Do you have atheist friends?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/05/14 23:32:26
Related Topics: Friends, Friend

• Sean Mathews 2012/06/02 21:57:17
    Sean Mathews
    Sad for the 22 people who said No. :\
  • Gangstersteve1993 2012/05/27 00:28:24
    Gangstersteve1993
    Not what I know :L
  • Chewy 2012/05/23 12:15:17
    Chewy
    No...I just have "friends" thank you! I am an atheist but I dont go around looking for "atheist" friends (Excuse me...are you an atheist and would you like to be friends?) Most people dont like to be "classified" you know?
  • TheVynne 2012/05/17 08:45:33
    TheVynne
    Just me.........in my little atheist corner. Though I usually just say "I have no religion" or free thinker, I say atheist and I always get anarchist back. -_-;
  • David Hussey 2012/05/17 05:19:52
    David Hussey
    +1
    Sure. I don't select my friends based on any criteria of religious beliefs. Atheists, Christians, Muslims... I've even got a couple of Buddhists and a Shinto
  • Scott 2012/05/16 11:40:03
    Scott
    I've had a fair few of them in my time.
  • grasshopper 2012/05/16 03:18:31
    grasshopper
    not enough
  • nails 2012/05/16 01:43:13
    nails
    Some friend's seem to be very shy,Unable to join in a simple debate,or just have no desire
    to enter a conversation concerning the topic.It's a good way to remain friends.
  • MENAH 2012/05/16 00:55:36
    MENAH
    +1
    I don't really have friends so nope! I'm a Satanist but out of my real friends two of them are Christians and the other idk...But I'm not concerned...
  • TrudyGirl 2012/05/15 22:14:46
    TrudyGirl
    +1
    yep and a few that won't admit because they are AFRAID of the CHRISTIAN'S reaction...I personally don't care if they scream that I am going to hell (secret: there isn't one)
  • Gangste... TrudyGirl 2012/05/27 00:27:52
    Gangstersteve1993
    +1
    lol that's what I been saying for years :D
  • TrudyGirl Gangste... 2012/05/27 16:01:48
    TrudyGirl
    and I am sure you have been getting those same fast trip to hell wishes! The great thing is we know they are in for a real surprise when they are not greeted with a gate to hell or those pearly ones..
  • Gangste... TrudyGirl 2012/05/27 21:28:18
    Gangstersteve1993
    I may of done but I know scientifically not religiously. And then two don't mix.
  • TrudyGirl Gangste... 2012/05/28 00:07:57
    TrudyGirl
    You are right about that and I am also on the science side so actually they will never know, will they>
  • Gangste... TrudyGirl 2012/05/28 15:54:08
    Gangstersteve1993
    Not in a million years
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/05/15 20:57:32
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    Yeah, and I also have pagan, Wiccan, Satanist, catholic and baptist.

But strangely, all of my friends are white. Weird. lol
  • Gretchen Leaderofskyclan 2012/05/15 20:50:54
    Gretchen Leaderofskyclan
    One-- and I just found out today. Mmh.
  • layla.geldhof 2012/05/15 20:49:39
    layla.geldhof
    +1
    It does not matter what my friends believe in......its important for me to know that they are good people and respect me ,no matter if they are Christian,Athiest or Moslem. But i would never discuss those things like about religion and beliefs because thats for everyone different Live and live is my motto ............
  • TrudyGirl layla.g... 2012/05/27 16:04:51
    TrudyGirl
    Well said your life will be full because of an open heart.
  • FunnyLittleNightmare 2012/05/15 19:59:34
    FunnyLittleNightmare
    Agnostic at best. I am the Atheist one...
  • Anna 2012/05/15 19:46:23
    Anna
    +1
    Lots. I've got friends of many different beliefs.
  • gfreeman BN-0 2012/05/15 19:31:05
    gfreeman BN-0
    Lots.
  • Smokey 2012/05/15 19:14:32
    Smokey
    Yes, and they laugh at me when I tell them to go to hell! :) lol
  • VenomHalos 2012/05/15 19:06:46 (edited)
    VenomHalos
    +1
    Quite a few. Including myself, if I count as a friend. Well, I'm atheist agnostic, but it's pretty similar.
    Anyways, I also have Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, and Wiccan friends. Possibly other religions as well, but I'm not sure.
  • Hobbes VenomHalos 2012/05/16 04:03:38 (edited)
    Hobbes
    "Atheist agnostic?" I suppose you would select "6" on Richard Dawkins' Seven point Scale of Theistic Belief?

