Will Javier Bardem Make a Good James Bond Villain?

Film 2011/10/12 17:00:00
The way things are going, it looks like Daniel Craig will be wearing the James Bond suit for a while. But it's always open season for villain casting, and "No Country for Old Men" star Javier Bardem has officially revealed that he will play Bond's nemesis in the next film.

Bardem told Nightline, "I am very excited. My parents took me to watch the movies and I saw all of them. So to play that is going to be fun. They chose me to play this man, but I cannot give you many details."

As Yahoo! notes, Bardem is the first Oscar-winning actor to play a Bond baddie since Christopher Walken played Max Zorin in 1985's "A View to Kill." However, it's important to keep in mind that "A View to Kill" didn't fare too well with critics, so the Oscar might not be as telling as you'd think.

Still, Bardem has the kind of reputation you want in a bad guy. The 42-year-old Spanish actor disturbed audiences everywhere with his award-winning portrayal of the emotionless Anton Chigurh in the Coen brothers' 2007 "No Country for Old Men." Combine that with his suave Spanish accent (see "Before Night Falls") and he has precisely the image a Bond villain wants.

The movie is still untitled, currently being referred to as "Bond 23," and will be directed by Sam Mendes. Their budget is said to be around $135 million -- less than the $200 million budget for 2008's "Quantum of Solace." We're all for lower-budget films, but we also hear a third of the budget is being paid for by product placement. Not as encouraging.

• katie 2011/10/24 10:50:42
    katie
    WELL MAYBE SEE.. I CHANGED MY MIND IF STEVE MC-QUEEN HAD LIVED THEY WOULD HAVE CHOSEN HIM THE BOND NOW IS GREAT I LOVE DANIEL CRAIG ALSO IN IT REMEMBER "ACTRESS "EVA GREEN' [ SHE PLAYS" MORGAIN" IN KING ARTHUR" SERIESTHE WOMAN HE LOVED "CASONO ROYALE I SWEAR PRODUCERS WOULD HAVE CHOSEN MC-QUEEN! BUT CRAIG ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE..& I'M SO HAPPY RE;THAT! HE IS THE BEST NEXT TO SEAN CONNERY WHO-BY-THE BY- [LIVES IN SPAIN YA KNOW] A HANDSOME HUNK! RE:BOND? YES JAVIER B WOULD BE GREAT LOOKS PERSONA WOULD MAKE THE "BOND" IMAGE WORTHY INDEED BUT AGAIN PRODUCERS AREN'T LOOKING CRAIG'S CONTRACT IS SOLID FOR MORE "BOND"
    COVER OF "AFFECIANADDO"MAG [SPELLING MAYBE WRONG] PRIMO [CIGAR'S] MAG LAST YEAR [FOR ENTIRE YR]
  • Catalana 2011/10/20 02:23:41
    Catalana
    He is a great actor. I personally loved his performance in Mar Adentro (A Sea Inside) but he also makes for a great villain. :
  • Jensola 2011/10/16 09:57:22
    Jensola
    I don't even know him... but looking at him... euw, no!!
  • rippu_sal 2011/10/15 13:02:50
    rippu_sal
    doesnt seems to be
  • Spyderman739 2011/10/14 13:17:58
    Spyderman739
    I've seen all the Bond movies, love 'em! Can't wait for a new one to hit the big screen.
    Great villian!
  • <--That guy 2011/10/14 03:30:34
    <--That guy
    I think he's a good enough actor to pull it off.
  • James 2011/10/14 01:47:48
    James
    Sean Connery is still the gold standard.
  • RS 2011/10/14 01:08:25
    RS
    They used to get BIG stars to play the Villians. However, I can not truly judge til I see.
  • katie RS 2011/10/24 11:03:36
    katie
    THE VERY PROBLEM IS THEY NED TO GET "NEW"ER" FACES GIVE "THEM" A CHANCE HE'S ALREADY PROVED HMSELF A GOOD ACTOR "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN" SO NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE "BIGGER" STARS THEY MADE THEIR MILLIONS THAT'S THE TROUBLE ONE WOULD THINK THEY ONL;Y HAD A GROUP OF "BIG" ACTORS? TO PLAY EVERYONE?ALL THE TIMEK ?? NEXT YOU''LL BE SAYING WHY DIDN'T THEY PICK BRAD PITT ..PITT WOULDN'T BE "BOND"WE' WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND THAT NOR WOULD HE HE'S DONE THAT ROUTE W/ JOLE'.--WE'VE SEEN PITT IN THOSE"BONDESQUE" ROLLS AS WE HAVE SEEN THE OTHER BIGGIES" VILLIANS -- ARE YOU REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND THE MOVIE BUSINESS DO YOU? PLEASE DON'T TELL US WHAT "BIGGIE" YOU'D" CHOOSE PLEASE..GIVE OTHERS & THE FORGOTTEN TALENT A CHANCE EVER THINK 'BOUT THAT? GUESS NOT!
  • katie RS 2011/10/24 11:05:05
    katie
    NO THEY WEREN'T "BIG" "UNTIL" THEY WERE BIG"GER" STARS "BECAUSE THEY PLAYED BIG PARTS FIRST..EWWWEEE JEEEEZZ!
  • RS katie 2011/10/25 03:40:47
    RS
    I am not sure that I follow...All I am saying is that Bond films used to have More well known actors play Villians...not always...but often.

