How can you tell the difference between a box turtle and a snapper?

Sparklee 2011/06/04 15:33:32
Related Topics: animal
It must be mating season.They are out all over the place. I picked up two this week that were crossing the road,The other day there was one that was huge and he was on the side of the road,ready to start crossing. I called animal control and they came and moved it.It was a snapper ,but he didn't look that different except for his size.I'm glad I didn't touch him.How do you tell for sure?Serious answers only please.

• METALheadMom 2011/06/04 16:50:07 (edited)
    METALheadMom
    Are you serious? Just type in both images in your search..... seriously. type images search type images search
    PRETTY OBVIOUS DIFFERENCES TO ME!! THE SHELLS are the dead give away - snapping turtles do NOT have smooth shells.
  • Sparklee METALhe... 2011/06/04 18:02:57
    Sparklee
    It was a snapper and didn't look like the second turtle at all. He looked more like the first except his shell was all one color.
  • Prime Time Lime 2011/06/04 15:44:05 (edited)
    Prime Time Lime
    +2
    The snapping turtle has a large beak,sort of shaped like a parrots beak.It has a longer neck and will hiss at you like a snake.Also if it feels danger it will snap at you with a loud snapping sound.If you pick one up you need to have your hands far back on it's shell in order not to be bitten because of it's long neck.I caught a baby one,and a full grown one,and they need to be respected.The box turtle does not hiss and is quite docile ,and I have saved a few of these types from the road as well..
  • Sparklee Prime T... 2011/06/04 15:47:47
    Sparklee
    +1
    This one wasn't hissing,but I will remember what to look for.Thanks so much for answering:)
  • Prime T... Sparklee 2011/06/04 15:51:05
    Prime Time Lime
    +2
    You are welcome.You will notice right away a snapping turtle for they will never let you pick them up.They give you a warning with their hissing.I picked up a very large one and the neck was so long it could reach about half way back on it's shell. :)
  • Sparklee Prime T... 2011/06/04 15:58:08
    Sparklee
    +1
    That's what I heard.I was afraid to pick him up.He was so huge, I don't think I could have anyway's.I stayed with him until help arrived.Last week there was a big turtle dead in the middle of the road.I don't like to think about it.How do people hit turtles?It's like a big rock in the road that seem's hard to miss.Some people just don't care.I'm glad most do:)
  • Prime T... Sparklee 2011/06/04 16:07:29
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    I try to save the turtles from the road as well.I do not like to see any animal,tame or wild,to get run over.
  • Imperio... Sparklee 2011/06/04 20:20:37
  • Prime T... Imperio... 2011/06/04 20:27:41 (edited)
    Prime Time Lime
    Apparently they can bite off a finger quite easily.I think they are predatory animals and are carnivores with males growing on the average 26 inch shells and weigh around 175 pounds.The one I picked up must have been young,and weighed about 75 pounds.
  • Imperio... Prime T... 2011/06/04 20:32:59

2014/11/26 16:23:04