Would you like to see more private money in public schools?

L.A. Times 2012/12/13 07:04:35
More than 30 incoming medical school students will get a full ride to UCLA's David Geffen School of Medicine thanks to a $100 million gift from the school's benefactor.

The donation by Geffen, a philanthropist and entertainment executive, will create a scholarship fund to cover the recipients' entire cost of medical school, including tuition, room and board, books and other expenses.

ucla david geffen

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ucla-medsc...

• Liberty Blade 2012/12/13 23:10:28 (edited)
    Liberty Blade
    +11
    I'd like to see an entire abolition of the public school system and an increase in private schools.

P.S. How the heck does this have 1000 votes on it when there are only 11 opinions?

• BlueStone 2012/12/17 21:10:10
    BlueStone
    Government funding of public school has been less than adequate for quite some time. Better government (public) funding would be a good investment. Better public schools leads to better educated graduates and better educated graduates leads to better paying jobs and taxpayers who pay more taxes. With government funding at cuurent levels, public schools need all the private money they can attract and then some.
  • PapaBC 2012/12/17 18:07:43
    PapaBC
    I would like to see the TAX money used more wisely than it is. I would think the majority of it is wasted on crap by the administration or states and not use in the classrooms where it belongs.
  • Janet(: 2012/12/17 17:57:44
    Janet(:
    Not all public schools are bad. My school for example is one of the best in the county, sometimes better than the private school around here. I see the other schools nearby who have poor scores yet they receive much more money. While there are other great performing schools like mine who barely receive anything.
  • RandyScott (Party of One) 2012/12/17 17:32:30
    RandyScott (Party of One)
    I'd like to see more public money available to Private Schools. Parents that send their children to Private Schools still pay taxes to support public Schools that their children do not use. Just seems wrong to me, to have to pay for something you get no benefit from.
  • Bureauc 0Bamao 2012/12/17 15:11:55
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    What I'd like to see is less Federal Gov't (strings attached) money. Leave the money in the communities to be done with as they see fit.
  • Boudicea 2012/12/17 13:20:56
    Boudicea
    +2
    I'd like to see more private money in PRIVATE schools. Take the government out of the equation entirely
  • Sean 2012/12/17 12:07:15
    Sean
    +1
    I'd like to see the public school system go away. Public schools are the single largest reason for the apathy of the general public to the denigration of the United States Constitution's principals.
  • Tasine 2012/12/17 11:23:15
    Tasine
    More money doesn't make better education. Rather than private money being tossed into the toilet in public schools, use those dollars for private schools that know how to run a business. No one in the US Government knows diddly about MAKING money - only how to WASTE money.
  • Sir Bud. 2012/12/17 05:19:39
    Sir Bud.
    +2
    Into Public schools yes-but not Private Schools for the elite.
  • American☆Atheist 2012/12/17 04:51:44
    American☆Atheist
    People who hate public schools are the same people who think evolution and GW are lies, just remember that.
  • CAPISCE 2012/12/17 02:53:15
    CAPISCE
    +2
    Why not?
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/12/17 01:21:59
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    Look no further than the school systems in Gary, East St Louis, Newark, Philly, Detroit, Oakland etc and see where any money is being wasted on a wholesale basis public or private.

Teachers Unions don't like "charter schools" where children actually have a chance.
  • Freeranger 2012/12/17 00:54:20
    Freeranger
    +2
    Oh why not. Start by passing the plate in Hollyweird. I'm sure they're all willing to do their fare share by kickin' in a few million a piece right? Yeah........right.
    yeah  right gif
  • Resp 2012/12/16 23:34:36
    Resp
    Nobody wants to invest in a failing enterprise with knuckleheads who cant' even read.
  • Sissy 2012/12/16 20:25:56
    Sissy
    +2
    Absolutely not. Most students going to private schools are from wealthy families and if they find the public schools benneath them, they can pay their own way. The Public Schools are dying from lack of support and funding and whether you accept it or not, that's where the vast majority of our country's children attend.
  • Runaway ✩ Sissy 2012/12/16 22:09:50
    Runaway ✩
    +2
    Public schools need to die. They are an utter failure. The whole problem began when the states, then the federal government, decided that they were qualified to dictate to local communities what must be taught, and what must not be taught.

