Elina Garanca is a new star in the concert sky.

MisterD 2012/03/11 12:53:22
Related Topics: Home, Name, Musical, New

SLIDESHOW: elina garanca

1 of 6

Bizet

1. Bizet

Bizet

2. Sainte-Saens

Sainte-Saens

3. Panis Angelicus

Panis Angelicus

4. Chapi

Chapi

5. Bizet

Bizet

6. Delibes

Delibes

Yes, MisterD!  I just may pay more attention to Opera.
You make a good case; but, I'm not yet convinced.
Elina is from Riga, Latvia and from a musical home. She has launched an international career due to her huge talent and acting ability.
Her name is pronounced eeleenah gahrahcha.
Please listen to the selections and see how she attained stardom so quickly.
If you have a vid that you think we would benefit from hearing; please post it for us.
Thanks and enjoy!

• Annette 2012/03/11 16:08:58
    Yes, MisterD! I just may pay more attention to Opera.
    Annette
    +6
    The phrase in there at the beginning, "love is like a rebellous bird" was quite telling. I have never heard this in French, and fortunately I am familiar with that language. Thanks for posting this. I also enjoyed the flirtatious manner in which this was done. It is not always so well expressed (leave it to the French - ha ha), and how she ate a piece of orange and then sang was amazing!
    I wish they had continued with the translation because to hear it sung it is hard to distinguish where certain words begin and end. Enjoyed it a lot - thank you.

