Youngest-Ever Best Actress Nominee Lands Musical Lead: Will Quvenzhané Wallis Make a Good Annie?

Film 2013/02/25 05:32:19
On Sunday Sony Pictures announced that Oscar-nominated Quvenzhané Wallis, the star of "Beasts of the Southern Wild," has landed the lead in Will Smith and Jay-Z’s upcoming adaptation of the musical “Annie.” Originally, Will Smith’s daughter Willow was set to play the part. However, after touring for “Whip My Hair” Willow wanted to take a break and “just be twelve.” Others have also speculated that Willow, who is approaching her thirteenth birthday, may have outgrown the part. In addition to her talent, nine-year-old Wallis, the youngest-ever nominee for Best Actress, will bring her relative youth to the role.

Sony’s Presdient of Production Hannah Minghelia said, “With the recent Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim, Quvenzhané Wallis is a true star and we believe her portrayal as Annie will make her a true worldwide star. She is an extraordinary young talent with an amazing range, not only as an actress but as a singer and dancer, and we can’t wait for audiences to further discover her.”

Will Gluck of “Easy A” and “Friends With Benefits” will direct this new “Annie,” which is aiming to release during the holiday season in 2014.

Read More: http://jezebel.com/5986551/quvenzhane-wallis-will-...

• MeiLin 2013/02/25 16:21:51 (edited)
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    MeiLin
    +8
    Quvenzhané Wallis (pronounced /kwəˈvɛnʒəneɪ/; kweh-VEN-jah-nay

Looked her up now know who she is and she will make a brilliant Annie! Thank you again for the continuous education, MG!

• Stephanie 2013/03/07 17:53:40
    Stephanie
    she will do just fine
  • Zoe Michele 2013/02/27 01:26:22
    Zoe Michele
    I'm sure she'll do fine, the question should be will it live up to the classic Annie we grew up with. Probably not.
  • FatherLiberty 2013/02/26 19:12:31
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    FatherLiberty
    No clue who she is and I wont see the musical. I dont support anything Jay-Z is associated with.
    Yes I think she will do great....as the director thinks so too.....I felt bad for her because she was nomimanted for the Oscar....but she never had that moment in the movie to really act....she is a good actress...but clearly that role was not Oscar worthy
  • Emily 2013/02/26 18:03:09
  • Jessie M 2013/02/26 16:21:24
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    Jessie M
    How about Justin Henry nominated for Kramer vs Kramer at the age of 8
    Now Shirley Temple was 6 when she won a Honorary Juvenile Award along with Vincent Winter (7 years old), Margaret OBrien (8 years old). This was before the Academy allowed a child to win a award, the feeling was a old actor could not win over a cute child.
  • SIMPATTYCO 2013/02/26 15:30:21
    SIMPATTYCO
    +1
    SHE IS SENSATIONAL
  • Ashley 2013/02/26 15:23:57
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    Ashley
    no idea who she is
  • liz 2013/02/26 13:42:14
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    liz
    shes cute, but she doesn't look like a Annie
  • Trish liz 2013/02/27 00:33:40
  • Glen McLeod 2013/02/26 13:00:04
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    Glen McLeod
    who's that? never heard of her...heard
  • Lorelei 2013/02/26 06:07:27
    Lorelei
    Probably, but her family needs to get her ego under control. I've seen other children at awards ceremonies and they have always kept a fairly low profile, Anna Pacquin, the little girl from True Grit and many others. A little excitement was expected but she was mugging and preening for the cameras relentlessly.

Parent should have reigned her in at some point. Being gracious is important. I know she's a child; that's why parents help them learn proper behavior. If they don't do so she'll be one of those Hollywood teens out of control someday.
  • rich 2013/02/26 03:08:49
    rich
    +1
    As good as any other Annie. Jaden Smith was a great Karate Kid!
  • Oly*Nicole 2013/02/26 02:07:41
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    Oly*Nicole
    honestly...who is she?
  • anne rolfe 2013/02/26 01:50:31
    anne rolfe
    +1
    I am sure she is a very talented little actress. I just didn't enjoy the movie she was nominated for.
  • Nichole 2013/02/26 01:04:02
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    Nichole
    +2
    Well, I looked her up and apparently she is from Louisiana. I'm just glad to finally know a name because I follow Samuel L Jackson on Twitter and he posted a pic of her and him, but I had no idea who she was.
  • *~The Doctor's Rose♥~* 2013/02/26 00:39:15
    *~The Doctor's Rose♥~*
    +3
    She is a talented young girl and very adorable!
  • COMALite J 2013/02/26 00:29:05 (edited)
    COMALite J
    +4
    For those asking who she is:

