At What Class Level Should Laptops Be Allowed in Schools?

Is it just us or did summer swing by faster than usual this time around? With August just around the corner, "Back to School" is the thing on everyone's mind. Well, if you're a student, parent or teacher at least.

It's almost time to swap bathing suits for books. And while you don't have to complete any tests or do any homework quite yet, we think now's the optimal time to get your mind juices flowing with our quick, 8-Question "Back to School" Survey. Don't worry: No matter the answer, we'll give you an "A+" anyway.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/school-sur...

• GoDucks5 2012/07/28 03:57:26 (edited)
    Elementary School
    GoDucks5
    +7
    I have used them in school since elementary. It will also help kids type fast because I took some typing classes and I type 73 wpm. I think if you start learning something at a young age, it's easier then learning it when you are older. They were always only for school use but the only problem is the tax payers are the one paying for them and they have Macs instead of Dells, Macs are more expensive. My school distinct is a good distinct for the most part but they spend too much money. They also have computer labs for school use only so I mainly used the computers in the computer lab instead of the laptops. Oregon is pretty liberal though.

• Mary Jesuita 2012/08/12 02:31:39
    Middle School
    Mary Jesuita
    I work with middle school children average age 11 and a tablet is a great tool.
  • LdyLeo 2012/08/08 12:08:46 (edited)
    High School
    LdyLeo
    Why not? A majority of them will almost be in college soon wherer they will use laptops for classes. Elementary and middle schoolers should stick to using desktop computers.
  • L K 2012/08/03 15:09:13 (edited)
    Elementary School
    L K
    As an elementary school teacher for 36 years I can tell you that elementary students do just fine with laptops. If they are taught HOW to care for them and treat them properly they are an asset to learning. I have several laptops in my classroom and we do project based learning with them. I also did lessons using laptops and a smart board with a classroom in London last year via skype and the children in my class and in London made flipcharts ( powerpoint type presentations) and shared them with one another on a variety of subjects. The students researched topics, presented their findings, and created animation programs, movies, keynote presentations etc. using the iLife series on macbooks. We also received a grant and did an amazing interactive presentation for the entire county. My students made movies on endangered animals, created websites....they were fabulous. Elementary students can do this. My two year old grandson even knows how to use an ipad and go to the preschool sites. He is only two and reading and writing already. technology is a wonderful tool if it is monitored and used properly. If parents let children do whatever they want with it and don't give limits and restrictions they are wrong. Then children aren't using technology correctly. It should ne...
    As an elementary school teacher for 36 years I can tell you that elementary students do just fine with laptops. If they are taught HOW to care for them and treat them properly they are an asset to learning. I have several laptops in my classroom and we do project based learning with them. I also did lessons using laptops and a smart board with a classroom in London last year via skype and the children in my class and in London made flipcharts ( powerpoint type presentations) and shared them with one another on a variety of subjects. The students researched topics, presented their findings, and created animation programs, movies, keynote presentations etc. using the iLife series on macbooks. We also received a grant and did an amazing interactive presentation for the entire county. My students made movies on endangered animals, created websites....they were fabulous. Elementary students can do this. My two year old grandson even knows how to use an ipad and go to the preschool sites. He is only two and reading and writing already. technology is a wonderful tool if it is monitored and used properly. If parents let children do whatever they want with it and don't give limits and restrictions they are wrong. Then children aren't using technology correctly. It should never be a baby sitter. But a learning tool. Teachers set boundaries and give specific rules on when and how to use all technology and because of that, it is a wonderful tool in the classroom. It has also been found extremely effective in teaching the autistic students in our school. They are learning to read through laptops. Don't under estimate the abilities of young children. Students need to learn everything in school. This is just one more aspect to learning the basics. We don't throw away the old tried and true stuff...but add to it if we want to raise an educated society.
  • shazyb999 2012/08/02 19:04:31
    High School
    shazyb999
    i think high school is a good age but no younger as it only teaches children to be lazy with there hand wrighting and spelling, its ok knowing how to send an email but its a different matter all togeather knowing how to wright and spell a READABLE letter.
  • AlliePonie shazyb999 2012/08/07 06:28:09
    AlliePonie
    *Write
  • shazyb999 AlliePonie 2012/08/07 07:07:24
    shazyb999
    thanx
  • AlliePonie shazyb999 2012/08/07 07:29:33
    AlliePonie
    *Thanks
  • cnsharp 2012/08/02 15:03:29
    High School
    cnsharp
    It does depend on the teacher at the end of the day. I know of a lot of college professors that don't allow laptops and then their are some that let you use your phone as a calculator.
  • ~MandyLynn~ 2012/08/02 14:37:31
    High School
    ~MandyLynn~
    Never got why they give laptops in Elementary..kids will more likely just try to 'play' on them. Laptops weren't even existing when I was in school..so I never got one. I don't think they are really needed in school....
  • AmericanVirus 2012/08/02 14:35:04 (edited)
    High School
    AmericanVirus
    +1
    Thinking it over, I say middle school.
    Keep the elementary school children on desktops if they must use computers at all
  • ★misfit★ 2012/08/02 14:26:04
    Middle School
    ★misfit★
    Laptops might be too big a responsibility for elementary school kids to manage at school, but I see no reason to wait past middle school. Being proficient on a computer is a vital skill.
  • Farbiger 2012/08/02 03:01:57
    High School
    Farbiger
    Poop! I meant to hit Middle school. That's when we had laptops.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/08/01 22:11:45
    Elementary School
    MOMMA THOMAS
    ...O.K. FOR CERTAIN TYPES OF LESSONS. THEY SHOULDN'T BE USED IN LIEU OF ACQUIRING A SKILL..... SAW THAT WHEN CALCULATORS WERE ALLOWED IN MATH CLASSES A FEW YEARS BACK.
  • The Patriot 2012/08/01 22:08:31
    Elementary School
    The Patriot
    Pre School actually

