Did Climate Change Kill the Vikings?

foxhound BN0 2011/06/01 01:11:54

OSLO (Reuters) – A cold snap in Greenland in the 12th century may
help explain why Viking settlers vanished from the island, scientists
said on Monday.

A report, reconstructing temperatures by examining lake sediment cores
in west Greenland dating back 5,600 years, also indicated that earlier,
pre-historic settlers also had to contend with vicious swings in
climate on icy Greenland.

"There is a definite cooling trend in the region right before the Norse
disappear," said William D'Andrea of Brown University, the lead author
of the study in the U.S. journal Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences.

Scientists have previously suspected that a cooling toward a "Little Ice
Age" from the 1400s gradually shortened growing seasons and added to
sea ice that hampered sailing links with Iceland or the Nordic nations.
See full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110530/sc_nm/us_climate_greenland

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110530/sc_nm/us_clima...

• tea for you 2011/06/10 11:16:59
    tea for you
    +2
    Vikings weren't killed off , they evolved,
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2011/06/10 10:05:28 (edited)
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +2
    Fox, I am not sure about Greenland. But, those living in Scandinavia are the true descendants of the Vikings. I have 2 Norwegian sides traced way back to the the 12th century. The Telemark genealogy book includes allot of stories and history on famines, economy, etc... Several times weather is mentioned in the book and it always concerned about, how cold the winters were and the consequences of the cold, famines, etc....
  • ur XLNC-PWCM 2011/06/06 21:10:10
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    +2
    The climate changing was integral to the demise of the colony. What was more important, though was the lack of information regarding conditions. They showed up during nice weather and ASSUMED that conditions in Greenland were like those in their former home. They found out that they were mistaken. It would have been wise to check on conditions at various times of the year, to see if conditions were the same as home or different.
  • MsStretch 2011/06/04 23:08:31
    MsStretch
    +2
    May not have literally killed off the whole race, my great grandfather told me "our people were Vikings." Do I believe that, of course...I believed everything that man told me.
    They had ships so they would have been able to relocate. Hope some survived and Great Grandpa Tom, who was my best friend, told me the truth.
  • jgh57 2011/06/02 15:45:41
    jgh57
    +2
    It probably had a lot to do with it.
  • Will Advocate of PHAET 2011/06/02 15:29:56
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +4
    I think they just moved to MN and WI.
  • Annie~P... Will Ad... 2011/06/10 10:06:34
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +2
    Exactly Kimmel, Iowa too.
  • Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/06/02 15:23:04 (edited)
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    The "cold snap" that wiped-out the Greenland Coastal Viking settlements was caused by a Global temperature decline,called "The Little Ice Age". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

These Viking settlements were surviving by a combination of raising grazing animals,like sheep & goats and fishing in the Atlantic Ocean.As the temperatures plunged,the pastures died off & the fish populations moved further south.The Greenland Viking settlements were forced to move elsewhere.The remaining settlers ended-up dying of the cold & starvation.

viking settlements forced remaining settlers ended-up dieing cold starvation The Little Ice Age

• K-ZOOMI-----0 2011/06/02 14:40:21
    K-ZOOMI-----0
    +4
    I'll wait till Al Gore comes out with the movie on this. I believe Michael Moore will direct!
  • Tea in the Harbor 2011/06/01 22:28:32
  • foxhoun... Tea in ... 2011/06/02 02:34:07
    foxhound BN0
    +4
    Thanks! LOL Interesting comments!
  • Annie~P... Tea in ... 2011/06/10 10:08:12
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +1
    Where did you find that information? Its interesting Tea.
  • Tea in ... Annie~P... 2011/06/10 10:29:52
    Tea in the Harbor
    +2
    I don't remember where all of it came from, other than my search about our family's past. I do remember much of what I learned came from a book called "The Vikings," it had a red cover and was six or seven hundred pages but I can't remember the author's name. I believe it was from a university press.

