Wish More Stars Were Like Gary Sinise?

SodaHead Film 2011/06/30 13:00:00
Gary Sinise, perhaps best known for his Oscar-nominated role as Vietnam survivor Lt. Dan in "Forrest Gump," is bringing the military back to his career -- or rather, giving back to the military through his career.

On July 4, the 56-year-old actor is releasing a documentary called "Lt. Dan Band: For the Common Good," which combines Sinise's interest in music with his passion for the troops.

And that's not even the best part.

Jonathan Flora, who directed the documentary, tells Fox411, "The heart of this movie is really giving back to those who are willing to lay down their lives for this nation. Even the act of streaming the movie [which costs $3.99]. One out of every four dollars is going back to the Gary Sinise Foundation, so that he can continue doing what he’s doing."

According to FOX News, the Gary Sinise foundation supports a collection of charities and foundations, including the the United Service Organizations and Operation International Children.

Flora added, "It’s really our men and women that are the stars of this movie ... This isn’t a praise piece about Gary. This is following Gary and the band, using them as a vehicle to meet the men and women in uniform."

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/06/29/ne...

• cmdrbnd007 2011/06/30 13:28:19
    cmdrbnd007
    +11
    It's a pleasure to see an actor that isn't so caught up in him or herself and gives so much of his time to the troops. At one time most entertainers were patriotic and showed love for their country but anymore it has become passe.

• elijahin24 2011/07/01 17:16:09
    elijahin24
    It should be noted, that there are other stars who are also very supportive of us (the troops), but show their support without fan-fare. For one example one VERY famous, oscar-winning actor, upon learning that there was not enough housing for families near a major military hospital, simply got out the check-book and wrote a check to build another building which would hold up to 800 families.
    This actor didn't want to be named, and I only know because my former commander (with whom I'm still in touch) was there when the transaction took place.
    Athletes like Bo Jackson, Charles Barkley and Ronnie Lott have also been generous with their time, their money and their ability to produce money-raising memorabilia; on behalf of the military and veterans.
  • TruBluTopaz 2011/07/01 16:43:44
    TruBluTopaz
    He's not your typical celebrity. He talks the talk and walks the walk in regards to supporting his chosen charities. Most stars don't.
  • ELLIE 2011/07/01 15:38:08 (edited)
    ELLIE
    I like him, he has quality that others lack.
  • Natasha 2011/07/01 11:07:01
    Natasha
    Definitely!
  • Epistemically Justified -- BN7 2011/07/01 09:48:00
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    Great guy with a solid sense of what matters.
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2011/07/01 07:03:49
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    I just love and admire Gary Sinise. What a neat man, as well as a true American Patriot.
  • Chukroast 2011/07/01 06:19:24
    Chukroast
    Truly nice guys are hard to find in the entertainment business. Here's a guy that follows Shakespeare's advice: "To thine own self be true!"
  • California Jones 2011/07/01 05:43:56
    California Jones
    Gary's cool. Most celebs are NOT.
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2011/07/01 04:23:05
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    Big Hearted man
  • ernest debrew 2011/07/01 03:55:17
    ernest debrew
    +1
    It seems as though the older people become, the more caring they are.

So the youngsters may be selfish and self-centered.
  • patriot 2011/07/01 03:53:08
    patriot
    +2
    He is a great American and role model for our kids. FINALLY someone decent out of TV land. Compare him to Jeanne Gerafalo. Language alone puts him far above the tramp.
  • baboula patriot 2011/07/01 04:39:32
    baboula
    +2
    That broad is something else. I still think that "Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior" failed because of her. It was just like Sunday Night Football on NBC which was going downhill because of Olberman but once they got rid of him, the ratings went up for SNF.
  • patriot baboula 2011/07/01 04:42:16
    patriot
    +1
    I wouldn't watch the show because of her. She just creeps me out.
  • baboula patriot 2011/07/01 05:37:53
    baboula
    +2
    same here. I can't watch Pelosi or Obama on t.v. either. Although for some reason I saw the last show and her character was being held captive by a serial killer and it ends with what the viewer is to assume is her being shot. If CBS had renewed it, she probably wouldn't have been back.
  • patriot baboula 2011/07/01 22:21:56
    patriot
    Ahhhhh-breaks my heart. I haven't listened to BO in several months now. He just lies and it's not worth the rage.
  • Jackie 2011/07/01 03:34:48
    Jackie
    Go, Gary!!!
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2011/07/01 03:17:18
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +1
    Not just yes an Emphatic YES...

