Will "Sharknado" inspire similar movies on the big screen?

L.A. Times 2013/07/12 18:59:43
Related Topics: Sharknado
“Sharks. Tornado. Sharknado.” That, right there, was the entire promo ad for the Syfy channel’s latest campy, poorly produced, shamefully acted, and horribly written masterpiece. Yes. Masterpiece.

Look, I’m a seasoned vet when it comes to watching Syfy’s unbelievably bad but awesome hits. Hits like “Sharktopus” (“A half-shark, half-octopus creature creates terror in Mexico”) and “Dinoshark” (a giant shark trapped below the Earth’s surface for thousands of years is set free by oil drilling and terrorizes California), but "Sharknado" was something different. Because unlike the rest of Syfy’s repertoire of painfully cheesy shark tales, this one had social media in a complete, well, feeding frenzy.

According to Craig Engler, the senior vice president of Syfy Digital and voice of the @Syfy Twitter account, the hashtag #Sharknado appeared 387,000 times on Twitter on Thursday night, hitting 5,000 tweets per minute at its peak.

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-t...

• LadySesshomaru 2013/07/26 15:42:17
    LadySesshomaru
    Sadly
  • Flamingolady 2013/07/17 12:52:12
    Flamingolady
    I think the big screen movies like Jaws have inspired these on Syfy. We watched all those movies in a row a while back! They are addictive, and I have no idea why. We thought some were decent, and some just lousy. Especially the one where Richard Dreyfus gets eaten in the first few minutes. Predictable, some real inconceivable plots, but still great to watch.
  • Cat 2013/07/17 03:58:30
    Cat
    Yes but only if it makes lots of money this first time.
  • Sick Boy 2013/07/17 00:40:52
    Sick Boy
  • Psychology101 2013/07/16 07:52:49
    Psychology101
    +1
    "Horribly written masterpiece"? What the fudge? Who would actually want to go see a bunch of sharks coming out of a tornado? I don't know what to say...
  • Silverlocust 2013/07/16 06:42:51
    Silverlocust
    +1
    "Suenami!" ... An earth tremor sets off a gigantic wave that dumps hundreds of thousands of litigation-maddened California attorneys onto the unsuspecting shores of Tahiti.

"Gophergeddon" .... Countless, furry denizens of the Underworld are unleashed on humanity to punish us for our sins.

"Zom-bot-Ga" ... A horrendous, screeching, brain munching she-devil automaton invades the peaceful homes of America via its tv screens.

Don't tell me there isn't a market out there.
  • Flaming... Silverl... 2013/07/17 12:48:56
    Flamingolady
    +1
    Honey Boo Boo, Wedding Divas, Model Runway Zombies, oh, man, we could think of some incredible horror shows!!!
  • EllЕ 2013/07/16 03:46:41
    EllЕ
    I hope not.
    I like science fiction & it should include science.
    Science without fiction is awesome, science with fiction is fun, fiction without science is ridiculous.
  • TooSweet 2013/07/16 01:01:18
  • Adam 2013/07/15 21:55:50
    Adam
    +1
    Its unlikely. The appeal of movies like this is that it IS low budget, low quality schlock. That has its place. Throw in a big budget, and it loses all of its charms. Remember Snakes on a Plane? Remember how the memes and the jokes surrounding it were 10 times funnier and more enjoyable than the movie itself? Leave this sort of B movie cult classic to the SyFy channels and the passionate, broke newbies. They will make stuff worth watching. Big Hollywood movies need to focus on making more movies like Pacific Rim, and less jumping on the bandwagons of poorly executed, highly recognizable, stale IPs.
  • Cleaver62 2013/07/15 21:35:47
    Cleaver62
    It may be the worst movie ever made. It is too bad that more of the people who talked about it didn't actually watch it.
  • debs com 2013/07/15 20:14:20
    debs com
    +1
    It is not an inspiration...it is a copy.....Sharktopus.....Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus....Dinoshark...Mega Shark Vs Crocosaurus .....Mega Python vs. Gatoroid.... were all there first...in fine B-Movie tradition.... just because it had a bit of social media on the side hardly makes it ground breaking....still....it made some money for some people....
  • ronbo 2013/07/15 18:34:04
    ronbo
    +1
    The SYFY channel has a slew of modern B-type movies it has put out in recent years which were intended to air only on SYFY as part of their pot luck lineup of weekend entertainment. Some of the movies are absurd and funny at the same time. Others a little far fetched but entertaining. A few a bit slow and boring. Sort of a rehash of the 1950s version B flicks but with modern settings. You,d be surprised at how many well known actors appear in them.
  • TheDevian 2013/07/15 18:11:04
    TheDevian
    I hope not, but that is the trend they usually follow...
  • Brendakp 2013/07/15 15:47:37
    Brendakp
    +2
    I LOVE watching cheesy Scifi movies. I watched this and it cracked me up. I watched this one the other night, and it wasn't bad. The Scifi channel is great.