Christopher Lee
    Telly Savalas
    Louis Jordan
    Christopher Walken
    Robert Shaw
    Yaphet Kotto
    Kurt Jurgens

That is just to name a few...My point is that Bardem is not a houshold name. I understand that he won teh academy award but he is still not well known.
  • katie RS 2011/10/25 11:26:22
    katie
    HE IS NOW! that's how they get to be"household names you're 1/2 right "House-H'-OLD" "You undersatnd he won the Academy Award " well there ya go Now 'HE IS KNOWN BUT HE WAS already :known: to the "industry" doesn't mean he wasn't known to Hollywood AGENTS You "still" didn't follow that..I mean, really "household names?" Your list is NUTS..Telly Savalas? Telly was "A-BIG" MAN when did "he" ever come near the swauve persona of Bond?" "Louis Jordan?" sure if you liked his "Girlish" pretty boys looks & he wasn't ever thought of as "tough" or masculine .. above all 'Bonesque" nor was he ever considered {candidate} for such a role not even a "Reel" thought re that-:Frenchman Enter:..Robert Shaw? Fied in the 70's yet "Another ridiculous mention I liked him {was-married -to "Mary Ure"} having both died within [5 approx]yrs" of each other }but a heavyweight?"OR the swauve-- {Operative word] Handsome! Bond? Oh God No!! You "Are" kidding,right now .Yaphat Katto?" the black actor? Sorry but "UNATRACTIVE" bulging eyed sorta Ugleee--Those in the-business {Producers-etc]& casting directors- wiould have questioned the "Sanity" of that choices!! & All these Insane,Unbelievable!!-- they might have been "House-Hold" names in "Your" house but "On Hold" in the "REEL WORLD!" You asked for it !! I just...&
    HE IS NOW! that's how they get to be"household names you're 1/2 right "House-H'-OLD" "You undersatnd he won the Academy Award " well there ya go Now 'HE IS KNOWN BUT HE WAS already :known: to the "industry" doesn't mean he wasn't known to Hollywood AGENTS You "still" didn't follow that..I mean, really "household names?" Your list is NUTS..Telly Savalas? Telly was "A-BIG" MAN when did "he" ever come near the swauve persona of Bond?" "Louis Jordan?" sure if you liked his "Girlish" pretty boys looks & he wasn't ever thought of as "tough" or masculine .. above all 'Bonesque" nor was he ever considered {candidate} for such a role not even a "Reel" thought re that-:Frenchman Enter:..Robert Shaw? Fied in the 70's yet "Another ridiculous mention I liked him {was-married -to "Mary Ure"} having both died within [5 approx]yrs" of each other }but a heavyweight?"OR the swauve-- {Operative word] Handsome! Bond? Oh God No!! You "Are" kidding,right now .Yaphat Katto?" the black actor? Sorry but "UNATRACTIVE" bulging eyed sorta Ugleee--Those in the-business {Producers-etc]& casting directors- wiould have questioned the "Sanity" of that choices!! & All these Insane,Unbelievable!!-- they might have been "House-Hold" names in "Your" house but "On Hold" in the "REEL WORLD!" You asked for it !! I just couldn't allow you to get away w/ this dullusional state you're in {or out} of I mean these actors are w/ the EXCEPTION OF CHRIS WALKEN BUT STILl NOT A "BOND" Kurt Jurgens? another idiotic thought/... where were these guys in fact where were they.. where were they in the 80's?most were already dead BUT the bigger question is "How old are you?" These men were certainly not housegold name in my house! REBOND! Where does "Chris Walken" come in. he's the BEST ONE HERE STILL NOT BOND..Now tell me you were just kidding..'cause this aint makin' sense a AN ACTOR BECOMES A HOUSEHOLD NAME {as you put it} when they receive an Academy Award but like I said ..that's where they start. That's how "Brad Pitt" got to be BRAD PITT BUT AWARDS OR NOT WE ALL KNOW "BARDEN" EUROPE RECOGNIXED HIM! HE'S NOT EXACTLY A NOBODY LIKE THE GUYS YOU LISTED..THEY NEVER GOT ANY AWARDS..EITHER MAYBE "SHAW' {BRITISH} & WALKEN BUT JOUDAN?YAPPHET?JERGENS? GET REAL ' HE IS WELL KNOWN" It makes "CENTS" if you could list such insanity.. of course you'd -- Conclude MR J "BARDEN" is not well known ....it's the ones you listed that you thought "WERE" so "Known.. BUT FOR WHAT? {EXCEPT WALKEN} AHH NOW i GET IT...HOW 'BOUT PEEE WEE HERMAN FOR AN OLDER "HARRY POTTER THAT'S HOW NUTS YOU ARE! I GOTTA TELL YA REALLY..'REEL"Y? YAPHET HOTTO?? HE'S BLACK YOU MORON "HOUSE-HOLD' YOUR LIST SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON "HOLD"
  • RS katie 2011/10/27 10:56:57
    RS
    Ok...I am guessing that you did not read the question...It was about Bond Villians. The people I listed are all classic Bond villians NOT BOND! So please reread the question before you answer. Trust me if there is anything I do know...it is Bond films... I have seen all of them about 20 times! I have also read the novels.Everyone of the people I listed have already appearded in a Bond film so if you think I am crazy then I guess all the producers over the last 40 years have been as well.
  • katie RS 2011/10/29 10:34:03
    katie
    Well ecuze---eeee me! and by the way..so what You're the one who should have RE-read the quest--closer Villian or Bond this was symbolic to me it just made me wonder because many times the questions are often brought up re "who will be the next Bond? {when Craig has a contract for many more!!} adding when questions are put out there re: when Craig or lwhen eading guy isn't going anywhere what even ask.stupid! I STILL think ..either way you're "I hate to call them choices} they don't even make a legit cata-"gory" Uhmmmm if you can call them choices ;;none of whom you offered were,or will ever to be BOND! {anyway} so if I didn't fully read it you deserved to be informed as to the ridiculous names you listed...anyway I mean..really Telly? Jordan? Villian or Vagabond it was just ynbelievably "OutThere so I wasn't that far off Your insane dipictions of "Any" of those men were still not "Villian" persona's OR even "bad guys"YES I changed my mind Barbem would be GREAT as for the girl who said "eweee" she must like the more Pretty Boy type because Bardem is handsome he kissed the Award that's more than many do as celeb's aren't so humble ! I applaid the girl/guy {"Catalana"} who mentioned Bardem in "No Country for "Old Men" "A Sea Inside" she even knew the director ...&&
