Are you trying too hard to be cool?

JodiHarris 2010/09/12 15:03:39
Related Topics: Conversation, Touch, Funny

The thing about going out of your way to look ‘cool’ is that
it usually doesn’t work. Truly cool people don’t need to work at it.
They walk, talk, dress and think ‘cool’ naturally. You know the type,
always up for a funny one liner at the right moment in a conversation, always at ease in company, relaxed and smiling in a non cheesy way as they sashay around.

The rest of us may well admire them, which is fair enough –
they are a rare breed – and we can certainly appreciate and enjoy their company. The danger, disaster, or worse still, sad silliness only starts when we think things like money, pretentiousness and ‘try hard’ behaviour can give us a green card into the house of cool. It can’t. It won’t. And it’s obvious.

Really cool people are cool because they have never thought about it. And that you can’t pretend.

The other day, for example, I was walking passed a museum I
know well, as it’s been under renovation for a good 3 years. Finally it
was opening day and people were arriving in posh cars, air kissing and mulling around outside. But the thing that stood out and looked more than a little silly was the sea of absolute black that they formed. No, It wasn’t a funeral and there were no women in Burkas either. But what a miserable sight! Other than the sheep mentality, that’s kinda sad in itself, I mean does no one dare risk wearing a bit of colour? Not even a scarf or a bangle? What’s the worst that could happen? That you be considered slightly interesting and not a crowd crawler? We get it when teens copy each other. They’re young and
insecure with hormones all over the place. But surely with age we have more confidence and experience. We know better than to think black alone will make us look cool and elegant. Or maybe not. So this got me thinking: when we try too hard to look cool, do we fail because…..

it’s Really Not That Cool to:
  • wear sunglasses inside – you will just look silly and trip over things;
  • fit into a size O or below. You will just look in need of
    being fed and people will feel sorry for you. They may even want to send you to a poor country to show you people who would desperately love to be able to eat, don’t give a toss for skinny jeans, and just want to get to the next day alive. Which leads to the point, “Why is excessively thin still so in?” Way uncool;
  • be in a reality TV program. You just look sad, silly, tacky, talentless, and desperate to be famous;
  • wear excessively high heels. Again constantly the fashion
    ‘in’ thing. If you can’t walk in them, other than doing damage to your back, you will just look silly;
  • wear black to a Prada fashion show. All the models will be in black on the runway as it is, so you’ll just be another non personality entity. Wear a bit of colour and you’ll probably ‘be’ the one photographed because you’ll stand out
  • buy or wear ‘all’ Prada, at any cost. Other than looking dull, people will think you’re store security;
  • have a nose thinner than your lips or breasts bigger than your bum. Silly;
  • look like a stunned mullet from excess facial surgery pull. More scary than silly;
  • think because your ridiculously rich you’re also cool. They
    often don’t go together. Check ‘Nouveua Riche Euro Trash’ or Rich Russians/ Oil Making Arabs for confirmation. Excess gold, diamond Rolex watches, clothes on your back worth more than a car – sometimes a house – do not make you cool. Competing with your rich friends over who has the most expensive accessories, in a world where most people are living on
    less than a dollar a day, is just vulgar, superficial, and you should be ashamed. In any case it’s not cool and money doesn’t teach you how to dress or decorate your house. Too much bling, and gold and garish extras have only one result. They make you look cheap;
  • be rich. The truth of the matter, as mentioned above, is
    that very few truly cool people are actually rich. Money seems to cancel out taste for some reason:
  • jump in front of the paps or always be caught leaving shops
    or restaurants by the paps (i.e. Posh – aka – Victoria Beckham). It is far cooler to at least pretend you haven’t expected them to be there or set it up. Try running to your car or hiding your face or something;
  • air kiss. You just look silly. If you see someone you know
    that you like you can touch them. They shouldn’t bite. If you see someone you know you don’t like, you can ignore them. And if they air kiss you, you are within your rights to tell, or signal to them, to kiss your ass;
  • strut around like you own the place. You are not the most
    important person in the room, just the most annoying. I suggest chicken
    dancing or walking like an Egyptian. Show you have a personality. You don’t have to take yourself too seriously. This is part of being cool, and you might even make friends and influence people in the process;
  • date a footballer. It just means you don’t think you’re cool
    enough to make it on your own and need somebody/thing to drop back on.

Read More: http://www.goodbyetv.com/?p=1759

• Just Jenn for Now 2010/09/19 09:41:50
    Just Jenn for Now
    +2
    I don't try to be cool or impress anyone... I just like to be myself. It's more honest... I prefer being honest than being fake just to fit in...

