Does the Same-Sex Marriage Controversy Affect Whether You Will Eat at Chick-fil-A?

ABC News U.S. 2012/08/01 13:50:50

• Ty ~ PHAET Latti I... 2012/08/02 02:31:07
    Ty ~ PHAET
    +3
    As a Southerner, I find the idea of sweet grits cringe-worthy.
  • Latti I... Ty ~ PHAET 2012/08/02 02:33:08
  • America... Melizmatic 2012/08/01 19:05:12
    AmericanVirus
    It hasn't been an issue, I don't care about fried chicken that much.
  • Melizmatic America... 2012/08/01 19:06:56
    Melizmatic
    +1
    *shrugs
  • Rock 2012/08/01 17:42:22
    Rock
    +3
    I haven't been there in over 4 years, but I'll be going today. I support the 1st Amendment!
  • xcheshirecat 2012/08/01 17:39:55
    xcheshirecat
    it would if there would be of them here

Respect me and I respect you, they don't respect gays
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/08/01 17:32:02
    TruBluTopaz
    +3
    This question is awkwardly worded. Because ChikFilA dares to be honest and state an opinion and because they are being unfairly demonized and vilified by the Left, it will be my first choice for good food at a good price. Until Obama repeals it, we have both freedom of speech and freedom of religion.
    +3
    Great chicken salad sandwiches - yum.
  • maggiemay 2012/08/01 17:28:02
    maggiemay
    +4
    I love their chicken wrap. You can't even get in today there are so many people.
  • Christopher Bookkeeping 2012/08/01 17:14:15 (edited)
    Christopher Bookkeeping
    +1
    50 years ago prior to the civil rights movement if a business owner said that he would not allow persons of color to eat at the counter of his restaurant, the masses would have agreed with him and said that as the owner of his business he had that right. Of course federal leglislation saw things differently. Looking back most would agree with the course of action by the federal government for imposing laws against ignorance and prejudice. Gay marriage is also a civil right, the problem lies in the semantics of the word "marriage" because many people believe that the marriage institution is between a man and a woman, and I would agree that the RELIGIOUS institution is just that, the rights that go along with the secular portion of the institution (inheritance, hospital visits etc. )should not be denied to ANY two consenting adults that choose to share a life together, I will not mention the ridiculous arguments from people like Rick Santorum who obfuscate the issue by making foolish comparison (e.g. a brother marrying a sister etc.) any person with a brain would see that that sort of arrangement would certainly have been founded on pschological problems, to clarify to the ignorant: gay people go out and meet new people date them etc. just like straight people, the "meeting rit...
    50 years ago prior to the civil rights movement if a business owner said that he would not allow persons of color to eat at the counter of his restaurant, the masses would have agreed with him and said that as the owner of his business he had that right. Of course federal leglislation saw things differently. Looking back most would agree with the course of action by the federal government for imposing laws against ignorance and prejudice. Gay marriage is also a civil right, the problem lies in the semantics of the word "marriage" because many people believe that the marriage institution is between a man and a woman, and I would agree that the RELIGIOUS institution is just that, the rights that go along with the secular portion of the institution (inheritance, hospital visits etc. )should not be denied to ANY two consenting adults that choose to share a life together, I will not mention the ridiculous arguments from people like Rick Santorum who obfuscate the issue by making foolish comparison (e.g. a brother marrying a sister etc.) any person with a brain would see that that sort of arrangement would certainly have been founded on pschological problems, to clarify to the ignorant: gay people go out and meet new people date them etc. just like straight people, the "meeting ritual is the same" . So regarding Chik fil A? I believe that anybody who believes in civil rights for everyone should vote with their dollars and patronize another restaurant and it will be healthier for them too. For those that want to eat fried chicken at Chik fil A to indicate their support for retrograde attitudes towards civil rights they are welcome to do that and get coronary artery disease in the processs. In the end Gay Marriage will be the law of the land just like in other more civilised countries than this one such as Spain, Canada, Argentina, Norway, Sweden, Portugal and Argentina to name a few. by civilised I mean that these countries understand what what the word "civil right" actually means.
  • Jackie ... Christo... 2012/08/01 17:33:25
    +5
    This company hires, promotes and serves homosexuals. No discrimination happening. We are each entitled to our opinion about homosexual marriage.
  • xcheshi... Jackie ... 2012/08/01 17:40:38
  • Jackie ... xcheshi... 2012/08/01 18:44:30
    +1
    Sure - silly but your right
  • MR. 2012/08/01 17:07:31
    MR.
    +5
    NOW I'M BUYING LUNCH THERE FOR MY FRIENDS! *(FREEDOM IS CHOICE!)
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/08/01 17:04:13 (edited)
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +4
    Much ado about nothing. Let me put this another way:

When I want chicken nuggets, I go to Chick Fil A. Why? Because when it comes to fried chicken treats, no one does it better.

