Does the Congress of the United States still "Represent" you, the Citizen, or the Lobbyist?

Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret) 2011/08/11 20:00:40
In your Opinion, We Should  impeach any Representative that signs a Contract for his Legislative Voice, which compromises his/her Voice for the People. Comment Please.
We Should not, in your Opinion, impeach any Representative that signs a Contract for his Legislative Voice, which compromises his/her Voice for the People. Comment Please

Grover Glenn Norquist (born October 19, 1956) is president of a taxpayer advocacy group, Americans for Tax Reform. He has been described as "the driving force in pushing the Republican Party toward an ever-more rigid position of opposing any tax increase, of any kind, at any time." In otherwords, a Lobbyist has twisted the Arms of most members of the Republican Party and required them to sign an agreement never to raise Taxes.

The United States Senate is the upper house of the bicameral legislature of the United States, and together with the United States House of Representatives comprises the United States Congress. The composition and powers of the Senate are established in Article One of the U.S. Constitution. Each U.S. state
is represented by two senators, regardless of population. The chamber of the United States Senate
is located in the north wing of the Capitol, in Washington, D.C., the national capital. The House of Representatives convenes in the south wing of the same building.

Article One of the Constitution say these members of Congress are Representative, an important part of a Constitutional, Democratic-Republic where people are elected to serve as Representative of the People.

Nowhere does it say they are representatives to a Lobbyist. Should we, in your Opinion, impeach any Representative that signs a Contract for his Legislative Voice, which compromises his/her Voice for the People.

• Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, US... 2011/08/11 20:04:05
    In your Opinion, We Should impeach any Representative that signs a Contract ...
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +10
    I think anyone that signs a contract about what they will or will not do, have given away their Responsibility of Office, and should be Impeached or Recalled. Lobbyist, according to the 1st Amendment have a right to be heard, but they do not have a right to blackmail a Legislator to sign or not to sign, based on the Lobbyist Agenda. Lobbyist that Blackmail Pubic Servants should be restricted from Service within the Congress.

• hayesml47 2011/08/12 14:22:45
    hayesml47
    +1
    Congress represents self interests and has written off We, the People as just so much useless baggage!
  • MO.gal 2011/08/12 02:46:14 (edited)
    MO.gal
    +2
    Impeach every one who signs a contract. They should represent the people who elected them and no one else.
  • pepper5419 2011/08/12 00:28:13
    pepper5419
    +1
    Our Congress is already bought and sold to the wealthy.
  • ptete in left I trust ~ POT... 2011/08/12 00:10:29
  • carolynb 2011/08/11 22:38:08
    carolynb
    +1
    Norquist needs to get out of our govts business. He was never elected for anything except dog catcher and that is doubtful.
  • Anna E 2011/08/11 21:59:49
    Anna E
    +3
    High-powered lobbyists are why society is in a mess partially created by gov't "reps".
  • scbluesman13 2011/08/11 21:38:43
    scbluesman13
    +2
    Any congressman or woman that signs a pledge other than the oath of office should be thrown out immediately.
  • luvguins 2011/08/11 21:36:20
    luvguins
    +3
    Does this creep, Norquist, think he is king of the GOP? The Republicans have no right to sign a pledge to him. They work for the American people not for a lobbyist that was associated with the criminal, Jack Abramanoff, who he probably laundered money for. I'm glad that the president called out these GOP game players in Congress today. This super committee better come up with something fair and balanced or they will be voted out next year.
  • Boulder... luvguins 2011/08/14 22:07:06
    Boulder Sue
    Well, he just might believe that. He has been a real fringe nut case for a long time and a bunch of idiots elected Representatives to represent him and not themselves for reasons that totally elude me.
    He is hardly representative of anyone who looks at the way our government is supposed to run, but they have made it so. One day they will face the consequences of what they have wrought, for all of us, and I hope the remember well that day in November 2010 when they went to the voting booth. Old Grover will benefit most because, no doubt, he falls within the uper tax brackets that Obama would have liked to let the Bush tax cuts expire on. Grover is laughing all the way to the bank, believe me!
  • luvguins Boulder... 2011/08/15 03:32:11
    luvguins
    No doubt. Norquist is rolling in currency and has those Repubs by the short hairs.
  • CMR 2011/08/11 21:36:18
    CMR
    +4
    We elect our representatives for their ability to represent us by knowing their constituents, and to use good judgment to run the country, not to kowtow to Grover Norquist.
  • Boulder Sue 2011/08/11 21:18:24
    Boulder Sue
    +4
    No one elected Grover Norquist for anything that I know of, and certainly not to pull the strings of our elected official who are their to represent us, not some stupid pledge that has absolutely no legal standing, especially in the face of the pledge the make when sworn in as Congresspeople! People who adhere to Norquist's pledge or any other similar pledge above the pledge they took as Congresspeople are breaking the spirit and the intent of the law!
  • EliteAmongOutcasts 2011/08/11 20:31:06 (edited)
  • HL 2011/08/11 20:29:20
    HL
    +3
    The problem cuts across party boundries, though there are many more republican linked lobbyists. These people do not represent you and me. For the most part they are clients of business and in the medical field, pharmaceutical companies, insurers, device manufacturers and so on. Guess whose interests are sacrficed.
    Is it no wonder our system of health care is only a system in that it is systematically rigged to promote the well being of business interests, not patients.
  • flaca BN-0 2011/08/11 20:26:29
    flaca BN-0
    +5
    Can anyone find out who funds Norquist? We've tried unsuccessfully. I wonder how many republicans know he's married to.............wait for it..............(gasp) a muslim? (wouldn't worry me, but I think many of his supporters have gone on anti-muslim rants before).
  • Joseph ... flaca BN-0 2011/08/11 21:32:46
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +2
    Occupation Conservative Lobbyist
    Employer Americans for Tax Reform
    Home town Weston, Massachusetts
    Board member of National Rifle Association, American Conservative Union, Nixon Center
    He is a Lobbyist and need not say who is paying him, but as far as I know, he works for the Dixiecrats in Dallas Texas. BTW - that is where Abrams came from too. Also, the Koch Brothers fund much of the Lobbyist from the Dixiecrat.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2011/08/11 20:26:02
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +5
    Every member of Capitol Hill is administered an oath to "faithfully carry out their duties...to protect & defend the Constitution of the US etc..." One of my senators somewhat represents me but I know he's beholden to Wall Street also. My female junior senator definitely represents me. The Tea Gagger congresswoman I have is a piece of crap & I will do everything in my power to remove that stench come 2012.

