At What Class Level Should Laptops Be Allowed in Schools?

Is it just us or did summer swing by faster than usual this time around? With August just around the corner, "Back to School" is the thing on everyone's mind. Well, if you're a student, parent or teacher at least.

It's almost time to swap bathing suits for books. And while you don't have to complete any tests or do any homework quite yet, we think now's the optimal time to get your mind juices flowing with our quick, 8-Question "Back to School" Survey. Don't worry: No matter the answer, we'll give you an "A+" anyway.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/school-sur...

• GoDucks5 2012/07/28 03:57:26 (edited)
    Elementary School
    GoDucks5
    +7
    I have used them in school since elementary. It will also help kids type fast because I took some typing classes and I type 73 wpm. I think if you start learning something at a young age, it's easier then learning it when you are older. They were always only for school use but the only problem is the tax payers are the one paying for them and they have Macs instead of Dells, Macs are more expensive. My school distinct is a good distinct for the most part but they spend too much money. They also have computer labs for school use only so I mainly used the computers in the computer lab instead of the laptops. Oregon is pretty liberal though.

• Arianne GoDucks5 2012/07/30 05:39:33
    Arianne
    +1
    Mine has dell laptops in one of the rooms and PCs in the library. But we have 4 computer rooms full of macs. To be fair we have five different levels with 300+ students in each sooo...
  • LeAnn 2012/07/28 03:43:37
    Elementary School
    LeAnn
    +4
    Our district starts kids on macbooks in kindergarten, and in 4th grade through 12th grade, EVERY kid has their own personal macbook that they are responsible for and take home every night to do homework on and can play on (to an extent...it's pretty filtered). I student taught in a Kindergarten class, and my mentor teacher and I started teaching the kids basic microsoft word/typing skills. Seems beneficial in a technology driven society to start learning early.
  • Seiryuu 2012/07/28 03:28:04
    High School
    Seiryuu
    +2
    I'm assuming that's grades 10-12 in the States. At that point kids have to start writing essays and assignments by that time must be handed in in ink or typed. I prefer computers because you have less clutter to bring around everywhere with you.
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/07/28 03:22:08
    Elementary School
    Christopher Kirchen
    +5
    As soon as a child knows enough to use one.
  • irving ... Christo... 2012/07/31 03:54:31
    irving escamilla
    +1
    No I beg to differ what if the child is to young
  • mae irving ... 2012/07/31 16:41:30
    mae
    Hawaii Public school computer labs start in kindrergarten=5 yrs. old. in I believe that to be true in almost all of the Western States. iPads are being trialed in the lower grades for some but not all subjects--these stay at school, don't go home. These are supplied by private funding and through Apple Corp. benevolent grant money, and Bill and Melinda Gates Funds for Education. The technology is already here, and I find myself scrambling to keep up.
  • irving ... mae 2012/08/12 01:33:01
    irving escamilla
    +1
    I think you went a little of topic to what I was replying there
  • mae irving ... 2012/08/12 02:24:02
    mae
    sorry about that. I'm still trying to orient myself to my laptop. ;-)
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/07/28 03:08:10 (edited)
    High School
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +5
    My oldest daughter wasn't afforded that luxury, but my middle daughter had a laptop this past school year, her freshman year. I don't think they are responsible enough before this age, sometimes not even at this age. If it gets lost or stolen that comes out of my pocket. So best to wait. (also, this laptop was school property that I had to pay a 'fee' for).
  • GoDucks5 MlssCue... 2012/07/28 04:01:34
    GoDucks5
    +3
    My elementary school had them but only for school use. I think that's okay if it wasn't the tax payers having to pay for them. I learned how to type really fast because of it. We have a computer lab too. Oregon is just too liberal.
  • MlssCue... GoDucks5 2012/07/28 04:06:49
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +5
    Now, the student here do have computer lab in elementary. The daughter above that I spoke of, was going to a private school, and it was nothing cheap let me tell you. She was excellent w/her laptop, maybe because I threatened her life should anything happen to it lol
  • Dydy 2012/07/28 02:58:40
    High School
    Dydy
    +4
    With research papers and AP classes we sure as hell need them in HS
  • GLaDOS 2012/07/28 02:46:38
    High School
    GLaDOS
    +4
    At least. At most, college.
  • mae 2012/07/28 02:18:10
    Elementary School
    mae
    +2
    Many elementary schools have them in use already. Even more are switching from textbooks to iPads--or eqivalent.
  • KB 2012/07/28 01:34:12
    Elementary School
    KB
    +3
    Basic testing materials and essays can be given electronically and can save on paper.
  • Pedalpusher 2012/07/28 00:55:11
    Elementary School
    Pedalpusher
    +4
    Well I assumed you were asking about their own personal laptops, as a lot of schools can't afford to provide each student with personal laptop even as government sponsored program. I got my granddaughter and grandson both Netbooks when she was in grade school and he was in middle school. The teachers ion their schools had agreed that kids could bring their own with certain restrictions. It worked out good for them as there was always a wait to use the computers the schools had. Plus they could use them at home for their homework.
  • Chris Carr 2012/07/28 00:04:05
    Elementary School
    Chris Carr
    +3
    Why would you restrict anyone from using the best possible device to research and write papers? Although personally, I think every desk should have a desktop pc, with only programs used for education and research loaded on it.
  • Megan 2012/07/27 23:38:54 (edited)
    Elementary School
    Megan
    +2
    At the people who voted high school: Why? Are kids supposed to not know how to use a laptop until highschool? Do you guys have any idea how educational laptops are? Are kids supposed to spend hours researching on out-dated encyclopedias when they could just use a laptop and be done in minutes, and plus have more current, accurate information?
  • Mel Mar... Megan 2012/07/28 03:24:44
    Mel Martens
    +2
    It's interesting to note that my nieces who all know how to Goggle stuff have has issues finding out how to RESEARCH things for debate programs and understand what an Index is. I am twice their age and know how to research better than they do and all I had for training was "out-dated encyclopaedias"

