsils out the MD office gave us this BS book that told him how he'd have a slightly sore throat and then in a week or so, he'd be out playing with friends. I told him, 'Son, this book is not telling the truth. You are going to have the worst sore throat you have ever had in your life. It will be very painful. But it will get better and one day, as soon as you can, you'll feel like playing with your friends." That doctor almost got the book shoved up his bom.

And it still infuriates me when I hear some of these hick women threatening their children in the MD office if they don't behave the doctor is gonna come give em a shot. Boy, I could wring their necks!

Woo. Ventin on here!

Thanks for sharing your story. I think they should let kids cry if they need to when they get shots, as long as they aren't jerking around and causing themselves to be injured. Let them cry.
  • Romanov... callmesam 2011/01/24 00:50:29
    Romanov~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I do remember boys crying, it was probably just my dad who thought it was a sign of weakness. He is over 80, and I do not believe that I have ever seen him cry.
  • callmesam Romanov... 2011/01/24 01:29:49
    callmesam
    +1
    Wow. You've never seen him cry. I have known few men who don't cry. It is nice to know all people have emotions and compassion.

I like all the pictures of your puppies, and Gina is lovely! How many dogs you got?? All my critters are stuff animals. And I do have a lot of those. I'm not home enough for it to be fair to a pet for me to have one.

Take care, Romanov
  • Romanov... callmesam 2011/01/24 01:47:05
    Romanov~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Actually I have three, but my sister-laws dog stays with me too, so I count him as well. And thank you for the complement!
  • callmesam Romanov... 2011/01/24 02:00:18
    callmesam
    +1
    You are most welcome, Sir.
  • haarp35117 2011/01/19 06:40:31
    haarp35117
  • callmesam haarp35117 2011/01/19 11:25:59
    callmesam
    +1
    You make me feel better! I think I was 7 when I stopped. Can't believe I had all those cavities drilled without Novocaine!

Thanks for visiting.
  • ~♥Vixen Heart ~♥ 2011/01/18 14:19:31
  • callmesam ~♥Vixen... 2011/01/18 23:26:37
    callmesam
    +2
    It surely does! You squirmed around and tried to get away like I did!

I'm finally used to it, and I hope you are, too. Thanks for visitin, Heart!
  • CherryBaby 2011/01/17 18:50:30
  • callmesam CherryBaby 2011/01/17 19:08:42
    callmesam
    +3
    That is great!

Thanks for droppin in!
  • CherryBaby callmesam 2011/01/17 19:14:23
  • Sav 2011/01/17 18:39:07
    Sav
    +2
    till 8 i was a cry baby, but later on i found way how to escape doctor eat Vegetable since then i haven't seen doctors but dentist are still scary thats different story hahaha!!!!!!!!!
  • callmesam Sav 2011/01/17 18:42:54
    callmesam
    +2
    Veggies are good for you! I was a crybaby until maybe ?7 ?

Thanks for stoppin by!
  • Sav callmesam 2011/01/17 18:46:58
    Sav
    +2
    not a vegie by choice my mom made eat vegetable thrice a week but by force
  • callmesam Sav 2011/01/17 18:48:55
  • Dave**Gay for Girls** 2011/01/17 17:48:56
  • callmesam Dave**G... 2011/01/17 17:52:03
    callmesam
    +4
    OUCH !!
    ouch pin cushion butt
  • Sav callmesam 2011/01/17 18:27:53
    Sav
    +2
    thats 4 shots together that shoud be painfull
  • amazinggrace 2011/01/17 16:42:22
    amazinggrace
    +2
    Injections are light stuff, I hardly notice them.
  • callmesam amazing... 2011/01/17 16:52:15
    callmesam
    +3
    I'm glad for ya.

Thanks for visitin!
  • KMAN 2011/01/17 13:25:02
    KMAN
    +2
    I HATED GETTING NEEDLES WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND STILL HATE THEM. SOMETHINGS LEAVE BAD LASTING IMPRESSIONS. hated needles young hate somethings leave lasting impressions KID CRYING GETTING A NEEDLE
  • callmesam KMAN 2011/01/17 15:51:50
    callmesam
    +2
    Yes, they do!

Good to see ya, KMAN.
  • mae 2011/01/17 00:18:36
    mae
    +3
    Our family doctor was very good at giving shots to his young patients; he would keep us distracted by asking us silly questions and making us laugh, and always told us not to look and it wouldn't hurt so much, and he was right.
  • callmesam mae 2011/01/17 00:39:33
    callmesam
    +4
    Sounds like you had a very smart doctor.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Dean 2011/01/16 22:12:52
    Dean
    +3
    use to get all stiff and watch and wait for the pain and cringe..sort of like now a days but seems like it doesn't hurt as much or maybe they have gotten better at giving them. Use to smell the alcohol and get all nervous then had to start working in hospital so had to get over that real fast lol. hurt smell alcohol nervous working hospital real fast lol kid being given a injection hurt smell alcohol nervous working hospital real fast lol kid being given a injection
  • callmesam Dean 2011/01/16 22:15:23
    callmesam
    +3
    I still remember how Dr. Wilson's office smelled! Talk about major trauma !!!!!

Very cute pictures. Thanks.
  • Predators Eyez 2011/01/16 21:17:09
    Predators Eyez
    +3
    I was always getting sick as a kid, so I was use to all the poking and prodding. It was second nature to me.
  • callmesam Predato... 2011/01/16 21:19:46
    callmesam
    +4
    Wow. Altho I was often sick, I never got used to it.. until I was older.

Thanks for droppin by!
  • BONNIE 2011/01/16 20:39:06
    BONNIE
    +4
    Believe it or not, shots have never bothered me.
  • callmesam BONNIE 2011/01/16 21:03:11
    callmesam
    +4
    You are very lucky! I'm glad I'm over it now.

Thanks for visitin, my friend!
  • ahmad BONNIE 2011/01/16 21:06:12
  • callmesam ahmad 2011/01/16 21:10:52
    callmesam
    +5
    You can keep your frickin comments like this off my blog, you idiot. Now I'm going to block your sorry @$$

2014/10/23 00:18:27