Do you think beauty contests serve any purpose in society?

Neesha 2009/03/31 01:35:08

• Mariposa[◕‿◕Gleek❤PHAET] 2009/03/31 03:56:13
    Mariposa[◕‿◕Gleek❤PHAET]
    +8
    what exactly are they doing for our society? nothing!
    there is no purpose really besides the whole displaying themselves in bathing suits in front of millions of people. oh and making women who have NATURAL BEAUTIFUL bodies feel bad because they dont fit in a size 0 or 1.

• Alison Derby 2013/02/15 03:04:00
    Alison Derby
    They have no purpose in the society except showing little girls and older women that beauty is the only thing that matters! When they lose, they hate themselves and think that they are ugly and not beautiful. Every male and female is beautiful in their own way and they shouldn't be judged like that! These contests teaches nothing with value. If we didn't have beauty contests then the world will still be moving round and round and everyone wont be judged for how good they look but by their personality!
  • Taylor Collins 2012/12/05 19:41:27
    Taylor Collins
    I compete in pageants, I have been doing so since I was 6 and now I am 18. I do a lot of community service and not once i have had the media make me look better. Pageants made me a better person, i live in a town filled with drugs and if it wasn’t for pageants i would have had nothing to look forward to. My mother didn’t make me do pageants, i wanted to do them. Just because you see a show about kids being in a pageant doesn’t mean that that’s really what it’s like. People that look from the outside into pageants really have no clue what it is like and how helpful it can be to someone’s life.
  • Dimondz13 2012/04/08 04:50:04
    Dimondz13
    Am I against beauty contests? I'm not sure. There are strength contests, athletic contests, talent contests etc... so what makes a beauty contest the one to hate? Some people say beauty contests are made up of a bunch of self absorbed idiots showing girls this is the only kind of beauty and you have to be this thin etc. Besides the assumption of the level of their intelligence, I understand why people are against them, but the question, " Do you think beauty contests serve a purpose in society?" Does watching justin bieber on the tv serve a purpose in society? The answer to that question.. if it is entertaining to you then yes.If it's not then still yes. Getting us to react and to be aware and to talk about it; to get us to be involved in the world one way or another that is how it is serving a purpose. There are many types of beaut, but usually the beauty contests that are shown on television, only one type is represented, but why should we call them ugly and anorexic? First of all I am size 5 and they are bigger than me so one assumption gone, the intelligence of these woman vary just like you and me. One big one they are not ugly or they wouldn't be in the competition in the first place. You not finding them attractive well thats ok. Just like basketball some people like it some people don't, but keep the assumptions to the simple minded.
  • JGF 2010/07/15 04:19:28
    JGF
    +1
    They serve to promote artificial aesthetics and to make young ladies feel inadequate if they don't match those aesthetics. They also point out a base hypocrisy in our society. Many decry the preoccupation with physical appearance in the Miss America pageant, particularly the swimsuit competition. Have you ever watched a Mr America pageant? There is no talent competition, no question and answer, nothing but muscle bound men parading around half naked. But no one complains about that.
  • Kandee Buckley 2010/03/30 17:00:41
    Kandee Buckley
    +3
    Because i believe that some pageants are okay i dont like seeing the kids doing them cause it takes away the chances of having a real childhood,but when it comes to adults i feel that u shouldn't have to be beautiful just to win and i really dnt think they do anything for my community well at least they havent
  • kristina 2010/03/10 15:09:31
    kristina
    +3
