FUNERALS: when someone is cremated, why dont they have a funeral? Cost only?

stevegtexas@aol.com 2011/09/27 15:07:25

• Sunshine 2011/09/27 15:26:39
    Sunshine
    +3
    We DO have funeral services, but we call them "Memorial services." I had my own son cremated, and we held a memorial service to celebrate his life. I have attended numerous "Memorial services," and they are very touching. I have WRITTEN my wishes for when I die; there will NOT be a "viewing" because I want people to remember me as I WAS, not in a casket, made up by some professional, and I have SPECIFICALLY written that my body is NOT to be put "On display" for a "viewing." I have also specified that there are to be NO SAD SONGS OR DRAGGY TEMPOS. I want to be sent out WITH JOY!

• Joey Constanza 3 days ago
    Joey Constanza
    +2
    My grandpa requested that when he dies to be cremated so that way he can return to the Earth from which he came from. I don't know much about funeral services. I do hope that what he wants will not be as expensive as a normal funeral. http://www.affordablecrematio...
  • lucky 2011/09/28 14:13:04
    lucky
    I cant speak for other people but for myself when i die I plan on being cremated but I do not want a funeral or memorial service, my beliefs are that mourning the loss of a life is a private affair and not a spectacle for people to watch.
  • Thank you but no... 2011/09/28 14:09:28
    Thank you but no...
    When people are cremated they do have a funeral usually.
  • Gordon 2011/09/27 22:56:35
    Gordon
    Both of my brothers died young and both were cremated. We had church funerals for both, with suppers afterwards to celebrate their lives. They were both Episcopalians, and they conduct reverant funerals. http://www.has.vcu.edu/soc/rd...
  • MYSTIC MYSTIQUE 2011/09/27 22:40:56
    MYSTIC MYSTIQUE
    Its the cost.....some people who are cremated do have a funeral because you save more money that way.....
  • Jrogers 2011/09/27 22:13:13
    Jrogers
    Most people do have some type of service to go along with the cremation - I had a Native American service for my sister with a Pipe Carrier from the Black Turkey Clan - and I was raised Catholic - The Catholic relatives thought the service was beautiful.
  • Doc. J 2011/09/27 18:06:39
    Doc. J
    +1
    Very likely because those of us who arn't into being "planted" don't really care for the all the ritual that goes with it.
  • Cat 1017 Doc. J 2011/09/27 18:11:39
    Cat 1017
    +1
    Absolutely...I always despised the idea of being on display....If you remember me when I was alive thats enough for me....
  • Doc. J Cat 1017 2011/09/27 18:32:58
    Doc. J
    I'm not big on the idea of being "planted" either.
    Especially since nothing is going to grow.

