Artist Recreates Golden Globe Looks With Child Models: Adorable or Eh?

AdriHead 2013/01/18 20:00:00
Related Topics: Fashion, Golden Globes

SLIDESHOW: Is Golden Globe Recreation Adorable?

Lucy Liu
1 of 6

Lucy Liu

1. Lucy Liu

Lucy Liu

2. Anne Hathaway

Anne Hathaway

3. Halle Berry

Halle Berry

4. Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift

5. George Clooney & Stacy Keibler

George Clooney & Stacy Keibler

6. Kerry Washington

Kerry Washington

Who thinks of this stuff? Evidently, NYC-based artist Tricia Messeroux does. The artist, who previously created a project with mini-celebrity lookalikes called "ToddleWood," went above and beyond with her latest idea.

She took the red carpet outfits from this year's Golden Globes and created nearly identical, mini-versions, which were showcased by child models. Check out the slideshow to see the awesome shots! Do you think it's an adorable idea?

NYDAILYNEWS.COM reports:
Wearing a nearly identical version of Lucy Liu's Carolina Herrera gown, the actress' little mini-me nailed the presenter's Golden Globes look right down to her matching side braid.
herrera gown actress mini-me nailed presenters golden globes matching braid

Read More: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/kids-model-s...

• CoinOperatedJoy 2013/01/23 17:54:27
    Adorable
    CoinOperatedJoy
    +1
    "Adorable" might be too strong a word. Some of those kids are ugly, but so are the celebs they're mimicking. The Halle Berry (sp?) one is the best, in my opinion and why I voted Adorable. Otherwise, it's kind of Eh. Maybe..."Kinda Cute" would have been a good vote option.
  • Flowers 2013/01/23 14:46:15
    Eh
    Flowers
    Bordering on disgusting. Just because freaks watch those child pageant reality shows DOES NOT MEAN IT'S ACCEPTABLE TO DRESS AND POSE CHILDREN TO MIMIC ADULTS. Seriously
  • lil.artist 2013/01/23 11:43:32
    Eh
    lil.artist
    it doesn't fit them
  • Magyarita 2013/01/23 02:36:53
    Eh
    Magyarita
    The first picture is kind of cute, however I think child modeling should really only be for children's store catalogs.
  • max robinson 2013/01/23 01:00:32
    Eh
    max robinson
    idc
  • LittleMistersMom 2013/01/22 16:06:27
    Adorable
    LittleMistersMom
    Funny! The George Clooney and Stacy Kiebler picture cracked me up.
  • aurelie 2013/01/22 08:20:29
    Adorable
    aurelie
    +1
    How cute! I'm surprised not many thought so too.
  • Muriel 2013/01/22 05:07:46
    Eh
    Muriel
    +1
    Their moms should have their heads examined.
  • JCLadybug 2013/01/22 03:00:41
    Eh
    JCLadybug
    +3
    The very first one is adorable, but that is because Lucy Liu strikes a more child-like image with the braid and flowered dress (which I wasn't a huge fan of...but it is SO cute on the little girl). The rest are creepy and simply the sexualization of children.....
  • Reikyrr 2013/01/22 01:45:12
    Eh
    Reikyrr
    +4
    Child modelling is in my opinion just another form of child labour.
    And I dont like the dress on either one of them..
  • Catnip "Guru" ∞ 2013/01/21 23:25:41
    Eh
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    +1
    That's a little on the creepy side.
  • Serenity Guru of lurve *wink* 2013/01/21 23:06:18
  • happyhappyhappy 2013/01/21 21:05:32
    Eh
    happyhappyhappy
    +1
    Cheesy and lame.
  • MsDianna 2013/01/21 20:42:51
    Adorable
    MsDianna
    +1
    a beautiful doll to be put up in a case to look at!
  • katy.isodo 2013/01/21 20:00:17
    Eh
    katy.isodo
    +1
    Most of those gowns are cut for an adult figure and that's just slightly creepy on kids...
