Are you sad to see Joshua Ledet leave American Idol

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/05/18 14:44:43
Yes, I'm sad to see him leave American Idol.
NO, I'm not sad to see him leave American idol

"American Idol" finalist Joshua Ledet won't be taking anyone to church during this season's finale next week, leaving bluesy rocker Phillip Phillips and budding diva Jessica Sanchez to compete for the title.

The 20-year-old powerhouse received a record number of standing ovations from the panel and has been proclaimed as one of the best contestants in the history of the show. So, coming in third place with the lowest total of the 90 million votes cast this week might come as a shock to some, but Ledet says it was more like a relief.

history lowest total 90 votes cast week shock ledet relief
American Idol Contender Joshua Ledet Felt 'Relief' After Eliminationledet relief american idol contender joshua ledet felt relief elimination

"I just felt relief," the soulful singer told MTV News backstage after the show. "As soon as they said Phillip was going on, I felt a lot of pressure came off of me and I was — I'm not going to say I was happy — but it sucks having a lot of pressure on you, knowing that you have to do this and that and this and that. But when they said I wasn't going on, I was just like, 'OK. Now I can get this song out of the way and then go home and go to sleep or do something fun.' "

But make no mistake: It wasn't just about getting his farewell song out of the way. After belting out "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" by James Brown, the Louisiana native claims he was so overwhelmed, he couldn't fully recall what the judges were saying to him when they came to console him after the show.

"I honestly don't remember what they were saying because I think I was so emotional," the preacher's son explained. "I just remember Jennifer [Lopez] telling me never to give up and that my career is going to go higher from here on out and to just keep believing in myself.

"Definitely, it gives me a lot of hope seeing Jennifer Hudson and Adam Lambert and Katharine McPhee, Chris Daughtry. All of these people that didn't win have had a lot of huge careers, so hopefully that can happen for me."

That being said, Ledet's career probably could take off if Jimmy Iovine has anything to do with it. For weeks, the show's music mentor has continuously hinted at signing the singer, even claiming to know the exact type of album he should make — a bit ironic, considering the Interscope head admitted wrongdoing by picking Mary J. Blige's "No More Drama" for the gospel sensation to perform before being voted off. Thankfully, though, Ledet has no regrets.

"I don't regret any performance that I've done on the show," Ledet said. "People can say one thing, but it's what I feel in my heart and how I feel about something. So, I don't think I'll let people tell me what to do as a person if it's not true to me in my heart.

"I definitely did like the 'No More Drama' song," he added. "It's not a lot of melody, but I don't think it's a competition song. It's just one of those great songs that you can perform at the Grammys or something."

true heart drama song melody competition song songs perform grammys
'Idol' Favorite Joshua Ledet Is Eliminatedmelody competition song songs perform grammys idol joshua ledet eliminated

Get your "Idol" fix on MTV News' "American Idol" page, where you'll find all the latest news, interviews and opinions.

• EmmaWatsonForever 2012/05/18 20:13:41
    EmmaWatsonForever
    I don't like him at all, but I would've rather seen him and phillip in the finale than Jessica. Jessica annoys me...
  • mr echo 2012/05/18 18:38:38
    mr echo
    that girl with the weird teeth i think her name is sanches really pisses me off for some reason
  • chgo 2012/05/18 15:01:14
    chgo
    The only talented ones on there now are Joshua and Sanchez.
  • BIG BAD... chgo 2012/05/18 16:02:23
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    That's true
  • Veritas 2012/05/18 14:56:15
    Veritas
    I think he is way more talented than Phillip Phillips.
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/05/18 14:46:50
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    NO, he is very good and I'm sure we will hear more out of this young man in the furture but Jessica Sanchez may win this time. Jessica Sanchez
  • chgo BIG BAD... 2012/05/18 15:00:10
    chgo
    I'm afraid Jessica won't win though (I hope she does). Ever wondered why that untalented, lackluster homeless-looking boy is still on there? what am I missing in him?

If you haven't by now learned yet, the only criteria to win American Idol:

1. Penis. Check!
    2. Caucasian. check!
    3. Guitar. Check!
    4. Southern Christian (evangelical = extra points). Check!
    5. Flannel open buttoned-down shirt. Check!
    6. Cougar/frau appeal. Check!

This country is messed up. If the girl doesn't win, I predict the world end in 2012.

2014/11/27 10:46:40