Oh BTW - I'm a computer Technician - Thanks for your money
  • mblack 2012/08/01 21:51:45
    Elementary School
    mblack
    Quite frankly i'm shocked by the vote total, but then again the public education system in the U.S. sucks.

All kids should be given a laptop or tablet as early as 4th or 5th grade. I'm 37 and we had mandatory computer class in 3rd grade, we used Commodore 64s for typing and learning basic computing. Could be the reason I'm in the tech. sector and not worried about ever being employed or employable.
  • xX Shaker xX 2012/08/01 19:54:12
    Middle School
    xX Shaker xX
    Middle School. Because by then you are just starting to learn a sense of responsibility. If you wait till college then you'll most likely already have one of your own so what's the point. If you wait till high school you will have missed a great opportunity to learn to be responsible.
  • Josh Robinson 2012/08/01 18:02:24
    Elementary School
    Josh Robinson
    If it's a childs curriculum why the heck wait till High School..? If screens are dangerous than parents need to take computer and video games away from young children as well. I think a digital learning device for school children would be awesome... they could keep it for years and just put the next grades school lessons in at the beginning of the new year. You wouldn't need paper books anymore.
  • Terrain 2012/08/01 14:49:51
    Elementary School
    Terrain
    Listen people you have to stop fighting it technology is just apart of our civilization and would be an excellent tool for the class room, i say as young as possible. Today we have the ability to teach children more effectively by means of computers and other electronic devices. That is the future. Why would you wanna hinder a child's development by saying "Hey your only allowed to have this Technology when your reach Middle School, High School, College or Never". That really makes zero sense.

A computer connect us all together, able to share information and learn from one another, not to mention that every book that has ever been written came be found here, and is a more effective teacher tool. I say we start from the moment children can talk. of course be careful be this is apart of their lives and they have the right to learn about it. allowed to connect with other cultures and ideals isn't that why the internet was created in the first place.
  • Aleksandr 2012/08/01 13:36:53
    Middle School
    Aleksandr
    We already have laptops at my sons private school.
  • sally 2012/08/01 06:12:30
    High School
    sally
    I know I used my laptop a lot in high school.
  • smurfmafia355 2012/07/31 19:01:40
    High School
    smurfmafia355
    Never was it ever ever ever necessary to use a laptop at school. I only ever needed it once everything was either a group research project or a long essay when I also had track cross country and stage crew before and after school. At that point it was necessary and I used it during study halls and lunch breaks, but thats all it should be needed for.
  • Nekosarethebest 2012/07/31 18:02:38
    High School
    Nekosarethebest
    So...many...reports. And college is worse! D:
  • becca 2012/07/31 17:25:05
    Middle School
    becca
  • jusnanas 2012/07/31 17:22:09
    College
    jusnanas
    Our local high school provides laptops to all the students and they monitor the online content to make sure kids are not using it for unsavory things. It does help the parents as they do not need to buy the notebooks, paper and such for school supplies but i guess I am old fashioned and believe the abilities and lessons I learned in school helped me. I do not need a calculator to do math, I am able to spell almost any word without using spell check, and I can write in a legible manner, these are just a few of the advantages of the "old school" education.