Another thing I found interesting was that the Swedes were called the "Rus" back then, and their social organizational skills were imported to the barbarian regions to their south and east, giving birth to a country called Russia.
  • Annie~P... Tea in ... 2011/06/10 11:03:18
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +2
    I remember just a tad of Russian history where Scandinavians made their way to that area.... Thats where many of the Russians get their Scandinavian features, too. Where are your people from?
  • Annie~P... Annie~P... 2011/06/10 11:04:25
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +2
    Norwegian?
  • Tea in ... Annie~P... 2011/06/10 21:20:08
    Tea in the Harbor
    +1
    Yup, Bergen to be exact. My grandfather came over in 1917 by himself at the age of eight. He worked for the family that "sponsored" him, until he could get out and wound up with a pretty nice farm. He lived into his nineties so I got to know him for quite a few years.
  • Annie~P... Tea in ... 2011/06/11 09:07:29
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +1
    Are you in Wisconsin Tea? Are you a member of Sons Of Norway? Have you been over there?.... My Dad's mom's side was from around Stavanger. Another grandparent came from Tinn, Telemark and a third set of Grandparents immigrated from Gran, Hadeland which is over by Oslo. They all came over in the 1800s. Norwegians were big on encouraging and sponsoring others from Norway.
  • Tea in ... Annie~P... 2011/06/11 17:51:57
    Tea in the Harbor
    Yes, I'm in Wisconsin. Don't belong to the Sons of Norway and have never made the trip but I'd like to some day. I'd like to retire to live on a boat and spend a few years in Europe because I've not been out of the US much in my life. I'd like to sail into the same harbor Grandpa left 100 years later, which is only 6 years away. It amazes me what that generation saw in their lives, Grandpa plowed fields with horses and my baby sister worked on the package that fixed the Hubble Space Telescope! That's a lot of progress for such a short time, the changes we're seeing are probably just as major, but they're less visible so we don't notice them as much.

Have you been to Norway?

The other side of my family is English/Irish (with small bits of nearly everything else) and my sister has traced them back to the 1100's so there are some things I'd like to see there too. Two of them came on the Mayflower so they've been here just a bit longer than the Norwegian side, lol! That side of the family has been in every war we've ever had and two of their signatures are on our Declaration of Independence according to sis. Some of those white guys dressed like Indians at Boston harbor may have been my relatives! Family lore says they were, but I'm not aware of any proof.

Are you familiar with ...

Have you been to Norway?

Are you familiar with Norwegian proverbs? There is one that translates roughly "It's good enough." meaning that one should enjoy what they have and not become a slave to what they want. I read it once long ago and haven't been able to find it again, but I'd like it to be the name of my boat.
  • Annie~P... Tea in ... 2011/06/11 20:04:06 (edited)
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +1
    What part of WI did your Norwegians settle in? If you get a chance Sons of Norway is an excellent group. They also have trips to Norway going on all the time. Haven't been to Norway but planning to someday. Every other year relatives from Telemark use to come here and likewise the following year relatives here would go to Norway to visit. Mom did that trip about 5 years ago. So many have died that tradition seems to have died.... Hey, I will put on a 'new yet old' AV picture. Its of Snowshoe Thompson who immigrated from Norway. Long story but he is famous for being the first long distance cross country skier mail carrier in the west Sierra. He was youngest brother to my ggg Grandfather who came from Tinn, Telemark.... Mt. Horeb, Blanchardville, Argyle, WI are 3 places our Norwegians settled at. Dad's side is more north around Canton and Rice Lake.

I am not familiar with the Norwegian proverbs. Will see what I can find on Norwegian proverbs. Nice name for a boat.

Wow, the Mayflower, thats neat! I married an Irish guy, thats as close to Irish as I get! Down around Darlington, WI, where mom's English side is from, there is a large population of Irish. One of my best friends there is an O'Brien. Matter fact I do our genealogies and I found that some of her ancestors were on the same boat my ancestors from England were on.

Technology has boomed in the last 100 years. Our pioneers would be amazed!!
  • Tea in ... Annie~P... 2011/06/11 21:08:12
    Tea in the Harbor
    The world is a very small place isn't it? I used to go to Yellowstone Lake camping and fishing all the time. Beautiful place, my son and grandkids live in Monroe, not too far from Argyle, which is where my ex and I lived for about a year.. I'm just a bit east of Madison.

My relatives settled in Irma, just north of Tomahawk. The original family homestead is now the Lincoln Hills School for boys, there was a bog behind the barn with quicksand my Great Uncles John and Morris lost two draft horses in, hope they keep the kids away from that!

Now I want my Aunt Lena's cake and cookies, and Leftsa! She used a woodstove and the smell of that house is one of my favorite childhood memories! They can keep the Lutifisk though, that was a dumb thing to do with perfectly good fish! LOL!
  • Annie~P... Tea in ... 2011/06/11 21:36:41 (edited)
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    It is a small world, Norwegians almost always settled together in specific areas.... Yellow Stone Lutheran Church cemetery is where most of my mother's maternal Norwegian ancestors are buried. We always hit Yellow Stone Lake for ice cream.

