Do you feel that thin, athletic, pretty woman face rampant discrimination??

Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/12/05 18:06:46
Yes, society treats overweight women far better than thin women.
No, this only adds to the problem, rather than unifying women, brings them further apart.
Other

Britton Delizia works really hard to stay in shape, fighting the good fight against a culture that would prefer she not exercise or put any effort into being thin. She is bravely battling the numerous social pressures to be fat. And she wants women to know that it’s acceptable to do the same, to be athletic, and healthy, in spite of ubiquitous forces arguing that it is BAD to want these things.

So she’s launched a Kickstarter to fund a photo book to do just that.

Confused? Titled “I’m learning to apologize for my Metabolism,” her project will present a “collection of images of women standing up against a society that protects fat culture while bastardizing thin and athletic women.”

Still confused? Yeah. Me too.

Delizia’s argument, bafflingly outlined in the project description, is that there is some sort of organized effort to shame and dismiss women who are athletic or slender. She says:

Its undeniable that when we stand a skinny, athletic or even average sized female next to a larger (even if less healthy, overweight or obese) female, that unless we live outside of this stigma, we as Americans will assume that the heavier person is funnier, smarter, nicer, and less sexually promiscuous, all because she is not as thin or physically fit than the girl next to her.

Huh.
http://www.xojane.com/issues/kickstarter-project-britton-delizia

Read More: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1772396160/im-...

• Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/12/05 19:58:25
    No, this only adds to the problem, rather than unifying women, brings them fu...
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +8
    Not that I've seen, clothes and everything is still catering to the ultra thin. If anything I think big people are pressured more to lose weight to conform to what society wants.

• Cat 2012/12/17 05:15:46
    Cat
    Where are all the overweight supermodels?
  • ★misfit★ 2012/12/17 04:24:14
    ★misfit★
    +1
    I have seen thin women discriminated against, but no more so than overweight women. Overweight women are labeled "lazy, poor self-control, less intelligent." Slim women are labeled "stuck-up, bitchy, full of themselves." We need to stop this "skinny is better!" "curvy is better!" nonsense and just encourage people to be a weight that is healthy and they feel comfortable with.
  • Anna 2012/12/09 09:16:04
    Other
    Anna
    +1
    I find we face it from those who are out of shape, and extremely thin girls are often labeled anorexic. But mostly life is pretty good for us.
  • pantagruella 2012/12/07 15:34:42
    pantagruella
    Yes, there is discrimination between thick and thin. But I doubt it's rampant.
  • elvira 2012/12/07 05:12:52
    Other
    elvira
    +4
    No I don't. I believe they are not discriminated against they are envied.

No one has a perfect body but we should try to keep the one we have in good running order. I personally don't know anyone who enjoys being fat. Being athletic is great. Eating or the lack of to get to the point of "skin and bones" is just as unhealthy as being fat.
  • MlssCue... elvira 2012/12/07 09:18:54
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +2
    Exactly the point I generally try to get across as well but next to no one wants to hear that argument. Thank you!
  • Feria~THEZombieSlayingB!tch... 2012/12/06 23:21:36
  • ☂cinderella.dress.in.yellow☂ 2012/12/06 16:16:01 (edited)
    Other
    ☂cinderella.dress.in.yellow☂
    +3
    I don't think there is a such thing as a perfect body if your happy with your body then
    thats all that matters you don't have to be skinny to be beauitful .
    body happy body matters skinny beauitful
  • S Perkins 2012/12/06 14:26:36
  • AM 2012/12/06 12:54:31 (edited)
  • Marianne 2012/12/06 07:32:24
    Other
    Marianne
    +1
    Why not respect women as they are?

I saw rather a discrimination of fat women who are fighting for recognition.

Every individual is different. Fashion dictates extremely skinny women, especially since the Twiggy trend. The problem is that many women, namely teens, are starving themselves to death to meet with some fashion dictate, rather than accepting their body and caring for health with balanced nutrition and suitable physical exercise.

On the other hand, the food and beverage industries are selling unhealthy, too caloric products, while most people are switching from sedentary work to sedentary leisure activities, and that starts already at school.

We cannot change our genes, some are skinny, and others are forced into making big efforts to remain slim.