  • princessemolove 2013/01/21 18:23:39
    Adorable
    princessemolove
    +3
    That little girl is so cute!
  • piegirl333 2013/01/21 17:12:37 (edited)
    Eh
    piegirl333
    +2
    I thought the first one was adorable but the rest were creeeeeeeepyyyyyyyy! I really like the dress Lucy Liu is wearing though =P
  • katy.isodo piegirl333 2013/01/21 20:00:53
    katy.isodo
    +1
    Yeah - that's the only one I liked as well
  • Vic F 2013/01/21 16:56:22
    Eh
    Vic F
    +2
    I hope he's making fun of these insipid awards.
  • Lady novaliciouse 2013/01/21 16:52:27
    Adorable
    Lady novaliciouse
    +2
    Nchoooooo jst adorable how cute bt lyk is she her mom coz if so she needs to let da child dress hr age
  • polock 2013/01/21 15:35:50
    Adorable
    polock
    +2
    cute, does the model get one for free?
  • addie 2013/01/21 14:41:00 (edited)
    Eh
    addie
    +1
    But the very obvious, ugly, wig on Kerry whoever and the one on the girl are a perfect match, kudos to those designers! lol
  • ID51 2013/01/21 14:26:18
    Eh
    ID51
    +2
    Let children be children. It lasts for only a short time. They have many more years to be adults.
  • emily.engle.180 2013/01/21 13:18:33
    Eh
    emily.engle.180
    +2
    I don't think we have to make little people feel the need to dress up like that. Is kind of adorable, (in a weird way) but a lot of those dresses are VERY innapropiate for some kids. I think their parents just want to live some odd fantasy through their children. -_-
  • Cunning Stunts 2013/01/21 12:49:13
    Eh
    Cunning Stunts
    +2
    I feel like I need to puke whenever I see ceremonies aimed at celebrity worship.
  • foxy 2013/01/21 10:15:24
    Eh
    foxy
    +1
    NO NO NO!!! How can anybody subject a child to this? Kids love to dress up yes, but to have to do this and have the life of a baby model, no way!!!
  • Morrison foxy 2013/01/21 18:04:42
    Morrison
    Subjecting them to what exactly? Putting on a pretty outfit?
  • foxy Morrison 2013/01/21 18:11:09
    foxy
    Watch a programme about how these children are treated by parents who want them to be famous or whatever. Then u will see what I mean.
  • Morrison foxy 2013/01/21 23:34:28
    Morrison
    I know the shows you are referring to, but how do we know that is happening to these kids here with this artist?
  • foxy Morrison 2013/01/22 10:00:10
    foxy
    +1
    Not really if it is a one off ok good luck to them, but I still like children to be dressed their age.
  • Emi 2013/01/21 06:48:00
    Eh
    Emi
    +2
    Please dress at your age..
  • Aader 2013/01/21 06:21:40
    Eh
    Aader
    +1
    Anyone else creeped out. No. Must be I have high moral standards.
  • Serenit... Aader 2013/01/21 23:10:38
    Serenity  Guru of lurve *wink*
    Oh no my friend you are definitely not on your own there
  • Shae 2013/01/21 05:45:13
    Adorable
    Shae
    +4
    Aaah! I think it's super duper cute!!
  • Tastentier 2013/01/21 04:57:06
    Eh
    Tastentier
    +1
    Some of those dresses and poses are quite inappropriate for children, especially prepubescent children. I find it creepy that anyone would want to sexualize children like this.
  • Morrison Tastentier 2013/01/21 18:05:42
    Morrison
    I find it creepy that you found this slideshow "sexual" in any way shape or form. Good God.
  • Tastentier Morrison 2013/01/21 22:40:06 (edited)
    Tastentier
    I did not find it sexually arousing, if that's what you mean. You might want to look up the definition of "sexualized". In this case, it refers to something that was deliberately done by the photographer.

