Has your education system failed you??...

Jersey Roze ♥Jwon's Cyar'ika ♥ 2012/06/18 04:24:06
Related Topics: Education, Times, SodaHead, Time
This has been said to me a few times on this site, and I see it being said really often to other Sodaheads...

• BloodlessVeins 2012/06/18 20:57:13
    No...
    BloodlessVeins
    +6
    My "education" system exceedes public school. It includes my father-my best teacher, life itself-learn things for yourself. There are lots of books and stories I take example from.

• CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/18 20:24:08
    Yes...
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Ceelectid da rong wun. Ize ment ta ceelect no cuz it aint dun faild me yet.
  • Anca 2012/06/18 19:49:49
    No...
    Anca
    +2
    i don't know what to say about the next generations though.
  • michael 2012/06/18 19:15:36
    Yes...
    michael
    +2
    Yes it has created a generation of former students who are deeply endebted to student loans--I say a college education shouldn't either cost more than a house or ruin you professionally
  • caius m... michael 2012/06/18 21:58:43
    caius madison
    +1
    If you need further education to become a simple barber, then I think there should be more than 12 grades before you are done with basic education. Add anothee 2 years to the curriculum and see what that does for us(community college/trade schooling) in the long run.
  • michael caius m... 2012/06/18 22:07:30
    michael
    +1
    you are linving in a fantasy land...your views would limit people with ablity by making colleges only for the rich and not the poor. I mena do you know the price of community colleges in Florida....Metro-Dade is a very exspensive school
  • caius m... michael 2012/06/19 00:24:56
    caius madison
    +1
    That's a very Republican thing of you to say. No, it would increase the general populous's general education making college unecessary for most people, as trades would fall under general education, and not require you to pay out the ass to learn a certified career. Schools already fail to give much to you besides knowledge in raw form. The experience that is life is not teachable, but some things should be taught by default.
  • Amy.[: 2012/06/18 18:11:43
    No...
    Amy.[:
    +1
    i dont think so
  • baboula 2012/06/18 18:03:45
    No...
    baboula
    +1
    Didn't fail me, I went to schools overseas which still taught - but I can't say the same for many of the next generation.
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2012/06/18 17:36:31
    No...
    SoCalEx-Dem
    +2
    I went to Catholic School. Not among the indoctrinated by the public schools. Thank God! My mother was a single parent and worked as a waitress at two jobs to send her three children to Catholic School. Much sacrifice on her part, so we learned and did well in school.
  • Smokey 2012/06/18 17:02:02
    No...
    Smokey
    +1
    I'm an Engineer, so probably not. ;)
  • ~[Rachel Mariee]~ 2012/06/18 16:53:48
    Other...
    ~[Rachel Mariee]~
    +2
    not completely!
  • Vinny 2012/06/18 16:42:45
    Yes...
    Vinny
    +3
    I think education it's failing my daughter who hates her teachers hates going to school, she say's they don't even teach her anything!! Why the hell do we pay all those fees for? for them to fail!!
  • Smokey Vinny 2012/06/18 17:04:20
    Smokey
    +3
    Vinny, calm down, calm down. First of all, you live in New Zealand... it's a very nice place where you live, and your economy is not doing that bad. Have faith my friend. You're daughter will do well in life. It's not the amount of $$$ you spend on education. It's the quality of the material that they receive.

What is your profession? Do they have any internship programs in New Zealand for young students?

Smokey
  • Vinny Smokey 2012/06/19 02:02:07
  • Happy 2012/06/18 16:01:44
    No...
    Happy
    +1
    I am doing quite well in the education system
  • Chase Martin 2012/06/18 15:46:54
    No...
    Chase Martin
    +1
    Nope...i took responsibility for my own education and studied hard through high school :P
  • Vision of Verve 2012/06/18 15:21:58
  • mikeyavelli 2012/06/18 14:38:31
    No...
    mikeyavelli
    +1
    nit htut i no ov.
  • Keith 2012/06/18 13:06:27
    No...
    Keith
    +1
    Your education experience is what you make of it. Get your degree in something you are interested in, are good at, and is marketable. Be realistic with yourself, have a realistic plan and stick to it despite initial failures.
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/06/18 12:17:20 (edited)
    No...
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +1
    My Education system fails weak minded people by indoctrinating them. If you are strong minded and intelligent enough to escape it, then you can flourish. My teachers are mostly very supportive, and are always willing to give you help, careers advice or just have a chat. I love my school! They also let you get ahead of the other students, in Maths I finished the GCSE early and continued to further studies, and I am doing a third science GCSE for the brightest students.
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/06/18 12:01:33
    Yes...
    Elaine Magliacane
    +1
    Not me personally, but my grandson is not getting a decent education. Thankfully, my daughter is home schooling my grand daughters so they can read and write and do math.... unlike the boy who goes to government schools.
  • Earthly Resident 2012/06/18 11:58:10
    Yes...
    Earthly Resident
    +1
    indead it certainly has, once i got out of school and started getting out in the world, i realized that most of my teachers weren't rlly teaching hardly anything useful. especially my science classes, which i suspect the reason for that is they either didn't know or they were creationists. either way they definitely failed me big time
  • ttfndude 2012/06/18 11:09:58
    Yes...
    ttfndude
    +1
    and has for many because when a person receives an education they are not also given the tools to use it in the "real" world......if that is what you are asking
  • Swan Eshdeh 2012/06/18 10:55:39
    No...
    Swan Eshdeh
    +1
    no i don't think so .thank god!
  • BobbyOdd 2012/06/18 10:11:56
    No...
    BobbyOdd
    +1
    got my degree from OSU and got a career.
  • SicFux651 2012/06/18 09:50:02
    Yes...
    SicFux651
    +1
    when if you cant do something they make you feel stupid by making you fail the whole class
  • Bob DiN 2012/06/18 09:47:27
    No...
    Bob DiN
    +1
    No but it did for my children. Today they need a tutor to learn because the public school system stinks.
  • cddjmikey 2012/06/18 09:44:08
    No...
    cddjmikey
    +2
    It doesn't seem like it has failed you either. It has failed a whole lot of people though. I cringe every time I see one of those man on the street quiz shows. The other day I was watching Repo Games. The question asked was who is considered to be the Father of our country ? The answer they gave was Bill Clinton ? Say what ? This kind of thing makes me worry about our countries future. For every Ken Jennings out there there are a dozen who probably don't even know who the president is now ! There really needs to be a great clean up of the system and get it back where it was. We need to be back on top in math and science ! No more political indoctrination or PC madness or Social Engineering, JUST THE BASICS !!
  • DutchHeretic Native non-Ame... 2012/06/18 09:13:10 (edited)
    No...
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    +3
    Because as a Dutchman I had a Dutch education which was considered one of the top 10 best in the world back then (before this privatization madness started)
    But people here on SH (who don't even have a clue where my country is) say the same to me , just don't take them serious

