Everyone's moving to Texas, but you need to know this...

flaca BN-0 2011/03/14 04:02:56
Related Topics: Live
Texas ain't a union state. Texas loves business. Texas is cheap: housing is cheap (trust me the housing here is really cheap: cheaply made and kinda crappy but still big)

I live in Texas and if you want to move here you should know this:
1. Texas is 100% in favor of employers, not employees
2. There are few rules here so you could wake up one morning to find a Jiffy-Lube being built right next to your house (no planning restrictions)
3. There are plenty of jobs, but your employer can fire you at will, without ever having to give a rational explanation of why. (could be nepotism and that's OK here)
4. Don't live south. It's a land of pollutants and oil refineries. If you want cancer, try it.
5. The average home does not have a bookcase
6. Texans are nice and friendly, but if you're educated it's a wasteland
7. Everyone moves here (especially californians) because huge, crappily built houses are cheap, but remember.....................they're cheap for a reason.

So, before you think Texas is kumba ya land. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

• JHup BN-0 2011/03/14 05:02:05
    JHup BN-0
    +4
    Can't move anywhere for a LONG time (retirement keeps moving more out of reach all the time!), but I would LOVE to move to Austin!! retirement moving reach love austin retirement moving reach love austin central market austin tx

• SouthernB 2011/04/06 00:19:30
    SouthernB
    Actually, most of the things that you mention are plusses, in my opinion. And speaking on personal experience, as one who has visited Texas often for business it's about like any other state, a mix of those lacking in their education, but also plenty of well educated individuals. I'm happy where I am but I would not mind living in Texas one bit.
  • Beer30 2011/03/18 22:11:45
    Beer30
    Flaca, one advantage to Texas is, there's always an overflow of incoming U-Hauls from people leaving all the other states. They'd almost pay YOU to drive one back someplace else.

From the sound of some of your smirky responders here, it seems THEY would too!
    Happy trails.
  • AlexanderMontalvo 2011/03/17 02:08:15
    AlexanderMontalvo
    +1
    You sound as stupid is when sitting on a stool in an out-house during a hurricane.
  • Judson 3:16 2011/03/16 20:23:36
    Judson 3:16
    My nex move will most likely be Texas possibly Austin..ooohhh fun and booming economy..
  • keeper 2011/03/16 00:49:47
    keeper
    +1
    Why the sam hill do you still live here with that attitude? I think Texas is one of the finest places on earth.
  • James 2011/03/15 03:49:56
  • captkirk999 2011/03/14 23:00:58
    captkirk999
    Why am not surprised
  • icymore 2011/03/14 18:31:14
    icymore
    +1
    Arkansas is even worse.
  • flaca BN-0 icymore 2011/03/15 04:42:48
    flaca BN-0
    it is? LOL but I hear you have some cool lakes right?
  • icymore flaca BN-0 2011/03/15 07:32:55
    icymore
    I'm in southern arkansas now, and the beautiful lakes and mountains are up north. Down here we just have stinky pollution. I swear, south AR and north LA smell terrible. I guess it's the oil refineries?

I never thought I would miss TX. That's how bad AR is, I guess! but TX is only slightly better.
  • Huki68 2011/03/14 18:15:21
    Huki68
    +1
    Great post Flaca that so true
  • wolfshadow 2011/03/14 15:17:04
    wolfshadow
    +2
    I'll tell you what... you arrange for the uhaul and I will take up a collection. You can always move your ass out of here.
  • bigeasy628 2011/03/14 13:48:25
    bigeasy628
    +2
    Well you are welcome to move to Ohio its an "at will" state as is most others
  • Texoma 2011/03/14 13:48:07
    Texoma
    +2
    I left California and moved to Texas. Best decision I ever made given the work and Tax environment I left behind.
  • La 2011/03/14 13:46:47
    La
    +2

Lol. Oh god I'd hate it.
  • XENON23 2011/03/14 13:27:48
    XENON23
    +2
    "Texas ain't a union state. Texas loves business. Texas is cheap: housing is cheap (trust me the housing here is really cheap: cheaply made and kinda crappy but still big)

7. Everyone moves here (especially californians) because huge, crappily built houses are cheap, but remember........................ cheap for a reason.

