Bootleg Alcohol Kills Seven: Have you ever drunk "moonshine"?

JMCC 2012/09/11 20:31:08
Yes I have tried it and...
No I haven't but I would...
No I wouldn't because...
Seven people in the Czech Republic have died after drinking poisonous bootleg alcohol, officials have said.

The spirits were made from industrial chemical methanol and a further 22 people have been hospitalised for alcohol poisoning.

Police have arrested a 36-year-old man in connection with the deaths.

Authorities have started a sweep of restaurants, bars, off-licences and shops across the country, in order to find the source of the drink.

The BBC's correspondent in Prague, Rob Cameron, says those poisoned were taken ill after drinking what they thought was vodka and rum bought in supermarkets and shops.

The company behind the brand thought to be the source of the poisoning has said that their labels were copied and that they are not responsible for the contents of those bottles.

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19561293

• McBaus Le Awesomfase 2012/09/12 15:35:09
    Yes I have tried it and...
    McBaus Le Awesomfase
    +1
    Barely remember the next week.
  • JMCC McBaus ... 2012/09/12 15:49:12
    JMCC
    +1
    LOL - I was buying some French "Eau de Vie" from a neighbour and she gave me a double measure of each of the three different types she had...

When she told me the percentage of ethanol in it I realised that I had consumed the equivalent of 12 measures in less than 10 minutes...

That afternoon went by quite quickly :)
  • lucky 2012/09/12 14:43:15
    Yes I have tried it and...
    lucky
    +1
    No one I know would poison people by mixing it with deadly chemicals or using substandard equipment which is most cases is what causes bad batches.. Nor would they label it using someone else's label. Moonshiners in my area are proud of the quality of their product and hate people who give them a bad reputation by taking shortcuts and adding deadly chemicals to the product. If the government would have let whiskey makers determine their own regulations, whomever made that batch probably would have already had been found and turned over to the police instead of hiding where they may not be found again.

Moonshine is corn whiskey and if distilled properly by a professional is no more harmful than PGA found at your local liquor store.
  • darwolf 2012/09/12 13:53:54
    Yes I have tried it and...
    darwolf
    +1
    Yes i have.
  • Nameless 2012/09/12 13:47:35
    Yes I have tried it and...
    Nameless
    +1
    I was 23 years old and a friend was from WVa. His family came to visit and they had some shine with them. I took one shot, if I recall correctly, and within a few seconds (?) I was flat on my back and couldn't see straight. LOL! While it was fun, I never did it, again. : )
    No I wouldn't because...
    +1
    Just no .. (no desire at all)

Sadly .. there are many who don't care one bit ..
    about how the 'high' is made
    (where it was made, with what ingredients .. just that it be a buzz .. a high to follow at any cost)

Doesn't surprise me that this was made in this manner
    (with industrial methanol)
  • MyDaydream90 2012/09/12 05:39:04
    Yes I have tried it and...
    MyDaydream90
    +3
    It knocked me on my ass. That's probably the most drunk I've ever been. My friend's dad made it sometimes and I had a cousin who used to make it, but not anymore.
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/09/12 04:45:23 (edited)
    Yes I have tried it and...
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +3
    It will make you grow hair on your chest!

Also...what a shame this happened.
  • marty 2012/09/12 04:44:18
    Yes I have tried it and...
    marty
    +2
    I'm not all that impressed. If you want something to get your drunk really fast, burn your throat, stomach, intestines, and liver, and couldn't give a hoot about flavor, then white lightning is for you. If you're gonna go through the trouble of making it, dilute it with gasoline and put it in your car instead. Go make beer or wine or even take the time to put the shine in some charred oak barrels or something, but for God's sake, give it some flavor!
  • "OG" 2012/09/12 04:36:18
    Yes I have tried it and...
    "OG"
    +3
    It came out of the hills of Tennesse. Moonshine burns all the way down.
  • Unicorns vs Narwhals 2012/09/12 04:36:10
    No I haven't but I would...
    Unicorns vs Narwhals
    +2
    I would only do it because my family used to make moonshine. I would make sure I made it right and legal though.
  • N. Zane 2012/09/12 04:31:47
    Yes I have tried it and...
    N. Zane
    +4
    Tasted like gasoline cut with rubbing alcohol. so we soaked berries and grapes in it, not too bad and gets you drunk QUICK
  • 3414503 2012/09/12 04:16:32
  • lonewolf 2012/09/11 22:27:31
    Yes I have tried it and...
    lonewolf
    +3
    got an uncle that makes it.
  • Georgia50 2012/09/11 22:01:24
    No I wouldn't because...
    Georgia50
    +3
    It's not worth it. Sure government over-taxes it, but unregulated booze is not the answer.
  • Robin 2012/09/11 21:40:38
    No I wouldn't because...
    Robin
    +3
    I don't drink. I think that hard spirits are made so regulated by the gov't to help prevent 'bath tub' concoctions from hitting the market. But, people can also drink themselves to death. If they are so drunk they pass out, and there is sitll alochol in their bellies, that will continue to be absorbed by the body making the person drunker and drunker, or supressing their brain function more and more, until the point of death.
  • Nick Name 2012/09/11 20:57:17
    Yes I have tried it and...
    Nick Name
    +2
    Just once. And it was 'homemade' Sake. Smoother than water until it hit at about the esophagus, then a bit of a fire quality.
    Not that bad at all.
  • JMCC Nick Name 2012/09/11 21:04:50
    JMCC
    +4
    The thing about this sort of drink is that by the second measure, you can't feel anything and you no longer care if you do...!
  • mich52 2012/09/11 20:49:19
  • RoyDMercer - IFOTFD 2012/09/11 20:47:48
    Yes I have tried it and...
    RoyDMercer - IFOTFD
    +5
    had it many times here in the South, but I've known the maker of it for a long time, so he is trusted.
  • Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2012/09/11 20:45:34
    Yes I have tried it and...
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +5
    It kicked my tail.......!!
  • AM 2012/09/11 20:43:12
  • JMCC 2012/09/11 20:32:08
    Yes I have tried it and...
    JMCC
    +5
    It was 90% ethanol and nearly took my head clean off.

2014/09/20 16:05:25