Why do you think some people are so set against tattoos and piercings?

tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ 2009/05/16 18:01:00
I like them because...
I don't like them because...
I don't even know...
Well, I think...
I personally don't have a problem, and want a couple myself when I get older. I just thought that in this day and age, it doesn't make sense to be so against a tat or a tongue ring. Having one is not morally degrading, and I don't see what the problem is.

What do you guys think?

• kidkewlsgirl8888 2009/05/16 22:28:00
    I like them because...
    kidkewlsgirl8888
    +4
    they show people who you are and what you like.... It feels awesome when you get one its like your a deviant... and your proud! ^.^

It is good to think about what your getting and why your getting it. dont just do it because its "cool"

I think people hate them because your doing something to your body thats not natural.... and tattoos are forever..... if you get something dumb you will have it till the day you die....

deviant proud cool people hate body natural tattoos dumb die

• Merryweather 2011/04/06 21:29:45
  • maxbeggs 2011/01/14 04:52:01
    I like them because...
    maxbeggs
    I LOVE them because they are really pretty and allow me to express myself in ways that clothes can't.
  • Amanda_50158 2009/05/19 00:52:23
    I like them because...
    Amanda_50158
    +1
    All my tattoos represent something that has happened & shaped my life. I have a tattoo in chinese saying eternal strength-it stands for everything ive come back from & survived. I have a 4 leaf clover on my left wrist with my best friends name in it-she od'd on meth & she survived. She's always been my other half & has helped me be a stronger person. I have my name & a butterfly on my right wrist-my name holds so much meaning & the butterfly represents that ill never settle till i find the right person. I have a tattoo of a cross on my back with a banner going down saying grandpa with rest in peace above it-he was the one who stood by me no matter what.
    I have my nose & tounge pierced ( i took out the rest). I got them done to represent that i dont need to fit in to the perfect crowd based on appearance.
    -To me everything on my body represents my life & how it shaped me as a person
  • Michelle 2009/05/18 06:16:19
    I like them because...
    Michelle
    +1
    I love them. They are a way of expressing yourself, and showing others what you like, think, or believe in. They are art, and things to marveled (sometimes).

I think people hate them because it is a modification to your body, and thus makes your body "tainted" or "messed up"
  • Cold Dancer 2009/05/18 02:11:26
    Well, I think...
    Cold Dancer
    +1
    Ha ha, they dont have any. After you have felt the zest of the needle you never want to go back.
  • I♥MyBandBoyfriend 2009/05/17 19:18:44
    Well, I think...
    I♥MyBandBoyfriend
    +1
    i think theyre fine. i have my ears pierced. but im too chicken to get any ink.
  • Miss Good 2009/05/17 15:28:43
    I don't even know...
    Miss Good
    +2
    I like them just because I like them. I have 7 all together, out of that I only have like 2 that mean something.

My back piece and the one on my ankle.
    7 2 piece ankle
  • QueenShebaVIII 2009/05/17 13:38:54 (edited)
    Well, I think...
    QueenShebaVIII
    +1
    People who don't like them are probably just squeamish. They don't like the idea of getting a permanent picture on their skin or having holes in their skin.

I think they're cool if you don't overdo it. It's not especially attractice to be covered in ink or have so many holes on your body that I wonder if water squirts out of your body when you drink... O_o

I only have my ears pierced now and I might get my eyebrow pierced, but probably nowhere else. I might get a tattoo sometime when I feel like it.
  • chiglet - Daedric Sigil Mag... 2009/05/17 12:50:37
    Well, I think...
    chiglet - Daedric Sigil Mage, Smirotiel
    +1
    I think it's a personal choice. I've seen some really nice work, but I've also seem some that the "pallet" should have asked for a refund on.
    As to why some are against them? One reason may be that tattoos at least are fairly permanent, and the wrong one in the wrong place can end up looking really bad when one gets older, or if one's weight changes. I'm not sure, but think that peircing would eventually close and heal if one decided to not wear one any more. I know ear peircings will. :)
  • Smokey 2009/05/17 12:08:50
    Smokey
    +1
    I have nothing against tattoos or piercings, but in my line of work, you have to have a professional appearance at all times.