• Lerro DeHazel 2011/07/01 01:49:14
    Lerro DeHazel
    +2
    Yes, I like this guy. He is an American Patriot . . .
  • zbacku 2011/07/01 01:35:03
    zbacku
    +2
    A truly great American first, then a star.
  • akgold 2011/06/30 23:34:37
    akgold
    +2
    It would be nice if more PEOPLE were like Sinise.
  • conservyT akgold 2011/07/01 02:40:10
    conservyT
    +2
    I'd like it if there were more people like him in Hollywood.
  • wamcalif 2011/06/30 22:55:33
    wamcalif
    +1
    I always thought he'd be excellent in a remake (as much as I hat remakes) of one of my favorite movies, The Treasure of Sierra Madre". I see Robert Duvall as the old guy (Walter Houston role) and could never think of anyone who could play the Bogart role. Maybe Samuel Jackson could handle it.

walter houston role play bogart role samuel jackson handle treasure of sierra madre
  • prosperhappily 2011/06/30 22:36:46
    prosperhappily
    +5
    Wow, an actor who shows the military some respect and discipline. Hell yes, I wish there were more like him.
  • ernest ... prosper... 2011/07/01 03:57:32
    ernest debrew
    +1
    Just think, him, Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, etc.

yeah, these celebs are old fashioned and more talented than some of the ones today like Ryan Reynolds, Michael Cera, whoever I do not really give a $hit.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/06/30 22:35:31
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +3
    HE SEEMS SO LEVEL HEADED.....
  • TCFla 2011/06/30 22:09:39
    TCFla
    +4
    He's a caring man, a patriot and a great actor!
  • Lena 2011/06/30 22:04:05
    Lena
    +4
    A good man and a wonderful true actor.
  • conservyT 2011/06/30 21:50:36
    conservyT
    +4
    Sadly, we missed out on “Lt. Dan Band ‘s” concert here where we live and are currently stationed; Fort Bliss, TX. From what I’ve learned about him, is that he’s truly a genuine all American guy that really does care about the American servicemen/women. He’s also a great actor and one of my favorites. Too bad, Hollywood isn’t able to make more people like him; I guess either you’re a good person or not before you come to Hollywood, unafraid to take a stand.
  • holdenferall 2011/06/30 21:38:37
    holdenferall
    +3
    This guy volunteers for and hangs out with our troops all the time.

Gee, I wonder which way he votes.....
  • Glfer65 2011/06/30 21:23:34
    Glfer65
    +3
    Gary along with Tom Hanks are true patriots of our country. Both of them know what it is to be a part of something bigger then themselves and are proud to be a US citizen. I believe more stars would be more than willing to help if it were not for obligations that they have to keep.

I realize many stars can do this but in any event if you don't know what it is like to be somebody who has hundreds of people wanting a piece of you than don't say anything at all.

Given the chance stars would make the effort to salute our soldiers. Many have done tours for the USO. The thing is we don't see it on TV like back in the days of Bob Hope and his famous tours.

Thank you Gary for taking time out of your busy life to show the support WE all feel in our military.
  • conservyT Glfer65 2011/06/30 22:00:54
    conservyT
    +2
    Tom Hanks? Really, I've never heard of anything that he has done for servicemen/women.

I know for a fact that Sinise has; I'm a military wife and we live on a military post.

