Christianity is mocked often.

hannah 2011/07/30 21:48:30
I agree. It's not right to mock.
No, that's not true.
Yeah right. Well dont give people a reason to then.
Okay, so here's the issue I think should be voiced here. I'm sure you all know that there are people out there who mock many if not all religions. In fact, EVERY well-known/sort of well-known religion had seen their days of being mocked, and pretty harshly.
But one thing I've also noticed is that, out of all those other religions, it is Christianity that i find is more often mocked and made fun of. And not only is it mocked, but it is also mocked HARSHLY and often dissed and insulted. Now, I'm not trying to force anyone to become Christian (as it is wrong to do so, although many Christians attempt to), but I AM voicing the fact that I am tired of people mocking/dissing Christianity. It's offensive and downright rude toward us Christians out there. I mean you don't see US mocking YOU (well some Christians might, but then they are just being ridiculous and childish, and in mocking others they are going against their own commandments of their religion anyway), so don't mock what we believe in.
I know it's not a DIRECT insult to individual Christian believers, but it is an insult nonetheless, even though it may be indirect.
No religion (or lack of religion in the case of Atheists) should be mocked/dissed, even if its beliefs may contrast with another. It's not right, and it's hurtful toward others, but especially Christianity since it is I find more often mocked/dissed. Don't dis something you don't know anything about. And you don't know it unless you're part of it.

• LadyOfTheFlies 2011/08/10 06:11:29 (edited)
    No, that's not true.
    LadyOfTheFlies
    All are mocked, but Christianity is the dominate religion. A lot of times the majority feels it has a special privileged among the rest of society, leading minority groups to feel alienated. And to be honest, how many times do you hear anti-christian rants on the news? Atheist hear it all the time.

However, I'm sorry you feel mocked. Most atheists only care to criticize the religion, not the people.