Quicksand, has that always been there?... Leftsa is still a huge tradition. And my uncles still like that Lutifisk... I do not come close to comparing to my pioneer Norwegian Grandma. You Aunt's name was Lena? Doesn't get much more Norwegian than that. Love the Ole and Lena jokes too.

My aunt and uncle are celebrating their 50th this coming weekend. Have been thinking about attending but doubt I will, am trying to get ready for my son's wedding. The anniversary party is gonna be at that golf course in Argyle.

All my Norwegian people that I know of are democrat! Matter fact, think all my Wisconsin people are liberal. They wonder what happened to us --- me, my 3 siblings and mom!
  • CHUCK 2011/06/01 21:17:59
    CHUCK
    +5
    WILL GLOBING WARMING KILL ME??

Photobucket
  • Son_Of_... CHUCK 2011/06/02 14:41:28
  • Annie~P... CHUCK 2011/06/11 09:08:46
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +1
    Soooo darlin' Chuck. I just wanta give that little animal a big hug!
  • Mog of War 2011/06/01 17:19:01
    Mog of War
    +2
    They didn't die out completely in Greenland, those who mingled with the natives survived, but by the time contact was re-established, they were indistinguishable from the natives. 500 years of interbreeding with a population that outnumbers yours massively would tend to do that.
  • foxhoun... Mog of War 2011/06/01 18:54:25
    foxhound BN0
    +2
    Maybe they moved to Scotland.
    moved scotland scottish man
  • Mog of War foxhoun... 2011/06/01 19:05:13 (edited)
    Mog of War
    +2
    Feh, not without boats. Greenland got into the precarious situation whereby they lacked boats to get off the island. The only way to survive was to go native.

Although, it is noteworthy to point out that the Vikings had quite a bit of influence, not on the Scots, but on the Irish.
  • Annie~P... foxhoun... 2011/06/11 09:09:57
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    Possible Fox as right across from northern Scotland, Northumberland and Yorkshire is Scandinavia!
  • SimpleAmerican BN-0 2011/06/01 16:50:04
    SimpleAmerican BN-0
    +4
    They migrated to Minnesota... The Randy Moss trade, keeping Mike Tice as head coach, not punting on Culpepper and getting a better QB when they had a championship team killed the Vikings!
  • Anton de Bergerac BN 2 2011/06/01 14:10:10
    Anton de Bergerac BN 2
    +3
    It did drive them from Greenland but Greenland was never an important or populous colony.
  • Matt 2011/06/01 13:35:50
    Matt
    +3
    I'm sure that mini ice ages wiped out clans and possibly small villages. Iceland's climate can be cruel under normal conditions. A couple of bad growing seasons coupled with the inability to travel would certainly lead to great hardship.
  • Ramon 2011/06/01 08:09:49 (edited)
    Ramon
    +6
    It's this guy's fault...

guy
  • foxhoun... Ramon 2011/06/01 18:50:03
    foxhound BN0
    +3
    It's true. He hates Vikings.
  • Ramon foxhoun... 2011/06/02 06:55:17
    Ramon
    +3
    But he does like pirates.

pirates
  • SimonYoungRoth 2011/06/01 07:05:21
    SimonYoungRoth
    +2
    nah... now they run all over the world...
  • Little Tina 2011/06/01 04:17:56
    Little Tina
    +4
    Yea, sure. It was climate change, why not. The environmentalist wackos are blaming everything on it so why not. Oh darn, there were no cars and a lot fewer people then. Hmmmm, maybe the environmentalist are wrong???
    environmentalist wackos blaming darn cars people hmmmm environmentalist wrong Environmentalist wacko
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/06/01 03:25:46 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +12
    viking smiley gif Dude the Vikings are still here they are called Swedish , Finnish Danish etc now they didnt Die out

dude vikings swedish people die viking smiley gif dude vikings swedish people die viking smiley gif dude vikings swedish people die viking smiley gif dude vikings swedish people die viking smiley gif
  • foxhoun... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/06/01 18:50:42
  • ur XLNC... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/06/06 21:12:31
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    +1
    The first colony DID disappear. I have a textbook that my English teacher used for her class that gives details and I had to do a paper on this very subject and I got a decent grade on it.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... ur XLNC... 2011/06/06 21:19:41
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    Vikings were nomads they traveled alot

2014/07/24 14:42:34