    "And the winner is..." The fact that this gets so much attention is astonishing. America seems like a game of ping-pong. the idea of real beauty constantly goes back and forth until someone is mislead and looses. Beauty contests portray this impossible idea of what a girl is when we see contestss uch as miss america or miss world. we get the idea that we are supposed to be thin, tall, perfect, and beautiful when america is no where near that. I am a teenage girl, 15 years old, and everything we see when we look in the mirror is nothing like what we see in the media. Beauty contests serve no purpose in our society but more emotional and physical harm. they manipilate the reality of beauty whichshould be about personality. and self confidence the strength to believe in yourself which is the true meaning of real beauty. when you try out for these competitions the only thing they look at is your appearance its an obvious factor in deciding whether you make it or not they really dont care abotu your intellect if you dont know what to say someone will tell you. acoording to bernard and mckinstry, pageants are good for the money and the confidence boost that comes with it. having confidence in yourself isnt a bad thing but you should never think that youre better than anyone else. te...
    "And the winner is..." The fact that this gets so much attention is astonishing. America seems like a game of ping-pong. the idea of real beauty constantly goes back and forth until someone is mislead and looses. Beauty contests portray this impossible idea of what a girl is when we see contestss uch as miss america or miss world. we get the idea that we are supposed to be thin, tall, perfect, and beautiful when america is no where near that. I am a teenage girl, 15 years old, and everything we see when we look in the mirror is nothing like what we see in the media. Beauty contests serve no purpose in our society but more emotional and physical harm. they manipilate the reality of beauty whichshould be about personality. and self confidence the strength to believe in yourself which is the true meaning of real beauty. when you try out for these competitions the only thing they look at is your appearance its an obvious factor in deciding whether you make it or not they really dont care abotu your intellect if you dont know what to say someone will tell you. acoording to bernard and mckinstry, pageants are good for the money and the confidence boost that comes with it. having confidence in yourself isnt a bad thing but you should never think that youre better than anyone else. teenagers today are surrounded by images of slenderness. and you people wonder hwo we die of anerexica and belemic. true beauty is in the eye of the beholder. your personality is what makes you, it shows who you are and thats the only thing that makes you unique, standout be different dont follow trends, be a trendsetter. your confidence should be what people admire. if youd ont respect yourselfs then you cant expect others to recpect you. dont hide in the shadows of others. let the true you shine through. beauty is found in the ehart. someone who can be imperfect and be happy with it, thats the only thing that sets you apart from everyone else. so why change it? if you got it, flaunt it. beauty, intelligence and personality should be judged by the person themselves, not by anyone else and especially not by a panel of judges.
  • unknown 2010/01/22 00:56:42
    unknown
    +3
    duh.....they visit homless kids!
  • Neesha unknown 2010/01/22 23:59:24
    Neesha
    Right...
  • kristina unknown 2010/03/10 15:12:20
    kristina
    +2
    only so the media will make them look good.
  • Wicked (Holla Back Boy) 2009/05/17 08:03:52
    Wicked (Holla Back Boy)
    you have to put all the idiots of the world into a single place so we know where they are!.... J/K not all beautiful people are idiots. I know of one who isn't... but only one!
  • Andres 2009/04/24 16:30:10
    Andres
    All it does is give the shallow, selfish girls out there something to aspire to, when they could aspire to be something that actually helps people.
  • NattiFan (oYo) 2009/04/07 17:06:19
    NattiFan (oYo)
    +1
    Nope. I hate beauty pagents. I do like watching America's Next Top Model...I love watching for the "plus sized" girl...they are the best looking out of them all. hate beauty pagents watching americas model love watching sized girl
  • Neesha NattiFa... 2009/04/10 19:37:28
    Neesha
    +1
    Yeh =]
  • kristina NattiFa... 2010/03/10 15:12:35
    kristina
    +4
    and shes not even bad.
  • NattiFa... kristina 2010/03/10 15:23:25
    NattiFan (oYo)
    She's very sexy!
  • Clay 2009/04/06 18:53:09
    Clay
    “It is better to be beautiful than to be good, but it is better to be good than to be ugly.”
    Oscar Wilde

