Can You Live on a Food Stamp Budget of $28 a Week?

ABC News U.S. 2012/12/04 13:10:25
Social media-savvy Mayor Cory Booker posted a photo of a crumpled receipt Monday morning to Facebook and Twitter.

The Newark, N.J., mayor wasn’t filing expenses; he was showing supporters what he’ll be eating for the next week as he takes on the food stamp challenge. Starting Tuesday and going until Dec. 12, Booker will eat only what he can buy with $29.78, which is slightly more than the $28 individuals receiving food stamps tend to spend on average.

cory booker

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/12/cory-...

• Rob Clary 2012/12/04 18:51:19
    Rob Clary
    +18
    Yes, of course!
    I'd do just fine off ramen noodles, cooked beans, tomato paste and kool-aid.
    FEAST!
    If the welfare bums can't stretch a dollar, maybe it's time to learn how to wash toilets or whatever. I get tired of people on the dole sniveling over their handout being too small.

• Dustin 2013/01/18 20:24:09
    Dustin
    Yes but not healthy long term and definitely not balanced diet. Eventually you would starve I did this for a while and eventually I would just puke ramen cheap rice meals. And i live in a fairly cheap state in a higher cost of living area it would pretty much just be ramen.
  • Diana455 2013/01/14 21:25:30
    Diana455
    It's $28 per INDIVIDUAL. Per WEEK. My husband and I only spend about $40 per week for BOTH of us . And that includes meat, fish, fresh and canned veggies and fruits, milk eggs, etc. We eat healthy food. Ding Dongs and soda pop are not food.
  • josh parker 2012/12/31 01:58:29
    josh parker
    Families sure to hell cant, but all i need are cheap beer, dip, and condoms.lol
  • Royo 2012/12/16 15:28:59
    Royo
    Might not be healthy but it's manageable.
  • )o( Belle )o( 2012/12/16 10:43:08
    )o( Belle )o(
    Not with 2 children
  • Diana455 )o( Bel... 2013/01/14 21:29:33
    Diana455
    Read it again. It's $28 per person!!! So, assuming you are a single mom, that's $84 per week. If you can't feed yourselves on that, you must be eating caviar and frozen gourmet pizza 24/7. Go to the library and borrow a cookbook.
  • )o( Bel... Diana455 2013/01/18 03:46:02 (edited)
    )o( Belle )o(
    In Australia No you can't live off 80 dollars a week especially with a 6 month old baby and a 21 month old toddler. And yes hunny I own alot of cookbooks so yes I know how to cook
  • Diana455 )o( Bel... 2014/01/01 18:31:35
    Diana455
    Do they have foodstamps in Australia?
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/12/11 18:19:25
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    Not in a healthy way. Sure I could eat Ramen, and crap, but that is hardly nutritious. And people wonder why there is such a weight problem in the US. Healthy food costs quite a bit more, and if you are trying to "stretch a dollar" your not eating healthy.
  • SA 2012/12/11 16:27:20
    SA
    +1
    Beans, rice, potatoes, tortillas in one week can be at least 6 different meals. That can be bought where I live for about 10 dollars. I can feed 3 on this.
  • C-ZAR™,... SA 2012/12/11 16:37:39
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +1
    My grandmother cooked like that, staples that are cheap, fill you up and last awhile, cook a big pot and you can stretch that for a few days
  • SA C-ZAR™,... 2012/12/11 16:40:09
    SA
    +1
    I learned how to feed a small army from the way my Mom did it! LOL
  • C-ZAR™,... SA 2012/12/11 16:43:06
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    Yup, lol
    So did mine
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2012/12/11 13:47:56
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +2
    I have, I guess all of these "No's" don't know how to survive out here, sad, lol
  • SA C-ZAR™,... 2012/12/11 16:31:12
    SA
    +1
    I make a BIG pot of beans, rice and potatoes for my family of 3 and make it into different meals.

