An appropriate time for bedtime?

kateisgod 2011/02/15 04:09:34
Related Topics: SodaHead
sleep is overrated.
necessary
For those who are indecisive.
..."a person’s basal sleep need – the amount of sleep our bodies need on a regular basis for optimal performance – and sleep debt, the accumulated sleep that is lost to poor sleep habits, sickness, awakenings due to environmental factors or other causes.
Two studies suggest that healthy adults have a basal sleep need of seven to eight hours every night, but where things get complicated is the interaction between the basal need and sleep debt.
For instance, you might meet your basal sleep need on any single night or a few nights in a row, but still have an unresolved sleep debt that may make you feel more sleepy and less alert at times, particularly in conjunction with circadian dips, those times in the 24-hour cycle when we are biologically programmed to be more sleepy and less alert, such as overnight hours and mid-afternoon.
You may feel overwhelmingly sleepy quite suddenly at these times, shortly before bedtime or feel sleepy upon awakening. The good news is that some research suggests that the accumulated sleep debt can be worked down or "paid off.""

So Sodahead, what do you think? Is there an amount that people truly need? Or is insomnia not half-bad?

Read More: http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-w...

• Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/01/13 02:11:23
  • Richard 2011/02/16 04:38:15
    necessary
    Richard
    +1
    Insomnia absolutely sucks. I worked shifts most of my life and often my body has no idea what time it is. Usually sleep only 4 or 5 hours at night and as you get older the 15 minute power naps turn into two hours.
    .
    .
  • carolynb 2011/02/15 13:55:10
    necessary
    carolynb
    +1
    i have a regular bedtime of 10pm and wake up at 5am. Even though I am now retired, I have kept the same habit. I am a morning person so I like to rise early and get my work done so I can do whatever I feel like later in the day.
  • Richard carolynb 2011/02/16 04:39:21
    Richard
    +1
    Always wished I could do that.
    .
    .
  • carolynb Richard 2011/02/16 12:01:22
    carolynb
    +1
    It is easy once you start doing it. I havent used an alarm clock in years.
  • npotter 2011/02/15 04:28:52
    sleep is overrated.
    npotter
    +1
    But it also depends on the person. Some people can get by with less than 8 hours regularly. I went years with getting only 5-6 hours/night.
  • kateisgod npotter 2011/02/15 04:32:04
    kateisgod
    +1
    right? lifestyle and environment are always factors in sleep, but "average" isn't quite average any longer.
  • npotter kateisgod 2011/02/15 04:42:00
    npotter
    Yes, lifestyle and environment does play a key role in this. I became accustomed during the years when my kids were young. But things like excessive alcohol takes its' toll on sleep, as does working 8 hours then going to night school and tending to the home front in the same day. There are also those who can take those 15-20 minute power naps and go another 8 hours.

I hope you are not one who's sleep deprived?
  • kateisgod npotter 2011/02/15 04:46:04
    kateisgod
    +1
    Deprived? Not on a regular basis. I come from a family of insomniacs so I'm not sure what normal even is any more. I'm also in the category of pulling off streaks of all nighters randomly because I can't sleep :/ I still sleep on a semi-regular basis, if that's normal-esque.
  • npotter kateisgod 2011/02/15 05:59:47
    npotter
    +1
    As long as you're getting enough to do well in school and have a great attitude that you do, I wouldn't call it deprived either. If you're able to make it work for you that's great. I'm sure you have things under control :)
  • kateisgod npotter 2011/02/16 00:38:40
    kateisgod
    +1
    I seem to- I guess that life happens and you just go with it. I'm doing okay in school for now; I could be doing better i suppose. I know my stuff though so it's alright :)
  • npotter kateisgod 2011/02/16 03:42:20
    npotter
    +1
    Ah, Life, that great transformer. What it does for one is so different to another. It is what makes us all unique in our own way, in our own right, in our own light.

I'm glad to see you know your stuff, lol. Is there a time where you go beyond your homework and seek more knowledge on any subject? Something that interests you enough to find more about it that isn't in your books from school? Just curious, I'm not trying to pry.
  • kateisgod npotter 2011/02/16 12:22:23
    kateisgod
    yeah- I do things outside of school like girl scouts, community service (I enjoy working@ the hospital) and sports... I guess outside of hw im in ap classes so that's about it for me for now
  • npotter kateisgod 2011/02/16 15:28:39
    npotter
    +1
    Good to see you're getting the variety of life, I applaud you (having a stagnant mind does no one any good). What kind of work do you give hospitals?
  • kateisgod npotter 2011/02/16 19:40:22
    kateisgod
    +1
    simple charity work. it's mostly cleaning bedpans and things they give to interns :/ okay i guess for now- i want to be an ER doctor when i'm older- people need help, and there's so few people willing to work under the pressure.
  • npotter kateisgod 2011/02/16 23:59:15
    npotter
    +1
    You will do very well with your goals. You're already ahead of the game because your choosing your field first, the income is a bonus because you are doing what you like and want. People do need help and you will be great at giving it to them. :)
  • kateisgod npotter 2011/02/17 00:43:42
    kateisgod
    +1
    thanks :) I still hope that I can get by on the same sleeping schedule i do now! Night time is the optimum time for my work- i tend to be a bit of a nocturnal creature... art, work and community service is best performed then- so i try to stay up... i like doing what i do.
  • npotter kateisgod 2011/02/17 00:53:35
    npotter
    +1
    You're welcome. Good luck to you with this goal.

2014/09/02 07:35:17