Dawkins offers:

1. Strong theist. 100 percent probability of God.
    2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent.
    3. Higher than 50 percent but not very high.
    4. Exactly 50 percent. Completely impartial agnostic.
    5. Lower than 50 percent but not very low.
    6. Very low probability, but short of zero.
    7. Strong atheist.

Dawkins opts for six, as do I. Sounds reasonable to me. One cannot know all things, thus, one cannot know with certitude that there is no god, but the probability of such a being existing is certainly near zero since objective evidence is non existent.

In other words, the existence of a god is as probable as Bertrand Russell's orbiting teapot. Given that the evolution of technology appears to be increasing exponentially, however, who can say what we could do in another thousand years. Perhaps we are evolving gods.
  • VenomHalos Hobbes 2012/05/16 04:22:47 (edited)
    VenomHalos
    +1
    I'm not sure, really. I'd say I'm more in between 5 and 6. But if I had to pick one...... yes, probably 6. I think the piece of 5 in there just comes from my dislike of being wrong. Which, honesty, I think is a big part of why I'm agnostic. I can't pick on or the other, because I know there would be a 50/50 chance of me being wrong. But over time I've started moving more towards the atheist side of the scale. I used to be pretty much in the middle. But, since then, I've experienced more things. And that has made me seriously doubt the existence of a "God." And, if there IS a God...... well, I'm not sure that they would be someone that I would want to put much faith in. Because if there is a God....... Well. He's got some explaining to do, you know?
    Also: it's funny. The term for what I identify as is actually agnostic atheist. But I always say atheist agnostic. To me, it just makes more sense. I mean, I'm more agnostic than I am atheist. So atheist agnostic makes it sound more like "atheist" is the adjective. Anyways, carry on....... :P
  • Hobbes VenomHalos 2012/05/16 14:06:29 (edited)
    Hobbes
    +1
    "Dislike of being wrong." LOL. That is one of the most honest self-analytical statements I've heard. I think most of us feel the same, but are loath to admit it.

I HIGHLY recommend Richard Dawkins' book, "THE GOD DELUSION." You can buy it either in print or download the audio version, read by Dawkins himself. If you do a lot of commuting as did I, the audio version would work great. I also bought it in digital download so I could do searches when I wanted to reference particular propositions. It has been most valuable in my own writing.

I think (and Dawkins discusses the disagreement he had with his publisher--Dawkins won) the title is unfortunate, as it will inhibit many potential readers from picking it up. It is, however, a MOST interesting book, chocked full of gems of reason and humor.

I used to say that I was an "agnostic with latent atheistic tendencies" :D. I reasoned that the strong fundamentalist was simply a mirror image of the strong atheist--neither could with intellectual honesty hold that position with certitude. After reading The God Delusion in which the scale of theistic belief is presented, I found 6 to be a better description of my position. Thus, I now consider myself an atheist (I actually evolved from "almost" Christian fundamentalism to atheism). Had I bee...

I used to say that I was an "agnostic with latent atheistic tendencies" :D. I reasoned that the strong fundamentalist was simply a mirror image of the strong atheist--neither could with intellectual honesty hold that position with certitude. After reading The God Delusion in which the scale of theistic belief is presented, I found 6 to be a better description of my position. Thus, I now consider myself an atheist (I actually evolved from "almost" Christian fundamentalism to atheism). Had I been a strong fundamentalist (1), I would never have evolved, and would be shutting out any and all reason that might cast doubt on my learned beliefs (SodaHead member TheR is a prime example).