If I can make meals for 3 on this budget, there is no excuse not to...lol Of course we'll have beans 3 times a day, but it is possible.
  • kitty 2012/12/11 06:42:15
    kitty
  • Dave 007 2012/12/09 12:56:52
    Dave 007
    It could be done. Just buy the basics and go to the store with the lowest prices. I see way too many people with food stamps buying ice cream, chips, bottle water with them. FOOD STAMPS ARE NOT A PRIVILEGE!
  • Preplovesyou 2012/12/09 05:26:43
    Preplovesyou
    Heck yes. Hopefully I never have to, but it's possible. People can eat off that in a month. Bread, lunch meat, ramen noodles. It's possible.
  • libertybelle 2012/12/08 23:02:19
    libertybelle
    +1
    Yes..I could..but I don't eat 3 meals a day anyway. I know a young guy in his 20's that is lazy and shiftless..rides a bike because he never bothered to get a job in order to buy a car..he gets food stamps..before Obama he received $100/mo. after Obama was elected it went to $200/mo. If I were Queen for a day..he would get nothing. Hunger is a great motivator.
  • Bumblebeedle 2012/12/07 22:38:46
    Bumblebeedle
    Maybe... It really depends on where I'm going that week
  • Tracie Richards~PWCM~JLA 2012/12/07 17:35:21
    Tracie Richards~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Absolutely. But then again, I'm comfortable cooking from scratch and I use coupons like a mad woman.
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2012/12/07 06:13:04
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    Last time I got them was alone $35.00 for a month.
  • amorris72200 2012/12/07 03:14:17
    amorris72200
    I get $140 a week from the hubby to spend on groceries, that includes cleaning supplies, and greeting cards, and other non-food items! It's "JUST" enough to get by sometimes. and I shop around to many local stores!
  • amorris... amorris... 2012/12/07 03:15:55
    amorris72200
    I should add there is me, him, and our two boys, ages 9 and 11!
  • Summer 2012/12/07 00:52:51
    Summer
    +1
    I'm very resourceful
  • Chris 2012/12/06 23:43:35
    Chris
    Maybe. You'd mostly be eating beans, potatoes and ramen noodles. It's certainly possible it could work. They should provide a pamphlet educating people on what to buy so they know how to optimize that budget.
  • SA Chris 2012/12/11 16:44:15
    SA
    Substitute the ramen noodles with rice. It's healthier and not expensive. I can feed 3 on this amount of money and have done it before.
  • cranejumper 2012/12/06 23:25:46
    cranejumper
    liberals should be doing this also
  • Kevin 2012/12/06 21:59:04
    Kevin
    +1
    I don't do the give me something thing, so I don't worry about it. I was raised believing that food for myself and family is my own responsibility!! There's this thing out there called a job and after you work they pay you $. Then how you spend that $ is on you and only you!!!
  • Reshintoe 2012/12/06 21:07:09
    Reshintoe
    +1
    I've said this a few times in replies already but I'm a fairly big guy, I maintain a body weight of around 270lbs and I do this eating only one medium sized meal a day and a high protein snack during the middle of my day. I drink a lot of water through out the day which helps curb the desire to eat and I have lived like this for years, doing this I've never broken a bone, I don't bruise easy, and I rarely get sick and when I do it goes away quickly. all of this is because for the most part I treat my body right I get a moderate amount of exercise I probably don't sleep as much as I should (2 to 3 hours a night), but I'm not sleepy or bedraggled all day. I have a job that requires me to be mental alert and requirement a medium to low level of physical activity.

all that being said, Welfare is not intended for people to live on for an extended period of time nor is it meant to be the soul source of your income, but lets assume for a minute you lost your job and are getting no benefits from that you would have the following that you could apply for.

Cobra (this maintains your health care through your previous employer at the same rate as when employed) or Medicare (some states also offer additional government assisted health care)

so your covered medically fairly well,

unem...

so your covered medically fairly well,

unemployment (which varies depending on several factors much its at least a few hundred a week).