Sure, it saves on paper but the brain can't learn how to find things when all it's being taught to do is how to press buttons. Kids lately are having more and more issues with basic maths because they are only being taught how to use a scientific calculator. Computers are not the be all end all to every single situation.
  • Commander Pyle 2012/07/27 23:36:12
    Never!
    Commander Pyle
    +2
    At the one where you or your parent can afford it.
  • whateverbabynevermind 2012/07/27 22:50:10
    High School
    whateverbabynevermind
    +2
    Well, we're allowed to take them in when we're younger but it's discouraged. When you're older it's easier to take notes and makes sure you're not lugging around fifty books. We've got pretty safe lockers and most people have them on their persons all the time, so none have been stolen as far as I know.
  • maddy 2012/07/27 22:19:04
    Middle School
    maddy
    +2
    7,8 and high school
  • irving ... maddy 2012/07/31 03:59:16
    irving escamilla
    I agree cuz I mean really what can u do with a laptop in elementry u would berrly ever use it in middle school that's when u should be aloud to get a laptop but i think u should have a choice of a
    Personal or school and a choice between Mac
    And pc
  • ZB 2012/07/27 22:14:21
    College
    ZB
    +1
    There is too much dependence on the computers these days. Kids need to learn how to work without them because there will be times when there isn't one available. They need to learn how to think instead of letting the machine do it for them.
  • Chris Carr ZB 2012/07/28 00:06:14
    Chris Carr
    +2
    Where exactly are you going to be without computers these days? Just wondering.......also, I don't think computers think for anyone. It is only the difference of having more at access versus less.
  • ZB Chris Carr 2012/07/28 03:54:03
    ZB
    +2
    Computers are replacing thinking where math and a few other classes are concerned. it's getting to the point that the kids are relying on the machine to do the work instead of learning how to do it yourself. i won't let my kids use the computer for anything except research where school is concerned.
  • Michelle 2012/07/27 21:35:00
    High School
    Michelle
    +1
    High school is the point where students are (generally) mature enough to handle the responsibility of taking care of a laptop in class. It's where many teachers stop writing their notes on the board and students have an easier time keeping up when they can type. Furthermore, most assignments in high school are expected to be typed.
  • irving ... Michelle 2012/07/31 04:07:34
    irving escamilla
    Well that maybe true. But I think that I should be arround 7th grade so they have time to get use to what they have to do and to give them a chance at showing that they can also be responsible
    And some middle schoollers are more mature then some not all high school students. Also stuff tends to get lost or stolen in high school more
    Often then in middle scho
  • Keegan The Fabulous 2012/07/27 21:29:22
    High School
    Keegan The Fabulous
    +3
    High school and college. Being able to design projects on a computer and do research on the computer is a huge benefit, simply because creating a presentation or paper on the computer is very easy to do, and because you can find lots more information on a subject than a textbook will ever have.

Grade/elementary and junior high/middle, however... NO. The kids are too young to understand the responsibility that comes with having a computer, and their minds too malleable.
  • Scream 2012/07/27 21:28:01
    Middle School
    Scream
    +1
    That's when the government gave us ours. Middle of grade 9

2014/08/22 01:58:23