Do You Say 'Happy Holidays' or 'Merry Christmas'?

Michaela★ 2012/12/16 16:43:17
Merry Christmas!
Happy Holidays!

• obama needs to go 2013/01/11 01:15:25
    Merry Christmas!
    obama needs to go
    Another attempt by the libs to totally remove the whole reason for the holiday (Christ birth) in this country and make it "winter break" or other crap to distract that it's a Christian holiday. If you don't like it I'm sure theyres no objections from anyone and I'm sure you can work threw CHRISTmas if you'd like.
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/12/23 20:04:31
    Merry Christmas!
    Christopher Kirchen
    If someone can't take it in the spirit it was intended, as good wishes on that day, that's their problem, not mine.
  • elijahin24 2012/12/18 17:00:49
    Happy Holidays!
    elijahin24
    ...is my standard, but if I know for sure what is the religion of the person I'm greeting, I'll adjust to that. I'm not hostile to the words "merry Christmas", unless they are said with vitriol to me. That happens way too often.
  • Christo... elijahin24 2012/12/23 20:05:45
    Christopher Kirchen
    I seriously doubt it. The phrase "Merry Christmas" is seldom, if ever, said with vitriol.
  • elijahin24 Christo... 2012/12/29 16:41:06
    elijahin24
    Clearly you've never said "happy hollidays" to anyone. I hear it said with vitriol all the time.
  • Christo... elijahin24 2012/12/29 16:45:26
    Christopher Kirchen
    Probably because they feel they have to say it because the liberal establishment has practically outlawed "Merry Christmas".
  • elijahin24 Christo... 2012/12/29 16:58:42 (edited)
    elijahin24
    Please explain to me how the "liberal establishment" has done that. I really don't get this. We have freedom of speech in this country. You can say whatever you want. That said, government agencies are not allowed to endorse any specific religion. So in schools and post-offices, we embrace them all, with an all inclusive "happy holidays". Likewise, many businesses, don't want to alienate their non-Christian clientele; so they too, use the more inclusive greeting. It isn't required of them, it's a business decision. This is not an attack on YOU. It's merely an acceptance of others as well. Are Christians the ONLY religious group who should be treated respectfully?

*edit: corrected a typo
  • Christo... elijahin24 2012/12/29 17:16:41
    Christopher Kirchen
    The same way as they've made a lot of other things socially illegal. "black" as signifying a race, was never meant badly, but now "African-American" is practically required, lest you be branded a racist. We theoretically have freedom of speech in this country but there are those in the liberal establishment who have destroyed it for their own ends, usually the cause of "sensitivity". I am not a sensitive person and don't care to be.
  • elijahin24 Christo... 2012/12/29 18:35:21
    elijahin24
    I don't know a singly black person who has a problem with being called "black". I'm about as Liberal as they come, and that's what I call them. "African-American" is fine too, and is preferred by some, but I don't know anyone who gets angry when you call them black. Maybe you should look at the context in which you've used the word. Maybe THAT'S where they see racism.
    You use "political correctness" and "sensitivity" as a pejorative. What it really comes down to is respect. We prefer that institutions use "happy holidays" because it is RESPECTFUL of everyone. It is inclusive. I use "merry Christmas" when I am talking to someone I know to be a Christian; but I use "happy holidays" for everyone else, so that it addresses everyone, no matter what holiday they celebrate. That is respect. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
  • Christo... elijahin24 2012/12/29 19:03:07
    Christopher Kirchen
    Not everyone deserves respect; not because of race, or political persuasion, or national origin, or anything like that, but because of the way they are. Surely you know some people like that.
  • elijahin24 Christo... 2012/12/29 19:24:45
    elijahin24
    Sure, but when I am disrespectful, it is of the INDIVIDUAL, not of the race, religion, creed, color, sex or sexual orientation. No on douchebag represents the whole group.
  • Christo... elijahin24 2012/12/29 19:53:56
    Christopher Kirchen
    True, but that's how some of them take it; if you say something against them, they take it as being disrespectful of their whole(fill in the group here). Yes, it's stupid, but some of them do it.
  • elijahin24 Christo... 2012/12/30 02:27:04 (edited)
    elijahin24
    You can't please everyone, but we ALL have a responsibility to be honest with ourselves, when someone DOES get offended. Did we criticize or disrespect that person on the basis of his or her douchebaggery, or on the basis of their race, religion, creed, color, sex, or sexual orientation? If there is ANY doubt; then we need to be honest enough to recognize that the offended person may be justified, and that we may owe them an apology.
    In any case, THIS post was about something that DOES involve entire groups; and I completely understand why some are offended by "merry Christmas". I'm not, but I get why some are. And it isn't that there is anything wrong with Christianity or Christmas, in and of themselves. It's the arrogance that that phrase sometimes represents. That is to say that it suggests an assumption that the person to whom you speak IS Christian, and that it is odd or even somehow wrong with them, if they are not. For an atheist, or a Jew, or Muslim, or a member of some other religion, it seems to suggest a diminished value that they carry; despite the fact that they may live lives which are very valuable to our country, or the world at large.
    As I said, when I KNOW I'm talking to a Christian, I almost always say "merry Christmas". But if I'm uncertain, I offer the all...
    As I said, when I KNOW I'm talking to a Christian, I almost always say "merry Christmas". But if I'm uncertain, I offer the all-inclusive greeting. You wouldn't feel included if someone said "happy Chanukah", or "happy Saturnalia". "Happy holidays" just means WHATEVER day you celebrate this time of year, I hope it is a good one; and if you DON'T celebrate a holiday, I hope the holiday season is good for you.
  • beachbum 2012/12/17 21:52:48
    Merry Christmas!
    beachbum
  • ruthannhausman 2012/12/17 20:45:36
    Merry Christmas!
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    And I'll never stop, no matter what anybody says. You don't like it? Tune me out.
  • elijahin24 ruthann... 2012/12/18 17:02:41
    elijahin24
    +1
    Do you not see how off-putting your approach is? If you believe in God, that's fine. But you aren't saying that as a greeting or a wish of well-being on Dec. 25th. You're using these kind words as a bludgeon.
  • ruthann... elijahin24 2012/12/20 15:30:57
    ruthannhausman
    No, sweetie, I certainly am not. I was a bit abrasive in my comment, I admit, and I can see how you interpreted it the way you have. That's the problem with sites like SH -- and I'm not complaining at all, I assure you -- but sometimes, in an effort to be glib or even Socrates-like, I'll do short comments and it doesn't read as well as it would sound had you heard it from me verbally.