• hannah LadyOfT... 2011/08/10 20:01:38
    hannah
    okay. well thanks for commenting. :P
  • AlanMooreJr 2011/08/01 08:37:40
    AlanMooreJr
    yes it is but more over i think Jews get the worst
  • hannah AlanMoo... 2011/08/01 19:58:49
    hannah
    ya thats true too. i mean why do people have to be such hard@ssed mockers toward others and religions they know NADA about? thats what i wanna know.
  • AlanMoo... hannah 2011/08/02 08:13:43
    AlanMooreJr
    beats me bro
  • I NEED A HORSE 2011/07/31 21:59:53 (edited)
  • PEEPL 2011/07/31 08:09:17
    No, that's not true.
    PEEPL
    You know who mocks Christians,.. Other Christians. Here is a crazy but funny prayer at a nascar event. Tons of hatred came out "From the Christians", only the Christians. What Atheists do most of all is intellectually challenge. I've been called someone who makes fun when I honestly point out "facts" and every time it has been a holy Christian lie. What Christians do is hatefully torment others. Ask any psychologist in any large city if there is one single day that they don't get a person in for therapy because of abuse that has been done in the name of Christianity and they will say,. not one day.
  • hannah PEEPL 2011/07/31 23:42:09
  • PEEPL hannah 2011/08/01 07:28:44
    PEEPL
    This will probably be my last response. Not that there has been any big disagreement. It just takes a while to answer these things and I have a fairly full schedule. I've seen various Atheists who have used cuss words and I suppose they do here as well. I don't really remember but I suppose some do. I choose not to but that is simply a personal choice. At least not publicly. But when I used to be a Christian one minister would even use so obscenities (a different version of what you said above) while he was behind the pulpit. And yes I was quite shocked.There are some things that people do when they make personal choices,. or else they don't. Many feel that all Atheists believe in the Big Bang theory as an absolute,. though many Atheists do not. And many think that no Christians believe in evolution, though that's hardly true. I drink myself,. for health reasons only by myself in controlled amounts and alone, then I stop. Other atheists would rather say thousands of cuss words than to take a sip of alcohol. There are many personal choices to be made. But whatever choices are made an Atheist is always an Atheist,. just as long as they don't believe in a supernatural creator or force that is a creator. But Christians when they disagree then the other sects or beliefs are misguided or not the true belief, or whatever. Complicated isn't it ?? Farewell and have a great week.. :)
  • hannah PEEPL 2011/08/01 20:00:38
    hannah
    ya you too i guess... (sorry it was a lot to wrap my head around all at once. lolz
  • moonsong 2011/07/30 22:30:54
    moonsong
    i am sick of people mocking someone else , weather it is religion, race, weight or other things. I am sick of some people calling pagans the work of the devil,
  • hannah moonsong 2011/07/30 22:36:26
    hannah
    yeah. mocking is wrong. i mean even if ideas contradict between two religions (i prefer to call it a way of life though cause religion sounds so lame. :P ) let them contradict. but mocking is harsh, hurtful, and possibly even scarring. and if you go on youtube you can find some SERIOUSLY HARSH mockery! its like TERRIBLE how some people talk! its like jeeeezzz how could they even say such things, you know?
  • AlanMoo... hannah 2011/08/01 08:41:48
    AlanMooreJr
    well I think they put it on YouTube cause they cant be man enough to say it to some ones face
  • hannah AlanMoo... 2011/08/01 20:02:11
    hannah
    ya i know right? i mean whats up with that? they act like theyre all tough and all-knowing but i guarantee they would be afraid to say it to your face. or at least they would word it differently.
  • AlanMoo... hannah 2011/08/02 08:17:45
    AlanMooreJr
    yup , on the rare times I insult some one I make a point to say it like it is to their face cause I expect them to do the same but ahhh it never happens so ya I am a no drama type of person if I hate some one I say it to them like it is
  • AlanMoo... moonsong 2011/08/01 08:40:27
    AlanMooreJr
    i don't mind people mocking me however if they want to mock me do it to my face in stead of behind my back, if every one could do that I damn near guarantee mocking would really cut down , but i hear ya
  • hannah AlanMoo... 2011/08/01 20:04:55
    hannah
    ya i know what youre saying. and thats good that you dont let it bother you. but as a Christian (for example) id say its still offensive when they say that stuff. not that i really believe .2% of a CRAP (which is less than 1% cause theres a lil point there. :P) what they have to say if theyre gonna talk like that. but ya. :P
  • AlanMoo... hannah 2011/08/02 08:20:02
    AlanMooreJr
    I always say if you let things bother you you wont get a head in life and for me it has turned out to be true, it is better to not be bothered than letting every other thing bother you and distract you from living life however you want to live it
  • hannah AlanMoo... 2011/08/02 20:05:27
    hannah
    ya thats true. cause allowing stuff to bother you causes confusion and then you cant think straight cause youre so pissed off and all thats on your mind is the "he said, she said" stuff. and thats never fun. :P
  • AlanMoo... hannah 2011/08/03 07:16:11
    AlanMooreJr
    exactly
  • hannah AlanMoo... 2011/08/04 03:24:42
    hannah
    :P
  • Shawna 2011/07/30 22:00:55
    Shawna
    +1
    I think the reason Christianity is mocked more as it is the dominant religion of our culture. Those mocking (and I am sometimes one) do so because they dislike religion and would like it to go away. I respect you as a person but I don't respect religion and I think it is frequently the cause of harm. I think it inhibits progress and is used for power and corruption. Personal faith is different. We all have beliefs about the nature of the universe and in general those beliefs should be kept to ourselves. I would hate to live in a theocracy but it seems that people who are convinced their own religion is the one true religion would actually be just fine with a theocracy. It would, after all, force on everyone the beliefs they already have.
    I don't want to force anyone to share my beliefs and I have friends who have a variety of beliefs, but as soon as one set of beliefs is considered right and makes it's way into the governing of a country, the making of laws and the punishing of disbelievers that is a scary thing. I have heard Christians argue that atheists already have it their way. I would respond that non-belief is the default. We should be promoting what we learn about the world through science and any other beliefs based on faith or holy books are optional for p...
    I don't want to force anyone to share my beliefs and I have friends who have a variety of beliefs, but as soon as one set of beliefs is considered right and makes it's way into the governing of a country, the making of laws and the punishing of disbelievers that is a scary thing. I have heard Christians argue that atheists already have it their way. I would respond that non-belief is the default. We should be promoting what we learn about the world through science and any other beliefs based on faith or holy books are optional for private acceptance. There are some Christians who have argued with me at length that their beliefs should get at least equal time in the schools. I would say if that is the case then so should all other beliefs. That will certainly crowd the curriculum. Teach your beliefs at home.
    Once those same Christians begin to argue that the country is founded on Christian principals and is in fact a Christian country they have entered that danger zone where I consider them a threat to democracy and I most certainly will mock them and their beliefs.
  • hannah Shawna 2011/07/30 22:24:47 (edited)
    hannah
    +1
    it is not the RELIGION that causes the problem but rather the PEOPLE. trust me as a Christian i KNOW there are a lot of corrupt Christians out there (who i call the Persecutors cause they constantly verbally persecute other Christians who dont do what they want them to). But mocking is wrong and hurtful. i dont think there's really a good reason to mock Christianity. people need a better way of making their point (like say why they dont agree with Christianity rather than bash it). And true Christianity is not how the normal church-going Christians make it seem. Real Christianity is based on love rather than greed and competition, which is why i dont go to church. yes i agree that alot of Christians make Christianity into a laughing stock. But TRUE Christians (which there are not many out there, trust me.) aren't wrapped up in greed, competition, and selfishness.
    Well anyway my point is mocking the religion (well i prefer to call it a way of life) is wrong, even though the Christians who are at fault for making Christianity into a laughing stock will be accoutable for their side, is wrong. Let God (or karma or whatever you believe in) deal with them, but please don't dis the religion cause it is hurtful, just as Christians shouldn't dis you and/or what you believe in either. ...
    Well anyway my point is mocking the religion (well i prefer to call it a way of life) is wrong, even though the Christians who are at fault for making Christianity into a laughing stock will be accoutable for their side, is wrong. Let God (or karma or whatever you believe in) deal with them, but please don't dis the religion cause it is hurtful, just as Christians shouldn't dis you and/or what you believe in either. besides if they are being a certain way or they are making fun of you, dont repay them with the same treatment. two wrongs dont make a right. and remember its the PEOPLE that screw things up. not the religion. :)
  • Shawna hannah 2011/07/31 01:18:57
    Shawna
    I understand what you are saying about mocking and in practice I treat people with kindness as I follow that simple rule of treating others the way I would like to be treated. I cannot, however enter into any discussion about why I disagree with Christianity or any religion without insulting a believer. In my opinion there is no basis for any belief, one has to be credulous, stupid or gullible to believe and any time I point out where the bible or dogma is fallible I am going to insult the believer. I have also had believers tell me I am the stupid one, blind and arrogant. It doesn't actually hurt my feelings since I think they are wrong. If you aren't tough enough to withstand the criticism your faith cannot be very strong.
  • hannah Shawna 2011/07/31 01:44:21
    hannah
    true. well what i mean by hurt is not like they'll go home and cry. just that they'll be offended is all. no one should mock, insult, and/or dis anyone no matter how old or young or "important" or "unimportant" they are (meaning high vs. low in rank on social status).
  • Shawna hannah 2011/07/31 01:48:34
    Shawna
    Well I guess we have some agreement but not complete agreement. I think the pie chart posted by The Sane One is hilarious. Do you call that mocking? And as I said above, I am sure that I will say things that offend believers. I am not going to tiptoe around them if their belief encroaches. Keep it at home or I will have something to say about it.
  • The Sane One 2011/07/30 21:59:16
    The Sane One
  • hannah The San... 2011/07/30 22:00:52
    hannah
    well thats what it feels like. of course i wouldnt say oppressed, unless the Christians let the hurtful words get to them, but i would say that there is a big dis on the Christians goin around for some reason.
  • The San... hannah 2011/07/30 22:04:42
    The Sane One
    +3
    Christians also do a lot of mocking and disrespecting those of other religions, especially ones that aren't monotheistic.
  • hannah The San... 2011/07/30 22:28:52
    hannah
    yeah i know. but they arent TRUE Christians. they're just what i call Persecutors and they THINK they're following God, but they're wrong. but even though those false Christian mockers mock you and/or what you believe in, dont repay them with the same treatment, cause two wrongs dont make a right. and besides if you dont mock back to them then you'll be the better person. :)
  • The San... hannah 2011/07/30 23:13:25
    The Sane One
    +2
    Yes and no... because in some of the sects, they have to evangelize ... and in order to promote their version, they have to tear down yours.

