At What Class Level Should Laptops Be Allowed in Schools?

Is it just us or did summer swing by faster than usual this time around? With August just around the corner, "Back to School" is the thing on everyone's mind. Well, if you're a student, parent or teacher at least.

It's almost time to swap bathing suits for books. And while you don't have to complete any tests or do any homework quite yet, we think now's the optimal time to get your mind juices flowing with our quick, 8-Question "Back to School" Survey. Don't worry: No matter the answer, we'll give you an "A+" anyway.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/school-sur...

• GoDucks5 2012/07/28 03:57:26 (edited)
    Elementary School
    GoDucks5
    +7
    I have used them in school since elementary. It will also help kids type fast because I took some typing classes and I type 73 wpm. I think if you start learning something at a young age, it's easier then learning it when you are older. They were always only for school use but the only problem is the tax payers are the one paying for them and they have Macs instead of Dells, Macs are more expensive. My school distinct is a good distinct for the most part but they spend too much money. They also have computer labs for school use only so I mainly used the computers in the computer lab instead of the laptops. Oregon is pretty liberal though.

• ladyvoldemort 2012/07/30 00:53:07
    High School
    ladyvoldemort
    During my senior year of high school, they started allowing us to bring our own laptops to school. Besides me, only a few other kids brought their laptops to school. I brought mine to take notes and make videos for classes.
  • im right ur wrong 2012/07/29 20:23:53
    Middle School
    im right ur wrong
    elem is to young but so is 6th grade so idk!
  • ~*PoliceGirl*~ (>^-^)> 2012/07/29 17:15:57
    High School
    ~*PoliceGirl*~ (>^-^)>
    as needed in middle school
  • les_gvt 2012/07/29 16:44:55
    Middle School
    les_gvt
    +3
    not before 4th-5th grade

MAKE THEM LEARN HOW TO READ WRITE AND DO BASIC MATH before you start allowing them to use computers. If our kids do not get the basics down, they will always be users, never the programmers
  • cupcakes 2012/07/29 14:31:45
    Elementary School
    cupcakes
    +2
    that when i started useing computers
  • Carson 2012/07/29 08:41:13
    Elementary School
    Carson
    I voted elemetary school just because some kids wish to spend their time on the computer. Although learning disabilities dont exist.
  • les_gvt Carson 2012/07/29 16:41:43
    les_gvt
    +1
    I know kids that want cake for breakfast, should we give it to them?
  • Carson les_gvt 2012/07/29 17:22:42
    Carson
    +1
    Thats the parents job.
  • les_gvt Carson 2012/07/29 18:18:20
    les_gvt
    +1
    you choose to ignore the point- the point is, rugrats do not always get everything they want
  • Carson les_gvt 2012/07/30 03:24:16
    Carson
    And that makes your point valid?
  • leslie Carson 2012/07/30 16:45:53
    leslie
    +3
    It is also the parents job to demand that the a schools teach the students the basics first before they learn to use a machine that does all of the Creative and critical Thinking skills for them.
  • leslie Carson 2012/07/30 16:44:17
    leslie
    +3
    Kids shouldn't always get what they want. Learning from books and teachers, as well as the socialization skills that come from working in a class room that uses books is far better than for a kid to be stuck on a computer to learn. When you grow up and become an adult maybe you will understand.
  • Carson leslie 2012/07/31 05:45:18
    Carson
    Never did I say in class. If in class then no. But if they want to be on the computer during lunch why not. I believe it is a rights issue.
  • doc moto 2012/07/29 07:38:07
    College
    doc moto
    +2
    After high school as it appears they would do it anyway; in all the other grades, open the books and write like we did and learn and enjoy recess and lunch!
  • uninformedluddite 2012/07/29 06:02:14
    Never!
    uninformedluddite
    +3
    When I was at school having a calculator was not allowed. Interesting that since the advent of digital classrooms students seem to be getting dumber.
  • Beat Ma... uninfor... 2012/07/30 13:30:37
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    But when your computer breaks or you can't "get the email thingey" to open, guess who you call... the "dumber" generation as you call it.
  • uninfor... Beat Ma... 2012/08/01 05:52:35
    uninformedluddite
    No! They generally call me to fix it. My skill with the machine that goes ping is a perfect example that digital skills do not have to be taught in schools. These sort of skills are easily picked up outside of basic education. English Composition should not be MS-Word 101(I exaggerate a little bit).
  • nbarton2 2012/07/29 04:03:35
    High School
    nbarton2
    +1
    The thing is though that the necessity of relying on them is becoming so that people don't use the thinking process anymore, abstract thinking is a thing of the past, as is spelling since spell check is everyone's friend. I've read some handwritten stuff from people and it isn't pretty. People say that kids need to learn on them at an early age but kids need to learn to do basic things at an early age not everything needs to be done with electronics, how about being able to do basic math without a calculator.
  • no1ymfan 2012/07/29 03:34:55
    High School
    no1ymfan
    +1
    I felt like I just answered this question... something about tablets...
  • Autumn 2012/07/29 01:00:08
    Middle School
    Autumn
    +2
    Elementary schoolers like to break things. They can use the desktops until they're mature enough.
  • the_old_coach 2012/07/29 00:20:04
    Elementary School
    the_old_coach
    +2
    The sooner the better.
  • PandahSixx 2012/07/28 23:30:26
  • Ozymandias 2012/07/28 22:33:21
  • Wyveryx 2012/07/28 21:33:41
    College
    Wyveryx
    +3
    Unless there is a need for specialized calculations, then there is no need, and even then calculators are far less expensive.
    When students are being graduated without basic reading and mathematical comprehension, then a laptop isn't going to do them any favors.
  • Jules 2012/07/28 15:11:52
    High School
    Jules
    +3
    In elementary school and even middle school you don't really do that much-if any- type work in school. And while middle school gives a fair amount of notes, I think high school would be easier on not just the note-taking, but how we organize the notes themselves. Because in high school you have more classes, and about two-three pages of notes for each class PER DAY (except for gym, obviously) and so even if you just simply have a binder, that binder is overstuffed with dividers and notes for each divider, so that it's filled really past it's limit. A laptop would honestly just be so much easier to use, not just for note taking (that way you can just listen to your teacher talk about it and type down whatever he/she says) and organizing too.
  • Spooner 2012/07/28 09:18:25
    Elementary School
    Spooner
    +4
    Start with typing classes. Learning to touch type is an envaluable skill and will serve them well for the rest of their lives.
  • Kitsune... Spooner 2012/07/29 17:21:17
    Kitsune Touhou
    You're right, it's definitely a useful skill, although I taught myself to type... (=_=;)
  • Beat Ma... Spooner 2012/07/30 13:31:27 (edited)
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    90-100 WPM here. In the time it took most of my undergrad classmates to bust out one page, I had 3 or 4.
  • Somkey the Hores 2012/07/28 08:16:01
    Never!
    Somkey the Hores
    +2
    They wouldn't let us use CALCULATORS at any level.
  • Russian 2012/07/28 07:50:42
    Elementary School
    Russian
    +4
    This is a generation weir laptops is in our everyday lives. Children need to learn how to operate and use a computer. Computer make our lives easier and more organized. Why should students not use laptops? If you ask me i say students with their personal laptops should have the right to bring it to school and do their school work on.
    Students using laptops
  • Somkey ... Russian 2012/07/28 08:16:54
    Somkey the Hores
    +3
    Looks like it worked for YOU.
  • leslie Russian 2012/07/30 17:03:29
    leslie
    +1
    @ Anonymous - - - This is a generation weir (WHERE) laptops is (ARE) in our everyday lives. Children need to learn how to operate and use a computer. Computer (COMPUTERS) make our lives easier and more organized. Why should students not use laptops? If you ask me i (I'D) say students with their personal laptops should have the right to bring it to school and do their school work on them .