    Well ecuze---eeee me! and by the way..so what You're the one who should have RE-read the quest--closer Villian or Bond this was symbolic to me it just made me wonder because many times the questions are often brought up re "who will be the next Bond? {when Craig has a contract for many more!!} adding when questions are put out there re: when Craig or lwhen eading guy isn't going anywhere what even ask.stupid! I STILL think ..either way you're "I hate to call them choices} they don't even make a legit cata-"gory" Uhmmmm if you can call them choices ;;none of whom you offered were,or will ever to be BOND! {anyway} so if I didn't fully read it you deserved to be informed as to the ridiculous names you listed...anyway I mean..really Telly? Jordan? Villian or Vagabond it was just ynbelievably "OutThere so I wasn't that far off Your insane dipictions of "Any" of those men were still not "Villian" persona's OR even "bad guys"YES I changed my mind Barbem would be GREAT as for the girl who said "eweee" she must like the more Pretty Boy type because Bardem is handsome he kissed the Award that's more than many do as celeb's aren't so humble ! I applaid the girl/guy {"Catalana"} who mentioned Bardem in "No Country for "Old Men" "A Sea Inside" she even knew the director Cool & I am thrilled she saw Bradems other film[s] He Is ON WAS ON HIS WAY,,anyway he proved his talent & worthiness, this hard working sweet faced many man will get many more Raves in the future thus the respect from his peers as he has already made his mark..amoung the greats and as far as illains having been re Listed Mr RS allow me to ask you "what decade where they ever Villians 'cause up until [like I said most have dies=d in the 70's and Sure Walken is a Villian was a Villian etc WE KNOW HIM..But the others perhaps YOU didn't read it..it asled who would make how can "they"make anything oif most are dead..anyway You ised the word "Classic?' you see I was thinking more about "this" recent Bond" question NOt THOSE WHO "WERE" Classic? are you nuts isn't anyone gonna comment on this...List of forget it's There are 100's of Villians so what did that have to do TODAY'S Villian..Isn't that what was aksed.."Would {n't} "Bardem ?"Make? a Good James Bond Villian? nobody here had anything to say re Steve McQueen having had sooo many roles had he lived Certainly would have been Bond Himself Villians are BIG BOXOFFICE TOO ENTER: sad passing of Heath Ledger Note re Villains JOKE" was on Jack Nick Ledger "WAS THE BEST JOKER'' Talk about Villains? was actually jealous I felt Heath Ledger has negativity surrounding him the geographical disoreintation issues lack of knowledge re:prescript pills He make a sad mistake but he like Michael Jackson didn't want to "get high" I believe Ledger was wanted sleep too!
  • katie RS 2011/10/25 11:49:43
    katie
    CAPS" NOT USED IN ANGER HOwever in this case..I gotta say I AM SHOCKED THERE ARE STILL SUCH MORONS LEFT IN SOCIETY Oh I forgot.. CHRISTOPHER LEE? WHAT? yeah right Type-Cast Lee known for "DRACULA" RIGHT!!? THESE GUYS FOR "BOND?" YOU'RE AN IDIOT..YOU'RE right you didn't "follow" anything ..nobody in their right mind "would" want to follow you. even the actors would have said "ARE YOU CRAZY" ME?FOR BOND? "OKAY WHOSE THE JOKER HERE?" THEY'D HAVE SAID "This must have been a TYP-OH MAYBE MY AGENT IS HIGH ON SOMETHING This poster ..LIST thinking he's so knowledgeable ONLY to have given us something to laugh about o scream in agony re: half baked while ALIVE LONG SINCE.. DEAD CELEBS [since the late 70's] had to show off BUT WHAT DID HE SHOW US?YOu DESRVE TO BE TOLD ...IT'S INSULTING!!TO ANYONE w/ intellegence you're talkin' toSOMEONE WHO KNOWS HER MOVIES NOT {STUPID} ONES BUT WHEN IT COMES TO ACTORS & AWARDS WHOSE WHO ...I CANNOT LET PEOPLE LIKE YOU WALK AWAY STILL STUPID1
  • Sami 2011/10/14 00:59:21
    Sami
    Yes!
    (For a second I thought he was the guy who played Iron Man.)
  • katie Sami 2011/10/24 10:53:16
    katie
    I'M SURE HE LOST WEIGHT FROM HIS LAST MOVIE WHERE HE "HAD" TO GAIN FOR THE PART! HE'D BE GREAT BUT CRAIG I ADORE HIM.HANDSOME RUGGED.EVEN CONNERY APPROVED!
  • dancer 2011/10/14 00:27:31 (edited)
    dancer
    +1
    Will he make a good villain? Do mice like cheese? In "No Country For Old Men" he showed you scary enough to fright you to death!!! If you've been lucky enough to have been following his films over the years you'd know there is no role he can't play. I saw him play a man paralyzed from the neck down whose family refuses to let him die and free him from the hell of a fully aware limbo. What a delicate and touching performance that was. I saw him play an ancient Mexican blood-God. Both his his romantic and comedic timing was delightful in "Jamon Jamon". BTW in that one he was naked long enough to swoon at his manhood. Holy cow!!! Or more aptly.. what a LOT of bull!!!! He is a superb actor from a long line of brilliant actors and his versatility is extremely impressive. You should rent a few to be entertained and amazed.