Others have health problems. Stress, drugs, alcohol, hard work, too high performance demand, lacking sleep, traumatisms, etc. are known to have very negative impacts. Physical activities are important, but they must not be exaggerated or made under constraint. Especially children need balanced food and various physical activities.

And the big consumers' organisations should put pressure on the junk food industries to produce healthier food.

No one has to apologise for his or her body.
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2012/12/06 06:59:21
    Other
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +3
    I don't think so, I think society places those types on a pedestal and vilifies beautiful, curvier women, thats why we see so many with body image issues and girls starving themselves to achieve some unrealistic ideal of what a "perfect" woman is supposed to look like
  • Michael McFascist 2012/12/06 06:39:23 (edited)
    Other
    Michael McFascist
    +2
    well, it looks like she's saying controversial things to drum up business in order to create a photograph book filled with horribly oppressed athletic women...I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to feel about this. It sounds like a goof to me.

puzzled gifs

I certainly don't think beautiful athletic women face rampant discrimination...but they do face alot of unwanted attention IMHO...not this woman of course...she's looking for attention.

I think someone should have told her to stop at, "Just because you're a beautiful athletic women doesn't mean you're stupid." But she had to carry on with the whole, "Oh woes me, I'm being oppressed by a nation of obese people...." Whatever...
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/12/06 06:25:33 (edited)
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +4
    I don't know that it brings us further apart, no probably not but I also don't feel that they face "rampant discrimination" all I hear is praises of such a body, looks, etc...

Had to edit to add this picture I've had and waiting for the perfect opportunity to use, and this is it.
    believe
  • Melizmatic MlssCue... 2012/12/06 16:52:37
    Melizmatic
    +2
    Brilliant.

:)
  • MlssCue... Melizmatic 2012/12/07 09:13:21
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +1
    Thank you :)
  • NightRyder 2012/12/06 05:04:12
    Other
    NightRyder
    +5
    The woman may be slim, but she has fat on the brain. Another thing, real beauty is mostly in side the person, not on the out.
  • heirsoftheking 2012/12/06 02:35:07
    heirsoftheking
    Go to any city government. Who works there? Overweight, grumpy, slow-poke, tax-wasting women. No movie stars there!
  • Katt 2012/12/06 02:23:05
    Other
    Katt
    +3
    Amazing how you never hear problems like this among men. Ughh COME ON WOMEN!!
    You can't judge someone by their size, so if people are being discriminated against because of their weight than this world is more ridiculous than I thought. Yes some parts of the media and society put overweight women in the "glamorous" light in this new era of "be yourself/love yourself" which is fine but in reality that's completely not true.
    In this day and age Skinny is still the desirable weight (aka what society wants).So to say that obese women get treated better than skinnier women is beyond not true.

*I'm athletic and curvy, not because someone wants me to be, because I want to be and I like it*.
  • Elizabeth 2012/12/06 02:01:36
    Other
    Elizabeth
    +4
    What? On Long Island, NY, it's the overweight women who are discriminated against. They are less apt to be hired over their thinner counterparts b/c we believe that if they aren't taking care of themselves, then they are probably more apt to be lazy. In addition, if you're healthy, you'll come to work more often. So, I don't know what this lady is talking about. She's probably a wacko.
  • Dee Zyn 2012/12/06 00:11:26
    Other
    Dee Zyn
    +1
    When I was a young I was petit and thin. People used to say to me, "I know that everyone gives you things all the time. Well I won't" Truth is, all most everyone said that to me. I was blocked my people that could have given me an easier life. I was assulted numerous times. I always tried to be nice to people, but if you take advantage of my good nature, I will get mean.
  • laydeelapis 2012/12/05 22:47:47
    Other
    laydeelapis
    +6
    I get a lot of crap for being thin. I understand both sides of the issue but I don't think it's fair that people call us anorexic or say that real women have curves. All women are real women. You shouldn't be punished or ostracized for not being able to control your metabolism. The most important thing is to be healthy, and that varies depending on your natural shape, bone structure, etc.
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/12/05 22:43:06
    Other
    **StarzAbove**
    +7
    I've never known a thin person to be discriminated against. I have a niece who is anorexic and we are very worried about her so we do tend to encourage her to eat, but so far it hasn't done any good.