Your local school should be under the control of YOU and YOUR NEIGHBORS. Politicians at the state capitol and in Washington have plenty to do without butting into your business in your local community.
  • Sissy Runaway ✩ 2012/12/21 17:43:05
    Sissy
    The public schools are mostly run by communities. The trouble is, there are wealthier communities and poorer ones, there are communities who have large student populations and smaller ones and the federal Education Dept was created to make a more level playing field for all students. The states' have this unseemly "habit" of putting education at the lowest point in their list of priorities and thus massive cuts have been made. Our state's governor cut $1 billion dollars from state aids that included but was not limited to tech ed which was retraining and re-tooling people to find jobs in this new century.
  • John 2012/12/16 18:58:44
    John
    Corporate power and influence is already too powerful in this country. The thought of them setting the agend for the education of our kids is very scary. If. Private money really wants to help, how about donations targeted on specific needs such as books, equipment and security with no other strings attached.
  • jere.chievres 2012/12/16 18:37:48
    jere.chievres
    +3
    I went to private schools and sent my sone to them also.
  • Sissy jere.ch... 2012/12/21 17:44:09
    Sissy
    +1
    That's fine and its your and your family's choice. It also needed to be funded by you personally.
  • jere.ch... Sissy 2012/12/21 17:47:28
    jere.chievres
    +1
    It was, and it was worth it.
  • william keegan 2012/12/16 18:15:44
    william keegan
    +1
    The country would be much better off if all of the government run schools closed their doors permanently. Private money could then be put to good use in the resultant privately funded and run educational system without the government’s leftist agenda being pushed down the throats of the nation’s youth!
  • Sissy william... 2012/12/21 17:47:22
    Sissy
    And who would run these all-private schools in places like WATTS, Chicago, East St. Louis, Chicago's south side? Presently the private schools in our state have it made. They can take just the most brilliant of students, the greatest athletes and the ones with the stellar behaviors. If a student should (gulp) become a behavior or special needs "problem", they can kick them back into the Public Schools. What to do with the tens of millions of others?
  • william... Sissy 2012/12/22 08:04:16
    william keegan
    Even in today's economic environment privately run schools educate their students at less than half of the costs of government run schools. If there was a demonstrated need for additional schools that could be operated at a profit by their owners, they would be established. Without the requirement to pay taxes to operate expensive government schools, the people would be in a better position to pay private tuition. Schools would enroll students based on the school's perceived ability to provide an effective education, competition for students would enforce excellence that is absent in today’s government schools. As for unruly students, if their behavior proved to be disruptive of the required educational environment, they would be expelled, and their parents would have to assume the responsibility to educate them.
  • Sissy william... 2012/12/22 10:53:46
    Sissy
    From the outside you may think that you have great ideas in how to educated our country's kids. But, from a practical,workable solution, it is no solution at all. For many of the students attending school today, teachers and administrators deal with far more than merely teaching them to read and write. From the vast number of broken and dysfunctional homes, teachers and staff are the only stable factors in many of their lives. Teachers are mentors, surrogate parents, counselors,and defenders

. Our school has an Awards Night at the end of each year for the ten outstanding seniors. Its a big deal because its an Honor Night where faculty, parents, administrators and the honored student come together and scholarships and special honors are presented. Pictures in the paper with the student and their and proud moms' and dads' who get to bask in their child's achievements. I was asked to "represent" the "parent part" of an outstanding young man who in spite of a dysfunctional, unhappy home, he became determined to make something of his life and from the time he entered school, I saw a something in him that I found so appealing because he was so sad and seemed to be reaching out for someone to just care a little. Sometimes that reaching out was inappropriate behavior and de...

. Our school has an Awards Night at the end of each year for the ten outstanding seniors. Its a big deal because its an Honor Night where faculty, parents, administrators and the honored student come together and scholarships and special honors are presented. Pictures in the paper with the student and their and proud moms' and dads' who get to bask in their child's achievements. I was asked to "represent" the "parent part" of an outstanding young man who in spite of a dysfunctional, unhappy home, he became determined to make something of his life and from the time he entered school, I saw a something in him that I found so appealing because he was so sad and seemed to be reaching out for someone to just care a little. Sometimes that reaching out was inappropriate behavior and defiance but I found myself tucking him under my wing making sure he had every opportunity there was to succeed. It wasn't easy at first because he had some real emotional issues and all thru the years, I never saw a parent on Parent Day, at a school conference, or school function of any kind. He would come to school early and stay late. When he asked if I would be his "parent" on this memorable night, I remember asking him if his parents weren't going to attend and he said simply "no", "they couldn't make it and besides, he really didn't even want them too."

