Do You Fear Arsenic in Apple Juice?

ABCnews.com 2011/09/15 12:05:43
Related Topics: Apple, Juice

• David Seven 2011/09/15 15:38:04
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    David Seven
    +4
    I was extremely disappointment with GMA to even have this guy question Dr. Oz. Dr. Oz has been America's Doctor for at least 3 years and if anything we know that Dr. Oz cares for the general public health. Arsenic - inorganic or organic more than 3 parts per Billion CAN be dangerous! And to think just because the FDA HASN'T regulated this issue, these companies feel it's ok to sell poison to consumers that they would give to our children.

Whatever happen to better safe then sorry? In the Dr. Oz segment he expressed that these arsenic levels could at worse cause cancer and or learning disabilities in Children.
    My 4 old year daughter has what doctors call "Developmental Delays"
    Up until she was turned one years old she met all of her milestones but shortly after she turned 1 years old and we introduced juice into her diet Mecca started slowing down and is now in Special Education to assist her with her delays. She has been going to special schools since the age of 2. We have taken her to every type of doctor and therapist to help and find out what went wrong. How could a child at 6-9 months have enough motor control to wink an eye and say word to totally losing the ability to wink and have severe speech delays.

No one said or even suggested at the every juice we were givi...

No one said or even suggested at the every juice we were giving her to keep her healthy may have been the cause of the issues she's having.

The bigger question is: Why isn't Arsenic in Apple Juice regulated?
    GMA, instead of having some HACK doctor say "This is not responsible" and "This is fear mongering" should of had a member of the FDA and U.S. Congress asking them why isn't this regulated?

In short - Shame on YOU GMA!

• sam 2011/11/02 07:58:29
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    sam
    On September 13, 2011, the FDA sent a second letter to the Dr. Oz show stating, among other things that, "In short, the results of the tests cited above do not indicate that apple juice contains unsafe amounts of arsenic. The FDA reaffirms its belief, as stated in our September 9, 2011 letter, that it would be irresponsible and misleading for the Dr. Oz Show to suggest that apple juice is unsafe based on tests for total arsenic."

Sincerely,

Don L. Zink, Ph.D.
    Senior Science Advisor
    U.S. Food and Drug Administration
    Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
    This was after the Dr. Oz show tested several samples of Nestle/Gerber's juicy juice and found and reported, on his show, concerably high levels of arsenic in Nestle's apple joice.