Edited to add: Think of it like this. Imagine Barney Frank in his beloved dog collar. Aside from that, he's wearing nothing but a latex thong. He tilts his hips and strikes a pose, puckers his lips and blinks into the camera with bedroom eyes. Sexualized? Sure. Sexually exciting? Hell no! (Or it might be for you, who knows. In that case, replace Mr. Frank with Nancy Pelosi).
  • Serenit... Tastentier 2013/01/21 23:32:57
    Serenity  Guru of lurve *wink*
    +1
    I understand it's like if my daughter poses wiith her mates when there taking photo's on their phones they copy the celebs sexy pouts and poses from the magazines or tv etc. Now no one is making them do it, their just mimicking their fave popstar ROLEPLAY (btw I over see every picture before it goes on FB ) but if some photographer told my daughter to pose in a inappropriate way, I would question his intentions .
  • Morrison Tastentier 2013/01/21 23:40:02
    Morrison
    I know what the word sexualized means, and you can spare me the language lessons in the future. No I didn't mean you found them sexually exciting. I meant what I said. How are these images sexualized in your opinion? I looked through all the pictures in the slideshow and didn't find a single image I would consider "sexualized" - even remotely. Are you taking about the makeup? Bare shoulders? I'm not trying to be contrarian for its own sake, I just don't see the sexualization of children in these images.
  • Tastentier Morrison 2013/01/22 01:12:38 (edited)
    Tastentier
    As a hobby anthropologist, I actually feel qualified to explain this phenomenon :) It's going to be a rather long post though, so please bear with me. Humans distinguish between males, females and prepubescent children based on certain visual cues. Some of these cues are based on posture, others on body shape, and others again on facial proportions and complexion.

Complexion is far more important than one might think, which explains why women use makeup in order to turbe-charge their gender cues. The four faces below all show the same person:

You'll probably notice that the first face looks rather masculine, although the model is a woman. That's partially due to the beard shadow, but also because of the slightly ruddier complexion, the light lips and the lack of contrast between eyes and face due to shorter eyelashes. The second face looks rather feminine but in a juvenile way, without strong gender cues. It is hard to tell from the face alone if this person has reached reproductive age or not.

The third face shows the natural complexion of an adult woman. It has the same somewhat juvenile features, but the slightly lighter facial complexion, the increased blood flow to the lips and the dark outline of the eyes (due to longer eyelashes) tells us that this is a woman within the ...

important explains women makeup order turbe-charge gender cues faces person

The third face shows the natural complexion of an adult woman. It has the same somewhat juvenile features, but the slightly lighter facial complexion, the increased blood flow to the lips and the dark outline of the eyes (due to longer eyelashes) tells us that this is a woman within the reproductive age range. These gender cues are naturally increased during ovulation, the period when a woman is most fertile, by factors such as stronger blood flow to the lips.

The fourth and last face belongs to a woman who simulates "turbo-ovulation" through the use of makeup that darkens her lips more than naturally possible and enhances the dark shadow of her eyelashes. Modern humans have become somewhat desensitized to this hyper-feminine look because women have been engaged in a makeup arms race for centuries, if not millennia :-) But it is still a look that subconsciously signals men "court me, compete for my attention, I'm fertile and willing".

That's why most people consider it extremely inappropriate to apply this sort of makeup to a child's face (or to the face of an adult male, for that matter). It doesn't cause men to be automatically sexually attracted to the makeup wearer, mind you. It simply confuses us by sending highly contradictory visual cues, which results in stress and sometimes aggression. (This is also one main reason for so-called homophobia btw. Even non-crossdressing gay men often send all kinds of feminine cues through posture and speech melody).

Sadly, we have also become desensitized to children wearing makeup that simulates the look of an ovulating female, "thanks" to things like beauty pageants and the use of minors in fashion adverts. But of course maekup is not the only reason that some of these photos look inapproprate and creepy. Perhaps you didn't look at all of them, seeing that some are rather harmless. Here is an example of what I mean:

pageants minors fashion adverts maekup reason photos inapproprate creepy harmless

In this case, the creepiness factor is partially due to a copious amount of eyeliner or mascara, as well as the torn dress that signals a "damsel in distress" type of weakness. Another factor is that the flow of the dress makes the hips appear wider and simulates the waist-to-hip ratio of a sexually mature female person, which is another important gender cue.

But it is mostly the posture that confuses the viewer. Prepubescent girls have a different center of weight than female humans who have gone through puberty, which gives adult women a different posture as well as the typical swaying hips walk. The tilted hip in this photo is not only a typical adult female posture, it is actually an extreme version of it.

The real Halle Berry shows the natural, non-sexualized version of this posture. Apparently the photographer told the child to exaggerate it, which an adult woman would do to signal "come hither". Together with the makeup and the dress, this is what I mean when I say sexualized. All these gender cues are used by adult women to leave no doubt about sexual maturity and signal sexual availability in order to attract mates. It is disconcerting to see these cues exhibited by a child. I hope that answers your question :-)

2014/08/20 10:45:12