However, I've never heard of Hanks doing anything for the military guys/gals, let alone the military families, although, I could be mistake.
  • DOMINO conservyT 2011/06/30 23:48:53
    DOMINO
    +2
    Hanks is a typical Hollywood Leftist pinhead....
  • conservyT DOMINO 2011/07/01 02:34:01
    conservyT
    +1
    Those were my thoughts too.
  • Glfer65 DOMINO 2011/07/01 16:01:15
    Glfer65
    You might want to rethink your thoughts about him. Here is an article about him donating his car for Welcome Back Veteran program. He does more than you think. He just doesn't see a need to have all the attention on him.

http://www.eifoundation.org/p...
  • Glfer65 conservyT 2011/07/01 15:59:52
    Glfer65
    Just researched some info and found this. Tom Hanks donated his custom Toyota Prius for auction to help Welcome Back Veterans program. He is not as bad as you think. He also has done a documentary on wars and the people who have served to show us the bravery of our soldiers.

http://www.eifoundation.org/p...
  • conservyT Glfer65 2011/07/01 18:49:43
    conservyT
    Gary Sinise goes beyond the call of duty when it comes to showing his gratitude to All servicemen/women, so putting Tom Hanks in the likes of Mr. Sinise is an injustice; these two guys are Not on the same playing level when it come to their support of our American servicemen/women.

I also read the article that you provided and as for Tom Hanks onetime donation of a 2004 Prius from a guy who makes millions on his films is laughable.

In addition, all those other Hollywood celebrities that have done the same as Hanks, a onetime donation/appearance is greatly appreciated, but once again Not in the same likes of Mr. Sinise.

In all fairness, I haven’t seen Hanks documentary, therefore, I can Not comment on his feelings towards the military, yet I’m not convinced that this guy is a supporter of any causes dealing with our American troops; sorry that’s just the feeling I get from him and many other Hollywood celebrities.
  • Glfer65 conservyT 2011/07/02 03:42:39
    Glfer65
    Sounds as if you hate all of Hollywood. Tom is in the same group as Gary. I bet he has donated more money than you imagine. I have yet to hear of any negative publicity on him or his wife so I would have to say he is one of the good guys.

Also remember there was I believe I will have to do more research where Tom and Gary were on together for a show of support. Gary does do a lot for them but that is Gary.

As for Tom he probably does a lot that we don't know about simply because maybe he does not want the attention on him. The focus is on the troops. Think about that before you slamming actors/actress'.
  • conservyT Glfer65 2011/07/02 17:21:50
    conservyT
    Excuse me, but I'm a Military Wife and a former Solider myself and I Live this life every day, so why don’t you think about that before you have the boldness of writing what you have written.

Moreover, you’re obviously a HOLLYWOOD GROUPIE and for that matter YOU want to justify what they stand for and I wouldn’t be surprised if you watch Michael Moore’s films too.

Furthermore, you’re unable to read and digest what I have written, so GO AWAY since You can’t understand a word that I have written!
  • Glfer65 conservyT 2011/07/02 22:15:44 (edited)
    Glfer65
    LOL, I love it. You automatically think I am a groupie? Your words I understand. But to group Tom into the ones who just do it for publicity PPPHHFTFTTT.

I want to thank you for your service and your husband too. And yet you seem to have me pegged for watching the leftist movies. I just see things in a different light not of the left or the right but more in a reasonable sense.

To pick on someone who may or may not do as much as Gary does not make sense. As I said Tom may not want the publicity and probably does a lot.

Maybe if you would understand when someone has a different view maybe you would see where they are coming from.

Again thank you for your service.

Plus there is no need to shout.
  • conservyT Glfer65 2011/07/03 17:06:11
    conservyT
    Picking on Tom Hanks, are you serious? This guy has so much money that whatever I say or not about him, oh let’s just say he’ll be just fine. You're the one taking it to the extreme; I take it You’re a Fan.

Now, had you stated that Hanks donated to some Green Movement I wouldn’t even bother contesting it. Hanks is more likely to be passionate about the earth, after all, he did donate a 2004 custom made Prius for the Vets; LOL!

Moreover, I don’t know if You have any idea what it’s like being a member of the Armed Force or the effects it has on the families (spouses & children) that have to follow them for the call of duty. This is why it sickens me to hear of Hollywood acting as if they give a DAM about the troops and their families. So when anyone tries to compare Gary Sinise with Hanks or other such celebrities by putting them in the same light it’s just wrong. Gary Sinise is truly a genuine all around guy; sadly we don’t have more like him in Hollywood today.

Furthermore, Please save me your pity and keep praising the likes of your Tom Hanks and the rest of ill Hollywood. As for all servicemen/women and families, we have learned to do without pity and keep the fight going for the sake of our Country. God Bless...

2014/04/16 22:22:36