I just don't like the fact that so many young brothers on the NBA have tattoos all over their bodies. Can't I see just ONE brother out there that doesn't have any?

I chose not to have any and I'm happy with my decission. My wife has a few on her body, but you can't see it when she wears her dresses at work. Out of sight, out of mind.

But, I do catch myself gawking at some tattoos because they do look good on certain people.
  • MindReader 2009/05/17 07:54:01
    I don't like them because...
    MindReader
    I am not a bible thumper, but you could start with: “You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.” Leviticus 19:28 and then move forward to 1 Corinthians.
  • Shewmaka MindReader 2010/07/19 02:04:58
    Shewmaka
    +3
    There's nothing wrong with being a bible thumper, I would just like to point out that your verse is in the Old Testament and I believe that God did change from Old Testament to New from a God who had a lot of rules, to a more forgiving God. If you abide by this rule then you should abide by the rool that it lists right before Leviticus 19:27 "Do not cut the hair at the sides or clip off the edges of your beard." I'm not saying people don't follow this but most it isn't because "God said." Does that make sense?
  • Woots 2009/05/17 07:53:29
    I don't like them because...
    Woots
    +1
    85 % of them look like crap.
  • my account? 2009/05/17 07:18:18
  • Jackson 2009/05/17 06:03:27
    Well, I think...
    Jackson
    +1
    Most people that get tattoos nowadays will regret them when they have kids. It happens, most people get them to be young and rebellious but as you get older that tattoo of a kitten you got on your arm will not look good when you gain weight, and the business world will not take you seriously with a tongue stud, lip piercing, or nose ring. I do not think that the people in your life are necessary morally against it as much as they do not want you wasting your money.

But then again I have a tattoo, but I do not think I will regret it.

piercing nose ring people life morally wasting money tattoo regret

Similar to my tattoo, but not my tattoo.
  • MindReader Jackson 2009/05/17 07:55:30
    MindReader
    THE University of Virginia.
  • Jackson MindReader 2009/05/17 15:43:45
    Jackson
    So were you at that game where the announcer called us, Virginia Tech, UVA.
  • jimmy "In God We Trust" 2009/05/17 05:02:13
    I don't like them because...
    jimmy  "In God We Trust"
    +1
    I don't like tattoos, my wife wanted one once, I told her that if she did I would find a new wife twenty years younger and without any tramp stamps. needless to say she seen it my way.
  • tammerz... jimmy ... 2009/05/17 05:07:49
    tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ
    +1
    That's kind of awful.
  • Emily MCRmy [FTDM!!!!] 2009/05/17 04:55:44
    I like them because...
    Emily MCRmy [FTDM!!!!]
    +1
    I think, for people who are smart about their tattoo choices, that tattoos are really cool displays of art.
  • QuiQui 2009/05/17 04:48:46
    I don't even know...
    QuiQui
    +1
    i dont really knoww..??? maybe a small one..its not like im against them but i dont big tattoos are that atractive!!! but its just my opinion!
  • Lyssy 2009/05/17 04:25:24
    Well, I think...
    Lyssy
    +1
    I believe there are several reasons that people are against tattoos and piercings.

In the bible it says that you shouldn't mark yourself and stuff and that is interpretted as tattoos.
    Also, unfortunately, certain piercings, such as a nose piercing, are not considered acceptable in a formal working place.
    Another thing is, that with tattoos, they are permanent. So what might look good now won't look too cool in 20 years.
    One of the people my mom used to work with had a tiny monkey tattoo around her belly button. The lady got pregnant and the tiny tattoo stretched as her belly expanded. It was not a tiny monkey anymore and it looked awful and stretched out. Some people have problems with tattoos in later years because their interests have changed and the tattoo may not look good anymore.

