Have you ever saved someones life

ben 2012/07/22 08:26:14
yes
no
my high school girlfried was depressed andswallowed a handfull plus of pills. we were on the phone and so right after i hung up..i called the medics..and boy was she mad at me for a little while. we still stayed together after that. lol

• XxJamberxX 2012/10/07 23:39:28
    no
    XxJamberxX
    I never had that opportunity
  • Treasure ♥ijm♥ 2012/07/24 04:15:38
    yes
    Treasure ♥ijm♥
    I helped save someone from killing themselves....a few years ago.
  • Mrkando 2012/07/24 04:13:53
    no
    Mrkando
    +1
    Good for you. It's much better that she was mad at you and not dead. :-)
  • ☮ Ron ☮ Paul ☮ 2012! ☮ 2012/07/24 01:25:43
    yes
    ☮ Ron ☮ Paul ☮ 2012! ☮
    I've killed many brown recluse spiders so that my family can sleep safe at night. (That has to count for something!)
  • being me 2012/07/23 22:17:13 (edited)
    no
    being me
    +1
    More like "who knows". Everyone plays a small part in someones life every day. Whether it be a word or jesture. It is possible that some kind word or act could cause someone to change their mind about suicide or make a decision that keeps them from getting into a wreck. That's one reason why I do my best to stay positive and not say anything negative. I never know how my actions may effect someone else.
  • john Kills 2012/07/23 22:02:17
    yes
    john Kills
    From hypothermia and shock.
  • TuringsChild 2012/07/23 20:40:51
    yes
    TuringsChild
    Probably more times than I know. There was the kid that ran out from between parked cars in front of me. My hand moved the wheel, avoiding him, before I consciously recognized the danger.
    Another time while the family was playing in a pool, our youngest son kept running around the perimeter, wanting to join in the fun. He got behind me and jumped in before I knew what he'd done, and was floating face down literally two seconds later. A moment later I was under him, pushing him and about 10 gallons of pool water out onto the pavement.
    He was fine.
  • jgh57 2012/07/23 20:39:59
    yes
    jgh57
    I was a Fireman/EMT for 5 years and I've been a RN for over 25 years.
  • Andy 2012/07/23 20:10:29
    yes
    Andy
    car wreck...
  • firelooker 2012/07/23 19:24:23
    yes
    firelooker
    Not me alone but as an EMT on the local fire dept we responded to several life threatening emergencies over the years.
  • littlebearwillbiteu 2012/07/23 10:39:53
    no
    littlebearwillbiteu
    not that i recall...
  • kay 2012/07/23 04:21:53
    yes
    kay
    +1
    I have talked quite a few people out of suicide and even took a knife out of someones hand when they were trying to do it.
  • ben kay 2012/07/23 16:45:00
    ben
    +1
    you're a trooper. really nice to know that there are people to help you out of situations like these :-))
  • mamacrash 2012/07/23 03:39:02
    yes
    mamacrash
    +1
    Like I did years ago most people will jump in when someone is truly in trouble.
  • ben mamacrash 2012/07/23 16:45:58
    ben
    all we need to do is pay attention and see or listen to the warning signs
  • Catnip "Guru" ∞ 2012/07/23 02:37:33
    yes
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    +1
    Or so I've been told...evey time I donate blood. I'm in the 3 gallon club.
  • mamacrash Catnip ... 2012/07/23 03:40:11
    mamacrash
    +1
    Good job, I do whole blood and apheresis. Best feeling you can ever have.
  • ben Catnip ... 2012/07/23 16:46:59
    ben
    +1
    you know what...i havent done that for years..thanks. :-))
  • Catnip ... ben 2012/07/25 10:54:28
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    You should go for it again!
  • ben Catnip ... 2012/08/13 23:53:49
    ben
    next month..blood drive lol
  • Catnip ... ben 2012/08/14 01:32:43
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    Cool! I got a vein just waiting to be tapped.
  • mamacrash Catnip ... 2012/07/30 03:55:45
    mamacrash
    Good on ya, I am up to 16 gallons and love the feeling donating gives me. More people should, it really doesn't hurt and the new 1 needle apheresis donation is fab, Try it if you haven't.
  • Catnip ... mamacrash 2012/07/30 13:11:24
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    I just look away when they stick the needle in.
  • mamacrash Catnip ... 2012/08/09 12:57:45
    mamacrash
    Don't watch just save a life and feel better for it.
  • lark 2012/07/23 01:04:20
    yes
    lark
    in my youth I was a lifeguard and did, it was my job though. I also had a women at work not show up for work & didn't call, I had to ask my boss if I could leave and find her. She didn't answer the door so I climber up & looked thru windows til I saw her. She had a stroke & couldn't move. I called for help, they broke in & saved her life.
  • ben lark 2012/07/23 16:50:06
    ben
    no..it wasnt just a job for you..you do care about these individuals..you went beyond it being a joy way before you encountered the woman with the stroke :-)) is you career choice one that has to do with helping others live?
  • lark ben 2012/07/23 17:28:19
    lark
    No I wanted to but you know life stuff happened. I do like my life & love my family so it's all good.
  • Katherine 2012/07/23 00:55:14
    no
    Katherine
    Compared to others, not really. My high school friend slit her wrists. I saw the bandage on her and broke my ethical code of not ratting and told some high school administrators or something. She hated me at first but thanked me later. She has a son now. Jason.
  • ben Katherine 2012/07/23 16:54:22
    ben
    so many ways of saving a life..when we help someone change their path..one that's leading to death..credit is due. you said she was mad at you for a while..she wasnt mad for nothing. my h.s. girlfriends was mad too..and she has 4 chldren now..3 boys..1 girl lol :-))
  • lark Katherine 2012/07/23 17:29:20
    lark
    You are a life saver. 2 lives at that
  • Katherine lark 2012/07/23 18:06:32
    Katherine
    Thank you. Both.
    yes
    +1
    In 1984, in the days when IBM Corporation had its "Product Centers," I worked at one, in downtown Houston, TX. On one afternoon, I took off in the middle of the day, to get an eye check.