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.”
    Kahlil Gibran
  • DJ*~ 2009/04/03 15:54:16 (edited)
    DJ*~
    +2
    My response is actually meant for the pageants that small children are participating in...talk about bad parenting response meant pageants children participating talk parenting http://tainnainottawa.typepad...
  • kristina DJ*~ 2010/03/10 15:12:53
    kristina
    +1
    this is a horrible picture. how can somebody turn their children into THAT
  • foxy moxie lady 2009/04/03 14:49:38
    foxy moxie lady
    +1
    I think the competion factor is ok because it instills a sense of purpose for the individual and a desire to be the best you can no matter what the competition is. Putting your best foot forward in whatever arena you crave to compete in, can serve a purpose for the individual by building the individuals confidence and sense of purpose in this world. Globally, though, or society wise the answer is not really. It doesn't do us any good as a society.
  • Candace 2009/04/03 13:21:55
  • Seonag 2009/04/03 11:48:02
    Seonag
    +1
    Most of these women go on to have extremely successful careers. Why is that so different than the football or basketball 'star?' Actually, the 'beauty queens' can all read, write and speak properly - more than I can say for many sports pros. I personally see absolutely nothing wrong with the 'adult' beauty pageants. I do have a problem with the 'glitz' ones held for children (boys and girls alike).
  • ElectricLadybug*SH07* 2009/04/03 07:27:12
    ElectricLadybug*SH07*
    The actual pageants..no...but the winners usually contribute to charities, community programs, and youth programs.
  • Anjirocks 2009/04/03 06:25:52 (edited)
    Anjirocks
    +3
    Personally i think not because in my opinion they only reinforce the idea that people have to be beautiful to succeed, that looks are everything. We get that message enough from the media and it is the reason why people spend their life savings on cosmetic surgery and starve themselves to death. There is so much more to life and it is sad that some people can't see that.

Also, baby and child beauty contest creep me out, i think they're just wrong. All children are beautiful, judging them on their looks and putting one above another is horrible.
  • Sadie100~In God we trust~ 2009/04/03 04:07:04
    Sadie100~In God we trust~
    +2
    No purpose at all, I had the opportunity but said no way!!
  • Neesha Sadie10... 2009/04/04 03:38:17
  • Decahedron~~The Frozen Flame ♂ 2009/04/03 03:56:17
    Decahedron~~The Frozen Flame ♂
    +1
    They are good for people that crave attention - nothing wrong with that
  • Try Me 2009/04/02 13:45:52
  • Neesha Try Me 2009/04/04 03:38:38
  • FencerCat 2009/04/01 02:08:49
    FencerCat
    +2
    They reinforce the impossible standards women are expected to live up to. When they can't, their self-esteem suffers. Personally, I think that if you are going to have beauty contests, anyone who has had any work done, from coloring their hair to breast augmentation, nose jobs, liposuction, etc, should be automatically disqualified. It should be natural, not plastic.
  • Neesha FencerCat 2009/04/01 23:39:23
    Neesha
    +1
    Wow thats a good point.
  • FencerCat Neesha 2009/04/01 23:40:31
    FencerCat
    +1
    I just hate the fact that the person who can afford the most artificial beauty has the best chance to win.
  • Neesha FencerCat 2009/04/01 23:41:11
  • Vivian 2009/03/31 23:12:29
    Vivian
    +2
    Absolutely, not! Where's the World Peace?

• Neesha Vivian 2009/04/01 01:06:54
    Neesha
    +2
    lol I cant believe she fell!
  • I♥MyBandBoyfriend 2009/03/31 21:47:28
  • Court I♥MyBan... 2009/03/31 22:56:54
    Court
    +1
    dude the guy holding the microphone was about to crack up laughing!!!
  • I♥MyBan... Court 2009/04/03 01:28:19
    I♥MyBandBoyfriend
    +1
    i would too, i mean COME ON!!!
  • Court I♥MyBan... 2009/04/05 18:32:30
    Court
    lol ALRIGHT. i will!!
  • I♥MyBan... Court 2009/04/05 20:28:05
    I♥MyBandBoyfriend
    wha??? lol
  • Court I♥MyBan... 2009/04/05 20:47:57
    Court
    nothingg..

2014/07/30 21:25:13