Check this out... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm00...
  • lynn.crago 2011/10/14 00:26:57
    lynn.crago
    yeah
  • susan BN-0 2011/10/14 00:21:55
    susan BN-0
    Yes,he Is good at playing villain's.
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2011/10/14 00:08:58 (edited)
    Bob, the reasonable one
    He was a bad mofo in that movie No Country for Old Men....very bad, evil...bad to the bone
  • exsecrare 2011/10/13 23:22:29
    exsecrare
    +1
    Have you ever seen No Country for Old Men? Enough said...
  • elijahin24 2011/10/13 23:18:37
    elijahin24
    +1
    I'm cautiously hopeful. I can't wait. I've been pleasantly surprised at how good the Daniel Craig has been as Bond, and can't wait to see his next outing
    By the way, it should be noted that all of the 007 movies have had a ton of product placement.
  • katie elijahin24 2011/10/29 10:59:30
    katie
    What does that mean I'm aleays OPEn for knowledge from intellegent sources which are ofetn lacking here so this is one of the few really intellegent explorations "product Placement Does this mean the same as having had changing Bonds and or characters? Peirce wasn't a Bond Or A Villian tme that is] hoever I appalud his "direct"questions to Obama reminding him of his PROMISE TOP SAVe & DESIST JAP SLAUGHTERING Of OUR WHALEs ANTARTIC WHERE ENDAGERED WAS IGNORED! DOES OBAMA HAVE TO FRIENDS W/EVERYONE THUS SACRIFICING PROTECTED WHALES JAP RESERCH MASCARE"VESSEL GAVE UP THANKS TO DEDICATED RELENLESS WHALE WARS {CAPT'N PAUL WATSON CREW RISKING THEIR LIVES OBAMA TOO BUSY THANKING? NO "COMMENDING" EAGLES BOSS FOR GIVING MICHAEL VICK A SECOND CHANCE" SETTING BACK ANIMAL ABUSE DECADES? "NO YOU CANNOT EVER OWN ANY ANIMAL" REAGAN WOULD HAVE SAID..REAGAN HAD ANGER OBAM IS PASSIVE DEADLY ALLINCES {This would be great premise for movie {already mentioned to prodcers {copywrite all my stuff] "Mr.Gorvichov take Down This Wall" he had anger Obamas DEVOID OF SEEKING JUStICE EVERYONE KNOWS OBAMA BURNED SUVIVING TURTLES MY POINT WAS PIERCE BROSNAN I THOUGHt OF BOND CHARACTER SO REMEMBERED BROSNA'S UNCOWARLY LIKENED TO WHAT BOND WOULD HAVE DONE OR ANY HERO which we have so little of..
  • elijahin24 katie 2011/10/29 16:25:13
    elijahin24
    Ok, well I'm not gonna go into the politics of it. If you wanna talk politics, I'll be doing that on about a thousand other questions here; but this is about Bond, James Bond.
    To answer your initial question: Product placement is a form of advertizing in which a product is placed in the movie, as part of the story. People see it and say "oh, James bond wears an Omega watch; I think I'll get one too". I use Omega because it is one of the most consistent products he's used. Aston-Martin is also pretty consistent, Walther firearms. People see the products in the movie, and it serves as a form of advertizing. When Aston-Martin lost their contract with MGM, when Peirce Brosnan took over the roll; BMW set the record for the highest price any company has paid to have their product appear in the movie.
  • Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2011/10/13 23:01:51
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    +1
    He should be good at being bad.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2011/10/13 23:00:04
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    But we will just have to wait and see.
  • Alan 2011/10/13 22:41:08
    Alan
    +1
    he is an excellent actor
  • Jack's Pearl 2011/10/13 22:40:12
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    I love Javier Bardem. He's one of my favorites. Excellent actor. And he's good at expressing rage. Will be good for a bad guy.
  • moonchild 2011/10/13 22:30:35
    moonchild
    +1
    He is an awesome actor- I'd just hate to see him type cast.
  • dancer moonchild 2011/10/14 01:43:04 (edited)
    dancer
    +1
    Oh... I don't think you have to worry about that... check these out.... first a comedy,, check the trailer...