In a perfect world, each child would have a caring, engaged parent(s) whose whole lives revolved around them and worked to bring up stable, functioning, kids who were given every opportunity to be the best they could possibly be. Unfortunately that's not the case and if you think that private schools can begin to manage the huge issues facing communities or have the "manpower" to do so, I'm afraid you're sorely mistaken.
  • william... Sissy 2012/12/23 10:16:41
    william keegan
    +1
    In today's government schools, the teachers, by and large, are not as dedicated as you seem to indicate. I'm not intimating that they don't exist at all, but in hundreds of examples around the country, teachers will abandon their students at the drop of a hat to march on city hall or the state capitol in an attempt to get higher pay or more vacation etc. Last year the teachers in Wisconsin shut down the entire state's government schools in protest of the legislature's attempt to save the state from financial bankruptcy. Also in Chicago, the teachers put their students in last place when it came to their fight for increased COLA's.

In example after example government school teachers have indicated that they are union members first and teachers last. Again there are isolated dedicated educators in their numbers, but by and large the teachers in government run schools are in it for pay and benefits well ahead of students. The opposite is true for the majority of teachers in private schools; they are there because they are dedicated to the scholastic advancement of their students, especially in schools operated in conjunction with church groups, while their pay and benefits are important, their student’s educational advancement takes primacy.

Absent government run schools there wil...

Absent government run schools there will be sufficient privately run schools to insure the nation’s youth have the educational opportunities required, and at lower cost to taxpayers and parents. In addition the schools will be there to educate their students and not there to indoctrinate their charges with politically correct nonsense prevalent in today’s government run schools.
  • Sissy william... 2012/12/23 10:52:04
    Sissy
    We will have to chalk this one up to we simply disagree. I would only say several things. I live in Wisconsin and Scott Walker never said in his campaign for governor that he was going to cut One billion dollars from schools including the tech ed programs that taught re-tooling and re-training of people who had lost their jobs, or that he would not go after the police and firemen's unions, (most probably because they had endorsed his candidacy). I don't know much about the pay and benefits of private school teachers. Since most of the students come from families with high incomes, I would hope there was decent compensation. I do know that religious school teachers take far less, have no retirement and little health benefits, at least that's my experience of knowledge of those employees. You might want to remember that they too have families to support and you would really want to go into this field because it wouldn't be for the pay as their educated counterparts with equal education make far more over their life time in their fields than an educator.

Educating our population should be at the top of the priority list at the state and federal government. Diverting funds to the private schools for students whose parents can well afford their child's education shouldn't even be considered.
  • william... Sissy 2012/12/23 20:18:33
    william keegan
    Not being from Wisconsin, I don't have intimate knowledge of what Gov. Walker campaigned on, but when the state legislature was about to pass a law that changed the way public unions bargained for pay & benefits, the teachers there abandoned their classrooms in a heartbeat to go to Madison to protest the move. While there, the teachers en masse, were getting fraudulent "sick" excuses in order to continue to be paid while away from work. That indicated to me that the teachers in the government schools in Wisconsin are neither dedicated to their profession nor honest in their dealings with their employers.

Regarding the wage levels for private school teachers, no one is forcing any of them to teach. If pay is a motivator and only private schools existed, the marketplace will force pay rates to an acceptable level.

Your last comment, in order to be true would require an amendment to the constitution, today there is no constitutional authority for the federal government to be involved in the education field at all! I'm not familiar with the 50 state constitutions to know whether or not the individual states have the authority or not. If there were no government run schools there would be no diversion of funds to take place. Additionally the constitution does not have any provisions ...

Your last comment, in order to be true would require an amendment to the constitution, today there is no constitutional authority for the federal government to be involved in the education field at all! I'm not familiar with the 50 state constitutions to know whether or not the individual states have the authority or not. If there were no government run schools there would be no diversion of funds to take place. Additionally the constitution does not have any provisions regarding the withholding of funds or services to those that can "afford" to pay for them themselves. A provision authorizing such would be considered to be anti-freedom and would probably violate the 14th Amendment.
  • Sissy william... 2012/12/24 12:25:09 (edited)
    Sissy
    Workers in Wis did not have to join the public unions, it was totally a choice. The only reason why Walker and the legtislature went after it is because the union most always supported democratic candidates....except the police and firemen (who supported Walker) and their union was exempted.

Teaching for many is a "calling", a lot like ministers who also have to expend a lot of money for education and get nowhere near what other equally trained people do. But when you see light bulbs go off in little heads, or a haphazardly wrapped gift on your desk, or a cookie brought to you made in cooking class, or an "invite" to a birthday party, you wouldn't trade that fat paycheck your counterparts get for the world.