Food stamps (apparently 28 dollars a week but against most states also have supplemental programs and there are several government programs you can apply for and privately funded ones as well)

you can apply for additional funds for several things including

Dependents (children and the spouses)
    Rent (yes you can apply for additional money for rent)
    utilities
    on going medical cost
    Disability

it goes on and on and on, I tired of hearing people piss and moan about a hand out from the government when your lucky they give you anything at all. people need to stop actiing like parasites and contribute to the world of course if you did that then you'd piss and moan about taxes which the government takes so it can support lazy people who don't want to support themselves.
  • zyggie Reshintoe 2012/12/07 08:13:55
    zyggie
    Parasites are those who govern these lands. They sit around "taking choices" on how things should be managed, and a huge amount of cash gets deposited on their accounts. How can you be such an insult to the human race? Minds resembled to yours are the ones that show of not being properly educated in our history, completely satisfied with mediocre living, and exactly the progress of a bad education that those ones "governing" us wanted and NEEDED most of all, to be receiving NOWADAYS, all the amount of cash they do... while EVERYONE else complains. You and all of the ones such way, are the reason why we are still submitted fooled slaves.
  • Reshintoe zyggie 2012/12/13 20:43:56 (edited)
    Reshintoe
    first of all your going off on a whole other tangent to the question presented for debate. Second your turned your argument into a slight against myself and the government neither of which are the issues of debate once again, in addition to turn your own insult on its head you presented no counter points to anything I said so your reply isn't really a reply at all its just an attack which says volumes more about the difference in our intellectual levels; which is not to be construed as an insult more a rebuff to your point of saying I am uneducated, so if you want to insult me and or undermine the statement I made then please by all means I am always open to a debate on the issue at hand, if you wish to discuss a different topic in an adult manner that would either be an intellectual excise or a discussion of solutions or perhaps even just a general discussion on a topic then I'd be more than happy to receive a message from you,

All that being said I do actually agree that the government is full of parasites, but that does not mean I feel that the people who live off of their well fare programs who really are the sort of mindless sheep that keep things as they are because it benefits them.

Now I'll go "uneducated" on you. My life style may be mediocre but I live that way by cho...

Now I'll go "uneducated" on you. My life style may be mediocre but I live that way by choice I have the means to eat large means four or five times a day without issue but I do not require it so I do not do it, I eat what I need and that is the only part of my life that I told you about and that is hardly a bases for saying that its "mediocre" and you know nothing of my political or social contributions, in fact you know nothing about me but you instantly assumed your some how better than me. I will also take this moment to point out that everything you said made you sound exactly like one of those "government parasites" you seem to loath so much, so maybe you should do a little introspection before you try to insult me or them again.
  • [insert witty moniker here] 2012/12/06 20:55:16
    [insert witty moniker here]
    I can't even live on a toilet paper budget of $28 a week.
  • SA [insert... 2012/12/11 16:45:46
    SA
    I can feed 3 on this budget and have done it in the past.
  • piscespoet [insert... 2013/01/09 23:00:22
    piscespoet
    +1
    You are definitely eating the wrong things if you need that much toilet paper each week.
  • catlinyantha 2012/12/06 20:06:39
    catlinyantha
    what about rent ?
  • Reshintoe catliny... 2012/12/06 20:34:49
    Reshintoe
    Food stamps and housing are separate, some people don't apply for both but generally if you get one you get the other. Medical, phone and Internet are also seperate (yes there is welfare internet). you can look up section 8 housing if your curious.
  • zyggie Reshintoe 2012/12/07 08:18:53
    zyggie
    Not everyone that applies, receives the help solicited. Still, if all the unemployed people did, the government would still deny help to a big amount, for they limit such help, still being unemployed people who would need so. It's never enough for us, but more than enough for them who get paid incredible amounts for making choices.
  • Reshintoe zyggie 2012/12/13 20:47:03 (edited)
    Reshintoe
    See my reply to your attack on my post for details, but again your making this about something its not supposed to be about.
  • Unicorns vs Narwhals 2012/12/06 20:00:06
    Unicorns vs Narwhals
    That wouldn't be too hard.

2014/10/25 00:10:03