I obviously enjoy the technology of today as I am using computers for all kinds of things but using computers for school can change the level of learning, for instance kids can go in and find information on the constitution and copy and paste for a report...in my day we had to read and write it down on paper, by doing this I was actually learning the words and meaning of what I was reading. I fought the use of calculators when my kids were in school and if I was parent instead of a grandparent today I would fight the use of laptops in school until they graduated from high school.

Just an opinion, but I do feel the kids of today are graduating with less knowledge than the kids of my day. We learned responsibility, a sense of pride and confidence in knowing we could accomplish any task with a little time and willingness to do the job.
  • democoach 2012/07/31 17:10:19
    High School
    democoach
    heck im not sure even high school should be allowed, they'd be using facebook, and twitter and youtube, thats all they do in university classes, i am in uni and i never bring my laptop, but everyone else who does, is always on facebook
  • Hermione Granger Fan 2012/07/31 16:46:58
    Middle School
    Hermione Granger Fan
    It depends what the school is using them for and what kinds of kids are using laptops.
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2012/07/31 15:30:31
  • Sailor ... thє вlu... 2012/07/31 21:49:26
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    shouldn't they be learning something practical instead of memorizing dates and names?
  • Sterling 2012/07/31 15:00:48
    College
    Sterling
    Kids don't need to be bringing in laptops for elementary school or middle school. MAYBE highschool, but that's what a computer lab is for. A person messing around on a laptop is distracting for everyone around them, that same person messing around on a smartphone is much LESS obnoxious.
  • kelly 2012/07/31 14:25:26
    High School
    kelly
    My school lets kids in middle school use laptops already, and it's a big issue there - the kids are always playing video games and rarely socialize. They'd rather play video games than talk to their friends! But once people are in high school, they understand the importance of being able to socialize and communicate with people instead of always using their computer. That being said, young kids should still be allowed to use computers, just not laptops as they really aren't that necessary. Having computer classes, like typing classes, would be really useful for younger kids.
  • Aida 2012/07/31 14:00:00 (edited)
    Never!
    Aida
    +1
    I love computers and it does teach you how to type faster but I feel that the laptops are not letting the children think for themselves. When they don't know something they find things by the click of a button.
  • Sailor ... Aida 2012/07/31 21:51:58
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    don't we want them to learn, though?
  • Gwen 2012/07/31 13:45:35 (edited)
    Elementary School
    Gwen
    +1
    The Ipads at our school are introduced in 1st grade...with all elem classes utilizing each grades laptop cart once daily. Math concepts as well as language arts are very well received in this way. Kids do some pretty amazing learning on them. Our middle school uses them as well...as well as laptop carts. The high school is 1:1 laptop computers (EVERY student has a school assigned laptop) Assignments, some tests can be done on-line this way. A great paper saver.
  • Tiah 2012/07/31 13:06:45
    Elementary School
    Tiah
    I used it ever since yr 2 and it has helped me greatly with Maths!
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2012/07/31 12:34:13
    Elementary School
    Artist~PWCM~
    My nine year old already knows how to type and run all over the internet. She also uses a couple of sites to help her with her math. Practice kind of things.
    So yeah, third grade on up...
  • Mattisadoormatt 2012/07/31 12:20:59
    Middle School
    Mattisadoormatt
    I started using laptops in school in 6th grade. Expensive ones, too. I'd say middle school. They have enough common sense to not severely damage them.
  • becca Mattisa... 2012/07/31 17:27:24
    becca
    Of course!
  • MissTypist 2012/07/31 10:10:46
    Middle School
    MissTypist
    We used to have one in middle school. They weren't very good, though. Usually we'd go to the I.T room instead 'cause that had computers which worked better :)
  • Skye 2012/07/31 09:27:33
    Elementary School
    Skye
    Stuck in between middle and elementary.
  • Safury 2012/07/31 07:22:33
    Middle School
    Safury
    Middle school or high school. Whenever they begin being needed for research.

2014/12/19 13:02:33