Its important I believe to point out the before Dr. Zink went to work for the FDA from
    1990 - 2002 Don L. Zink, Ph.D worked for Nestle 's subsidiary company Carnation in Quality Assurance for the he served as Director of Food Safety for Nestle USA. Does the FDA have any remaining credibility in anyone's eyes?
  • Charles McKinney 2011/09/16 03:02:05
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    Charles McKinney
    +2
    I think GMA should have controlled the conversation better between Dr. Oz and the other loud mouth. Plus i never trust the government there always covering up stuff. I think Dr.Oz has opened up a issue and to get the truth out and the FDA is now trying to shut him up on the subject. Funny tho how the FDA didn't even want to help him in the study in the first place tho and now it seems there trying to discredit his findings!!
  • PRATT04 Charles... 2011/09/16 22:46:59
    PRATT04
    +2
    What color could the sky possibly be in your demented world??!!
  • Sue Lloyd 2011/09/15 21:01:19
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    Sue Lloyd
    +1
    Shame on Dr. Besser for giving Dr. Oz a tongue lashing concerning his contaminated apple juice show. Good for Dr. Oz to "out" these companies that care more about profits than the health of our children. I believe the findings of the lab that America's Apple juice is contaminated from concentrates from China. When will America wake up and realize that we need to avoid anything from China. Let's buy organic made in the USA! Thank you Dr. OZ for being brave enough to tell the truth. I will never value Dr. Besser opinion about anything anymore. You were out of line, Dr. Besser.
  • PRATT04 Sue Lloyd 2011/09/16 22:49:03
    PRATT04
    +3
    I find it hard to believe that you're a real person........deprive your children of apples?? TSK! TSK!
    Your children should be sent to foster homes!!!
  • clifford PRATT04 2011/09/19 20:07:04
    clifford
    +2
    U need to just keep your opinions to yourself this all is not a joke. even though this may be to u. Sue Lloyd is right 100%. Dr Besser is a scuzz bal for even questioning Dr. Oz. He is letting us know about things that is potentially bad for our kids and could harm them. Grow up PRATT04
    It is any parents choice to not feed or to feed THEIR kids what they feel is right. Foster homes are not heathly for kids nor is it somwhere a child goes to for having a concerned parent who doesn't feel apples are safe. BEsides she never said anything about not giving her kids apples.
  • pahbradley 2011/09/15 20:58:43
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    pahbradley
    +1
    I think we should be very concerned about juices from other countries and foods because they "DON"T" have the same food standards and how many times have we already been sick from them. He didn't say our children are going to die or be filled from cancer, he said buy smart and look at the labels and by from US where we know the standards are higher. Never accept more in juices that in our Water! What is wrong with that. We know the Government lies to us over and over "Look at 9"11 the AIR is SAFE well People who helped ARE DYING and CAN'T BREATH and WORK so we can't even trust them. So be smart. IF we dont watch for our CHILDREN tell me WHO WILL??? It won't be the companies wanting to make money and the government in the back pockets.
  • Joyce Udell 2011/09/15 20:13:44
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    Joyce Udell
    +2
    I am furious with Dr. Besser for his unethical and unprofessional treatment of Dr. Oz on Good Morning America! The only reason the polls are higher for him is because people are in general afraid of going against Power. Dr. Besser clearly acted the way he did out of jealously and his need to be recognized and held up in high regard with those in power positions. As soon as he heard that the FDA, Juice companies, and other powers that be were upset with Dr. Oz he found a way in to try and discredit Dr. Oz. Well, Dr. Besser I use to respect you, but me, my family, and friends do not anymore. You are a bully and said things that were not true, you kept cutting him off because you knew if you let him talk he would clear up any misunderstanding. Dr. Oz has always stands for the truth and he always inform us and has people on his show that disagree to let them be heard and then tells us to decide for ourselves. The higher ups in all this did not want to respond and therefore Dr OZ shared his thoughts and his findings. he made it clear about orgainc versus not organic. He told us to drink apple juice, but helped us to know which ones has the least amounts. I could go on and on, but am not going to waste anymore time on you! We all deserve an apology for your behavior today and if not...
    I am furious with Dr. Besser for his unethical and unprofessional treatment of Dr. Oz on Good Morning America! The only reason the polls are higher for him is because people are in general afraid of going against Power. Dr. Besser clearly acted the way he did out of jealously and his need to be recognized and held up in high regard with those in power positions. As soon as he heard that the FDA, Juice companies, and other powers that be were upset with Dr. Oz he found a way in to try and discredit Dr. Oz. Well, Dr. Besser I use to respect you, but me, my family, and friends do not anymore. You are a bully and said things that were not true, you kept cutting him off because you knew if you let him talk he would clear up any misunderstanding. Dr. Oz has always stands for the truth and he always inform us and has people on his show that disagree to let them be heard and then tells us to decide for ourselves. The higher ups in all this did not want to respond and therefore Dr OZ shared his thoughts and his findings. he made it clear about orgainc versus not organic. He told us to drink apple juice, but helped us to know which ones has the least amounts. I could go on and on, but am not going to waste anymore time on you! We all deserve an apology for your behavior today and if not received me, my family, and friends will not be watching Good Morning America anymore. Dr. Besser you have self esteem issues and you need to address them before someone else gets hurt. It is a shame that you think you know more than Dr Oz. does, when you were simply making it a point to use this as a way In to give yourself ratings and esteem with the higher ups. Forgive for my anger to all those who may read this that had no control over Dr. Besser. I am usually a very quiet person, but this was truly an outrage!
  • PRATT04 Joyce U... 2011/09/16 22:51:16