So, before you think Texas is kumba ya land. There's no such thing as a free lunch."

So you are for free lunches for all. I knew you were a socialist. So why are you hating on Texas? Why do you have to just push hate. I am from Texas and you have this all so wrong.

W...

WE ARE A RIGHT TO WORK STATE AND DOING BETTER THAN SO MANY OTHER STATES THAT PEOPLE ARE FLOCKING HERE.
    WE HAVE ZONING RULES!!
    NOT TRUE....YOUR JUST MAKING THIS ALL UP!
    TOSS OUT YOUR COMPUTER IT'S MADE WITH OIL!! AND GIVE UP YOUR CAR TOO!! AND BIKES HAVE OIL IN THEM TOO!!
    WE HAVE LOT'S OF BOOKS AND BOOKCASES!!
    JUST MAKING UP MORE LIES!!
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE TEXAS LEAVE! BUT STOP THE HATE!!
  • La XENON23 2011/03/14 13:53:53
    La
    +4
    Just curious. Why did you copy-paste EVERYTHING she said at the top of your comment? We can see it too, it's right up there. And then you have all her comments AGAIN with your responses under. Are you on crack? :/

3. I know quite a bit about "at will" employees (yeah yeah, I'm not American but I am studying law and it interested me to check it out) and they CAN fire you for any reason. They are not required to be reasonable. I'm sure there are SOME people working in Texas who are not "at will" employees but I believe Flaca (who also lives in Texas, making her opinion just as worthy as yours) that most people ARE "at will" employees. Other states have it too.
    4. Western culture is currently dependant on oil, yes. That's completely irrelevant. Just because someone doesn't want to live in an area full of oil refineries doesn't mean they don't want to keep using the things that oil enables them to do.
    5. Who is "we"? Can you speak for every Texan?

7. You say Texans are not uneducated, but as soon as someone is critical, your response is "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, LEAVE". That's the go-to, thoughtless automated response from an uneducated person. Many people do love where they live but would like to see it improve. If she WANTED to leave, she would have done so. Anyway, the point of her po...

7. You say Texans are not uneducated, but as soon as someone is critical, your response is "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, LEAVE". That's the go-to, thoughtless automated response from an uneducated person. Many people do love where they live but would like to see it improve. If she WANTED to leave, she would have done so. Anyway, the point of her post was to inform other people who were considering moving to Texas. The point wasn't just to complain. She pre-faced it by telling us that these were things people might not know about Texas, but should consider before moving there.
  • XENON23 La 2011/03/14 23:24:13
    XENON23
    +1
    Sometimes people will edit what they said after you comment back to them. I like to make sure I know if they edit what they have said because of what I say.
  • La XENON23 2011/03/15 01:51:44
    La
    You overestimate the value Flaca will (or has) placed upon your opinion, I believe.

I like how you completely ignored everything else I said.
  • XENON23 La 2011/03/15 14:26:13
    XENON23
    "I like how you completely ignored everything else I said."

Your so very very very very very WECOME!
  • La XENON23 2011/03/15 19:59:09
    La
    +1
    *You're

*WELCOME

I didn't thank you >.>
  • XENON23 La 2011/03/15 19:23:19
    XENON23
    That's fine No she doesn't have to live near refineries,nobody is asking her to,but to throw out hate to those that do isn't very constructive is it now? You not being an American perhaps your ignorant of a continuous hate of some peoples towards those that live in the south claiming they are stupid or do not read books.

Well again this America,I like many have the freedom to live or move to another part of America if I do not like where I'm at...All I suggested was that she do as any American can and use her freedom to move to a more desirable location.