Now, there is a variation I read about I did like. I can't remember where it's done, but the body is buried until it has completely decomposed from the skeleton. Then it is disintered, and the skull, minus the lower jaw is removed. The body is disposed of, and the skull....is painted and decorated by the family, then either stored in it's own "cubby hole" in a crypt, or taken home and placed in a position of honor in the home.
    I'd be o.k. with that as long as someone remembered to dust me now and then.
    Hell, they could even use me as a papaerweight.
    Decorated Human skull Decorated Human skull
  • Cat 1017 Doc. J 2011/09/28 13:34:25
    Cat 1017
    +1
    UH UH.. YIKES.....Thats a bit creepy to me...cremation is a better idea, to me....
  • LB 2011/09/27 17:26:14
    LB
    I was at a funeral once for a person who was cremated.
  • 2226693 2011/09/27 17:24:13
  • Boris Badinov 2011/09/27 16:54:28
    Boris Badinov
    I associate the word 'funeral' with a Christian religious recognition and remembering of the departed. I am assuming that what you describe is the omission of the Christian religious aspect.
  • Kat 2011/09/27 16:53:48
    Kat
    The last 3 funerals I went to were all cremated. So you can have a funeral, viewing is usually not done as the body is not embalmed. But all 3 had a gathering before the service.
  • schjaz 2011/09/27 16:42:14
    schjaz
    +1
    In my case, it has nothing to do with cost. I do not believe in funerals.
  • drreverol 2011/09/27 16:38:11
    drreverol
    I have no idea of anything under that subject.
  • starguide 2011/09/27 16:29:13
    starguide
    they do have
  • Tresa 2011/09/27 16:01:27
    Tresa
    I have been to several funeral services where the person was cremated. You just skip the graveside part.
  • Tommy 2011/09/27 15:58:03
    Tommy
    +2
    What makes you think there is no funeral? A funeral is not confined to those where the deceased is buried.
  • FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2011/09/27 15:43:17
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +1
    You can have a funeral with a cremation if you want... or you can stick the ashes in a Folgers can and throw them off a cliff.
  • stevegt... FAWKES'... 2011/09/27 16:04:21 (edited)
  • FAWKES'... stevegt... 2011/09/27 16:08:13
  • Zammo FAWKES'... 2011/09/27 16:30:32
    Zammo
    +1
    That's terrible! You should use a more exclusive brand coffee can for cremation!
  • FAWKES'... Zammo 2011/09/27 16:34:51
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +1
    They got the coffee can from the lunch room at the mortuary lol.
  • Zammo FAWKES'... 2011/09/27 16:43:25
    Zammo
    +1
    Oh, man! When did you meet my relatives?
  • Lerro DeHazel 2011/09/27 15:34:13
    Lerro DeHazel
    I have been to several Funerals and the remains were cremated . . . The last one was just this past April 3rd . . . My late brother passed away from a Heart Attack . . . I lost my best friend in 1995 and the same thing; Cremated and Funeral . . . No cost was related in any way what-so-ever . . . I mean it wasn't an issue at all . . . When I was a kid, the same exact circumstance(s) . . . So, I'm trying to think in terms of how time or Era might play a roll in support of your Question, etc. I just don't see it. Sorry. There has got to be more to this or there is something that you left-out, etc. I really don't understand how the Funeral, Cremation, "Not Having" . . . And Cost are relative, here . . . Are you absolutely sure that you want the Question to remain as is? . . .
  • LittleMistersMom 2011/09/27 15:33:29
    LittleMistersMom
    I have been to funerals for those who were cremated. They just had the pot with the ashes up front surrounded by photos of the individual.
  • Sunshine 2011/09/27 15:26:39
    Sunshine
    +3
  • Lerro D... Sunshine 2011/09/27 15:49:31
    Lerro DeHazel
    What you are saying is not new . . . I remember a close family-friend requested that everyone be cheerful in 1959 when he was killed in an auto-crash . . . He got his wish . . . I mean there was actually a party . . . Lots of food . . . No drink; per se; I mean Ice Tea and Water . . . But no Chivas Regal, Jack Daniels Black Label, or Pierre Smirnoff, etc. Have you ever attended a Gypsy Funeral? . . . We had a Wake for my late Daughter and the Funeral Home where we had it was really rocking-and-rolling, so to speak, because some Gypsy Woman had passed away and her remains were next door to us; but obviously in the same building . . . Although, they were a much smaller group; smaller in numbers of attendees than what we had at the ceremonial interment for my Daughter; and I don't mind telling you . . . They were REALLY making a lot of noise with their dancing and carrying-on; party and merriment, etc. , , , And this wasn't that long ago, either . . . I'm talking July 2007 . . .
    Most remeberances are simple wakes where friends and family are invited and we all celebrate their lives. Yes, we will miss them in the here and now, but it is the celebration of their lives that we really want to remember.

Besides all a funderal is, is another way of organized religion to control the members of the congregation and continue to put false dogma, doctrines and beliefs into the congregations heads.
  • POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2011/09/27 15:11:03
    POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    My brother had a viewing then was cremated. My dad was cremated then we had a memorial service with both of their ashes placed in the same grave.
  • Doc 2011/09/27 15:08:50
    Doc
    +1
    It gets too hot?
  • stevegt... Doc 2011/09/27 15:11:50

2014/10/21 00:50:14