IMHO every member of the House who has signed Norquist's pledge deserves to be impeached. They have sworn allegiance to a person they do not even represent. Since the House is the only body that can raise or lower taxes by have abdicated their sworn oath of office for allegiance to a different power (a MAN). By signing that pledge they have engaged in a contract with a person that supercedes their oath of office. They have therefore broken faith with the people they swore to represent & are traitors.
  • IMAOZI 2011/08/11 20:15:49
    IMAOZI
    Contract? I'd like to see them. If there are some I would say yes.
  • Tea in the Harbor 2011/08/11 20:14:31
    Tea in the Harbor
    +9
    Pledging allegiance to any entity in governance other than our constitution is a clear act of treason.
  • Colbert 2011/08/11 20:09:34
    Colbert
    +5
    Congress STILL represents lobbyists.
  • Joseph ... Colbert 2011/08/11 21:45:08
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +2
    True - very true, and the First Amendment says they have a right to be represented, but I think it is clearly a violation of the Legislators Vow to allow them to tie up their vote with a Contract or Pledge that may, or may not go against the Voter and Represented Citizen.
    "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God."
  • wombat 2011/08/11 20:06:07
    wombat
    +1
    This country is a republic meaning its an elite controlled government not a citizen controlled one. You never meant to be in charge. Look at the bill of rights....
    Freedom of speech.... no one is listening.
    Right to own a gun..... but dont use it!!
    aso... Your rights are a farce you are owned.
  • Joseph ... wombat 2011/08/11 22:12:22
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +1
    @wombat: Ya know, I don't like what you say, but I know it is true now and has been since Reagan sat in the Oval Office. But I disagree it was designed to be that way. Although getting rid of the Electoral College, The Electoral College was founded in a time and place where the majority of Americans were illiterate, and communications was a problem. That and the Article II, Section 1, Clause 2 of the Constitution needs to be amended as no longer viable or needed. The Founders created and envisioned a Constitutional, Democratic-Republic. But the Reagan/Bush string of the ruling Oligarchs, have created a Plutocratic/Theocratic-Republic, a Government of, for and by the Oligarchs and Fat-Cat Robber-Barons, and their Political Pimps the Fascist-Conservative. We need to help President Obama return the Government, to the Government of, for and by the People.
  • Evil 1 2011/08/11 20:05:41
    Evil 1
    +5
    If they do not have the best interest of the US and its citizens at heart then they shouldn't be in office.
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +10
  • Boulder... Joseph ... 2011/08/14 22:15:49 (edited)
    Boulder Sue
    Blackmailers should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. A Representaive or Senato is sent to ongres to represent his constituency and no one else. That is why the are called "representatives" , the people in their Congressional districts and states, and the Constitution does not mention lobbyists, big corps, or Grover Norquist, guilty of political blackmail!

2014/04/21 02:07:00