Woman on man rape in fiction

Urbanwanderer 2012/11/04 00:03:44
I am making a draft of a fantasy story in which the protagonist is a gay man and is on a quest to fight a vile dictator who has supernatural abilities. On the way he forms a relationship with a gorgeous soldier, but they are tragically separated and then he later befriends a young woman and they have a great mutual respect and she knows all about his relationship and his sexuality. Then the protagonist's life is endangered by the dark designs of the archvillain and she has to use a magical artefact to empower herself so as to save him, but using this device temporarily sends her into a manic state and she rapes him while he is still immobile. I had in mind images of the phenomena of Sleep Paralysis and Hypnogoga and wanted the scene to recall them. When suffering sleep paralysis, people can see dream figments resembling aliens or monsters while they are unable to move. In a bygone era when superstitions were different, many people dreamt about witches appearing and pouncing on them while they couldn't move. So the protagonist can see the distorted image of his friend, her appearance freakishly altered, with her faculty for reason gone, straddling him and shrieking at him.

I managed to get a gay man's opinion of this idea and he said that his skin crawled at the idea of a gay man being raped by a woman. I had not intended it that way. It's not at all supposed to evoke the abominable "corrective rape" idea where e.g. lesbians get ganged raped by men who are bigoted deviants. I had expected it to evoke pathos for both characters. It is supposed to be traumatic for the protagonist, but it is also very distressing for his friend when her rational thinking is restored. She had not been in her right mind at the time! If she is very sorry indeed, I thought that would make it seem better. It certainly changes the course of the story and the aftermath becomes the central point. So everyone, does this sound like it evokes pathos or is it really not suitable? Thanks.

• Jim 2012/11/04 00:50:42 (edited)
    It makes my skin crawl.
    Jim
    The whole concept is a messy collection of ill-conceived gimmicks and militant social role reversals. The fine art of creating great stories is completely lost and no trace of it remains in the popular kulture. You should be totally face palmed to offer up such a plot line and characters. The whole story idea just smells of too many bizarre fusion fantasy games. It's a grab fest of freak characters that are morphed into story lines only a bored and socially-alienated teenager would come up with.

I have a BETTER IDEA. Form a tragic hero story around your gay character and lose the dominatrix. One of the secrets of great story telling is to keep sex out of it or make it as fleeting as possible! A modern technique to consider is the Anti-Hero template for your character. How about watching SERPICO and use that idea to create a story in the year of 2017 where the gay character is a cop who must infiltrate a White House call boy ring and ends up busting Romney? The Tragic angle is that this cop is a Log Cabin Republican and supported the Romney 2016 campaign in his district. Can he bust the man he helped get elected??? Watch the movies, Serpico and Nixon, to get some ideas for your outline.

Just FYI, there was a huge scandal that broke over the homosexual call boy ring that operated out of the Bush Sr White House! It was all over the Washington Times back around 1989 as I remember.
  • Urbanwa... Jim 2012/11/04 09:30:47
    Urbanwanderer
    The original George Bush hired the services of male prostitutes? Or he ran a ring of male prostitution? Well that story outline is something to consider although it need not be set in the US.

And oi! I don't appreciate being told I should be face palmed.
  • Jim Urbanwa... 2012/11/04 13:30:03 (edited)
    Jim
    The face palm is something you do to yourself. It is not a violent act. It is an expression of embarrassment or astonishment. Just think, "OMG, I can't believe I did...whatever" and then your hand covers your face. "Face palm" is the current buzzword for that.

To find the best example of the story, Copy/Paste, "Growing List of Republican Politician Child Molesters (UPDATE 3: Religion & Sex Crime)"

I take it you're in the U.K. Then I invite you to set up Tony Blair to be the one who provides cover and arranges doors to be unlocked for call boys to entertain powerful politicians and foreign dignitaries after midnight. Same idea.

Again, I recommend the movie Serpico for ideas. Show how your gay cop character could find himself entangled as he is given an undercover job to infiltrate the call boy ring that *unexpectedly* leads straight to Tony Blair himself. Your gay character might be discovered by Blair's insiders and given a choice to go along and be promoted to keep his mouth shut. OR, your gay cop could play the tragic anti-hero role and do the right thing, even though it means busting Tony Blair for his coverup of a heinous crime that would rock the foundations of England itself.

Your gay tragic hero may even find himself shot for tampering with the tentacles of po...

Your gay tragic hero may even find himself shot for tampering with the tentacles of power. Perhaps his male lover finds a way into the inner sanctum of the Blair government and offers to help your gay cop close the deal. The gay cop's lover is killed but, THAT'S what breaks it all open and the Blair government is forced to resign and Blair is caught at Heathrow attempting to flee justice.

Try that story line!
  • Hirnungah Mancandy 2012/11/04 00:43:27
    It would have to be handled very carefully.
    Hirnungah Mancandy
    Preferably with her and a horrible bloody death ; or ; him staying limp and her failing .
  • Urbanwa... Hirnung... 2012/11/04 10:37:22
    Urbanwanderer
    Well that does depend on how culpable she can be shown as being.
  • Hirnung... Urbanwa... 2012/11/04 17:29:32 (edited)
    Hirnungah Mancandy
    I suppose it really depends on whether his Incapacitated condition would make spontaneous erections believable . I just have a serious problem with the whole idea , especially if it does nothing to serve the plot of the story . There is a rape scene in Magics Price By Mercedes Lackey , but the whole thing is handled in retrospect .
    ............ good luck with the story
  • Urbanwa... Hirnung... 2012/11/04 21:41:38
    Urbanwanderer
    It can be glossed over, but if it needs to be believable then it should be described how she strokes and squeezes his penis in exactly the right way to set it off. It is not gratuitous, it does change the course of the story. She develops stalking tendencies after he leaves her. It introduces a completely new kind of hazard.
  • Hirnung... Urbanwa... 2012/11/04 22:04:10
    Hirnungah Mancandy
    Tell me this is'nt going to turn into one of those " oh my god , pussy is fabulous '' stories , please .
  • Urbanwa... Hirnung... 2012/11/04 22:59:34
    Urbanwanderer
    erm no... she becomes a character who scares him! He would never willingly have sex with a woman. She respects his wishes not to have to see her again - at first. But then is driven to once again, using the same devices which impairs her reasoning and tries to pursue him. It's something else for the protagonist to worry about, but he remembers that they had endured things together so it is mixed up and painful for him to have to see her as a hazard. The archvillain actually diminishes in importance.
  • Hirnung... Urbanwa... 2012/11/05 01:37:26
    Hirnungah Mancandy
    WOW ... um OK ... good luck with that .
  • Zuggi 2012/11/04 00:05:56
    It would not work well.
    Zuggi
    +2
    Quick hint re: fiction.

Rape almost never works as a literary device. It's either done in a super-creepy way or mishandled.

2014/04/18 10:46:31