Me myself, I have no problem with tattoos or piercings. I want to get a tattoo when I am old enough to support myself and legal to get one. My parents say that if my brother or I get a tattoo we cannot stay in the house anymore. We are still in high school so we have to wait.
    I do have my cartilage pierced, but my dad hates it and wants me to take it out. I don't understand why parents tend to make a big deal out of piercings other than ear lobes.
    It kind of confuses me too. Haha.
  • BubbleEyes 2009/05/17 04:19:11
    Well, I think...
    BubbleEyes
    +1
    Religious belief. Or to many can be an unpleasant look. I personal don't mind tats or pierce.
  • CABT 2009/05/17 04:15:19
    I don't like them because...
    CABT
    1. It isn't healthy, the liver can't process ink.
    2. Its forever.
    3. Its beer and pool halls mindset.
    4. People aren't suppose to change themselves.
  • my acco... CABT 2009/05/17 07:20:31
  • CABT my acco... 2009/05/17 21:03:34
    CABT
    Fair enough but what are some of you going to do when you get older and your tats are sagging and you can't tell what they are anymore?
  • tammerz... CABT 2009/05/17 21:05:58
    tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ
    Who's says they'll be sagging? My grandparents are some of the skinniest and fittest people I know.
  • CABT tammerz... 2009/05/17 21:11:33
    CABT
    Skinny or not hon, the skin will sag. However glad to hear about your grandparents.
  • my acco... CABT 2009/05/18 11:33:35
  • CABT my acco... 2009/05/18 21:50:12
    CABT
    Let me just say I wouldn't care for one myself and thanks for your acceptance. Glad yours isn't deep. I was just thinking about all the little people who will get larger and the larger who will get thinner. Think about it some of these tats are going to be funny
  • my acco... CABT 2009/05/19 12:35:23
  • CABT my acco... 2009/05/19 21:07:32
    CABT
    Really? I didn't know that. So now tats aren't forever. Cool
  • kidkewl... CABT 2009/05/17 17:32:28
    kidkewlsgirl8888
    +1
    oh yeah i go to the bar and pool hall all the time.... -.- Change is life.....
  • CABT kidkewl... 2009/05/17 21:04:32
    CABT
    +1
    Well the changes we have to go through in life are enough for me.
  • AnaBee<3 2009/05/17 03:56:51
    I like them because...
    AnaBee<3
    +3
    Its a way of showing people a little about yourself and making a statement. I was just discussing this with my mother today. I've decided to get a tattoo for my 18th birthday and it'll be my gift from my parents. [Tecnically it'll be two] statement discussing mother ive tattoo 18th birthday gift parents tecnically
    Kind of like that but smaller.
  • my acco... AnaBee<3 2009/05/17 07:20:58
  • AnaBee<3 my acco... 2009/05/18 02:29:42
    AnaBee<3
    +1
    Thank you.
  • Snaps mom 2009/05/17 03:28:36
    Well, I think...
    Snaps mom
    +1
    I had my first tattoo back in 1982, wasn't very popular, especially for girls. I was snubbed by many. Today, it's not a big deal anymore.
  • Jess 2009/05/17 02:33:39
    Well, I think...
    Jess
    +1
    its because some people view them as marring your skin in a very unattractive and unclassy way...thats what my grandma has told me anyway haha

I for one think theyre okay if theyre not all over.
    My mom even has a tramp stamp, which is kind of out of character for her but I think its alright looking. lol
  • FencerCat 2009/05/17 02:32:50
    Well, I think...
    FencerCat
    +1
    I like small, unobtrusive ones. I don't understand why someone would get a tattoo on themselves that they couldn't see (like on their back). I find a whole armload of tattoos and ones that go up the neck or cover the body just to be too much. If someone wants to get all that done, it's their body, but I'd rather not look at it. I would never say anything to them about it, since that would be rude, and it's their business, but I really don't like to look at it.

2014/09/17 13:33:24