Do you spank your kids with a hairbrush on their bare butt?

ABEL 2009/12/08 16:46:05
I spank them until I think they had enough.
I spank them until they are crying.
That's abuse.
If you do how hard do you spank them?

• Guest 77750 2010/02/19 00:55:08 (edited)
    Guest 77750
    +3
    If they are disrespectful and talkin back but not out of rage that would be abuse. I dont always spank with a hairbrush. Like when my 3yo daughter slapped me and I used my hand for warm up spanks then with the hairbrush she was blushing on both ends. she hasnt slapped or hit anyone since.NEVER SPANK HARD ENOUGH TO BRUISE!!!

• Michie 2013/11/13 20:55:51
    I spank them until they are crying.
    Michie
    Yes I spank boy of my boys bare bottoms with a leather sole sandal until they are red bottomed and crying and its not abuse its punishment.
  • allen s... Michie 2014/06/01 17:21:40
    allen saunders
    I am tired of child abusers saying what they do is discipline not abuse you can lie all you want its not an act of love or csring the childten this site talks about have not done much wrong they atr being tortured by there unfit parents its terrible violence always
  • Tom 2013/08/22 16:42:50 (edited)
    Tom
    I do use a hairbrush and I make them strip for it. I make sure their little butts are rosy red and that they understand that extreme behavior has harsh consequences. I never bruise but it is painful otherwise there is no point in spanking.

It is important that they understand that their are limits and consequences in life. If you don't take the opportunity to teach your kids these hard lessons in a safe and loving environment then they could end up learning these things from the police, law suits, and loosing their jobs later in life.
  • ada 2011/07/20 06:36:34
    ada
    Depends. Once my daughter(11)had a tantrum and iI punished her till her bottom was rosy red.
  • Darryl 2011/04/26 15:52:59
    I don't spank my kids with a hairbrush.
    Darryl
    I dont agree with using a implement on a childs bottom,i use my hand only in 99% of spankings in the home,the slipper for very serious things is used by my partner
  • PDeverit 2010/12/01 01:27:55
    That's abuse.
    PDeverit
    Only suitable for minors?:

Schoolchildrens' "spanking" related injuries (WARNING - These images may be deeply disturbing to some viewers. Do not open this page if children are present).
    http://www.nospank.net/injure...

Reasonable and moderate? You decide.
    (WARNING - This sound recording may be deeply disturbing to some listeners. Do not open this file if children are within listening range).
    http://nospank.net/prj-006.wav
  • PDeverit PDeverit 2010/12/01 01:28:22
    PDeverit
    Only suitable for minors?:

People used to think it was necessary to "spank" adult members of the community, college students, military trainees, and prisoners. In some countries they still do. In our country, it is considered sexual battery if a person over the age of 18 is "spanked", but only if over the age of 18.

For one thing, because the buttocks are so close to the sex organs, anal region, and so multiply linked to sexual nerve centers, striking them can trigger powerful and involuntary sexual stimulus in some people. There are numerous physiological ways in which it can be intentionally or unintentionally sexually abusive, but I won't list them all here. One can read the testimony, documentation, and educational resources available from the website of Parents and Teachers Against Violence In Education at www.nospank.net

Child bottom-battering vs. DISCIPLINE:

Child bottom-battering (euphemistically labeled "spanking","swatting","switch... "paddling",or other cute-sounding names) for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

There are several reasons why child bottom-battering isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads reco...

Only suitable for minors?:

Child bottom-battering vs. DISCIPLINE:

There are several reasons why child bottom-battering isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
    by Jordan Riak
    http://www.nospank.net/pt2010...

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
    by Tom Johnson
    http://nospank.net/sdsc2.pdf

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
    by Lesli Taylor MD and Adah Maurer PhD
    http://nospank.net/taylor.htm

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping/battering isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,
    American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,
    American Psychological Association,
    Center For Effective Discipline,
    Churches' Network For Non-Violence,
    Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
    Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,
    Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,
    United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child.

In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

The US states with the highest crime rates and the poorest academic performance are also the ones with the highest rates of child corporal punishment.