there are two trailers for the second one with javier and rosie perez

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0...
    For financial reasons an unemployed aspiring actor works for a phone-sex enterprise. One day he receives a call from the mysterious wife of one of his best clients.
    -----------------------------...
    http://www.imdb.com/video/scr...
    A psychotic criminal couple kidnaps a random teenage couple. The woman rapes the male captive, and lets him watch his lover being raped by the man. They then plan to sacrifice the couple.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/10/13 21:19:55
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +1
    HE WAS SO SCARY IN 'OLD MEN,' ....GREAT CHOICE.
  • mambotango 2011/10/13 19:19:33
    mambotango
    +1
    mmm mmm mm
  • coach k 2011/10/13 18:56:44
    coach k
    +1
    he will be fine as a villan
  • Sinsin 2011/10/13 18:16:15
    Sinsin
    +1
    Yes and he's a total babe to.
  • Lilymoon 2011/10/13 17:55:20
    Lilymoon
    +1
    Hell ya.
  • Lanikai 2011/10/13 17:07:18
    Yes, he will.
  • RobThatGuy 2011/10/13 16:57:26
    RobThatGuy
    um, duh.
  • Lori 2011/10/13 16:24:08
    Lori
    +2
    OMG! He'll be awesome.

2014/10/26 07:01:46