Have you been objectified?

Keith 2012/07/19 18:01:25
Related Topics: Tool, Owned, 2011, 2010

Feminist Perspectives on Objectification
First published Wed Mar 10, 2010; substantive revision Tue Jun 28, 2011

Objectification is a notion central to feminist theory. It can be roughly defined as the seeing and/or treating a person, usually a woman, as an object. In this entry, the focus is primarily on sexual objectification, objectification occurring in the sexual realm. Martha Nussbaum (1995, 257) has identified seven features that are involved in the idea of treating a person as an object:

1. instrumentality: the treatment of a person as a tool for the objectifier's purposes;
  2. denial of autonomy: the treatment of a person as lacking in autonomy and self-determination;
  3. inertness: the treatment of a person as lacking in agency, and perhaps also in activity;
  4. fungibility: the treatment of a person as interchangeable with other objects;
  5. violability: the treatment of a person as lacking in boundary-integrity;
  6. ownership: the treatment of a person as something that is owned by another (can be bought or sold);
  7. denial of subjectivity: the treatment of a person as something whose experiences and feelings (if any) need not be taken into account.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/feminism-objectification/

• Mother nature is biased 2012/08/05 03:24:20
    Mother nature is biased
    +1
    Most men are objectified in regards to their 'usefulness' to their female counterparts in most countries. It is the main reason why most Western countries care so much about the women not having the same educational opportunities in places such as the Middle East while completely disregarding the number of child soldiers (many against their will) to die in combat.

Men and boys getting shelled in large and obscene numbers? That's bad. Women and girls don't get as good of an education as 'the West' believes they should? Well, we need to do something about that.
  • Mother nature is biased 2012/07/19 20:48:44
    Mother nature is biased
    +1
    Yes. I'm objectified as a man every time a woman gauges me by what car I drive, how expensive my house appears, how willing I am to protect her from stuff (disposability) and everytime I must offer my seat to a female just because she is female.

Or you can just have a look here: http://your-perception-is-you...

2014/10/02 10:48:01