Do people misuse technology?

bob 2013/04/24 04:59:06
Yes(Computer stronger than what sent us to the moon in our pocket; we use it for cat videos.
No (The internet is still used for its original purpose.)
I believe that we misuse technology. Back in the 1960's we used a room full of under powered computer prototypes, but now we have a device 100 times more powerful than all of the computers in that room and we carry it in our pocket, but we use it for cat videos and facebook.

• LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2013/04/24 06:36:23 (edited)
    Yes(Computer stronger than what sent us to the moon in our pocket; we use it ...
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +7
    THE LATEST EXAMPLE of MISUSE TECHNOLOGY: APRIL 15-2013,

The BOSTON MARATHON MASSACRE: 3 DEAD, 200+ INJURED!

• freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2013/04/27 03:40:20
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    Technology is always misused by some. It's the reason most young people are calculator dependent and can't do basic math to make change or spell right without a spell check for example. Anything that makes life easier will be abuse by the lazy types.
  • Tennessee3501 2013/04/25 21:17:51
    Tennessee3501
    portable vibrator

Some people say so! LOL !
  • mikeyavelli 2013/04/25 17:12:14
    mikeyavelli
    no more than a misuse of a car or a chain saw. divert the original purpose and you get hurt. there's always someone that stupid though.
  • MrsJJS 2013/04/25 06:47:27
    MrsJJS
    On a personal level I think the technology is a double edged sword. It is bring us together yet pushing us apart all at the same time. We’ve become so accustom to speaking to one another electronically we sometimes don’t make the time, or feel it’s necessary to physically go and see a loved one or close friend for a cup of coffee and a face to face / heart to heart.

Last year a portion of my cell phone provider’s network went down. Not all but some of their customers were left without service. I was one of them…For about 24hrs (maybe a little more) I had no phone calls, no text messages….nothing. I had to laugh at myself when I realized that the world would not come to an end because I couldn’t receive any calls or texts and I couldn’t make calls or send texts. I suppose it could be described as one of those epiphany moments. And after the initial shock horror and blind panic of “being cut off from the world” subsided, I began to enjoy it. So now I will routinely turn it off. Apparently, or so I’ve been told, that sort of behaviour is “just plain rude!” My reply to that is, if you desperately want to speak to me, come and see me. Needless to say, I don’t get many knocks at my door..lol.

On the information side of things though…for those of us who choose to look p...

On the information side of things though…for those of us who choose to look past our noses, it enables us to find out information about what’s happening in the world around us which we previously probably wouldn’t have heard about on our local TV news or read in our local papers. We get an opportunity to see and read about things, often reported on from two different agendas and find the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I suppose that is why governments all around the world are so eager to control it.
  • John Horse 2013/04/25 00:49:03
    John Horse
    The Government (Local or Federal) WILL ALWAYS misuse any kind of technology if they think they can get an edge on the Citizens.They are scared to death of the Citizen and will do anything and everything to gather information on them weather it is legal or not.
    The Government thinks IT IS ABOVE THE LAW OF THE LAND,and the one that really sticks his nose up on the Law Of The Land is the Serial Violator of the Constitution ovomit.The U.S. Citizens or the Constitution mean NOTHING to him or his Regime,and there are some in the Senate and Congress that are in Goose Step March with ovomit that feel the same way.They are hand in hand and WILL DESTROY This Country if WE THE PEOPLE Don't STOP them now.
  • Tattoo Nana 2013/04/24 23:48:38
    Tattoo Nana
    The internet has evolved as have the types of equipment we use. The internet is a very useful tool and has made many parts of our lives a lot easier. The toys we have today have made it easy to carry our music, movies and keep up with family, friends and our jobs. As with everything, the internet can be mis-used. People are able to work from home, etc.

