Do you think sex scenes in movies are necessary ?

Tina 2013/02/27 12:37:55
Would it take away from the film if not shown ?

Some of my favorite movies are the classics of the 40's and 50's in which you never see nudity or sex.

• Robin 2013/02/27 20:54:57
    Sex scenes not necessary
    Robin
    +4
    ever notice how the females who are nude in most of these flicks are worthless actresses? They would not have gotten the part had they not been so eager to strip down. Their dad's must be so proud

• ScorpioMaurus 2013/04/11 12:12:47
    Sex scenes not necessary
    ScorpioMaurus
    +1
    Most are disgusting nowadays (Not tastefully done) and they never seem important to the story. If I wanted to watch sex I'd get an adult movie, I expect blockbuster movies to have story and actual content.
  • ☺Sunrae☺산럐☺ 2013/03/10 18:33:08
    I could take them or leave them
    ☺Sunrae☺산럐☺
    +1
    If doesn't go with the plot why have em? BUt i suppose if you are watching a porno....

Don't really care though. I'm not a big fan of watching people "Get jiggy wit it".
  • 001 2013/03/05 17:24:22
    I could take them or leave them
    001
    +1
    Movies are not necessary. It just makes TV better. And sometimes nudity and sex make a movie better.
  • vicki Adams Sloane 2013/03/04 19:57:57
    I could take them or leave them
    vicki Adams Sloane
    +2
    I think Fart scenes are unnecessary and bathroom humor is uncalled for in films.

Old movies made it and still watched today without all that stuff.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2013/03/04 19:48:07
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +2
    It depends on the film. I agree though they are often overdone to hype a film. There is a lot to be said for skillfully acted innuendo. That said I am not opposed if they fit well into the story line.
  • GaolBlaze 2013/03/03 22:10:43
    Sex scenes not necessary
    GaolBlaze
    +2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?... - 1:20 = best sex scene ever.

Most of the time they're pointless, and it just makes everything awkward. It's not worth it. Keep your clothes on and come up with better stories.
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2013/03/01 23:45:40
    Sex scenes are necessary in films
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +2
    Not every film, but. if it naturally applies to the story, it wouldn't be as good as it could be without it.
  • Ash 2013/03/01 15:58:20
    Sex scenes are necessary in films
    Ash
    If you want the movie to portray "real life" then sex scenes are necessary.

Or do you never ever ever have sex?

Cause most people do.
  • Tina Ash 2013/03/01 18:29:27 (edited)
    Tina
    +1
    A lot of things in real life that I don't want to see in film or in real life, my friends and family having sex for example, using the bathroom as another. Sex scenes in movies don't interest me, if they do you that is fine, I never said they should be banned. It's a matter of preference, there is no right or wrong answer to this question.
  • RavenTrinity 2013/02/28 22:05:45
    I could take them or leave them
    RavenTrinity
    +2
    Eh depends on the story. I can't stand watching a movie with a random sex scene in it :/
  • Mrs. Kathy Arch 2013/02/28 18:02:47
    Sex scenes not necessary
    Mrs. Kathy Arch
    +3
    I think it's better left to the imagination.
  • Jackal 2013/02/28 11:06:34
    Sex scenes are necessary in films
    Jackal
    I believe they are. What great way to express love to another human being. Love at an intimate and vulnerable level. Two people desire and want each other. To me sex in movies compliments the entire artwork. People should look more in to why they are effected by sex scenes in movies.

Why is it do you get aroused, or why is it that you feel bothered by sex scenes in movies?

