Are you annoyed when someone tries to correct you as if this is an composition class instead of Sodahead?

tblackb 2012/07/26 00:39:02
Related Topics: Class, SodaHead

• ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/07/26 14:40:03 (edited)
    no
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    Proper grammatical and punctual etiquette speaks volumes of one's psyche and character. And quite frankly, if you can't take the extra few seconds to make sure you're doing your best at representing those things, well then I know more about you than you'd probably like to me to know and more than you will probably actually admit.
  • Red 2012/07/26 08:17:05
  • ģhøṡτ øώl Red 2012/07/26 14:46:42
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    Why is so bad to expect people to perform at their potential capacity? Half of what is wrong with society is lack of principles and standards. It has been replaced by excuse making and unaccountability.
  • Red ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/07/26 18:19:08
  • tblackb Red 2012/07/26 18:43:45
    tblackb
    +1
    Let me jump back in here...the reason i posed the question is this, I have four college degrees (BS, MS. MAT, and Ed.S). I'm also a Ph.D candidate. In my world I'm considered highly educated. Thus, its considered extremely rude and unprofessional for someone like me to tell someone they lack intelligence because they don't have my level of formal education as I, you just don't do it.

Furthermore, I spend a lot of my time in an formal setting writing research papers that are grammatically correct, formatted correctly, and are otherwise academically up to par. Thus, when i'm not in that setting I don't necessarily want to do things in that way. I don't feel the need to proof every post I make to ensure that i spell every word correctly. In the grand scheme of things its just someones opinion (deconstructionism). Additionally, I'm usually watching a movie and/or on the phone (multitasking) while typing a post. Now, does that mean I lack intellectual ability; no. Does it mean that I'm a little lazy, perhaps. The point is its rude and lacks class for someone to go around correcting someone else in this type of an environment.....just my opinion.
  • ģhøṡτ øώl tblackb 2012/07/29 12:57:48
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    Proper grammatical and punctual etiquette speaks volumes of one's psyche and character. And as I stated previously, if you can't take the extra few seconds to make sure you're doing your best at representing those things (that are DIRECTLY representing you in the interest of being taken seriously), well then I know more about you than you'd probably like to me to know and more than you will probably actually admit. However, you admitted what I was clued into, which in turn puts up several other potential flags as well. Also, no one said anything in this string about anyone lacking intelligence. You can in fact tactfully correct someone grammatically or factually and at that point it is THEY who decide whether or not their intelligence has been insulted, which is actually their EGO being insulted. TRUE Intelligence is backed by wisdom and thus should not be insulted by an individual pointing toward a mistake. The impression you make upon people in this realm of communication does in fact serve as a representation of elements of your character, whether you like it or not. It is quite interesting to me, the myriad of ways you can come to know so much about people through things they didn't even realize were so telling.
  • tblackb ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/07/29 13:06:15
    tblackb
    not necessarily, i go to work every day wearing professional attire which usually means coat and tie. the last thing i want to do is wear a coat and tie on my days off. the act that i'm in a ph.d program, majoring in psychology, means i know how to write. just because i don't proof a post means noting to me. i really don't care if something gets transposed when i type it. i'm not the world's greatest typesets. nor do i care if the auto spell check on my computer uses the wrong word. if its an assignment that leads to a grade in a class which leads to a degree which leads to more job security; then yes I care but here not so much...
  • ģhøṡτ øώl tblackb 2012/07/29 13:21:59
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    I can understand not being enthusiastic about something from being inundated with it. But, the way I see it, there was a time when people were poised and took much care when expressing themselves in words. Now that we are drowned in technology, we care less and less. I choose to care more and more, thus "bucking the trend", as per usual. Ah! Look at me, being so telling. Heh.
  • ģhøṡτ øώl Red 2012/07/27 12:56:06 (edited)
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    I agree very much with that. I think things like tact and ethics are becoming like some kind of "dying art". But I also believe that we're not making sure that our youth understand and value things such as principles and virtues. People don't care. And with all of the children being born as results of totally irresponsible sex practices, it's almost like they don't even really have a chance. It makes me feel sad and worry a lot about the future. Society is already plagued enough as it is.
  • Red ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/07/27 17:01:24
  • ģhøṡτ øώl Red 2012/07/28 13:05:25
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    :-) It is an unwavering feeling of peace and confidence to have God in your life. I can't make it through a day without stopping to give thanks for SO many things. I talk aloud to Him sometimes. I know people think I am crazy. Heh.
  • Red ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/07/28 18:14:51
  • ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥ 2012/07/26 06:52:38
    ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥
    You said 'an' when you should have said 'a'