• precious_jewel 2012/03/14 02:25:08
    precious_jewel
    +1
    Rich, gorgeous instrument. My "Carmen" will always be Julia Migenes (talk about earthy). I feel Garanca is a bit reserved in concert appearances. In the "Flower Duet", Netrebko was more animated and more into the music. Give a listen to Dessay/Haidan "Flower Duet". It has more rubato and range of dynamics. I read Garanca is on maternity leave.
  • MisterD preciou... 2012/03/14 10:41:36
    MisterD
    Julia was perfect for that role, I agree. I've heard and seen the Dessay/Haidan duet.. wonderful! I hear that she has had a child and both are fine at this time.
    Thanks for coming and gracing this poll with your opinion, precious.
  • Undecided
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    I would listen. The problem is that every half second, the music stops for five seconds.. This makes it rather hard to rate.
  • MisterD Jerry (... 2012/03/12 14:55:00
    MisterD
    +1
    I hate it when that happens!! I don't know if the fault is in youtube or SH. Thanks for trying, Jerry
  • Duke----The Non Racist, Fun... 2012/03/12 04:35:06
    Duke----The Non Racist, Funny Duke !
    +1
    I never tire of hearing Carmen sung/played out. And new comer Elina Garanca has a beautiful voice, and with her vivaciousness, and beauty and lovely voice, will draw a new generation of young audience to the Opera scene. Thank you for showing her to us !!
  • MisterD Duke---... 2012/03/12 14:56:22
    MisterD
    +1
    It is a gorgeous opera, Duke. And, Ms. Garanca is ideal in this role.
    Thanks for coming and sharing, my friend.
  • Fashionable60s 2012/03/11 22:03:12 (edited)
    Fashionable60s
    +2
    This gorgeous creature is a wonderful mezzo soprano and a blond underneath the black curly wig. You have to see her live on stage to experience her, where she can sing to the nosebleed section perfectly that you hear every word sung clearly and without any body mic. Love opera, love great singers, love this high art form. For those unfamiliar with opera, try to see an opera that makes you laugh first, like the Barber of Seville, you may luck out with Elena singing the Rossina role. She just had a baby so she may not appear as often as before. Thank you for this posting, Mr. D. Hope to see your future postings on opera singers.
  • MisterD Fashion... 2012/03/11 22:23:52
    MisterD
    I think she is the best operatic mezzo out there at this time. I would love to see her in an opera and get the full effect from her and the music. My first opera was not a comedy, but La Boheme... it got me hooked
    Thanks for coming and voicing this opinion, Fashionable. I appreciate it very much.
  • Fashion... MisterD 2012/03/11 22:52:08
    Fashionable60s
    +2
    Dear Mr. D, I do agree with you on Elena being the best operatic mezzo out there. I saw her in Barber of Seville at the Met with Juan Diego Florez but hate the new set created for this opera. The Director is Bartlett Sher who is a Broadway Director (known for South Pacific revival), who built a runway circle around the orchestra pit, muffling the orchestra sound in the process. The actual stage is bare except for many stand alone doors on stage. Some opera singers have been complaining that Peter Gelb has been hiring a lot of Broadway directors who have no clue about directing an opera production. The new directors directed the new versions of the opera to get them ready for the HD viewing. The new singers for the most part are good looking and young. There are only a few fat ladies/men remaining as they are not photogenic enough for the close ups on HD. The sets are even barer than any Broadway stage. With HD performances, the sets become less important than the faces of the singers, hence he is destroying most of the Franco Zeffirelli sets and costumes one by one, the latest was the one for La Traviata. Violetta is now wearing a red strapless modern dress , tottering on red stilettos, instead of the 19th century costume. He also already destroyed the Tosca and...
    Dear Mr. D, I do agree with you on Elena being the best operatic mezzo out there. I saw her in Barber of Seville at the Met with Juan Diego Florez but hate the new set created for this opera. The Director is Bartlett Sher who is a Broadway Director (known for South Pacific revival), who built a runway circle around the orchestra pit, muffling the orchestra sound in the process. The actual stage is bare except for many stand alone doors on stage. Some opera singers have been complaining that Peter Gelb has been hiring a lot of Broadway directors who have no clue about directing an opera production. The new directors directed the new versions of the opera to get them ready for the HD viewing. The new singers for the most part are good looking and young. There are only a few fat ladies/men remaining as they are not photogenic enough for the close ups on HD. The sets are even barer than any Broadway stage. With HD performances, the sets become less important than the faces of the singers, hence he is destroying most of the Franco Zeffirelli sets and costumes one by one, the latest was the one for La Traviata. Violetta is now wearing a red strapless modern dress , tottering on red stilettos, instead of the 19th century costume. He also already destroyed the Tosca and Carmen sets. The two old Zeffirelli sets remaining are for La Boheme and the Turandot. I think the Met audience would boycott the performances if he dares touch the two remaining sets. We just saw Jonas Kauffman in Faust with the new set done by another Broadway director whose name escapes me right now. He was outstanding but the set was awful. Angela Gheorghiu walked out of this production since her Marguerite costumes look like cheap dresses since the era of the opera has been changed into the WWI era. I was so looking forward to see both Jonas and Angela together on stage but alas, it was not meant to be. She is not scheduled to be on the Met stage any time soon. She has been replaced by Marina Poplavskaya for the Marguerite role. Marina was just OK, she is not Angela and her French diction is rather poor. I am too opinionated when it comes to the old fashioned opera production. I would have to go out of state or out of the country to see the old fashioned sets and costume. Thank you for reading this, Mr. D. I just need to vent my frustration about the new Met production as well as the management style of Peter Gelb.
  • MisterD Fashion... 2012/03/11 23:10:54
    MisterD
    Vent away... we are kindred spirits in operatic tastes it seems. I saw some vids on youtube of a Barber of Seville with di Donato in a wheel chair in modern dress.. the set had that semi circular extension encircling the orchestra. FAIL!!
  • Fashion... MisterD 2012/03/12 02:42:50
    Fashionable60s
    +2
    The director of Gounod's Faust was Broadway's award winning Des McAnuff. He directed the current revival of "Jesus Christ Superstar" on Broadway. He also directed the "Jersey Boys" on the life of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons as well as the most recent revival of "Guys and Dolls" among others. His experiences were all on Broadway and Faust was his first opera. He created an anti war Faust on the stage of the Met, which has nothing to do with the original Goethe's story or Gounod's opera. Mr. McAnuff was obviously taking a director's license to re-make Faust into a mad scientist who was about to create an atom bomb in 1914 (which really did not get created until 1945). There was also an underpinning of anti-war protest message in this opera which totally offended me and my husband. Opera should not be politicized as it is just an art form. We wanted to enjoy the beautiful singing and be entertained but were forced to imagine Mr. McAnuff anti war message. Peter Gelb allowed it to happen. Jonas Kauffman as Faust and Rene Pape as Mefistofele were outstanding however, in spite of the direction. Yes, I am still venting Mister D. Sorry. You may see/hear Jonas in youtube video. There are quite a few of them. Thanks again for reading this.
  • MisterD Fashion... 2012/03/12 14:58:30
    MisterD
    I have never seen an "updated" setting work in opera, Fashionable. That's something that I vent about frequently. I've been a fan of Jonas for a couple of years at least.
  • Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥ 2012/03/11 19:26:06
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +2
    Wow, amazing and up lifting . She has a power voice. Nice Sunday music.
    Miss you and your music , so glad you are back and rocking.