Sex is one of the biggest part of Humanity's Lives, whether you like it or not. It compliments the humanity in the human.
  • Tina Jackal 2013/02/28 17:30:41 (edited)
    Tina
    +1
    watching sex scenes in moves does not interest me, many movies could be seen by most in the family if not for the one or two sex scenes that for me does nothing to the story line. You are watching two people pretending to have sex, if that is something you like, okay, I'm not saying it should be banned , I'm also not bothered by it in the way I think you are implying, Don' read anymore into this. I'm talking about pretend sex in a movie not real sex in real life.
  • Jackal Tina 2013/03/01 09:08:52
    Jackal
    So it is okay to see two people destroy each other, but not okay to see two people love each other?
  • Tina Jackal 2013/03/01 09:37:06 (edited)
    Tina
    +1
    Did I say that I enjoy watching people destroy themselves? Just because I don' t enjoy watching five minutes of people pretending to have sex in a movie does not mean I enjoy watching everything else that are in movies,
  • GaolBlaze Jackal 2013/03/03 22:28:38
    GaolBlaze
    +2
    This idea of love that you're putting across is completely undermined by the fact that it is in a film. How is it intimate and vulnerable if any old film you flick on will have it on display? There are certain things that we find so intimate and personal that we don't share with the world, and in doing so, preserve its rarity. Your idea of sex is either that it is common and why should it not be there, or it is rare and you like to see it expressed. However, it being expressed in films as it is is a direct contradiction to the latter, and so by your ideals, it shouldn't be there. The best sex scenes are the one where it is only implied, because you know about the intimacy, etc. but it doesn't put ANYONE in the position of sharing it with a stranger via a screen. It's a part that's too intimate for a screen, and it just makes a film less respectable.
  • timothy.hill.14 2013/02/28 07:17:20
    I could take them or leave them
    timothy.hill.14
    +1
    I think back to the gratuitous nude scenes of the 70's and 80's and how very harmless they seem when compared to many shows today, most notably Spartacus which I love the story and the fighting but the sex scenes are borderline porn.
  • carlton999 2013/02/28 03:18:42
    Sex scenes are necessary in films
    carlton999
    They are necessary if the story calls for it.
  • Shackleford42 2013/02/28 02:47:13
    Sex scenes are necessary in films
    Shackleford42
    Contrary to popular belief, sex, swearing, and violence have been in film since at least the 30s, whether those films were well known or not, so we did without them back in the day is not a valid argument, bottom line is if the director thinks they are necessary, or even just wants them just for the hell of it, then they are necessary
  • moriarty 2013/02/28 02:29:50
    I could take them or leave them
    moriarty
    The reason you didn't see sex or nudity in movies of the 40's and 50's was because of something called the Hays Code (the Motion Picture production Code). it was established by Catholic, Martin Quigley, editor of the Motion Picture Herald, a prominent trade paper, and Jesuit priest Father Daniel A. Lord. Hays, a Presbyterian, took these "moral" codes and sent them to movie studios. The code was based on religious tenets.
    So, for those of you who boo hoo religion and Islam and seemingly talk about Sharia, the Hays code was Sharia law, but it was christian based Sharia. The interesting aspect of the Hays code was that it was deeply racist. Showing mixing of races, was forbidden according to the Hays Code.

So, thankfully they abolished the Hays code. Now we can see kissing, naked bodies (oh how dreadful, the human body in all its glory), etc. We can also see mixing of the races.
    It depends on the type of movie and the context of the nudity and love scenes. In the hand of a master artist the depiction will enhance the story. otherwise, its just pandering.
  • EDWARD G 2013/02/28 01:52:43
    Sex scenes not necessary
    EDWARD G
    +1
    I'm not sure what they add
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2013/02/28 00:35:57
    Sex scenes not necessary
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +1
    The classics didn't seem to think so.
  • Jackal sick'n'... 2013/02/28 11:01:29
    Jackal
    +1
    That's wrong.