This movie was produced, directed, and starred in by unknowns, not connected with Hollywood. It was filmed on 16mm film. Yet it was nominated for four of the most important Oscars, including Best Actress in a Leading Role for Quvenzhané Wallis, who was only five years old when she got the part (she was technically a year too young for the casting call, but they were blown away by her), and six when it was filmed. Oh, yeah, and Best Director and even Best Picture.

It also won a lot of other awards before the Oscars.
  • 1776gwash 2013/02/25 23:11:07
  • COMALite J 1776gwash 2013/02/26 00:49:41 (edited)
    COMALite J
    +5
    You might want to tell these critics that:

Regarding Wallis' performance as Hushpuppy: it isn't one. It's a fact. Onscreen she simply is, a being as elemental, incontestable and strong as the advancing aurochs. She was 6 when the film was shot, yet the ferociousness of her presence — the anger and wisdom inside her — suggest someone older or ageless." — Amy Biancolli, San Francisco Chronicle … the best reason to wade into this (let’s be honest) challenging but hugely rewarding film is Quvenzhané Wallis — a 6-year-old with no acting experience at the time of filming — who’s unforgettable as the film’s fierce young protagonist…. It’s the effortlessly charismatic Wallis who deserves a Best Actress Oscar nomination, — Lou Lumenick, New York Post, describing his second viewing of the film. … flat-out amazement … There’s no way you won't be captivated by Wallis, chosen ahead of 3,500 candidates to play the tiny folk hero who narrates the story. Her performance in this deceptively small film is a towering achievement. — Peter Travers, Rolling Stone Played by Quvenzhané Wallis, an untrained sprite who holds the camera’s attention with a charismatic poise that might make grown-up movie stars weep in envy, Hushpuppy is an American original, a rambunctious blend of individualism and...

Regarding Wallis' performance as Hushpuppy: it isn't one. It's a fact. Onscreen she simply is, a being as elemental, incontestable and strong as the advancing aurochs. She was 6 when the film was shot, yet the ferociousness of her presence — the anger and wisdom inside her — suggest someone older or ageless."
    — Amy Biancolli, San Francisco Chronicle

… the best reason to wade into this (let’s be honest) challenging but hugely rewarding film is Quvenzhané Wallis — a 6-year-old with no acting experience at the time of filming — who’s unforgettable as the film’s fierce young protagonist…. It’s the effortlessly charismatic Wallis who deserves a Best Actress Oscar nomination,
    — Lou Lumenick, New York Post, describing his second viewing of the film.

… flat-out amazement … There’s no way you won't be captivated by Wallis, chosen ahead of 3,500 candidates to play the tiny folk hero who narrates the story. Her performance in this deceptively small film is a towering achievement.
    — Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Played by Quvenzhané Wallis, an untrained sprite who holds the camera’s attention with a charismatic poise that might make grown-up movie stars weep in envy, Hushpuppy is an American original, a rambunctious blend of individualism and fellow feeling.
    — A.O. Scott, The New York Times

[Hushpuppy is] played by a force of nature named Quvenzhané Wallis…. She is so uniquely and particularly herself that I wonder if the movie would have been possible without her.
    — Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

• MeiLin COMALite J 2013/02/26 03:19:05 (edited)
    MeiLin
    +6
    the 21st century was too much for 1776 - deactivated,
  • Nat Turner 1776gwash 2013/02/26 13:12:47
    Nat Turner
    +1
    Speak for yourself.
  • SIMPATTYCO 1776gwash 2013/02/26 15:32:33
    SIMPATTYCO
    +1
    CAN TOO
  • Richard M. Nixon 2013/02/25 22:53:19
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    Richard M. Nixon
    +2
    Pretty girl. We all wish her every break and success!