    PRATT04
    +3
    So what 's next on your "don't use" list, toilet paper? You ignorant alarmists need to be lobotomized!
  • PRATT04 Joyce U... 2011/09/16 22:53:08
    PRATT04
    +1
    Joyce.....of all people, you seem quite bored and need to get a life......on whatever planet you inhabit!!
  • Mr.Steve 2011/09/15 20:11:54
  • Angela Chambers 2011/09/15 19:47:39
    No, Dr. Besser is right. This is just "fear mongering."
    Angela Chambers
    Nope. Sorry. I drink apple juice all the time. No poison.
  • Cindy 2011/09/15 19:46:12
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    Cindy
    +2
    I fully support Dr. Oz in his trying to get a conversation going. Shame, shame on Dr. Besser who I feel lost all credibility with me. He acted like a school yard bully. Dr Oz was just bringing to light information and studies that are already out there. I think he has an extremely good point. Other countries just do not have the same standards as we do. It makes perfect sense that this could impact our future. What is the point of having food regulations here if we import food that has little to no regulations where it is grown. Dr Oz you are a respected professional, Dr. Besser you need to think before you speak and get into an anger management program.
  • Joyce U... Cindy 2011/09/15 20:19:50
    Joyce Udell
    +3
    Thank you, I agree and posted my thoughts. I wrote Dr. Oz and will be writing to Good Morning America to let them know as well. People are so afraid of the truth and Dr. Oz never said it was deadly. If you look at how many more people suffer from Cancer, Alzheimer's, and Autism to name a few that increased over the past 10 years it shows that what we always knew ( FDA allows a lot of things not good for us in our food and drinks) and over time whether it affects us or our children through blood lines, it does affect us. All the importing from other countries is making it harder and harder. Just look at the all the Salmonella and other things coming up in past years. The truth needs to be told and Dr Oz. does this. he always gives others a chance to talk and then leaves it up to us to decide.
  • Kennedy1st 2011/09/15 19:36:16
    Kennedy1st
    Why no, I don't believe I do.
  • angela 2011/09/15 18:58:45
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    angela
    +3
    I am really dissapointed in the way Dr Oz was attacked. For years I have wondered why we import food from other countries that do not have an FDA or the same EPA regulations and health standards that we have. In the past we have found lead in the paint on our childrens toys, lead in our children's lunch boxes, melamine in baby formula, ect.. I personally applaud Dr Oz. He unlike or own FDA has taken the time and money to check this out. It dosen't take rocket scientist to figure out that children under one drink alot of apple juice. Thier little bodies are alot smaller than that of an adult. Arcenic my not harm and adults body in small quantity. However an infant drinking more that a serving everyday may be effected. Gerber was found to have the highest amounts in thier juice. What if it in also in thier imported fruits? Perhaps this is why we have an alarming autisum rate. In our country we have even removed arcenic from our wood. I have a rotting deck to prove it, yet we allow produce to be shipped in from all over the world. Even from China where there is arcenic in thier pesticide.. THANK YOU DR OZ For caring enough to risk being ridiculed.
  • jfdown 2011/09/15 18:22:57
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    jfdown
    +2
    This is a concern to me and I am sure not the only product to be concerned about. Dr Oz just pointed it out to question the standards. Juice concentrate imported from China who doesn't use FDA regulations means not made in the USA to me. The only way I trust what I eat is to grow it myself. Remember the recent China imported ingredients in dog food scare? Maybe if we stuck to our own countries products we could better regulate things.Unfortunately try to find anything that is 100 % from here.
  • David 2011/09/15 17:28:15
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    David
    +1
    Fear is for the feeble, let the arsenic freely flow, regualtion is not for this republic!
  • Dar 2011/09/15 17:27:12
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    Dar
    +2
    Dr. Besser did not make any good points just a bunch of yelling. The FDA is just trying to protect the big compainess. Are you aware that the FDA is also trying to ban vitamin supplements. They dont work for us they work for the big drug compaines...
  • Sally 2011/09/15 17:24:39
    Sally
    Isn't it in the apple seeds? I've been told not to feed the seeds to my animals for that reason. Instead of coring the apple for juicing, they've probably bought one of those juicers you don't have to cut the item to be juiced, just drop the whole fruit/veggie in. Things are never as simple as they'd like you to believe, there's homework with all subjects.
  • lawlerskates 2011/09/15 17:24:01
    lawlerskates
    I believe it's fear mongering- but I really don't have to worry about this because I usually don't give my child apple juice anyways.....he loves pomegranate!
  • SteveMarine- JLA 2011/09/15 17:22:02
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +1
    I am not sure but I'd like to know the truth.
  • kcandi 2011/09/15 15:43:16 (edited)
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    kcandi
    +1
    This is just my personal opinion, as my children are grown. (But I do have grandchildren). I feel that we don't have a clue as to what goes into the processed foods we feed our children. And, time issues aside, I feel that we need to be feeding our children more healthy, homemade, whole foods that we know are safe for our kids.
  • lawlers... kcandi 2011/09/15 17:21:53
    lawlerskates
    Preach honey! I can agree with everything you are saying! As a mother- I personally want to make sure my son has the best nutrition he can possibly receive. I cook nearly every meal at home- most of those "flavor packets" that you buy in stores- I've found mock recipes for so I'm not feeding him a bunch of preservatives and crap that's probably not good for him. All these things I do out of love for the health of my family :D
  • kcandi lawlers... 2011/09/15 17:24:48
    kcandi
    +1
    Way to go!! Good job mom!!
  • Judex Dirum 2011/09/15 15:41:50
    Judex Dirum
    Arsenic in Elderberry Wine, however, is an entirely different matter.
  • David Seven 2011/09/15 15:38:04
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    David Seven
    +4