In fact, many of the directors had their hands tied behind their back because of many regulations. In stead the movies that had sex scenes where only shown in special theaters.
  • sick'n'... Jackal 2013/02/28 20:14:15
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +1
    Weren't the labeled as blue movies that evolved into B movies?
  • kfallslady 2013/02/28 00:21:15
    Sex scenes not necessary
    kfallslady
    +1
    not nessisary
    Sex scenes not necessary
    Completely unnecessary ..
    (just as I'd say that CGI is also unnecessary as well)

IF you have good dialogue .. great character development ..
    and actors cast that can actually .. well .. have the TALENT and ability to ACT ..
    then you do NOT need 'sex scenes' or CGI or anything else ..
    the talent draws you into the role they are playing ..
  • Jackal sglmom 2013/02/28 11:02:10
    Jackal
    +2
    It is also about the art and the expression. Not just telling a story.
  • sglmom Jackal 2013/02/28 19:49:18
    the art is inherent in the ability of the acting to deliver your imagination into the scene ..
    you don't need CGI nor gratuitous sex scenes to do that ..
  • Jackal sglmom 2013/03/03 02:27:44
    Jackal
    You are also wrong about

-Dialog... Silent films are also great films
    -Character Development and actors... Not really. You don't need actors at all. Just a subject.

So just as you may not NEED sex scenes or CGI, you do not need great actors and dialog.
  • sglmom Jackal 2013/03/04 19:41:39
    without development of characters .. even silent movies have no purpose either ..
    (and I'm a fan of silents .. there was dialogue there (in case you don't recognize it))
  • Jackal sglmom 2013/03/05 09:46:35 (edited)
    Jackal
    Collage films are often just silent films with images and footage.
    Still a film, and still evoke emotion. Although a film of surrealism.

They have no characters or character development. Just strings of emotions.
  • sglmom Jackal 2013/03/05 10:21:54
    +1
    Each of those pieces that you refer to ..
    have a 'dialogue' so to speak (if only to emphasize the disparate elements)
    this is a form of communication ..
    and these can also include newsreel footage as well ..

(not necessarily a string of emotions .. but it IS Iconography .. which is sadly .. limited in effect to the time period .. and has little relevance in the long run)
  • dru dixon 2013/02/27 23:12:04
    dru dixon
    Only if they add to the film.
  • Lucius Archangel 2013/02/27 23:10:02
    Lucius Archangel
    +1
    None of these polls have a "Its up to the director" like kinda of answer

Sex scene are neither necessary nor unnecessary. if ur making a film and u want 1 then go for it, if u don't then no. its really a matter of choice and not law. u don't want ur kid to see it? then don't let him see it. simple as that. That's why theres Ratings.
  • star 2013/02/27 22:26:45
    I could take them or leave them
    star
    Some sex scenes are OK but they make to much of a big deal. Actual sex scenes no way. Make believe but they go to far. I watch two soaps. One on an hour and the other 30 minutes. if it gets too much I fast forward as I have DVR.
  • John Walker II 2013/02/27 22:25:52
    Sex scenes not necessary
    John Walker II
    +2
    Heh... at the time of this vote 46% of males say not needed, 20% say necessary...

Whatever happen to the stereotype that males only think of sex?
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2013/02/27 22:25:17
    Sex scenes are necessary in films
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    Some of them...certainly.
  • evangelism_vision 2013/02/27 22:24:06
    Sex scenes not necessary
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    NO.......

There is a Theater in San Diego, CA that use to play Only PORNO Movies, the newspaper reported.... The owner felt that He wanted to make a contribution to the Community so he stopped playing those movies and showed Family oriented Movies, after two months, he lost a lot of money and was forced to go back to the other movies to pay the over due bills.

What does that say? You give People what they want most? Or is it simply that society has stooped so low and the mind so degenerated that you have to throw at least one or two scenes in if you want to make money........

I HAVE A SOLUTION TO THAT PROBLEM......

1. I won't go to the Movies I know nothing about
    2. When I see it on TV and I don't like it, there is a On and Off switch
  • nico touched the butt 2013/02/27 22:23:44
    I could take them or leave them
    nico touched the butt
    Most of what I watch in movies that happen to involve sex scenes, it's pretty much silhouettes moving about in the shadows. It looks downright silly. But I can't say it bothers me. It doesn't add anything, but it doesn't take anything away for me. It just... there.
  • kitkat42 2013/02/27 21:46:19
    I could take them or leave them
    kitkat42
    +1
    Most of them seem to be gratuitous so they can pull in the voyeurs. :)

2014/04/19 09:41:36