Do you put vinegar on your windshield in frosty weather?

flaca BN-0 2012/01/24 22:43:14

Household Disinfectant. During the days of the Black Plague, it was believed that vinegar would ward off disease. Technically they were right. Vinegar is effective bacteria killer, and you can use it for household cleaning purposes, ranging from scrubbing the tub to even cleaning mirrors or stainless steel. You can use the vinegar straight-up.

Windshield De-Icer. If the forecast calls for frost, ensure a morning free of scraping with a coat of this preventative solution: 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water. Simply spritz over your windshield for a few weeks' worth of protection.

Drain Unclogger. Remember the science experiments you would do as a kid with the volcano made of vinegar and baking soda? Try putting a little bit of baking soda into a clogged drain and then pour vinegar into it. Your volcano, I mean drain, will erupt and the reaction helps break down down. The best part about this method is that is much safer than industrial chemical drain cleaners, which are toxic to your pets and children.

Laundry. Do you have some stinky laundry? We all do, and you can use vinegar to help deodorize your garments or laundry. Just pour a cup of vinegar into the washer and it helps take care of your odor problems. Not only that, but the vinegar also helps keep your fabric soft and fluffy. Just add the vinegar when you start the laundry cycle with your regular detergent. (And no, it won't make your clothes smell like a salad.)

Clear The Air. When painting the walls, even low-VOC formulas can give off a bit of an odor. But a dish of vinegar placed in the room will reduce the smell, making this task (a little) easier.

• rosehalo 2012/01/25 01:49:12
    rosehalo
    i need to try the deicing thing. hope it works!
  • ehrhornp 2012/01/25 00:40:32
    ehrhornp
    Have no problem with frosty weather in Hawaii. Good tips however. Wish I knew about this when my daughter was living at home and coming home from soccer with clothes that really smelled.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/01/25 00:26:03
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Thanks! I clean with vinegar all the time, but I never heard of it as a windshield protector.
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/01/25 00:08:35
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +1
    This is good to know because I keep a gallon in my car with my laundry stuff.
  • Nick Name 2012/01/24 23:27:56
    Nick Name
    +1
    I live in a place where frosted windshields isn't a common problem. Those silver shiny things people put inside the windshield to keep the inside of the car from getting hot? I've seen people put them on the outside of the windshield and cardboard to stop frost.
    Ain't perfect, but it helps.

I still put vinegar and oil on salad sometimes. Good stuff.
  • oldcavpilot 2012/01/24 23:09:08
    oldcavpilot
    +1
    Good info.
  • flaca BN-0 oldcavp... 2012/01/24 23:13:47
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    you live in RI huh? same as Sister Jean. Do you two go and have tea and crumpets together? We don't have much of what you could call winter in TX, but I thought the vinegar thing would be useful for many other sodaheads. Hope it works.
  • oldcavp... flaca BN-0 2012/01/24 23:25:54
    oldcavpilot
    +1
    In the RI mentality, she lives 'all the way on the other side of the state' which is about 32 miles. No, we've never met.

I'm interested in the de-icing thing though, I'm gonna give it a try.
  • Bozette 2012/01/24 23:02:57
    Bozette
    +1
    Thanks for posting. I have used vinegar for all of the other things listed, but had never heard of using it on the windshield. Will be trying that, should come in handy here in Michigan. :)
  • flaca BN-0 Bozette 2012/01/24 23:12:28
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    hope it works Bozette. And let's hope you get a mild winter: we haven't really seen winter here in TX and in 3 weeks it's valentine's day and we can prune plants. Haven't even had a winter so far.
  • Bozette flaca BN-0 2012/01/24 23:26:09
    Bozette
    +1
    Haven't had much of one so far, in fact, it is raining now. It has been alternating between rain and bitter winds, which does ice up the windshield, so I think I'll have a chance to try it. :)
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2012/01/24 23:01:39
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +1
    When Braintree, Massachusetts was hit with an epidemic of dysentery in 1775, Abigail Adams scrubbed her house with vinegar.
  • Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~ 2012/01/24 22:55:16
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +2
    Thanks for the info - I'll be getting into the vinegar shortly. I've used it for cleaning and unclogging the drain but the rest of those tips are new. gold star
  • flaca BN-0 Ali ~ I... 2012/01/24 22:56:25
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    message us if it works: I don't really need it cos I live in TX!
  • Ali ~ I... flaca BN-0 2012/01/25 00:06:39
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    I live in Cali - we don't need it often either. But when I hear of a cold spell coming, I'll be out there with my spray bottle...
  • Anna 2012/01/24 22:44:17
    Anna
    +1
    No but I'd like to.
  • flaca BN-0 Anna 2012/01/24 22:45:31
    flaca BN-0
    I guess you could try it. LOL
  • Anna flaca BN-0 2012/01/24 22:52:49
    Anna
    We don't need it actually. Just having fun here......

2014/12/21 05:31:52