Paul Bunyon sci fi movie
  • TooSweet Brendakp 2013/07/16 00:59:04
    TooSweet
    +2
    I watched that just the other day.lmao.
  • Elephan... Brendakp 2013/07/16 04:33:08
    Elephant Lord
    +1
    I watched this a few days ago. It was pretty good as far as cheesy monster movies go. wyvern movie
  • Brendakp Elephan... 2013/07/16 18:39:33
    Brendakp
    +1
    A movie I couldn't bring myself to watch was this, it was too painful.

battledogs
  • Elephan... Brendakp 2013/07/17 02:04:37
    Elephant Lord
    +1
    Sometimes you CAN judge a movie by its poster.
  • _-T3x4S_M4D3-_ 2013/07/15 15:13:53
  • All American 2013/07/15 14:08:20
    All American
    Success spawns imitaters.
  • debs com All Ame... 2013/07/15 20:16:44
    debs com
    +4
    especially in the USA.... 90% of your sit-coms are copies from other countries.... thank heaven you made "the office" soooo much better (that is irony for everyone who isn't from educated Vermont)
  • LockiNinja 2013/07/15 09:04:56
    LockiNinja
    I wouldn't pay to see it in the theaters.
  • srini 2013/07/15 08:23:36
    srini
    The era for such films has come and went!
  • Zach 2013/07/15 07:55:45
    Zach
    +1
    The TV film was a massive hit on twitter, but actually pulled in average numbers for a Syfy movie.
  • Platinum Fangs 2013/07/15 05:50:01
    Platinum Fangs
    Why would any theater want to commit this atrocious form of career suicide?

"According to Craig Engler, the senior vice president of Syfy Digital and voice of the @Syfy Twitter account, the hashtag #Sharknado appeared 387,000 times on Twitter on Thursday night, hitting 5,000 tweets per minute at its peak."

Who gives a damn? Who cares how much this film was re-tweeted? It doesn't equate to viewers. It doesn't equate ratings. It doesn't equate revenue. It's a select few spreading the word on how atrocious both this movie and the channel that dared produce it are.

If twitter is the best that any movie and channel can do, it should represent more or less a death knell.
  • RH 2013/07/15 04:19:37
    RH
    But I'll agree to the Masterpiece part...

• Augure3VI RH 2013/07/16 04:16:37 (edited)
  • Rebel [SHP] 2013/07/15 03:09:16
    Rebel [SHP]
    This looks and sounds terrible. I highly doubt it'll survive any venture outside of cable TV.
  • Ed 2013/07/14 23:24:31
    Ed
    Pffffft, Please the only thing missing was a shark driving General Lee down Rodeo Drive, yeah I watched it for free but I would not pay a dime for anything coming out of Hollywood now a days unless it's a Denzel Washington, John Voight, Chuk Norris, Robert D Jr. etc. much less a SIFY Sharknado remake. Sharknado is not a comedy but it keeps you watching just to see how stupider it can get.
    General Lee car
  • chaoskitty123 2013/07/14 23:01:56
    chaoskitty123
    I watched the show because nothing else was on that I wanted to see and to be very honest, it was one of the dumbest movies yet that I've seen on SyFy.

Basic premise, you have cyclones in the sea lifting sharks out of the ocean and tossing them inland where they basically become landsharks in the old Chevy Chase Saturday Night Live sense of the word.

First, if you threw a shark like that it would kill them because they're just skin and cartilage. They can't move backwards, turn them on their back and you paralyze them. And basically, you won't see them chewing through the roofs of cars or bouncing around attacking people like in the movie.

Basically, sharks were being thrown at people and they killed people.

Will this inspire a big screen movie?

Those saying no might be surprised but Chiller actually created a movie about monster fish killing people that they decided to release in theaters. The simple fact is that it was so cheap to make that if they make any sales the movie has paid for itself, it will then go to dvd and finally show on either Chiller or one of the premium pay channels.

It's a money making gimmick like what they did with the original Battlestar Galactica airing it in theaters in Canada to get the money to pay for getting the series into production.

...

Will this inspire a big screen movie?

But god I hope this doesn't inspire SyFy to make movies like this for the big screen or it will destroy the film industry. For what movie tickets cost these days, the last thing you want to do is go to see a movie that looks interesting because of Twitter and find it's pure garbage.

For all the talk, most forget that people were Tweeting because they liked the name, most ridiculed the movie and talked about how bad it was.

What's so sad is that SyFy's movies aren't that bad when it comes to effects and even making the movie. I loved old cheesy B movies but these are so poorly written that it's like they want us to be dumbed down and stupid.

How many of you remember Skyline?