And you Rose, my friend, are one of the smartest ones around , they are just jealous
  • Anonymo... DutchHe... 2012/06/18 12:24:41
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +1
    What was the Dutch system like before privatisation then?
  • DutchHe... Anonymo... 2012/06/18 15:19:15
    DutchHeretic Native non-American
    +1
    on the 7th place in the top 10, and now somewhere in the 30
  • Anonymo... DutchHe... 2012/06/18 16:24:09
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +1
    In what ways was it privatised?
  • Brian 2012/06/18 08:46:30
    Other...
    Brian
    +2
    The answer really is whether you've failed yourself or not, it is primarily up to you to work to absorb the education being offered. You can have the best education system in the world and if a student doesn't work to gain the knowledge then the true failure is with them.

And Roze from what I can tell you've done a superb job of Not failing you're self, keep up the good work.
  • Pops 2012/06/18 08:29:56
    No...
    Pops
    +2
    No it was going quite well then.
  • vetogod 2012/06/18 08:05:48
    Other...
    vetogod
    +2
    it has done more than fail me teachers in this state are too concerned with pay checks instead of being there to help you all my teachers except for maybe five have been pissy as hell like my math teacher in Brighton jr high god damn she was the worst , i would be doing my assignment quietly and she would come up take the piece of paper tear it up and give me a new sheet and say we are doing this on the white board this is a CLASS assignment and i cant focus in front of a group of people watching me and every day i kept failing until i finally just snapped i ended up punching her in the face and running out of school, our school systems also are way too under funded i think i mean in computer lit they had a book that was saying this new floppy disk drive is a device to let you store and read information stored on a floppy diskette and holy crap thats computer lit? i knew more with out that book cause i work on my own computer that now has the all new cd encoder and decoder as well as blue ray drive and a updated mother board and hard drive with a few modifications i welded a cup holder to the computer chassy and a cup is welded to the chassy so i can keep my pens and stuff organized
  • ZB 2012/06/18 07:42:17
    No...
    ZB
    +2
    Just the politicians that administer it. The teachers in my district do the best they can with the little they get.
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2012/06/18 07:36:58
    No...
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +4
    I learned more on my own from reading, reading, reading!!! A high school education gives you an outline and hopefully curiousity to continue to learn...being a history guy I get pissed off/irritated when people don't know timelines....I've got some putz on another question who doesn't understand BC and AD for crying out loud...he believes Jesus was alive in 325 AD......that's just not going to happen now is it? LOL
  • Pele Em... Bob, th... 2012/06/18 12:35:23
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    Never argue with a history teacher about dates.
  • Don Leuty 2012/06/18 07:13:06
    Yes...
    Don Leuty
    +2
    Ooops. meant to click no... senior moment. I was fortunate to grow up in a great school district. I settle a few miles from Ft. Worth and the district I am in is top notch and makes me proud to support it with my taxes. Two grandsons, three nieces and a nephew have benefited from this area's dedication to our future citizens.
  • Sodaz56 2012/06/18 06:57:04
    Yes...
    Sodaz56
    +2
    As a child I was commonly moved around classes because I was more advanced. At one point I skipped a grade. Then P.E. was just 30 minutes and they did NOT do anything but jumping jacks or fake baseball. Recess, was 20 minutes. The teachers had no dress code so on teacher came to school in a strapless dress with heavy makeup. They all wonder why kids could be mistaken as a bear.

2014/04/18 18:21:29