As with anything, the internet is also abused and/or used for evil. I know that many of the answers to this poll were yes, due to the misuse. I just think that overall, the internet has given us an entire new way to live, and they are more positive than negative. And I know that the recent incidents will show the internet in a negative manner, except we were able to use the group photos and give anyone who would look at them the chance to help find the perpetrators. In fact, I think the internet was a big assist in catching them so quickly.
  • nicesteve 2013/04/24 23:47:59 (edited)
    nicesteve
    As long as there's anything that some "people" can think of to misuse,
    be it technology or otherwise, they'll find a way to misuse the same.
    However, for the honest majority of us, technology is a good and
    valuable thing to have.
  • Doc Freeman BTO-T-TB~pwcmjla~ 2013/04/24 21:12:34
    Doc Freeman BTO-T-TB~pwcmjla~
    It has been used for bullying which resulted in death, it is used to draft people to Islam and kill people, it is used to harass people, purchase just about anything you want or desire, and now since everyone is using it the federal government wants to tax it. I would not mind, but the tax will not go to lower the debt it is for the government to squander any way they see fit.
  • JUSTPLAINFOLKS 2013/04/24 19:43:12
    JUSTPLAINFOLKS
    +1
    On the face of it you would seem to be correct but when one digs deeper they would see that even the trivial uses helps ordinary people for example it gets them familiar with using computers. For twenty years I was a computer operator and considered a specialist but now everybody operates one. People that as little as fifteen years ago were worried that kids could not be pulled away from a TV and were beicoming illterate are now worried that kids text too much or Email too much. Do they not have to compose their thoughts and communicate effectively by writing those things not cosidering their shortcuts like LOL BFF and the like? As technology matures then it naturally becomes trivial. It goes from lighting up a worlds fair at the turn of the twentieth century with electricity to a lavalamp. When this happens we know that we are headed for something new and better.
  • Tattoo ... JUSTPLA... 2013/04/24 23:54:41
    Tattoo Nana
    Even though I grew up in the time when we used rotary phones that were attached to the wall and had a cord, we knew when to be home by the sunlight or hearing a parent yell. Today's kids having cell phones is actually a blessing as we are able to reach them in an instant if there is an emergency or plans change - same for the child being able to contact their parent about a change. The internet and it's associated programs have made it easy to navigate with GPS, check movie ticket availability and many other positive things. There will be those who mis-use and abuse everything.
  • JUSTPLA... Tattoo ... 2013/05/01 19:32:36
    JUSTPLAINFOLKS
    +1
    I hate to admit it but I still have a rotary phone hardwired to the wall. It has an advantage though when the lights go out it stays on. When i went to get it updated years ago I called the phone company to put in a plug in jack outlet and they said they did not do that anymore and I would have to get an electrician. Since I am the laziest person on the face of the earth and it looked like it was becoming a project I passed.
  • Tattoo ... JUSTPLA... 2013/05/01 19:38:31
    Tattoo Nana
    HA HA, I would have passed on that much of a project too!
  • Car1u5~PWCM~JLA 2013/04/24 18:29:03
    Car1u5~PWCM~JLA
    Who are you to say what the inventors of the internet envisioned and not everyone uses it in the way you described.
  • bob Car1u5~... 2013/04/24 21:53:58
    bob
    Not the internet, technology in general we spend more time producing video games when we could be using technology for good developing space programs, building cities from nothing, it's called enterprise something our country once thrived for and once we achieved our gaol we did nothing to improve.
  • Car1u5~... bob 2013/04/24 21:57:23
    Car1u5~PWCM~JLA
    There is plenty of that stuff going on as well not everyone is cut out for that stuff.
  • Earthly Resident 2013/04/24 18:28:30
    Earthly Resident
    of course, its only natural. every tool we use be it computers, language, religion, sharp sticks and hard rocks, everything is misused by someone but its up to the rest of us to use it properly
  • RJeffreySavlov 2013/04/24 16:58:40
    RJeffreySavlov
    Misuse, maybe. Overuse definitely.
  • bob h. 2013/04/24 15:56:21 (edited)
    bob h.
    Of course; internet stores use prison inmates to take orders and collect #CC. So privatized prisons become a growth industry.
  • bettyboop 2013/04/24 15:21:49
    bettyboop
    +1
    Sure, if a person sets out to do harm they will utilize what ever technology is available.
  • Jackie 2013/04/24 15:14:11
    Jackie
    Consistently and most often for crime.
  • Striker 2013/04/24 15:06:31
    Striker
    While I don't care for this smart-ass answer-choice, it's all we have.