In Thomas Jefferson's papers, he commented that the Constitution and BOR should be reviewed every 20 years to adapt to the changing world and the country as a whole. Constitutional purists would have us regressing if they got their way and I don't think for a minute, the majority of our country's citizens or more importantly its electorate will allow that to happen. We saw a slice of that on Nov. 6th when there was a real choice where we wanted this country to go....forward.
  • william... Sissy 2012/12/24 16:26:12
    william keegan
    The reason Gov. Walker and the Wisconsin Legislature went after the public service unions was because the unions were bankrupting the state. If you were open minded enough to realize that in less than a year since the law was passed and signed the financial fortunes of the state have been reversed and Wisconsin is well on its way to financial stability!

The only Democrat v. Republican aspect to the Wisconsin situation is that the Democrats were willing to see the state into bankruptcy in order to protect their public service unions, and the Republicans recognized just where the problems were located and sought to fix them.

You and those that think as you do, should try to organize a new Constitutional Convention and draw up a new Constitution and try to get it ratified. Until then the COTUS is the supreme law of the land and needs to be complied with.
  • Sissy william... 2012/12/25 12:44:18 (edited)
    Sissy
    You obviously did not read my post very thoroughly. Simply, the unions are choice. You don't have to join them. The president of the legislature even admitted on a national public venue that the reason for going after the union is because smashing them would mean less money going to democratic campaigns.

One of Walker's immediate orders after he cut a billion dollars from our education system, was to eliminate the Dept. of Commerce, making it a quasi private dept that was allotted tens of millions of dollars for tax breaks for any company coming to Wis. Two years later, we have become the 10th lowest state in the country for job creation, millions of dollars unaccounted for and millions of more loans not being properly processed and now a special investigaive team looking for those loans as those getting them, haven't been forthcoming in admitting they have the money or making any effort paying it back.

Please don't regale me with the attributes of Scott Walker. I can give you a boatload of mis-governing, incompetence and malfeasance this state has endured from this college-dropout who left college for cheating.
  • william... Sissy 2012/12/25 15:17:28
    william keegan
    Again, not being from Wisconsin, I am not familiar with all of the nuances regarding the politics there, but according to media reports, the whole labor controversy was prompted, by the legislature passing a law signed by Gov. Walker that limited the collective bargaining rights of public employees, and ended union dues check off for state employees.

In response to the above teachers from all over the state chose to abandon their students in order to protest in Madison. Those teachers put their union membership ahead of the welfare of their students.

My opinion is that private school teachers are more interested in their students than in joining a union. And that our youth would be better served with private schools rather than government run schools. In that scenario, it wouldn’t matter who was elected governor and the schools would be locally operated, if parents were not satisfied with the results at any particular school they could choose another for their children. The schools in order to be able to continue in operation would be required to provide the students with an exceptional level of academic excellence.
  • Randy 2012/12/16 16:21:32
    Randy
    +4
    The public schools are in sheer agony as we speak, and we only keep shaving the budget more and more and more. It makes me fear for the future of my grandkids!! It's a damn shame!!
  • Bonita Colley 2012/12/16 15:30:50
    Bonita Colley
    +1
    I would like to see the education system responsibility and control given back to the states, where it is suppose to be! The Federal Government is not to be involved with Education. When the government took over our scores and quality continues to drop!
  • Kigan 2012/12/16 15:13:55
    Kigan
    Would need to be anonymous, and there would need to be guidelines on how to use it.
  • freethinker 2012/12/16 15:06:09
    freethinker
    +2
    As Long as they Get Rid of the Thug NEA!!
  • Chris 2012/12/16 10:12:07
    Chris
    +2
    It's best to keep schools owned by the People and for the People.... not the interests of a few private donors who want some non-sense like creationism taught or the values of generation's past that are obsolete. When you introduce private funds you often get corruption.
  • mae 2012/12/16 03:05:35
    mae
    +1
    Not really, but it will happen whether I like it or not, and has been happening for a long time.
  • Prophet 2012/12/15 23:46:47
    Prophet
    I would like to see more private money go to private schools for scholarships.
  • True~Male 2012/12/15 22:06:48
    True~Male
    +5
    We need " FOR PROFIT" schools -- Privatize everything and run it like a corperation --Teachers in public schools are over paid -- janitors making $18 to $20 an hour cleaning the place up ??

2014/07/28 04:28:42