No, I say Merry Christmas to strangers and I always have a smile on my face as I do so By saying Merry Christmas I am identifying myself as either a Christian or a person who recognizes the good things about Christmas; i.e., people seem to behave themselves far better during the Christmas season than they do during the rest of the year.

To date, I have never had one person correct me or chastise me for wishing them a Merry Christmas. But I think it's also because of my body language when I say it. I am making it perfectly clear that I am wishing them well and not preaching or attempting to convert their religious belief system to mine.

That's all I meant, sir. I am perfectly aware there are a lot of folks out there who don't happen to be Christians. But I do believe that, with the expected exception of a few, of course, everybody pretty much agrees that "Merry Christmas" is a wish for happiness, etc., and is being given in place of Hello, how are you type greetings. No harm, no foul intended.

So Merry Christmas, Luv, to you and yours. :)
  • elijahin24 ruthann... 2012/12/20 16:15:45
    elijahin24
    My misake. It has NOT been my experience that people behave better during the holidays. I have been verbally beaten down, for having the audacity to wish someone a "happy holiday". I don't believe in God, but I still usually say "merry Christmas" if I know that the recipient of my greeting celebrates it. But for strangers "happy holidays" coveres WHATEVER holiday they celebrate. So that's what I go with. It seems to me that so many Christians, don't behave the way that I imagine Jesus would. I cannot imagine him getting hostile with someone, for a well-meaning greeting.
    When "merry Christmas" is offered with sincerety, I don't take offense. I don't know many who do. But for some, it isn't a greeting, but a shiboleth, to see if I fall in line with what THEY think I should say. That pisses me off. It is blasphemy by another name.So please don't take offense that I took your statement as I did.
    Best wishes for you and yours.
  • ruthann... elijahin24 2012/12/21 15:07:43
    ruthannhausman
    Oh, I didn't take offense, don't worry. It's better to discuss subjects such as this one in person rather than in writing when there is such little room to write because actually hearing the tone of people's voices helps in conveying the true intention of the words being used. Don't you agree?

No, I didn't take offense but I felt I had to explain myself because I feel terrible if I think somebody took something I said in a way that wasn't intended. That always bothers me. I don't mind if somebody doesn't like me, for instance, but I want them to not like me for all the right reasons, not because I said something or wrote something that they missed the gist of.