In short - Shame on YOU GMA!
  • tbechtx 2011/09/15 15:31:52
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    tbechtx
    I think we cannot be too careful about imported products and the foreign or toxic substances that may be on them. Look at all the stuff from China with lead in the paint or Melamine in milk. We the people of this country have a right to know what is in the products we are consuming! If there is no problem with the increasing levels of arsenic, then why won't the apple juice people talk about it?
  • Rebecca 2011/09/15 15:09:48
    Rebecca
    I seem to remember that there is arsenic that naturally occurs in apple seeds. As long as they don't squeeze the seeds along with the apples...
  • Jaynane 2011/09/15 14:57:48
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    Jaynane
    I don't trust FDA, for their best interest in not with the people, but with the pharmaceutical, chemical, and high volume food industry. And I especially don't trust food products coming from other countries that little to no regulations on the chemicals used to grow and produce food products.
  • Barb 2011/09/15 14:55:54
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    Barb
    +1
    The way this story was presented on GMA was unprofessional. There was no conversation but a display of Dr. Besser's loud over bearing grandiose talk over at Dr. Oz.
  • livehappy23 2011/09/15 14:51:46
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    livehappy23
    +1
    I am appalled at the disrespect and interrupting by this rich person when talking to Dr. Oz. So disgusted by the angry, crass way of interviewing people these days on TV. Unprofessional at the very least. We all have a right to our opinions and Dr. Oz is no exception. He has findings, he shares, we do with them what we will. He does not need to be treated so BADLY......ugh
  • Damien Qualters 2011/09/15 14:12:02
    Damien Qualters
    The Dr. Oz show is just nothing but entertainment, TV Ratings is it's only concern, this show sensationalizes most topics. Dr. Oz would be most valuble if he just stayed in the OR and did the things he was trained to do.
  • Floyd Dickerson 2011/09/15 13:09:55
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    Floyd Dickerson
    +1
    were does this station get its incompetence . Are these in Breeds . They can't hear , It is know wander we as a country are going down hill . When we allow these people to make statements and pay then for it. thank god for another station .
  • intolerantrwj 2011/09/15 12:40:22
    Yes, Dr. Oz raises a real concern.
    intolerantrwj
    ...... can I have a truckload delivered to DC please .... they are the folks monitoring and approving, right ?

2014/04/24 19:58:18