I stepped up to my car and was about to haul out my keys, when I heard a woman screaming.

I looked up. And there, about ten feet in front of me, inside a compact car, was a young woman, yelling for all she was worth: "HELP ME! HELP ME!"

And a man inside the car with her, on the passenger side, with both hands locked around her throat.

I dashed up to to that passenger-side door and started to pound on the window. "GET OUT OF THAT CAR! NOW!" I shouted. And when he would not stop what he was doing, I tried the door. I played a hunch that he had forced his way in, and had not taken the time to lock anyone out.

The door swung open in my hands.

*Now* he got out.

We faced each other, eyeball to eyeball, with that car door between us...

...and, so help me, he *whined* at me, "Hey, you, she done me wrong."

I glanced at her, and she started screaming again. (She had stopped when he had let go her throat.)

I faced him again, and said, "Go on!"

He turned tail and ran like a rabbit.

And I suddenly had my arms full of about 110 pounds of warm, quivering woman. "Thank you, God," she said over and...

The door swung open in my hands.

*Now* he got out.

I faced him again, and said, "Go on!"

He turned tail and ran like a rabbit.

And I suddenly had my arms full of about 110 pounds of warm, quivering woman. "Thank you, God," she said over and over. And then she said, "Please take me somewhere. I can't drive."

Out of the corner of my eye, I had seen the assailant dash to the stairwell door and go through it. So I figured that he wouldn't give us *any more trouble.*

So I made sure she locked her door and took her keys. Then I drove her to where my designated driver was waiting for me. (Those were the days when optometrists and ophthalmologists routinely squirted Adrenalin into your eyes when they examined them for refractive error, so I knew that after it was done, I'd need someone else to drive me away from there.)

To make the long story short, I dropped this woman off at the emergency room of Bellaire General Hospital, while I went on to a professional building and had the eye check done. I passed.

My only regret is that the Harris County DA's office never once called me to testify in any criminal matter involving this woman. For that matter, neither did the Houston Police Department call me to come in and look at a line-up. (They tried to tell me about some black suspect who had suffered a chemical scar to his face, but I told them that the assailant had been white, so don't show me any chemically scarred men.) So I assume that the perp got away with it that time.

But at least she survived that particular experience.

At least, on that occasion, murder was *not* done.
  • ben Temlako... 2012/07/23 16:57:22
    ben
    +1
    wow..riskey... but all in a days work for you lol great ..if it were my daughter in that situation..i'd love to have someone like you around :-))
  • Temlako... ben 2012/07/23 19:09:50
    Thanks for the kind words.

Actually, I made another calculation: that, had the perp been armed, he'd have been using, or at least brandishing, his weapon. Instead he was using his hands. I also calculated that I could match him in a fight, if it came to that. I did *not* calculate on being able to restrain him, or to argue about it later ("citizen's arrest", etc.). All I cared about was chasing him away, and then taking care of the girl.

The next day, the store manager was speechless. His assistant told me, "What you did was commendable, and I'm sure the lady in the case was grateful, but it was not very smart!" But he wasn't angry with me. He reserved his anger for the parking-garage management who would let a whacked-out so-and-so get in there and threaten someone. The next time, it might be one of the women in the store! You can imagine that he went to the parking-garage office and raised Cain.

Then he came back and summoned all the women in the office to tell them what happened. He gave strict orders that no woman ever go out to that parking garage without an escort.

The other guys in the office, mostly temp guys like me, said, "Wowza!" The store's bookkeeper said, "If it had been me, that guy would be stretched out on the concrete." I smiled and said, "I know you're my superv...

Thanks for the kind words.

The other guys in the office, mostly temp guys like me, said, "Wowza!" The store's bookkeeper said, "If it had been me, that guy would be stretched out on the concrete." I smiled and said, "I know you're my supervisor and all that, but you cannot know what you would do in a situation like that, until you're in it."

You can imagine how the ladies took that story. If I didn't already have a steady lady (who, by the way, was my "designated driver" for the eye check), I would likely have found one then.
  • firelooker Temlako... 2012/07/23 19:28:06
    firelooker
    +1
    It's a great feeling to rescue someone from danger. Did it for 18 yrs as a an EMT.
  • MarinerFH 2012/07/22 23:32:48
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2012/07/22 23:20:13
    yes
    SoCalEx-Dem
    +1
    My husband used to overdose on a regular bases, I spent many hours walking him after injecting him with coffee. He finally overdosed away from home and is no longer with us.
  • ben SoCalEx... 2012/07/23 17:00:49
    ben
    +2
    sory to hear that he didnt quit..but you did a fantatic job with him...he would go to a professional for help?..it would have made it easier on you..and more options. i hope you're enjoying life..you deserve it :-))
  • SoCalEx... ben 2012/07/23 17:10:17
    SoCalEx-Dem
    Its been many years, but at the time in the 70's there were no options for help. I'm fine now. Thanks!
  • Diane 2012/07/22 21:51:05
    no
    Diane
    +2
    But The Good Lord has! bragging is a sin! and to say that I have saved someones life is bragging. I don't know how else to put that! that is a wide open question, but no matter how you look at it, we are all God's tool and he uses us to do his work~

2014/11/28 04:26:32