haha ^-^ I'm just joshin with ya.
  • TheTruth1313 2012/07/26 06:51:30
    TheTruth1313
    Sometimes, but, most of the time, it is nice to get the advice.
  • Jdogg 2012/07/26 04:30:47
    no
    Jdogg
    It's called the block button.
  • belle 2012/07/26 02:35:14
    yes
    belle
    Yes, especially when that is all that have as a lame come back comment.
  • Stardust 2012/07/26 01:54:55
  • Freeranger 2012/07/26 01:54:48
    Freeranger
    I feel there's a difference between nitpicking and critiquing incomplete sentences, horrid spelling, and incoherent pov's. I understand typo's, I understand honest mistakes, but when it's blatant, incoherent, and sloppy.....truthfully? I might get annoyed enough to say something.
    A cogent response is a terrible thing to waste.
  • YourCompanionCube 2012/07/26 01:52:27
    YourCompanionCube
    Don't capitalize all your words!
  • being me 2012/07/26 01:16:03
    yes
    being me
    +2
    Unless I am truly wrong then I will thank them for the info.
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/07/26 00:59:45
    yes
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    I never correct anyone unless they say something like "your an idiot" or try to talk down to you while being illiterate!
  • ElynnKy 2012/07/26 00:55:36
    yes
    ElynnKy
    +2
    Such people are intellectual snobs.
  • relic ElynnKy 2012/07/26 01:56:32 (edited)
  • Willski 2012/07/26 00:52:32
    no
    Willski
    not really.
    If they're accurately correcting things I've said, or my grammar, then I'm fine with it. I practically welcome it, I love to learn.
    However, if they're "correcting" stating their own opinion on somethig as fact, (e.g. the dozens people who try to correct me to christianity.)
  • I. Car Rus 2012/07/26 00:47:43
    no
    I. Car Rus
    +1
    Check this out...... strunk and white

And, you incorrectly used the indefinite article "an", it should have been "a composition class".
  • tblackb I. Car Rus 2012/07/26 00:58:20
    tblackb
    "A" comes before a consonant/consonant sound:

A bird
    A kite
    A helicopter
    A horse

"An" comes before a vowel/vowel sound:

An ant
    An ostrich
    An elevator
    Depending on where you are from, you can say "an historical event" if you only pronounce the "i" (you pronounce the vowel sound) and not the "h." That's how we say it in California, but we would write it as "a historical event."

thank you for making my point....classless!
  • I. Car Rus tblackb 2012/07/26 01:17:45
    I. Car Rus
    You can't provide a single literate example of an being used with composition. And, we speak English here in the east. The real point of your post is that constant poor spelling and unschooled grammar DETRACTS from the poster's point. I am not referring to typos, twit!
  • tblackb I. Car Rus 2012/07/26 01:24:35
    tblackb
    not worth it, waste of my time. its still rude and cloddish!
  • I. Car Rus tblackb 2012/07/26 02:26:34
    I. Car Rus
    well you caught me on a bad day. Peace be to ye.
  • Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~ 2012/07/26 00:45:21
    yes
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    +4
    Grammar Nazi's that usually have some typo in their post pretending to be better than you because they think they are right, hell yes they are annoying.
  • Stardust Kat ♪.B... 2012/07/26 01:57:07
  • Kat ♪.B... Stardust 2012/07/26 02:12:54
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    +1
    Gotta have some fun.
  • Stardust Kat ♪.B... 2012/07/26 02:36:13
  • Kat ♪.B... Stardust 2012/07/26 02:38:06
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    +1
    Some are just a pain, Seems to be what they live for.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/26 00:43:11
  • Lord Emperor Kami Guro Bage... 2012/07/26 00:42:58
    Lord Emperor Kami Guro Bagels Supreme Ruler of the Earth
    +1
    What you talkin bout tblackb?
  • tblackb Lord Em... 2012/07/26 00:46:56
    tblackb
    +1
    have you never heard the saying it is not only rude but is classless to correct someone? i.e if they use a word incorrectly or misspell a word and you go behind them and say the correct use or meaning of the word is this or you should have use that word...
  • Lord Em... tblackb 2012/07/26 00:52:23
    I remain blissfully ignorant of your dilemma.... Nah I know what you mean, my Junior year of High School I had four classes with the same English Teacher, she never shut up and always corrected people.... But one should always try to use proper spelling and grammar
  • tblackb Lord Em... 2012/07/26 00:55:20 (edited)
    tblackb
    just a question not that serious...
  • Lord Em... tblackb 2012/07/26 00:57:33
    There are no questions, only Bagels

2014/07/24 23:00:50