Will Manny Pacquiao Lose Fans Due to Gay Marriage Comments?

Sports 2012/05/16 19:00:00
Boxing great Manny Pacquiao is back in the headlines -- and no, it's not for his never-ending feud with top-ranked boxer Floyd “Money” Mayweather (although most of us still want to see that fight.) This week, Manny Pacquiao -- politician, not boxer -- has made headlines for his opposing views on the hot-button issue of gay marriage.

Pacquiao was asked about gay marriage by The National Conservative Examiner and the boxer, who is extremely religious and currently serves as a congressman in The Philippines, said he is clearly against it. He cited the Bible and said that marriage should be between a man and a woman. Also, in an interview with MMAFighting.com in 2010, Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum insulted the sport of mixed martial arts, making the controversial comments “they [the MMA fighters] roll around the floor like homosexuals.” Pacquiao may have already started to alienate a part of his fan base then.

The point of mass marketing an athlete is to have them appeal to all races, all cultures, all religions, etc. With Pacquiao's comments, he brings publicity he probably doesn't want -- or need -- at this time, especially with a big fight on the horizon. Just because fans may not be too familiar with Bradley, it certainly doesn't mean he can't win. Anything can happen in the boxing ring and while Manny Pacquiao the boxer will likely show up on June 9, there's no guarantee those fans that he alienated will.

• Shonny 2012/05/17 03:22:04
    Shonny
    +13
    I'm pissed about this whole situation. Everyone else shouts loud and stands up for the lifestyles and choices they choose, but every time a Christian stands up for our values we are ostracized. We already know that that comes with the territory but I feel that if corporations, people, and stores are going band Christians for our views Christian needs to Boycott their merchandise and businesses. I know I am and will continue to.

• Javimendo 2012/05/16 21:10:38
    Javimendo
    +2
    "The point of mass marketing an athlete is to have them appeal to all races, all cultures, all religions, etc."

Really? Sounds more like political correctness. Quit rolling around your article "like homosexuals".
  • Elementer 2012/05/16 21:07:10
    Elementer
    +5
    It's like opposing interracial marriage...
  • rightside Elementer 2012/05/16 22:10:15
    rightside
    +1
    Not hardly.
  • Elementer rightside 2012/05/16 22:10:57
    Elementer
    +2
    It kinda is.
  • rightside Elementer 2012/05/16 22:16:45
    rightside
    +1
    No, interracial marriage was still between a man and a woman. Homosexual union should find their own name.
    Did you know that the bigamist are waiting patiently for this to pass so that they can incorporate their act into it also.
    And then you have the folks that want to marry their animals.
    Lets leave marriage what it was intended to be and let other different things find their own term.
  • Elementer rightside 2012/05/16 22:24:31 (edited)
    Elementer
    +2
    Homosexual marriage is between two, adult, consenting human beings. How is that a horrible thing? It's none of your business, you have no right to impede and trample on someone's rights.

Really? Did you just compare homosexuality to bestiality? I weep at your ignorance.
  • rightside Elementer 2012/05/16 22:25:49
    rightside
    +1
    No, I did not compare that, I simply stated that it opens the door if you change the definition to marriage.
    I don't think you know anything about Jesus.
  • Elementer rightside 2012/05/16 22:32:39
    Elementer
    +3
    You basically did. Implying gay marriage will lead to humans wanting to marry animals is basically grouping the two in the same category.

You don't have a right to mess with other people's rights because you think your God's against it. Quit nitpicking out the Bible.
  • rightside Elementer 2012/05/16 22:42:01
    rightside
    I'm not, I'll back up whatever you want.
  • Elementer rightside 2012/05/16 22:42:43
    Elementer
    +1
    Okay, why are you against gay marriage?
  • rightside Elementer 2012/05/16 23:01:04
    rightside
    +1
    Because it is an abomination to God. If God calls it a sin, then it is,
  • Willie rightside 2012/05/17 00:10:17
    Willie
    +1
    This country is not a theocracy. We don't have to follow the rules that you think a figment of your imagination thought up.
  • rightside Willie 2012/05/17 02:30:15
    rightside
    +1
    But it is a republic that has a democracy that allows people to vote their convictions, and I will.
  • Willie rightside 2012/05/17 19:36:12
    Willie
    And it has a court system to protect the rights of minorities and prevent the tyranny of the majority, and they will rightfully overturn all the bigoted decisions made by voters.
  • rightside Willie 2012/05/17 19:37:19
    rightside
    Not bigoted, just moral
  • Willie rightside 2012/05/17 19:41:44
    Willie
    Only if you base your "morality" on the bible, which, again, is not the way our system works.
  • rightside Willie 2012/05/17 19:45:08
    rightside
    Our founding father and every state had God in mind. I'll stand with them.
  • Willie rightside 2012/05/17 19:48:07
    Willie
    +1
    They also prohibited women from voting, and allowed blacks to be kept as slaves. Are you standing with them on those things?
  • rightside Willie 2012/05/17 21:57:03
    rightside
    I'm standing with God. You're not going to change my mind. I haven't tried to change yours. That's what America is all about.
    The left is constantly hating when people don't follow them blindly.
  • Korgull rightside 2012/05/17 02:14:15
    Korgull
    +2
    God is also against women being teachers and having authority over men. Do you support that, too?
  • rightside Korgull 2012/05/17 02:30:33
    rightside
    +1
    No, He's not. Try again
  • Korgull rightside 2012/05/17 02:42:18
    Korgull
    +1
    "But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet."