Yes we are dependent on oil in almost any manufactured product, damn it if you will but that's not going to change any time soon....So it's best to improve a situation rather than just damn it....
  • La XENON23 2011/03/15 20:02:49
    La
    Hmm. Okay I see where you're coming from. America sounds like a pretty hateful place in general >.> It's a bit odd to me.
  • wolfshadow XENON23 2011/03/14 15:18:54
  • flaca BN-0 XENON23 2011/03/15 04:44:50
    flaca BN-0
    if you think there are zoning rules everywhere in TX you are sadly misinformed.
  • XENON23 flaca BN-0 2011/03/15 14:27:09
    XENON23
    WRONG
  • JHup BN-0 2011/03/14 05:02:05
    JHup BN-0
    +4
  • flaca BN-0 JHup BN-0 2011/03/14 05:04:24
    flaca BN-0
    +2
    Austin is the only city in Texas that is not Texan LOL. Maybe because they hvave a lot of gays. It's the only "forward-thinking, creative city here. But it's expensive.
  • JHup BN-0 flaca BN-0 2011/03/14 05:34:58
    JHup BN-0
    +2
    That's what I've heard from others. So, I'd possibly be trading even-up (financially) for what I have in Wisconsin? Hmmm... but with no months of snow & ice!.... I'll take it! :-) And I have met some pretty nice people outside of Austin, in RL and here on SH.
  • flaca BN-0 JHup BN-0 2011/03/14 05:37:06
    flaca BN-0
    +2
    life is easy here in tX but beware, like I said the houses are big but crappily bullt.
  • JHup BN-0 flaca BN-0 2011/03/14 05:48:56
    JHup BN-0
    +1
    I've seen some of the houses - they ARE big...I like the roominess, but my first thought was, they must cost a small fortune to air condition!
  • XENON23 flaca BN-0 2011/03/14 13:30:00
    XENON23
    Yeah it's filled with Liberals.
  • Albannach 2011/03/14 04:43:06
    Albannach
    +4
    Texas. "Careful What You Wish For" :)
  • zlazyks 2011/03/14 04:40:59
    zlazyks
    +2
    As a "Californian" I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt I will never move to Texas(or anywhere else).
  • XENON23 zlazyks 2011/03/14 13:30:46
    XENON23
    +2
    Good...stay with the fruits and nuts.
  • zlazyks XENON23 2011/03/14 13:32:50
    zlazyks
    will do
  • sandy zlazyks 2013/03/11 21:24:48
    sandy
    +3
    Unless your a state/ city employee, teacher, banana bagger (grocery clerk) or longshoreman you should have a back up plan because I'm also a native Californian and I'm very aware of what our state has become. Unless your an illegal or a union hack your not going to make it here. I can't wait to shake the golden sand from my flip flops and I'm heading for the lonestar state. My hubby and I have 6 children and I will no longer raise them in a state that is only going to rob them of opportunity, money & freedoms when they get older. I love everything Texas has to offer & I want nothing to do with California anymore. I resent any transplant that leaves their troubled state and brings their failed ideology with them and tries to change what works. Texas doesn't have to worry about that with me! I'm handing over my California citizenship & they can give it to Hose-ay or hose-bee because i don't want it. But like it matters, I'm a white middle class woman with an intact family that hasn't been blended, but same mom & dad that actually planned this family. I'm educated and the government can't buy my votes with a social program so they don't need me here anyway. Texas, here we come!
  • zlazyks sandy 2013/03/12 13:37:10
    zlazyks
    Its not so easy for me. I have owned a business here for 14 years and I can't move my business to Texas. I'm also a surfer so moving to tejas would not fit my lifestyle.

I am also from a "intact family that hasn't been blended". My wife and I are also educated. We met and are graduates of UCLA and have two daughters.

I hate to break it to you but there are a crap load of hose-ay's and Hose-bee's in Tejas. We all know how they breed. Its only a matter of time before they are in the majority there as they are here and destroy tejas. History proves that they WILL do it. Parts of southern Teh-Has are already overrun.
  • Tommy Trend 2011/03/14 04:17:15
    Tommy Trend
    +3
    thanks! good to know!

2014/09/02 19:15:48