And I also have another niece who is very overweight, one of the sweetest person alive, and yet people make fun of her all the time.

People just need to quit making assumptions about others' weight. It's none of their business.
  • MlssCue... **Starz... 2012/12/06 06:37:40
  • susan BN-0 2012/12/05 22:00:04
    susan BN-0
    +4
    No,It's the other way around and I think It's stupid,because beautiful women come In all shapes and sizes,I'm overweight and my best friend Is skinny and we accept each other the way we are and that's the way It should be.So I say to all the fat girls and skinny girls,we are all beautiful.
  • .: LiVi :. 2012/12/05 21:58:06
    Other
    .: LiVi :.
    +4
    I can see both sides of this. But she does have a point about overwhelmingly unfair jealousy of slim athletic women from the overweight crowd. I'm sick of going around anywhere in a bikini and the amount of women greasing me off like i've personally offended them by being fitter than them. People are pathetic. But I can't really complain, I don't care what some jealous women thi.k. They are not the whole of society, and in fact being attractive means you get better treatment wherever you go in general so I think this girl's going a bit far with her argument. We should just all count our blessings..
  • Melizmatic .: LiVi :. 2012/12/05 22:50:58 (edited)
    Melizmatic
    +4
    >>>"I'm sick of going around anywhere in a bikini and the amount of women greasing me off like i've personally offended them by being fitter than them."<<<

That's ironic; personally, I revel in it.

Stay jealous

:)

Because I know how hard I worked hard to get my body back after having a kid, and more importantly, that my entire self worth isn't intertwined with my appearance.

So let the haters gnash their teeth; it must suck to be them.
  • .: LiVi :. Melizmatic 2012/12/06 05:31:22
    .: LiVi :.
    +3
    Haha true! Well good for yoy, i'm happy for you. that really is an achievement! I hope when I have children I will also manage to do the same. And you're absolutely right, it is sad that some people have.nothing more to value than an appearance. :)
  • Melizmatic .: LiVi :. 2012/12/06 05:46:36
  • polkastria 2012/12/05 21:50:29
    Other
    polkastria
    +3
    Sounds like she's being over dramatic to me in an attempt to get people to give her money for her self involved idea.

Or she's being so sarcastic that it's not registering and it's really a joke.
  • Bacci 2012/12/05 21:47:35
    Bacci
    +3
    I don't think it's discrimination against thinner, healthier women, I think it just pure jealousy.
  • MlssCue... Bacci 2012/12/06 06:34:21
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +2
    Do you feel it's jealousy when a heavier woman is harassed for her weight as well?
  • Bacci MlssCue... 2012/12/06 07:09:04
    Bacci
    +2
    No, I do not.
  • MlssCue... Bacci 2012/12/06 07:10:21
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +3
    I didn't think so. Thank you.
  • Bacci MlssCue... 2012/12/06 07:11:37
    Bacci
    +3
    Your welcome.
  • keeper 2012/12/05 21:45:50
    keeper
    +3
    My girlfriend was thin, and people kept accusing me of not feeding her!!! LOL
    (PS....I did feed her!)
  • Melicio... keeper 2012/12/05 21:53:07
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +6
    Can she not feed herself? Kidding.

But seriously, comments like that are hurtful, but I would wager, not nearly as rampant as hurtful comments to those who are overweight.
  • Archer ... Melicio... 2012/12/05 22:16:53
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +3
    The difference isn't so much the comments, but the intent behind it.

I've found most of the time, the jokes about thin girls not being fed, or could use a whopper, while hurtful to the person on the receiving end, at least aren't said maliciously most often.

However, the intent behind nearly ALL comments to those overweight and beyond are malicious. "What a cow" or "do you know what a salad is?" ... yeah. Malicious.
  • Melizmatic Melicio... 2012/12/05 22:31:31
    Melizmatic
    +5
    Not even remotely.

Having been underweight in the past I know from experience that the mockery that I received was still minimal compared to how some people 'go to town' on those who are over-weight.
  • keeper Melicio... 2012/12/06 21:07:06
    keeper
    +1
    They didn't bother me, but my GF would always shy away.... she was not anorexic or bulemic either...she was just a petite 5'2" ~ 105# lady....

2014/08/31 06:33:30