People use whatever is available to do whatever they can with the technology. The www has the potential to reach that magical level of total knowledge. It is also used for a broad spectrum of time-wasting trivia, and for creating perhaps equally both good and evil. The question here is always... who decides? Sovereigns or Rulers?
  • Racefish 2013/04/24 14:15:05 (edited)
    Racefish
  • Sean Racefish 2013/04/24 14:25:21
    Sean
    That was adorably bizarre. I hope the cat didn't intend to kill the duck.
  • Racefish Sean 2013/04/25 21:13:22
    Racefish
    +1
    The robot was driving. The cat was an innocent rider.
  • Sean Racefish 2013/04/26 07:30:36
    Sean
    +1
    Yet another innocent victim of a bloodthirsty robot.
  • Racefish Sean 2013/04/30 15:54:13
    Racefish
    +1
    We must guard against zombie vacuum cleaners.
  • Sean Racefish 2013/04/30 19:17:23
    Sean
    Way ahead of you. I just chopped mine to pieces, and had it blessed by a priest.
  • E3 2013/04/24 12:20:32 (edited)
    E3
    +1
    All the time. They use it to bash each other, bash religions, let out their true a**-holery. After having studied the internet and what is on here, even on Sodahead, the kind of comments made, it is plain to see that Freud was right about his assessments of the masses.
  • DANNY59 2013/04/24 11:34:43
    DANNY59
    I think the main thing that's misused is the cell phone. The cellphone use to be used for calling somebody if you had an emergency, or you were going to be late, you know, useful things. The phone designers have turned the phone into a gadget that keeps everybody preoccupied with what they're really supposed to be doing. I've had a cell phone for several years now, and I still haven't used it. I only have it when I'm driving in case my vehicle breaks down, or I get into an accident. I'm sure glad they have pay as you go plans, otherwise I wouldn't have one at all.
  • Brian Decker 2013/04/24 10:50:12
    Brian Decker
    Just because the Internet is also used for frivilous purposes does not mean it does not still have outrageous benefits! It can be used for research, communication, and various other activities. Plus I dont find this site to be a waste of our technology and yet most of you who are on it seem to think it is....
  • Rebel geek. 2013/04/24 10:21:57
    Rebel geek.
    People most misuse it at school when the teacher has his/her back turned.
  • Azazyel's Dragon 2013/04/24 09:25:12
    Azazyel's Dragon
    +1
    God, how I love those cat videos...
  • Alexander 2013/04/24 09:24:54
    Alexander
    +1
    Most people use it properly but some people misuse it for things like theft or attempting to seduce minors.
  • Alexander T Steward 2013/04/24 08:21:33
  • JamesChevyII 2013/04/24 08:11:10
    JamesChevyII
    +1
    OMG, many things are taken for granted now days... Technology is just one of them...
  • CKarliner 2013/04/24 06:55:23
    CKarliner
    +1
    Well I use it for work and play with movies and this and news and that.
    Auto Cad and some other closed net programs but it's an entertainment center also.
  • Aleksandr 2013/04/24 06:48:39
    Aleksandr
    +1
    I use it for gaming/simulations.
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    +7

• bob h. LADY LI... 2013/04/24 15:53:16
    bob h.
    More people were killed in my neighborhood that day. W/O computers.
  • moonglum 2013/04/24 06:18:08
    moonglum
    +1
    yes they do.

2014/07/26 15:21:51