1 Timothy 2:12
  • rightside Korgull 2012/05/17 02:47:15
    rightside
    +1
    Try putting everything in context. Don't just pull.
  • Elementer rightside 2012/05/17 02:32:35
    Elementer
    +1
    According to the Bible, a lot of things are an abomination. You neglect to mention that it also says homosexuals should be put to death. Are you supportive of that as well?

The Bible is a weak argument, think for yourself. It's fine and dandy to believe in God, but don't let a ancient book dictate your decisions.
  • rightside Elementer 2012/05/17 02:35:47
    rightside
    +1
    So, by your words, I just make up God and then believe in it?
    That's just the silliest thing I've heard.
  • Elementer rightside 2012/05/17 03:09:21
    Elementer
    No, you mook. You can believe in God, that's perfectly fine, but saying prejudice against a group of people is God's word/law is the silliest thing I've heard. How do you know what God wants? Have you met him? Have you called him on the phone lately? Had he come to you through a burning bush? You're believing the words of ancient men, not God.
  • rightside Elementer 2012/05/17 04:11:48
    rightside
    So if the bible is crap, then how do you know God? You just make something up that suits your purpose and then POW, that's god.
    Nope, I'll stick with the bible which is the perfect word. You make up whatever you want and we'll see in the end won't we?
  • Elementer rightside 2012/05/17 04:55:56
    Elementer
    "So if the bible is crap, then how do you know God?"

You don't know God. That's my entire point.
  • rightside Elementer 2012/05/17 15:39:48
    rightside
    According to you, He's probably not there anyway.
    Still going with the God of the bible. I know Him, He loves me and has forgiven me. I willingly give myself to Him as a servant.
    You follow whatever god you can make up.
  • Elementer rightside 2012/05/17 22:53:16
    Elementer
    Revel in your ignorance, sir.

I'm done.
  • rightside Elementer 2012/05/18 02:24:28
    rightside
    Hey! Pink truck
  • Elementer rightside 2012/05/18 03:02:12
    Elementer
    +1
    Oh, my bad. I assumed you were a guy, not many women take pictures of their cars.
  • rightside Elementer 2012/05/18 03:11:04
    rightside
    My truck, my color. Husband didn't want to paint it that, but its mine, so he did.
    And, I'm not ignorant.
    Have a great day.
  • addie Elementer 2012/05/17 10:29:45
    addie
    +1
    Usually, only the most judgmenat, mean spirited people, cite Jesus.
    You think you want to, "weep?" How do you think he would feel. lol
  • MistyFay8879 2012/05/16 20:31:52
    MistyFay8879
    +3
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!
  • iamco2000 2012/05/16 20:22:49
    iamco2000
    +3
    ...but my vote (really is an implied No)....

I completely and without apology or reserve feel exactly the same way Pacquiao does! Is nothing in disagreement with the mainstream hypersensitive, overly-sexualized, homo-erotically-fixated media able to be expressed without being vilified? Of every state in the union (USA) that has a constitutional amendment (38 States to date, 76% of the country) limiting marriage to one man and one woman, it's registered voters unanimously (by ballot) elected to do so.

This tells me that 1st and foremost God's work is being done in this country (there is hope for us yet)....2nd, the majority of people (at least on the ballot and in their hearts) agree with him, and 3rd, of the people who disagree with him, their numbers are small enough that even if they did stop rooting for him, he'd never notice!

Grace to you, Glory to God!
  • Korgull iamco2000 2012/05/16 20:31:32
    Korgull
    +4
    Yeah, because denying human rights is okay as long as God wills it.

People spouted biblical crap when they fought interracial marriage too. Are you against blacks and whites marrying? Are you against blacks having rights? How about women? You know, they shouldn't hold authority over man, after all.

Religious folk are right. There is a slippery slope involved. If we let religious dogmatic bullcrap affect one person's rights, how are we supposed to know it won't lead them to call for other people's rights to be taken away?
  • iamco2000 Korgull 2012/05/17 02:12:45
    iamco2000
    +1
    Life is a human right, as is the right to procreate, as is the right to live, as is the right to protect ones life, as is the right to breath, as is the right to sustain one's self, as is the right to speak one's mind, as is the right to pray...

By virtue of permitting "gay marriage" you are denying human life to be created..."gay marriage" in itself therefore deny's the actual human right to life to occur, while throwing a false flag under the claims in violation of "human rights". Stop trying to steam roll an agenda that has everything to do with personal preference and nothing to do with human rights.

For the record, I no longer have to justify God's will....as I said before, 38 States (and growing!) have already voted it into Law.

Grace to you, Glory to God!
  • Elementer iamco2000 2012/05/16 21:05:12
    Elementer
    +2
    Using God as a justification for prejudice is seriously pathetic.
  • sockpuppet Elementer 2012/05/16 21:38:15
    sockpuppet
    +2
    But not nearly as pathetic as the other things they've justified this way: war, genocide, kidnapping, expansionism, censorship and book-burning to name a few... :O)

2014/09/30 17:54:36