pretty girl break success
  • Gypsymoth 2013/02/25 22:33:31
    Gypsymoth
    +3
    The 44% who selected "who is she", need to upgrade their movie watching selections..."beasts of the wild south", was overlooked by Hollywood, shame on them
  • Nichole Gypsymoth 2013/02/26 01:09:17
    Nichole
    +1
    What is the movie about? I watched the trailer, but still have no idea.
  • rich Nichole 2013/02/26 03:31:48
    rich
    +1
    That's because all it is, is a freaking nightmare of squalor, filth, backwardness and neglect. I hated the thirty minutes I saw before I turned it off.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2013/02/25 22:21:12
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +5
    Well let me go see her in Beasts of the Southern Wind. It appears to be highly recommended. I really had only heard her name.
  • COMALite J littleb... 2013/02/26 00:00:44
    COMALite J
    +4
    It’s playing now on most On-Demand home services.
  • littleb... COMALite J 2013/02/26 00:02:29
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +3
    Thanks for mentioning that.
  • Sophie littleb... 2013/02/26 00:16:39 (edited)
    Sophie
    +2
    I saw this movie last week by accident. My friend and I went to go see The Impossible, the tsunami movie. After about 1/2 hour, she leans over and whispers to me "I think we are in the wrong theatre". I stare blankly at the screen and think, hmmm, there are people and water is everywhere.....?? Yep, wrong move, it was Beasts of the Southern Wild.
  • MeiLin Sophie 2013/02/26 03:21:00
    MeiLin
    +2
    funny, that period before you are finally sure, this is not the film we came to see....
  • _Casey_Logan_ 2013/02/25 21:31:53
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    _Casey_Logan_
    +1
    I've never heard of her or the movie she played in. I'm also never gonna watch Annie again that's pretty much all I watched in Chorus in middle school along with " The Whiz" which is the black version of The Wizard of Oz. but I liked it better then the original one, it has Micheal Jackson in it :D

wiz wizz
  • Sterling 2013/02/25 21:03:13
    Who is Quvenzhané Wallis?
    Sterling
    +1
    I have no idea if she'll be good since I've never seen her before.
  • Nat Turner 2013/02/25 20:23:23 (edited)
    Nat Turner
    +2
    Yes! if you are going too make a black version of the film.She is too cute!
  • Farbiger 2013/02/25 20:01:57 (edited)
  • COMALite J Farbiger 2013/02/26 00:09:20 (edited)
    COMALite J
    +3
    While ethnicism and xenophobia have been around as long as civilization, true racism required knowing about all the continents of the world and the various ethnicities that inhabited them, to form the concept of dividing all of humanity into a small handful of “races” (a false concept in and of itself).

This happened after the middle of the previous millennium (seventeenth century), thanks to the work of a handful of European men, including the man known to this day as the Father of Anthropology. Johann Friedrich Blumenbach. He’s the man who invented the terms “caucasoid,” “negroid,” and “mongoloid” (he actually had a fourth “race,” “malay”).

Blumenbach based his conclusions on his own examinations of people of various “races,” but later came to realize that his sample sizes were way too small and his conclusions unjustified. He repudiated his work, but his repudiation wasn’t nearly as useful to the political, economic, and religious leaders who found great value in a “scientific” reason to treat “savages” as not truly human beings, as his prior work was. So that was pretty much ignored.

Anyway, racism pretty much began in the previous millennium. It really should’ve stayed there. If anything should’ve been left behind, and been relegated to, “That’s sooooo last millennium!”, it should’ve been racism.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2013/02/25 19:58:48
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +3
    CUTE, SPUNKY, SHARP ....YES!
  • Kat 2013/02/25 19:45:00 (edited)
    Kat
    +3
    Why not? My niece played Annie at a school play because she was the best choice. She is half black.
  • SIMPATTYCO Kat 2013/02/26 15:35:33
    SIMPATTYCO
    MORE ORPHANS ARE BLACK ANYWAY~

2014/12/22 08:33:10