Thanks MD
  • MisterD Pearlie... 2012/03/11 22:25:25
    MisterD
    +1
    She does inspire me, Momi! Thanks for your input here; and, I'm so glad to be back with all my friends.
  • Pearlie... MisterD 2012/03/12 22:52:41
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +1
    YOU stay put now..LOL take care ...I went back and listen to her again..
  • MisterD Pearlie... 2012/03/13 00:16:12
    MisterD
    +1
    good for you, Momi!
  • FairLady 2012/03/11 17:36:40
    FairLady
    +3
    Jerry she is a knockout gorgeous woman, and very talented. Breath taking singing. Love it. Just beautiful!!!

Thank you for posting honey.
    xoxox
  • MisterD FairLady 2012/03/11 18:39:55
    MisterD
    +2
    Yes on all points, FL... she's one of the best gifts from the old soviet system to come our way. Thanks for listening and commenting, hon. xoxox
  • FairLady MisterD 2012/03/11 19:38:43
    FairLady
    +1
    Wow, from the old soviet system?? Cool. She IS awesome!
  • MisterD FairLady 2012/03/11 22:25:56
    MisterD
    +1
    She was born in Latvia, honey.
  • FairLady MisterD 2012/03/11 23:49:12
    FairLady
    +1
    I see.... Beautiful Latvian gal. :)
  • Pearlie... FairLady 2012/03/11 19:26:45
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +2
    She is just awesome. Love it too.
  • Lulu's Mom 2012/03/11 17:32:15
    Lulu's Mom
    +4
    That is one of my favorite operas. Beautiful woman with a beautiful voice.
  • MisterD Lulu's Mom 2012/03/11 18:41:00
    MisterD
    +2
    One of my favs too, honey Thanks for your listening and commenting.
  • Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWC... 2012/03/11 16:23:30
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    I never learned to really interpret opera because I don't understand Italian and in this case French, but I've always appreciated and admired it.....I do know a few french words, but I couldn't follow this...but I see no reason that she won't attain great success.......obviously a very talented lady...
  • MisterD Deere G... 2012/03/11 16:53:36
    MisterD
    +4
    Thanks, Deere Guy. I always study a plot synopsis before listening to a new opera.. new to me that is. I'm intimately familiar with Carmen as I sang Don Jose in a production long ago.
    Thanks for sharing your opinion with me.
  • Deere G... MisterD 2012/03/11 17:02:07
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    I Love and apprecaite your polls sir.........
  • MisterD Deere G... 2012/03/11 17:06:57
    MisterD
    +3
    Thanks, because I love posting them.
  • Deere G... MisterD 2012/03/11 17:13:30
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    And we enjoy them.......
  • FairLady Deere G... 2012/03/11 19:43:36
    FairLady
    +3
    Yes Yes Yes Yes... we do!
  • Deere G... FairLady 2012/03/12 01:44:53
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Yes we do dahlin':-) lol
  • FairLady Deere G... 2012/03/12 01:47:19
  • Deere G... FairLady 2012/03/12 01:56:34
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    LOL......Love to make you giggle:-)
  • FairLady Deere G... 2012/03/12 02:15:44
    FairLady
    +3
    You are good at it, Deere. LOL
  • Deere G... FairLady 2012/03/12 13:18:27
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Good...I love knowing that:-)
  • FairLady Deere G... 2012/03/12 17:25:07
    FairLady
    +2
    LOLOL

xoxox
  • Deere G... FairLady 2012/03/12 20:17:41
  • FairLady Deere G... 2012/03/11 19:42:34 (edited)
    FairLady
    +3
    MisterD is wonderful posting these musical things isn't he???

Jerry you are the best! And pls don't ever disappear any more. *wink*. We need U hon.
    xoxox
  • FairLady Deere G... 2012/03/11 19:40:18 (edited)
    FairLady
    +3
    Jeff, you can just look and listen to this gorgeous lady, and enjoy her. The Bizet's music itself is enjoyable enough!!!

I know c'est la vie. That's about it. LOL
  • Deere G... FairLady 2012/03/12 01:46:06
    Deere Guy ~POTL~PWCM~JL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I totally agree sweet lady:-)

2014/09/01 18:36:55