There is simply no evidence to suggest that child bottom-battering instills virtue.
  • Tom PDeverit 2013/08/24 02:09:16
    Tom
    +1
    You are not talking about spanking. What you are talking about is vicious beatings not a spanking. Vicious beatings like that are illegal in the USA and are child abuse. The person who beats a child like that deserves to be in jail, but that is not what we are talking about hear.
  • allen s... Tom 2014/03/09 21:17:55
    allen saunders
    spanking is beating do you think because you call it something else it changes what it is self serving lies we need to remove violence from children's lives not celebrate it c.f. all these par nets did the equal to spanking to another adult there would be outrage and prision
  • Tom PDeverit 2013/08/24 02:08:41
    Tom
    +3
  • SpikeM ~In decay and abando... 2010/11/13 15:04:28
    I don't spank my kids with a hairbrush.
    SpikeM ~In decay and abandonment I trust~
    The only reason I don't is that I don't have any kids, but if I do and they misbehave they will get it until I see that they learned the lesson
    Guest 77750
    +3
  • kayln Guest 7... 2014/07/15 00:18:37
    kayln
    +2
    So you hit your daughter for hitting you? Ironic. You just taught your daughter that hitting is okay, as long as you have a "just" reason for it. Congratulations on your stellar parenting. Might I suggest, if she hits you again, to example that it is wrong to hurt people and that she hurt your feelings, make her think about what she did away from the situation, and after a while ask her what she did wrong? She's three for god sakes, she doesn't know any better!
  • Jeremy Grisham 2010/02/11 03:32:03
    I spank them until they are crying.
    Jeremy Grisham
    +2
    I spank my daughter with a hairbrush on her bare bottom. I spank her hard enough to hurt but not hard enough to bruise.
  • schnobbl1234 2009/12/25 16:39:33
    schnobbl1234
    +2
    Spank until the bad will is broken!
  • JCD aka "biz" 2009/12/19 12:09:33
    I don't spank my kids with a hairbrush.
    JCD aka "biz"
    I didn't, they are a bit old for that now, in their 40's.
  • Marjie 2009/12/19 02:00:42
    Marjie
    +2
    I think both age and gender comes in to the discussion! I would not use a paddle on a 4 yo girl but most certainly on a 14yo boy.
  • JCD aka... Marjie 2009/12/19 12:08:28 (edited)
    JCD aka "biz"
    You are clearly a most severe young mademoiselle! At what age do you consider boys should no longer be punished with a paddle?
  • Marjie JCD aka... 2009/12/19 23:55:57
    Marjie
    LOL? You think it's amusing? I don't spank for amusement but as a form of discipline.
  • JCD aka... Marjie 2009/12/20 09:18:06 (edited)
    JCD aka "biz"
    Sorry, Madam. LOL has been deleted. Still, can you answer my question, please? I'm sure mothers with unruly sons would be interested to know.
  • Marjie JCD aka... 2009/12/22 02:50:38
    Marjie
    +1
    Mothers with unruly sons will already know how to discipline them. Who am I to advise them? I have my own discipline methods and corporal punishment is last on the agenda. I do not feel good after having administered a sound spanking
  • JCD aka... Marjie 2009/12/22 16:02:45
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    You can get no satisfaction if the boy does not mend his ways, but if he does, "mission accomplished", and there is no reason why you should not feel good. Even he will eventually understand and be thankful.
  • Marjie JCD aka... 2009/12/23 00:31:51
    Marjie
    Okay - I'll go along with that.
  • eee Marjie 2014/10/25 16:58:17
    eee
    +1
    Yeah like with a 4year old girl a flyswatter or ruler would be fine while a 10year old boy or girl can be punished with a ceramic hairbrush or paddle.
  • Nina 2009/12/08 19:17:23
    Nina
    i think some kids need spanking, my daddy allways told me " you are never to old to get a spanking"
  • DT Nina 2009/12/31 20:42:30 (edited)
    DT
    I hear you Nina. my mother used the hairbrush on me right up until I was 13. for a few years after that she would intimate now and then that I wasn't too old for the hairbrush.

I didn't quite think that she would actually spank me again, but I never pushed it because I didn't want to find out that I was wrong in my thinking.

As you can guess, I didn't particularly enjoy being upside down across her lap getting my bare hiney blistered. although spankings were infrequent, when she did spank me it was quite memorable. but I do realize that they were appropriate for my behavior.

lap bare hiney blistered spankings infrequent spank memorable realize behavior
  • Aingean 2009/12/08 17:01:56
    That's abuse.
    Aingean
    If I ever have to spank my son it will be with my hand. And then only hard enough to get his attention. Spanking them with a brush, wooden spoon, a paddle, not only can it hurt them more then necessary but its abuse. I fully believe in giving children a whoopin if its called for. Not because the parents just looking for a punching bag to vent or using a object to abuse the child. There is a thin line between disciplining and abusing. Putting a object in your had only makes you more libel to cross that line.
  • ABEL Aingean 2009/12/08 17:36:52
    ABEL
    Its not abuse its discipline there is nothing wrong with using a object to whoop their kids if they deserve it they should get it.
  • Aingean ABEL 2009/12/08 18:04:01
    Aingean
    Discipline can be done without hitting them with something other then their hand. Hitting them with something like a brush or paddle is dangerous. Even if the parent is careful they can seriously harm a child when they use something like that.
  • ABEL Aingean 2009/12/08 18:13:30
    ABEL
    Whatever you can argue all you like but its discipline to me. Since your saying its abuse how did your parents discipline you?
  • Aingean ABEL 2009/12/08 20:11:21
    Aingean
    i got a spanking when i needed one but they never used anything other then their hand, giving a spanking is fine as long as it is just to get their attention. there is no reason to actually harm them. You can say all you want to, do what you want to but its still abusive if you continually hit them with something
  • eee Aingean 2014/10/25 17:01:35
    eee
    +3
    It depends. What you use how severe it is used and how many times it is used.
  • RedMonkey 2009/12/08 16:48:08
    That's abuse.
    RedMonkey
    +2
    thats called CHILD ABUSE!
  • craig RedMonkey 2010/01/07 18:11:36
    craig
    +5
    iam a single mother and a firm believer in spanking on the bare behinds and they know it so they know if they dont behave that mommy will spank there bare behinds just like sunday i had to spank my 4 year old twins and 3 year old twins for not behaveing while in chuech so i had to have my 13 year old daughters while i took them over to the ladys room lift up there dresses pull down there pantiies take them over my knee and spank there bare behinds good and hard
  • RedMonkey craig 2010/01/07 18:15:22
    RedMonkey
    I was also spanked as a kid,but never with a weapon.
  • lindsay craig 2011/06/03 20:02:03
    lindsay
    +2
    My boyfriend and I will be getting married soon
    He has had to spank his nephew who is five. Do you think it is right to use a spoon or belt on your children?
  • eee lindsay 2014/10/25 17:05:15
    eee
    +2
    For a 5year old most likely a spoon or a belt but with a belt only a few times.
  • eee craig 2014/10/25 17:03:04
    eee
    +3
    With what? A hand or belt?

2014/12/21 09:23:02