I now say that the unexamined belief is not worth believing.

Note: the edit was for correcting typos.
  • VenomHalos Hobbes 2012/05/21 05:55:43
    VenomHalos
    +1
    Hahaha well, I like to be analytical of myself, I suppose. It leaves less surprises. Of course, then when something IS surprising, it's even more so. But I'll take what I can get.
    You know, it's funny. I've actually wanted to read The God Delusion for quite a while. It just sounds so interesting. Although, whether that's because of its title or its content has yet to be determined. I mean, I'm dying to read The Last Testament, A Memoir by God, and I really haven't even looked at what it's about yet. But, if I read it, I'll definitely look into that first.
    Anyways, yes, I'd really like to read the God Delusion. I love books, articles, etc. that discuss that topic. Because I think about it all the time, and it's nice to have someone else's opinion to look at. It really helps in developing my own, you know?
  • Hobbes VenomHalos 2012/05/21 12:46:56
    Hobbes
    Hmm, interesting indeed. I haven't heard of The Last Testament: A Memoir by God--no doubt because I've been buried in my own writing project for the past few years. Odd that I didn't come across it in my research. I'll look it up today.

Thanks for the heads up on that.
  • VenomHalos Hobbes 2012/05/22 04:21:16
    VenomHalos
    +1
    It's sort of a.... comedy, I suppose? It's in the humour section. But it looks really interesting.
  • Hobbes VenomHalos 2012/05/23 02:24:17
    Hobbes
    Yes, it does look like a rather humorous book. I found this video on the site: http://books.simonandschuster...

• ZachStowe Hobbes 2012/05/21 16:12:22
    ZachStowe
    Is 6.8 a choice? ;)
  • Hobbes ZachStowe 2012/05/21 16:21:55
    Hobbes
    LOL! Were that part of the scale, I'd say that Dawkins and I would be there--even 6.9. But, of course, Dawkins was simply being pithy, as I'm sure you know.:D
  • ZachStowe Hobbes 2012/05/21 19:00:30
    ZachStowe
    Lol :)
    If we are talking the actual religions that are out there its more like 6.99 for me, but if we are talking about something that is way more intelligent than us controlling at least part of this universe (doesn't necessarily have to be a god) then I'm like a 6.8 - could be possible, but most likely definitely not :)
  • Hobbes ZachStowe 2012/05/23 02:54:24
    Hobbes
    +1
    Then we are in the same boat on that one. To me it is obvious that religion is an invention of humans--created as a means to placate the deep insecurity we feel by the awareness of our own mortality. We are spooked by our own existence, and the more fundamental and tenacious one is with his theology, the more insecurity he is suppressing.

That is why many (most?) fundamentalists will respond in anger, or run away, or blurt out endless and incoherent prophesies of divine retribution for my heresies when I ask them hard questions about their theology.

The late, great Joseph Campbell called religion a mask that we place against the unknowable. I love that analogy, and I would add that each person who dares to peek behind that mask, as I did, will see only themselves.
  • ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥ 2012/05/15 18:58:49
    ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥
    Not many. But I do.
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/05/15 18:58:20
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    Yes.
  • Rave 2012/05/15 18:47:47
    Rave
    Majority of the people my age in the country I live in are atheists. Most people around me are. I have some friends that are Christian too, and some who are Buddhist, Agnostic, Muslim etc.
    +3
    i of my best is
  • Dianna Bernhardt 2012/05/15 18:11:52
    Dianna Bernhardt
    +1
    Yes, why? Because a persons religion shouldn't make it so i don't or wont like them, it is THEIR choice what they wish to or not to believe in. If i decided not to be someones friend because i don't like what or who they believe in, I wouldn't have very many friends now would I? Not my place to judge.

2014/08/30 22:37:31