• SourCherry 2010/09/27 09:46:58
    SourCherry
    +1
    I won't lie. I do try to be cool but it comes naturally on good days and I never try to hard.
  • JodiHarris SourCherry 2010/09/27 09:47:54
    JodiHarris
    +1
    Good for you!
  • SourCherry JodiHarris 2010/09/27 09:57:59
    SourCherry
    Ha ha, thank you. Do you ever try to hard?
  • JodiHarris SourCherry 2010/09/27 17:55:57
    JodiHarris
    +1
    God all the time!
  • SourCherry JodiHarris 2010/09/27 19:29:53
    SourCherry
    +1
    ha ha!
  • RickLoosemore 2010/09/19 16:11:16
    RickLoosemore
    +1
    I Was Trying Fairly Hard A Few Weeks Ago , Got A New A/C Unit & Now The Weather's Taking A Break . ........Oh You Mean Stylish ... I'm Me , Thats That ....LOL
  • JodiHarris RickLoo... 2010/09/27 17:56:14
    JodiHarris
    LOL!!!!!
  • ☠ Cheryl ☮ 2010/09/19 14:30:52
    ☠ Cheryl ☮
    +1
    are you kidding me? I am the EPITOME of cool! ROFL.....Seriously....no, don't try...i am what I am, don't need to be or do anything to impress anyone. Take me as I am or stay the hell outta my face! =)
  • JodiHarris ☠ Cheryl ☮ 2010/09/19 15:56:59
    JodiHarris
    +1
    Cool! Well done to you!
  • Just Jenn for Now 2010/09/19 09:41:50
    Just Jenn for Now
    +2
  • JodiHarris Just Je... 2010/09/19 15:57:34
    JodiHarris
    The older I get, the more I enjoy being real honest and saying no to things I don't wanna do. That I think is cool!
  • captkirk999 2010/09/16 01:04:10
    captkirk999
    +1
    No. I be myself and that is cool enough for me.
  • merlinskiss 2010/09/13 22:22:13
    merlinskiss
    +1
    Being cool is not trying.
  • DollyVomit 2010/09/12 21:32:03
    DollyVomit
    +2
    I don't try to be anything. I'm just me.
  • ~Doll Princess~ 2010/09/12 20:24:14
    ~Doll Princess~
    +1
    There is no such thing as cool. We're all dorks in one way or another. Some just hide it better.
  • JodiHarris ~Doll P... 2010/09/16 12:47:48
    JodiHarris
    hehehe:)
  • I know... 2010/09/12 18:08:45
    I know...
    +1
    I stopped trying when I was 18. Thats when I realized that it is substance that makes you the most effective in life.
  • Sprout 2010/09/12 18:01:48
    Sprout
    +1
    I am cool so I don't have to try!
  • Fuzzymachineguns 2010/09/12 17:30:11
    Fuzzymachineguns
    +1
    tl;dr

but i do know what people to try too hard to be cool have no self-confidence in what they are or do, so they try to do and be what they see around them and being liked.
  • JodiHarris Fuzzyma... 2010/09/16 12:48:37
    JodiHarris
    Absolutely!
  • xxXXDarkAngelXXxx 2010/09/12 16:29:26
    xxXXDarkAngelXXxx
    +1
    no, and i don't care about that. i like me. whoever tries to be "cool" is an idiot
  • Todd 2010/09/12 16:19:06
    Todd
    +1
    I don't NEED to try... ahahha jkjk
  • erdo sero 2010/09/12 15:40:31
    erdo sero
    +1
    I don't want to be cool.
  • LesWaggoner BN 1 2010/09/12 15:39:45
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    +1
    The last thing in this life that I will ever be is cool under any circumstances.
  • JodiHarris LesWagg... 2010/09/12 15:48:00
    JodiHarris
    Cool!
  • pink bambi ~ In Muse I Trust ~ 2010/09/12 15:27:40 (edited)
    pink bambi ~ In Muse I Trust ~
    +1
    I don't try to be cool. People who try to be cool are the ones that are trapped in the hierarchical ideal of highschool. When I was in school, I honestly thought that popularity was for life. It was as if I thought that when I graduated, we would all congregate in our school class and the cool factor would still continue to dominate our lives. Well, it doesn't. It really doesn't and I wasted high school thinking that it does. Next time you look at a magazine, really look at it. Don't all of the celebrities just look like the biggest D-bags with huge ego's and a really desperate demeanor?

I am a nerd but that doesn't mean that I'm less of a person. I still work hard, party until I want to curl up and die and do all of the stupid things that normal people do. I just like books.
  • JodiHarris pink ba... 2010/09/12 15:35:28
    JodiHarris
    +1
    Well said!
  • pink ba... JodiHarris 2010/09/12 15:36:40
    pink bambi ~ In Muse I Trust ~
    +1
    I'm still fresh off the, "if you aren't cool, you shouldn't exist," wagon. Kids are so silly.
  • Matt 2010/09/12 15:24:54
    Matt
    +1
    Truly "cool" people set trends instead of following them ! They value substance over appearrance !
  • JodiHarris Matt 2010/09/12 15:35:56
    JodiHarris
    +1
    I couldnì't agree more!
  • METALheadMom 2010/09/12 15:13:10
    METALheadMom
    +1
    I had no idea people thought I was "cool" until I went to my 20 year reunion and had several people tell me that. I always thought of myself as a true individual just doing what I wanted to do - not what everyone was doing. All of my kids friends call me "the cool mom" - I dunno - could be cos I still am just me. reunion people true individual kids friends cool mom dunno cos
  • JodiHarris METALhe... 2010/09/12 15:36:52
    JodiHarris
    Exactly. You don't have to 'try' to be cool. You just are. Good for you!
  • RV ~ The Peacekeeper of PHAET 2010/09/12 15:07:39
    RV ~ The Peacekeeper of PHAET
    +1
    I don´t try to be cool I am who I am. Fu** the trend

2014/07/29 20:54:10