This movie was made to prove a point as the producers made a big budget movie that would have cost the major studios close to $100 million dollars. They spent $10 million dollars to make the entire movie and it took in over $66 million dollars with over $11 million in it's opening weekend paying all the production costs and turning a 10% profit in just three days. The Strause Brothers weren't trying to make a big box office smash based on story, however, as they were focused on the effects and acting which were very well done... but essentially, it was a classic B movie in regard to the story which is what a lot of people felt disappointed by as they thought the movie was meant to have a top notch story when the Strause Brothers were trying to prove they could make a blockbuster "type" movie when they were trying to prove the opposite as they turned a B movie into a box office smash.

Look at Disney which spent $250 million on John Carter of Mars which finally took in a profit after a lot of reairing the movie overseas and dvd sales... but they actually lost money because of the Watchmen factor in relation to sharing profits with distributors and everyone else who had their hands in the pot. They did the same thing with the Lone Ranger movie investing $225 million and no one sees this one earning back the money spent on it because American westerns don't do well in foreign box offices which were the only thing that pulled John Carter to over $283 million total box office.

Then you have the Will Smiths After Earth which was a domestic flop but you'd think the $130 million dollar movie turning a total $214 million return when foreign sales are added in would make it a success... not exactly as foreign box office is shared with foreign movie theaters and distribution groups. Even with $214 million dollars world wide, it actually lost money for that reason and Will Smiths reputation was severely damaged by the movies failure. In this case, the movie was of no better quality than Skyline and was heavily criticized because Smith made it very clear he was doing this to try making his son Jaden a top Hollywood star.

Like the Discovery Network banking on Oprah Winfrey to make one of their networks a success, it simply doesn't work that way as Oprah may have had a good show but managing a network proved an overwhelming failure. Her only success so far has been bringing in Tyler Perry and turning some of the production over to him in creating his own shows on her network... he has talent for creating hit shows, Oprah obviously doesn't and Discovery would do better turning the OWN network into the TPN as in Tyler Perry Network.

SyFy fails because unlike Skyline which was intended to be a classic B movie (meaning they were seriously trying to make a good movie), SyFy's failure on "concept" and storyline make their movies look like someones asked a two year old to name an idea for a movie and they'll make it for them. There seems to be no effort on concept as either they're ripping off an upcoming movie with a cheap knockoff or it's a dumb idea like Sharktopus or Two Headed Shark Attack that isn't even B movie quality because there seems to be no effort to make a good movie. You can have great acting and a lot of great natural scenery but if the story is lacking, the producers seem like they're being forced to do the movie or as if they have no ability to produce a movie... then the lack of funding for effects will kill the movie as there's no endearing factors to hold an audiences attention.

Imagine if they had better concepts for their movies... it doesn't have to be original as there's little originality out there today. But the concept has to be well done and there needs to be a serious effort to make a good movie even if you're lacking funds.

Sharknado had a weird name in a classic B movie style, but it wasn't a classic B movie... it was more like a Z movie as it was so stupid and boring I almost fell asleep several times watching it and missed about half of the movie just because it was so dumb.
  • Jimm 2013/07/14 22:06:34
    Jimm
    +2
    "Sharknado" is one of those cheesy movies that could only have been a success on SyFy. It harkens back to the old "C" movies of the 50's and 60's that were made on a shoestring with bad actors and a campy...if not just plain bad...script. SyFy seems to love to crank out these cheese fests, and take great pride in the fact that they stink!! lol
  • MIRANDDAAA :) 2013/07/14 21:08:46
    MIRANDDAAA :)
    I can only hope so. Sharknado has everything a good movie should have: great graphics, talented actors, a gripping plot, suspense, and heartfelt moments. Sharknado will be taking home all the Oscars this year.
  • maryd 2013/07/14 20:14:25
    maryd
    I hope so.....I was glad to see Tara Reid working again;)
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2013/07/14 18:52:39
    MOMMA THOMAS
    I HOPE NOT!
  • Brandonman 2013/07/14 17:55:21
  • JessDeCristo 2013/07/14 12:37:52
    JessDeCristo
    +1
    I hope not ! Hollywood's definitely running out of GOOD IMAGINATION.
    1st;- There were the chain saw massacre movies
    2nd; there were cartoon movies ( "Cars", " the lion King"),
    2nd; Now this.
    Hollywood, get a life!
  • Erica 2013/07/14 08:11:19 (edited)
    Erica
    lol... Jaws will always take the crown for shark movies
    On another note.. the problem with these movies is that they're BAD WRITERS! You can make a weird concept look good on the screen... why do you have to kill it with a weak, cheesy plot and bad one-liners?
  • Elephant Lord 2013/07/14 06:21:20
  • irishguy87 2013/07/14 05:51:28
    irishguy87
    lmao, I will be watching it though sci fi orginal movies always make me laugh

2014/08/21 08:23:56