When I want ice cream, I eat Ben & Jerrys. Why? Because they sell the best frozen milkfat on the planet.

One organization is very right wing, the other left. Both are foods I'd eat for a last meal. Does this make me a fencesitter? Nope. It just means I don't give a f*** when I'm hungry.
  • Ang74 2012/08/01 16:55:13
    Ang74
    +3
    I don't care who marries who, but I do appreciate the right to have and state my own opinion as I see fit. This man was not spewing hate, he was simply stating his position on a topic. Stop over-reacting for Pete's sake. Reactions like this just make you protesters look like fools. He has the right to his values just as you have the right to yours. This whole things is rediculous! That is why we live in a free country, and have freedom of speech, you morons!
  • peaches 2012/08/01 16:54:09 (edited)
    peaches
    +3
    Personally, I'm not going to support a restaurant that supports organizations that are trying to prevent my possible future marriage. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with their opinion, but their actions. I support freedom of speech (:
  • twhiting9275 2012/08/01 16:47:56
    twhiting9275
    +3
    It'll make me MORE likely to visit a CFA... Now if they only had one in my town. Closest is an hour away.
  • Bill ~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/01 16:35:00
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Usually I go to Zaxby's on Wednesday night but tonight I'm going to Chick-fil-A.
  • niki 2012/08/01 16:27:10
    niki
    +2
    Never have eaten there, probably never will. I don't agree with his statement, but he HAS the right to his opinion.
    What I disagree with is corporate money used to influence politics and decide who has/or will get civil rights and who won't in this country. Since marriage is considered a civil union, I believe two consenting adults should be able to enter into one regardless of sexual orientation.
  • hazel niki 2012/08/01 21:08:53
    hazel
    DONT FORGET TO ADD YOU DONT BELIEVE IN FREEDOM OF SPEECH .....UNLESS IT AGREES WITH YOU
  • niki hazel 2012/08/01 21:13:20
    niki
    Don't you READ???? I said, "I don't agree with his statement, but he HAS the right to his opinion. "
    And stop yelling for no reason...it's rude, like your comment.
  • lm1b2 2012/08/01 16:20:12
    lm1b2
    Who cares.
  • Cunning Stunts 2012/08/01 16:18:46
    Cunning Stunts
    +2
    Never heard of them until the news story.
  • JohnT 2012/08/01 16:10:27
    JohnT
    +2
    The quality of the food, and seeing I am not into fast food I won't eat there.
  • Rocky 2012/08/01 15:56:15
    Rocky
    +1
    Where is Chick-fil-A . I never heard of them. I'm in New Jersey and haven't ever heard of this chain.
  • Melizmatic Rocky 2012/08/01 18:14:36
    Melizmatic
    +1
    That's because there are less than 1200 of them in the entire US; this was a bad publicity stunt.
  • hazel 2012/08/01 15:47:34
    hazel
    +6
    I dont eat at any fast foods and we have no chick-a fil-a any where near , but I SUPPORT FREE SPEECH ALL DAY LONG
  • Dagon 2012/08/01 15:18:10
  • 666_Maggots~I'm a female! 2012/08/01 15:11:53
    666_Maggots~I'm a female!
    I've never liked their food to begin with.
  • SJG 2012/08/01 15:11:47
    SJG
    +1
    I don't eat junk food so I won't be eating there. Yes, this is junk food. As for the controversy, I don't agree with the COO of the organization, but he is entitled to his opinion just as I am. And to my knowledge, based on friends who have eaten there, they have never done anything or said anything that would indicate the individual store are trying to convert the customers. There are just as many people who support same sex marriage and they too, have the right to their opinion.
  • santa6642 2012/08/01 14:57:31
    santa6642
    +3
    Not in the least, not my life style and I'll eat where I want no matter what.
    no
  • Semper Fi 2012/08/01 14:53:48
    Semper Fi
    +5
    Location sure does though. Nothing even close here yet (WA State).
  • Melizmatic Semper Fi 2012/08/01 18:18:12 (edited)
    Melizmatic
    +3
    That's the funniest part of this whole little ploy to me.

Many people will have to go out of their way just to eat there, yet the bad publicity from this stunt will likely last far longer than the small bump in patronage that they get today.

Bad fast food is still bad fast food, no matter what politics is behind it.
  • Semper Fi Melizmatic 2012/08/01 18:31:00
  • Melizmatic Semper Fi 2012/08/01 18:35:03
  • Headhunter 13 2012/08/01 14:34:31
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    No I ate at one once and was not impressed and would not go back again. What it does do is make me think how damn silly people are
  • Semper Fi Headhun... 2012/08/01 14:48:06
    Semper Fi
    +3
    Great comment!
  • Headhun... Semper Fi 2012/08/01 14:55:50
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    Thanks

2014/12/20 19:32:59