Will the tiny turbo be a big winner for Ford?

L.A. Times 2012/11/26 22:47:51

• flrdsgns 2012/11/27 04:04:18
    flrdsgns
    +1
    It looks good so far, I hope it's a huge success
  • Helmholtz 2012/11/27 02:04:58
    Helmholtz
    +1
    I hope so.
  • Yes
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    Look around, Ford is selling these EcoBoost motors left and right. Good on gas and powerful. I have the Ecoboost in my truck and if you do not drive it like an idiot it does really well on fuel. It will out-pull almost any gas motor on the road. Ford claims the 5.0 ecoboost will have pulling power like a Diesel with great full economy. We will see. The folks at the GM dealer we are currently working on say GM is now working on a similar motor because of Fords success.
  • Peewee ... Gยเtคг ... 2012/11/27 02:18:49
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    This must be new, I didn't see it as an option when I bought my 11 Flex. Ford has really improved as a company from where they were.
  • Gยเtคг ... Peewee ... 2012/11/28 01:28:41
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    yeah they didnt have that option for the flex yet. I believe only the f150's and the explorers had the option. But like anything, dont buy the 1st year of anything. lol
    Thats why i waited to buy the 12 model
  • Peewee ... Gยเtคг ... 2012/11/28 03:24:05
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    did you get a flex?
  • Gยเtคг ... Peewee ... 2012/11/28 18:43:35
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    no an F150, but i do like the flex's. we may in a few years when we trade her Yukon in either the flex or the explorer
  • Peewee ... Gยเtคг ... 2012/11/28 20:58:22
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Flex comes with awd but I didn't get that option. No real need for that because we have a 4wd F150 as our farm truck. I love my Flex! I think they're really awesome looking.
  • Gยเtคг ... Peewee ... 2012/11/28 23:47:46
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    I did not like them when they first came out, but they have made many improvements since then and they no longer look like they were trying to make another car like those Cubes and scions
  • Jim Gยเtคг ... 2012/11/28 02:45:15
    Jim
    +1
    How is Goober down at the Mayberry gas station going to fix one of these EcoBoost cars? I'll keep my VW Beetle a little while longer!

My Bug
  • Gยเtคг ... Jim 2012/11/28 02:57:28
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    well a VW Beetle isn't going to carry my tools to the jobsite or pull my trailer to the jobsite
  • Jim Gยเtคг ... 2012/11/29 17:14:49
    Jim
    No tree-hugging EcoBoost on THIS truck!
    Sanford and Son
  • Gยเtคг ... Jim 2012/11/29 20:58:34
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    Si i guess your answer is to spend my paycheck fueling my vehicle. Why would i do that when i can pull more with my new truck and use less fuel. No brainer if you ask me.
  • Jim Gยเtคг ... 2012/11/30 01:27:31
    Jim
    Whatever works for you. I just have a Luddite reaction to technical extravagence.
  • Jim 2012/11/26 23:25:16 (edited)
    Jim
    +1
    There are too many buttplugs, cubes, and insects on wheels. The rolling freak show has to stop. The anti-social car-hating cretins, who create these awful styles, need to be frog-marched out the door in disgrace!

I'd like for Ford to bring back the classic Ford sedan. Tried and true three-box layout on a frame. Engine in the front, drive axle in the back. And not so bloated with soccer mom features that a man can't drive it. And not so complex that it can't be maintained by a normal man with normal mechanical skills.
    +2
    Ford has expanded its "EcoBoost" engine range down to a little ONE (1) liter 3 cylinder engine. The next step in the "EcoBoost" program will most likely be putting the 3.5L version into the Mustang and then a 4.6L or maybe a 5.0L HO (High Output) 500hp "EcoBoost" engine into the New Mustang Platform in 2014.

The NEW Lincoln / Crown Vic replacement will be out in 2015 as a 2016 model so we can look forward to something really special there as well. This is also going to be a "World Platform" that will provide multiple vehicles off it as well.

Lots happening at FORD.
  • Peewee ... sjalan 2012/11/27 02:15:55
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    That's why I switched from VW to Ford :-) And because they didn't sell their soul to Satan.
  • sjalan Peewee ... 2012/11/27 16:34:44
    If you are referring the the Auto Bailout program, you are quite wrong.

FORD Motor Credit Corporation took a $6 billion dollar infusion of funds to offset the huge loses it incurred in the fall and spring of 2008/09. It was done under a different part of the programs but never the less they took the funds. Had FORD not taken the funds they would have had no place to finance their sales because NO ONE was financing auto loans at that time except their own finance units, that includes GM and Chrysler.

FORD has since paid 100% of that loan back to the feds

GM has bought back about 1/2 of the stock owned by the Treasury. They are due to buy back another 25% in 2013 and he balance in 2014.

Chrysler/Fiat has paid off another large chunk of the outstanding debt and is not 63% owner of Chrysler. Their next two steps are to buy 100% of the remaining in three separate purchases.

The net is that the US Government did the correct thing in supporting over 2.4 million jobs in the US.
  • Peewee ... sjalan 2012/11/27 16:52:32
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    I did not know that about Ford.
  • sjalan Peewee ... 2012/11/27 17:15:21
    +1
    Most people don't. They had just mortgaged the even the FORD logo in order to retool for the next big consolidation of platforms, going to a totally WORLD platform manufacturing process. One design for each platform world wide has cut their costs by over $5 billion dollars in vehicle development and shortened lead times by over 18 months.

FORD's only REAL worldwide competitor is really VW not GM or Toyota. It is my personal belief that FORD will become the #1 auto manufacturer within the next 5 years IF they have the will to do so.
  • Peewee ... sjalan 2012/11/28 02:36:56
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    That's a smart move. I also like their line up of vehicles. I drove diesel Rabbits....50 mpg and I was driving 800-900 miles a week. The last one had 475k miles on it when I sold it and the guy drove it another years before it lost compression from wear. Then I switched to a Jetta wagon and what a great car that was. Unbelievable what would fit into it. I agree with you about VW being Ford's competitor.
  • sjalan Peewee ... 2012/11/28 02:45:43
    +1
    I have owned VW's most of my life. On the Eurovan we had over 700K miles with two engines and two transmissions. Great van! To bad they don't have it back in the states now I'd by another one. The Chrysler Town and Country is nothing like the VW and gets LOUSY mileage out of the brakes.

Ford's new Transit Connect is a little to small and the Full Size Transit is to big. I'd really like to see them put together a short wheel base Transit with the EcoBoost V6 from the F150. Now that would be a kick ass van.
  • Peewee ... sjalan 2012/11/28 03:29:28
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    And all those soccer moms will be out there ram-rodding all over town.
  • sjalan Peewee ... 2012/11/28 03:39:46
    +1
    They do already in the 4dr F150 and the New Explorer and Flex! The SHO Taurus, New Explorer, the Flex and the Edge all share the basic platform. They are just setup for the specific use each is aimed at.

There is a rumor that FORD is going to bring out a PU on this platform that will be a light duty chassis like the Honda PU. Talk about a soccer mom vehicle. Classy with balls.

2014/04/24 03:02:27