Are You Willing to Give Up the Dollar to Help the U.S. Save Money?

ABCnews.com 2011/10/25 20:47:35
Related Topics: Money, Dollar, Save

• Maya 2011/10/26 01:24:36
    Maya
    +4
    Yes, but not now. If it will cost more now to save over time we should wait to implement it. We need to find solutions to cut costs and increase savings first.

• richard 2012/11/15 17:20:05
    richard
    why give up the goverment will only pocket the savings for them self...bastards
  • Rick 2012/03/07 17:21:15 (edited)
    Rick
    I like them very rare right now. More apt to keep them. Plus you never have more than a few dollar bills on yor person anyway. They also look good gives the the impression your holding real gold. Do it now why wait to save money. Besides they.last forever.
  • The Mis... Rick 2012/03/08 05:40:41
    The Mist Knight
    Remember that the only real currency in America is coinage. The other monetary system used in America is something call paper tender (fiat money/currency), --- fiat money (n) - Bing Dictionary
    fi·at mon·ey

money decreed by government: paper money that a government declares to be legal tender although it is not based on or convertible into coins and therefore depends on government decree to determine its value

---- Though the United States coinage requires the congress to regulate it. Ideally congress is not a technical government. IT is a meeting of the people and the people regulate to value of the coinage. That is really the extent of there power. Currency is a touchy thing. Paper money (American Dollar) is regulated by a law. Where coinage is regulated by the Constitutions.
  • Traveller 2011/11/19 20:32:44
    Traveller
    Oh, please do tell, how is this possible?
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2011/10/30 18:51:14
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    It will make everything cost more.
  • The Mis... WhereIs... 2011/11/03 19:25:27
    The Mist Knight
    Actually, things cost more because of the paper currency in addition to other factors. I think it was saving of more $50 billion dollars over 30 years. That is what about $600 million each years. In the government that might not sound a lot. But in a small economic way it would. Additionally, you should read my posting. Because I posted information on how the paper money is monetary system not-protected by the constitutions. Whereas coinages are. Technically speaking the only true American currency are those in coins.

The only major cost would be to retailers needing to redesign there draws, lottery vender machines would need to except coins because not to many people will pay five dollars each time they play. The least important cost would be to consumer because then they would have invent and buy something that would ease the way to carry coins and a way to insure security with that invention. You understand?

If that was the costs you are talking about then I understand what you mean.
  • The Mist Knight 2011/10/27 08:30:50
    The Mist Knight
    Most people do not know this, the Federal Reserve Note (United States paper currency) also being called the American Dollar (or US Dollar or USD) is made and controlled by the United States Department of the Treasury's Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Where as out coins are made by another and separate agency known to the world as the United States Mint (or USM). The fact is the coin is the only currency mentioned in and authorized by the Constitution of the United States, see section Section 8 - Powers of Congress (athttp://www.usconstitution.... Where as the Federal Reserve Notes are authorized by Section 411 of Title 12 of the United States Code.

So what this means, as far as I know it, is that the Federal Reserve Notes are one currency accepted by the people as a whole. Whereas coins, are not only regulated by the people (being Congress) but there value and purpose as a currency makes then a second currency in the United States. It means, that when the value of the these notes become less and less valuable the value of coins will not ever change. Unless we the people change it. So that mean, penny will always be a 0.01¢, the same with the dime, and that dollar coin they are proposing.

The fact is, I would agree to exchange all currency with coinage. As long as the syst...

The fact is, I would agree to exchange all currency with coinage. As long as the system is easy to understand and the ability to transport is make simpler and securely. It is not now or was ever safe to carry coins on your belt because of the ease of stilling it.

Simple I say yes. (Hay Mint, I have a couple of ideas that would work to help people recognize the dollar coin over the quarter. )
  • I love strippers 2011/10/26 14:01:26
    I love strippers
    Men of America,i encourage you to think about our strippers and our wallets on this.say you spend $20 dollars tipping strippers at the bar, 20 paper dollars = 20 women, 20 women = 40 breast, its simple math. what? you want to spend $5 a pop on a single girl because places want to only take paper money, " hell no", thats to damn expensive, now your $20 = 4 Women, 4 women = 8 breast. i cant help but think where would these poor girls put the coins if so, in a can,in a cup, talk about a turn off.....shake some t & a and then this girl shakes a cup like some pan handler on the street corner, not to mention where are us guys going to put these coins as well. i end by saying i hope some stripper somewhere is going to read this and shake her head, laugh and agree with me on this.
  • The Mis... I love ... 2011/10/27 07:22:27
    The Mist Knight
    +1
    I like titties to, but that does not mean that they take priority. And I guess those companies are going to have to create a system for there chicks, uh.