You asked why students shouldn't use laptops?
    How about because they do everything for you and you don't have to perform creative or critical thinking skills to achieve an outcome.

Maybe instead of having a laptop in class with you, you should have been listening to the teacher, learning Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation.

A computer does not teach you how to right your name, fill out a job application, or allow you to have legible handwriting. These are all lost arts.

A computer does not teach you to think for yourself, it just tells you to type in X to get the answer to Y.

It does not teach you how to do calculations, it does them for you.

Clearly, All of that intense work on that laptop of yours really worked out well for you didn't it.
  • Russian leslie 2012/07/31 00:46:35
    Russian
    +1
    Good point. I have not thought about that.
    Yes it has. U mad bro?
  • leslie Russian 2012/07/31 20:08:38
    leslie
    Well, since I may be old enough to be your mother!!!!!!! No
  • frequent–antagonist 2012/07/28 05:50:08
    Elementary School
    frequent–antagonist
    +2
    I remember having fun on computers around kindergarten plus, and then simple laptop training around grade three or four. It really does help with a lot of things to be taught how to use said technologies at younger ages.
  • Peppergirl14 2012/07/28 05:38:07
    Elementary School
    Peppergirl14
    +4
    I was allowed to use laptops in school in 4th grade. It is a very helpful learning tool, and it always made working more convenient for me.
  • amysmeade 2012/07/28 04:36:43
    Elementary School
    amysmeade
    +4
    Start them young computers are a way of life so the sooner the learn the better
  • mikeeonly 2012/07/28 04:07:57
    Middle School
    mikeeonly
    +2
    kids have gotten away from the basics. We were never allowed to even use calculators
  • GoDucks5 2012/07/28 03:57:26 (edited)
    Elementary School
    GoDucks5
    +7
  • Kitsune... GoDucks5 2012/07/29 17:24:16
    Kitsune Touhou
    +2
    Yes, Macs are definitely more expensive. My school uses Dell laptops, I think...

2014/08/21 02:25:22