Does Fort Knox still have all our gold or has it secretly disappeared? And if it does have you seen it or know someone who has since 1973?

hmjtrj-searching for truth 2011/10/10 18:16:31
Related Topics: Gold
Of course its there.  Where else would it be?
I don't know.  I've never seen it

• rwbiddle 2013/10/09 14:10:30
    rwbiddle
    I have been to Fort Knox and there is no gold there.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2011/10/11 01:50:40
    Of course its there. Where else would it be?
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    But There is more Gold located in a vault In New York Fed holds more Gold.
  • hmjtrj-... ☆stillt... 2011/10/11 23:06:35
    hmjtrj-searching for truth
    Have you seen it? Can anyone see it?
  • ☆stillt... hmjtrj-... 2011/10/12 00:23:18
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    No I have not seen it myself. The loss of Gold was the reason that we changed to the Federal Reserve system. It was being depleted rapidly.
  • Sheepdog 2011/10/11 00:20:25
    I don't know. I've never seen it
    Sheepdog
    +1
    They are at best counterfeit gold-plated 400 ounce tungsten bars.
  • Loverofcountry 2011/10/10 20:59:01 (edited)
    I don't know. I've never seen it
    Loverofcountry
    +1
    Good question! I have thought about that too. If we have all that gold in Fort Knox, and the price of gold is nearly $2000 an ounce, then why don't we pay off, or reduce our national debt with it?
  • Crazy Bill Loverof... 2011/10/11 14:34:20
    Crazy Bill
    +2
    It just isn't ''TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS' worth of gold. Even at $30,000 a pound or $60 million a ton it would still take 300 thousand TONS to make 18 trillion dollars. Lots of zeros on that debt we have. I don't think Fort Knox was ever meant to hold 300 thousand TONS of anything.
    Trillion is a huge number.
    Check my math, but it is close.
  • Loverof... Crazy Bill 2011/10/11 17:33:11
    Loverofcountry
    +2
    It's hard to get a grip on the magnitude of our National Debt!
  • jr 2011/10/10 20:56:59
    I don't know. I've never seen it
    jr
    +2
    I would not be shocked to find it has been looted.
  • Gracie ~Gun Totin' Gracie~ 2011/10/10 19:48:04
    I don't know. I've never seen it
    Gracie ~Gun Totin' Gracie~
    +2
    That's a good question? Does it? I wouldn't doubt for a minute that it is gone.
  • ~ The Rebel ~ 2011/10/10 19:25:38
    ~ The Rebel ~
    +1
    Needed a third answer:

US Gold Reserve being stored at Ft. Knox is gone

We Have A Right To Know

In the 1970's a very courageous gentleman named Edward Durrell claimed that substantially all of the US Gold Reserve being stored at Ft. Knox was gone. Only 1,000 tonnes or so of the 8,500 tonnes supposedly being stored there remained. The rest had been secretly taken from Ft. Knox and shipped to London in 1967 and early 1968 for sale by President Johnson in an ill-fated attempt to keep the price of Gold at $35 per ounce.

Mr. Durrell provided a lot of anecdotal evidence to support his claim. These included eyewitness accounts of hundreds of Army trucks leaving Ft. Knox in the middle of the night over a period of many weeks, supposedly loaded with the Gold bounty. Other interesting but circumstantial evidence was the sudden and unexpected dismissal of Gordon Tether, business editor for London's Financial Times, who published Mr. Durrell's claims. To my knowledge, no mainstream US newspaper dared to publish Mr. Durrell's allegations.

More circumstantial evidence emerged in the late 1970's when the US Treasury auctioned some Gold in an attempt to keep the Gold price from rising rapidly. The bullion banks bidding in the auction received 'coin-melt' bars, not good delivery bars. Th...

Needed a third answer:

We Have A Right To Know

More circumstantial evidence emerged in the late 1970's when the US Treasury auctioned some Gold in an attempt to keep the Gold price from rising rapidly. The bullion banks bidding in the auction received 'coin-melt' bars, not good delivery bars. The coin-melt bars were fabricated in the 1930's after the Gold confiscation at that time. Coins are only 90% pure Gold, with 10% other metals added to provide durability to the Gold so that it can be used as coin without excessive wear or damage. In contrast, good delivery bars are 99% pure.