I mean, you need to know that laws at hand. Only coin money the online currency not apart of the treasury. Remember the mint it not government and is an agency in itself.
  • Diane Rowse 2011/10/26 13:52:53
    Diane Rowse
    We summer in Canada and love the loonies and toonies ($l & $2). I have tried to
    promote dollar coins here - example when giving prizes for a tournament give bags of
    dollar coins. Always goes over well.
  • Flea 2011/10/26 02:27:18
    Flea
    They've tried several times to get the dollar coin in vogue, and it's never gone over. It's simple weight and portability. You can't fold a coin, it doesn't fit in a wallet well, 20 one dollar bills weigh 10 times less than 20 dollar coins, and what most people complained about, they got confused with quarters. Even when they came out with the Sacajawea dollar 10 years ago with the larger size, gold color, and no edge ridges it flopped.
  • kiers 2011/10/26 02:11:11
    kiers
    People! this is a question about changing the national currency to something new, say an AMU (American Monetary Unit). The dollar is the international trade ccy. the AMU can start fresh. This means china will start hoarding AMU. It really makes NO DIFFERENCE unitl we not only GIVE UP the Dollar, but that also the IMF/WB/Some Bigwheel create and support a world trade ccy. One alone won't do it.
  • Conservative 2011/10/26 02:05:16
    Conservative
    Yes, yet I think coins should be made wider as i am prone to having coins fall out of my pocket and weight of coins has histroically been a indication of weatlh
  • lukequarter 2011/10/26 02:04:02
    lukequarter
    That is like saying that we want to give up our rights and freedoms. Having a world currency is inviting a world government so HELL NO!
  • The Mis... lukequa... 2011/10/27 07:30:35
    The Mist Knight
    +3
    Actually Luke, you lost your rights and freedoms when paper currency was created. The Internal Revenue Serves make paper money, where as coins are made by the mint and unlike paper money are protected by the constitution. Though, the type of currency will not stop a world government from forming. It is not a problem to having a world government. The problem is having a world government trying to kill, what was it, 90% of the population. If someone could manage the whole world in a positive way, then I think most of us would not have a problem with a WG. But this NWO is not what we want.
  • Maya 2011/10/26 01:24:36
    Maya
    +4
  • DougD1945 2011/10/26 01:16:20
    DougD1945
    A dollar COIN seems so obvious!

Canada has — and actually uses — both a one dollar coin and a two dollar coin.
  • Pat 2011/10/25 23:11:42
    I need to know what it would look like and would the savings be worth it. Sounds like a false promise to save money.
  • David Laing 2011/10/25 23:08:45
    David Laing
    +2
    Yes but if the government would lessen to what we want.
    A coin that is NOT nearly similar to a quarter but what they gave us? Susan B, Satcha. Now the mandated Presidential [what a waist]. We have billions of these useless coins and due to the congress, we must continue to waist millions on congressional mandates to help lobbies!

From their own surveys, you need to simple feel the difference so the original proposal was to have a octal shaped coin some what similar to the British 50p. That way it can be the same basic size of a quarter but easy for the blind and anyone to tell the difference.

But what did we get [thanks to the lobbyist] a round coin so similar to a quarter you could very easily mistaken it for a quarter and most did. So, in their infinite wisdom, kept the same shape but changed the color to bronze. Why, they were stuck with the presses for the new coin.

So, why not do something smart and go back to the original proposal an octal 6 sided coin. Very easy to tell the difference but the vending lobbies will spend a lot of those paper dollars to prevent what commoner originally went for.

Yes we have the best congress lobbies money can buy.
  • J.L. 2011/10/25 23:01:17
    J.L.
    +1
    NO! The coins are too close to the quarter size. Makes for a heavier pocketbook or pocket full of coin! Same reason why I won't carry a 1/2 dollar ! You think you would get the hint treasury dept...all those coins you have in storage. Nobody wants to carry them. I use to work at a bank only the collectors would come in for them.
  • debadow 2011/10/25 21:43:01
    debadow
    Is Michelle Obama willing to give up vacations
  • Mark debadow 2011/10/26 00:09:11
    Mark
    +4
    I hope not...we all need vacations.....because I don't have vacation time doesn't mean I should stop others...let's gets what they have......I like the $1 coins by the way

2014/10/26 02:05:27