Remember Dave Barry's famous quote: People who want to share their religious views with you, almost never want you to share yours with them.
  • hannah The San... 2011/07/30 23:58:33
    hannah
    well i have a friend who isnt Christian and believe in some different stuff and she's still my sissy (i call all my close female friends sissy, as in like sister but in cuter sounding way :P ). and i let her tell me what she believes. yes it contrasts with what i believe, but we never get in a heated discussion about it. just in a friendly and interesting convo. thats all. :)
  • Shawna hannah 2011/07/31 01:57:57
    Shawna
    I have friends like that too. But when you start to get involved in politics, when it comes time to vote for people, when you are paying attention to the laws made in your country you realise that there are people who want things to be based on Christianity. They believe that they are different from other theocracies such as Saudi Arabia because they are right. As soon as there is a religious authority for deciding on what is right and wrong and how a country should make its laws you have lost freedom and democracy.
    For example, in a democracy you can chose whether you think abortions should be allowed or shouldn't be allowed and you can argue for your point of view and support politicians who share your point of view. In a theocracy there is no debating the issue because the religion tells you what is right. Of course to the people who follow that religion there is no problem with that. However there are no theocracies I am aware of where women are not oppressed. And even the Christian bible could easily be used to justify such an oppression.
    Mixing religion with politics is dangerous and so religion must be kept down if a democracy is going to survive. In a true democracy there is freedom of religion and freedom from religion. People are free to practice both withou...
    Mixing religion with politics is dangerous and so religion must be kept down if a democracy is going to survive. In a true democracy there is freedom of religion and freedom from religion. People are free to practice both without persecution, but a secular country (one that is not a theocracy) means that a non-religious perspective has to dominate politics and law making. Fear mongering people on the religious right will say that leads to communism and they will cite the former Soviet Union and it's official atheism. Not only is that not an example of true communism, it is not what a democracy with freedom of religion is about. Most atheists I know believe in freedom of religion.
  • hannah Shawna 2011/07/31 02:03:19
    hannah
    i dont agree with politics controlling how we live our daily lives either. besides i couldnt trust most politicians as far as i could throw them. im just tired of people mocking Christianity. no one has a right to mock it or anyone who believes in it, just cause they believe in it. people can believe in whatever they want to believe in. in fact they could even start worshipping candybars if they wanted to. i dont care, cause you cant change one's mind when its already set. BUT mocking and dissing is a whole nother story.
  • Shawna hannah 2011/07/31 02:55:44
    Shawna
    Okay.

2014/10/01 20:07:14