Mr. Durrell alleged that the coin-melt bars were not taken to London because their source could easily have been identified, the US being the only country that seized their citizens' Gold. Had the coin-melt bars been sold, the secret nature of the operation would have been compromised, so the coin-melt bars remained at Ft. Knox while the good delivery bars were sold in London in President Johnson's diabolical, unsuccessful scheme. Subsequent administrations, too afraid of the consequences from telling the truth, have continued the cover-up.

Clearly, the above examples are not sufficient to prove Mr. Durrell's claim, but one piece of evidence does raise serious questions. He claimed that a proper audit of the Gold reserve had not been made since the late 1950's during the Eisenhower administration. Moreover, despite his best efforts to get an audit completed, including as I recall offers to pay for the audit himself (which were not hollow promises because he was a very wealthy businessman), no audit was undertaken. The reason? The US Treasury said it was unnecessary 'because everyone knew that the Gold was still in Ft. Knox'.

The Treasury's curious response always seemed incredulous to me, so I have remained open-minded about whether the Gold was there or not. After all, we now know that President Johnson had lied to the nation about the Gulf of Tonkin incident that dragged the US into war in Viet Nam, so who is to say that he didn't also lie about the Gold in Ft. Knox?

Mr. Durrell passed away at age 90 in the early 1980's. With his passing, and the decline in inflation and the Gold price from the 1980 highs, over time this controversy was largely forgotten. I too put it largely out of mind until the early 1990's when I came to know a very wealthy industrialist with an interesting story.

READ MORE:
    http://www.godlikeproductions...
  • Crazy Bill ~ The R... 2011/10/11 21:23:02
    Crazy Bill
    +1
    First there is more proof that LBJ was incompetent, then there is the fact that all the gold would not make a dent in this absurd debt we have. Fort Knox has been rendered obsolete just by the huge amount of the debt. I don't think Johnson was ever up to the job of POTUS. Small wonder he would not run in 1968.
  • hmjtrj-... ~ The R... 2011/10/11 23:08:37
    hmjtrj-searching for truth
    +1
    He is also the one that removed us from the gold standard. Anybody know why? I don't.
  • Always Right 2011/10/10 19:19:40
    I don't know. I've never seen it
    Always Right
    +4
    The history channel made a good case for it being empty.
  • themadhare ~IJM 2011/10/10 18:23:17
    themadhare ~IJM
    +1
    the United States Bullion Depository is next to Fort Knox. There's just over 5000 tons of bullion there.
  • hmjtrj-... themadh... 2011/10/10 18:28:03
    hmjtrj-searching for truth
    +1
    Yes, but have you seen it or know some one who has?
  • themadh... hmjtrj-... 2011/10/10 18:30:22
    themadhare ~IJM
    +1
    no, it's not exactly open to the public, but in this case I'll trust the multiple levels of control
  • hmjtrj-... themadh... 2011/10/10 18:53:50
    hmjtrj-searching for truth
    +1
    No it isn't open.........not even to members of congress. Just curious since no one has seen it since 1973.
  • themadh... hmjtrj-... 2011/10/10 19:00:32
    themadhare ~IJM
    +1
    it's an interesting concept you've got there. no one's actually seen it
  • hmjtrj-... themadh... 2011/10/10 19:19:03
    hmjtrj-searching for truth
    +1
    Right..........curiouser and curiouser.

I like to believe its there .but then...............I haven't seen it.
  • themadh... hmjtrj-... 2011/10/10 19:20:34
    themadhare ~IJM
    +1
    now you've got me wondering too
  • Crazy Bill themadh... 2011/10/11 21:23:42
    Crazy Bill
    +1
    Still a trivial amount compared to the debt.
  • hmjtrj-... Crazy Bill 2011/10/11 22:59:35
    hmjtrj-searching for truth
    +2
    Maybe.....but it belongs to the nation and I would feel much better knowing it was there than wondering why it wasn't. Just like the Statue of Liberty....She doesn't DO anything but I still feel safer seeing her standing there than if she should suddenly disappear.
  • Crazy Bill hmjtrj-... 2011/10/12 02:07:10
    Crazy Bill
    +1
    If Lady Liberty 'poofed' I would not feel too safe either.

2014/10/31 18:08:13