You can say Happy Holiday to me anytime, kiddo. I'm sorry you don't believe in God because there is a certain peace that comes along with it, but you are the master of your own ship and that is your choice, not mine. I will never chastise or berate you because you don't believe as I do. See, I believe that the ultimate truth is going to be found out eventually and I'm betting that you're going to be the one who's surprised. Be dumber than heck if I didn't think that way, huh?

You and yours have a great holiday season, regardless of what you choose to call it. And try not to let the zealots bug you to death!
  • Christo... elijahin24 2012/12/29 19:54:51
    Christopher Kirchen
    We DON'T CARE. If you don't like Merry Christmas, that's your problem.
  • elijahin24 Christo... 2012/12/30 02:30:02
    elijahin24
    No, it's not. I don't have a problem with "merry Christmas". But if you DO believe in Jesus, I would think it would be very much YOUR problem to know that YOU are blaspheming his name, by using it as a way to exalt yourself, and diminish others. The attitude YOU demonstrate above, is exactly the opposite of what your savior would have wanted, based on his teachings. So apparently, even as an atheist, I'm a better Christian than you. And THAT'S YOUR problem.
  • baxter 2012/12/17 16:00:00
    Merry Christmas!
    baxter
    Merry Christmas
  • Tennessee3501 2012/12/16 21:12:33
    Merry Christmas!
    Tennessee3501
    Happy Holidays is acceptable if you know that a person doesn't celebrate Christmas. I submit, however, that we are talking about very few people. Some may not celebrate it as a religious holididay, bur almost everybody celebrates it as a national holiday!
  • Summer 2012/12/16 20:23:59 (edited)
    Merry Christmas!
    Summer
    It has always been

• Metaldane 2012/12/16 19:45:55
    Happy Holidays!
    Metaldane
    I don't celebrate christmas so no reason to say it and I usually try to include everyone anyways as I'm generally pretty polite. I don't care what people say to me unless they already know I'm not christian and persist in saying merry christmas out of prejudice.
  • Aloria 2012/12/16 19:23:15
    Merry Christmas!
    Aloria
    Always but always Merry Christmas! shimmering  christmas tree gif manger scene
  • Red 2012/12/16 18:32:52
  • Bacci 2012/12/16 18:21:40
    Merry Christmas!
    Bacci
    Always have, and always will.
  • flrdsgns 2012/12/16 17:38:40
    Merry Christmas!
    flrdsgns
    I say Merry Christmas to all, unless I run into Bill O, then I would say happy holidays, just to watch him turn red lol
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2012/12/16 17:36:40
    Merry Christmas!
    SoCalEx-Dem
  • Marty 2012/12/16 17:34:43
    Merry Christmas!
    Marty
    Depends, If I know the person celebrates or says Merry Christmas, I say it too. Otherwise, Happy Holidays is my choice because it covers all bases.
  • james 2012/12/16 17:32:16
    Happy Holidays!
    james
    +1
    I say "Hyvää Joulua" because i live in Finland. xD
  • Michaela★ 2012/12/16 17:26:33 (edited)
    Merry Christmas!
    Michaela★
    +1
    I don't care if I offend someone, It's what I feel right saying.
    merry christmas gif
    merry christmas gif
  • elijahin24 Michaela★ 2012/12/18 17:05:58
    elijahin24
    Do you not see how rude that is? Those words are intended to be a greeting of kindness. When you say "I don't care if I offend someone, It's what I feel right saying", you completely obliterate the point of the words themselves. It's fine if that's what you're comfortable with, but at least respect your fellow human, enough to be polite. Is this what Jesus would do?
  • Richard M. Nixon 2012/12/16 17:25:15
    Happy Holidays!
    Richard M. Nixon
    Depends. If I know what the person I'm addressing celebrates, I'm specific. How about you?

depends person addressing celebrates specific
  • Denny Boy 2012/12/16 17:24:16
    Merry Christmas!
    Denny Boy
    +3
    Because there is no such a day called "the holiday".
  • Richard... Denny Boy 2012/12/16 17:26:01
  • elijahin24 Denny Boy 2012/12/18 17:06:38
    elijahin24
    Are you for real with this?
  • millermedia 2012/12/16 17:18:46
    Merry Christmas!
    millermedia
    I love to say it back to those who say Happy Holidays. You would be surprised how many say that because their employer forces them to, went they would rather say Merry Christmas from their heart.
  • Richard... millerm... 2012/12/16 17:27:30
    Richard M. Nixon
    How about others that celebrate different holidays this season? Doesn't "Happy Holidays" cover them all?

celebrate holidays season happy holidays cover

2014/07/30 13:10:08