Why do people like rap/hip hop?

Voltron (Metal Wolf) 2008/03/12 22:34:29
I honestly don't know why people like it. I used to like it, back when it was good (mc hammer, vanilla ice, etc.) but it seems all rap music is anymore is talking about sex and violence with a beat in the background. If I wanted that I'd beatbox to CNN. So I ask you: why DO you listen to cRAP?

• allmusicismylife 2009/06/23 18:15:32
    allmusicismylife
    +6
    It depends what rap are you taliking about.i dislike how people label rap and hip hop as bad when not all is.The rap you are exosed to like mainstream with artists like lil wayne,soulja boy,etc is what uses drugs and sex.Under ground rap and hip hop isn't like that(well it depends where it's coming from like new york or other cities).Mf doom,talib kweli,krs one,common,black thought,q tip,and immortal technique are all examples of real hip hop and rap

• arsema.assefa.5 2013/07/22 21:03:36
    It's because...
    arsema.assefa.5
    Hip-hop is expression. It can be a way of life, a way to reveal how you feel, a way to relate to others, a way to experience critical life lessons through other people’s eyes (or lyrics and music), a form of ideas and values that should be shared, a vision of struggle and hardship, a tool to motivate, a verse of witty punchlines and current political issues, and so much more. Funnily enough Hip Hop is based usually on and motivated by anger usually aimed at poverty/government/civilrights issues, but its turned into a music that everyone can understand and therefore into something postive.
  • CheeseStrat 2013/07/14 14:13:37
    I don't listen to rap
    CheeseStrat
    Because it lacks musical talent, you don't need to be a good singer, and it doesn't require the use of a musical instrument. All you need is a good producer, ghetto lyrics, and you're a world-class modern rapper. Rap also promotes the thug life. There does exist some good rappers, but the mainstream crap has me drawn away. I'll stick to Led Zeppelin.
  • BeckyB 2012/11/20 04:07:21
    BeckyB
    It's because you don't have to think about it. It's comprised of simple lyrics and the same two beat tempo for every song. People today just want something that they can dance the same simple dance in clubs and have it match every song without having to think about it. Also, I've never met an intelligent person that liked rap.
  • DoesNotCare 2012/11/16 03:16:17
    I don't listen to rap
    DoesNotCare
    I'm the same. I do not understand why people like this crap. Every time I hear some jackass with a beat up car blasting it for all to hear I automatically think, "well, there goes the scum of the earth."
  • DARRELL 2012/09/27 02:40:20
    It's because...
    DARRELL
    +3
    people listen to hiphop because its something they can relate to,not alot listen to it but everyone has their own preference about music.
  • DARRELL DARRELL 2013/07/23 04:05:54
    DARRELL
    And im very sure that it's a lot of people who "dont like your style of music rather "rap, rock, pop, country ot techno"....
  • rudronilc 2011/12/07 15:28:47
  • mingzor 2011/07/21 08:31:12
    It's because...
    mingzor
    you like all the other people who think rap sucks dont know better,
    (good) rap does take talent, making rap beats by sampling is alot harder than ya think (for example Madlib-Movie Finale).
    if you want a rap group with musicality listen to The Roots, real instruments, sample themselves, real lyrics, REAL HIPHOP The Roots-What They Do
  • Michael mingzor 2012/07/14 21:23:37
  • DARRELL Michael 2013/07/23 03:27:33 (edited)
    DARRELL
    Disagree! music and poetry is different....written poetry set to music when it is chanted or recited as we know is called poetry "lyric poetry"....all music genre carries lyrical poetry "spoken or chanted and recited" except for classical music whereasit is set to only instruments...Rap/hipop, R&b;, metal, rock and pop or the like have lyrics that is set to music wich is either "spoken, chanted, recited or sunged"....
  • DARRELL DARRELL 2013/07/23 04:00:30 (edited)
    DARRELL
    what if this topic was for an example "why people like heavy metal?"...post this topic to mexicans, blacks or everyother people who's not a metal fan and im sure heavymetal will be spoken badly about and dislike by many as well as any other music genre and me I don't bash nobody's music as long as it has a good vibe to it or better yet, have some native Indians singing and chanting to their style of american indian culture "its just respecting people's culture!
  • IGNORANCE IS BLISS 2011/06/28 08:23:40
    IGNORANCE IS BLISS
    because they are poets and are one of the wittiest most clever writers with incredible punchlines as well as having versatility with their words, as well as rhythm and the different moods depending on the song/artist your are listening to are endless, the sound is always, for the most part DIFFERENT....and the music, and the older records they pay homage to by keeping there music alive by sampling them into their own beats.... and thats why hip hop is beautiful, coming from a BRONX NY born n raised FAN
  • bhu 2010/12/06 00:41:48
    It's because...
    bhu
    It's because there's a story behind it. There's meaning. Rappers are trying to say something in an interesting way. It's a new language. Poetry.
  • DoesNot... bhu 2012/11/16 03:17:05
  • Mitch3x3 2010/01/21 03:44:30
    It's because...
    Mitch3x3
    +1
    I love the beats and the stories good MC's tell in their songs. Example: In "Big L - Street Struck" he talks about why teens should stay away from drugs.
  • Louie 2009/12/07 17:39:07
    I don't listen to rap
    Louie
    +1
    to piss off their parents and be no good, the lyrics to todays rap is very tasteless, vulgar, disrespectful and just plain bad, teenagers listen to it to be rebellious.and its ruining them!
  • allmusicismylife 2009/06/23 18:15:32
    allmusicismylife
    +6
  • karianne 2009/05/26 23:58:05
    It's because...
    karianne
    actually, I think its because people don't take appreciation for what real hip-hop and rap is. The game isn't like it used to be. I don't like main stream hip-hop, actually I don't like mainstream anything. And I'm young but I have a wide range of music. People spit whack ISH about anything these days, but the radio doesn't has substance. Its all hype these days. But hey, guys don't dog on hip-hop because you've just heard what's on the radio. Listen to some real hip-hop and rap.

"Real Hip Hop soothes the ear and destresses the mind gives hearing to the deaf and sight to the blind let this quiett beat roll and the underground shine let hip hop come up rise from the dead renewing of the mind with intelligence in the head spreading knowledge by what is said long live hip hop respect it with fervor cause hip hop is life manifested thru the word"

And hey, remember its music. Its a way of expression. I love music. Growing up listening to classical, jazz, acoustic, electro, techno, heavy metal, screamo, indie, classic rock, new wave, korean pop, korean hip-hop, jrock, blues, pop, spoken word, country etc. I've come to realize that in order to love music you have to appreciate all types of music. You feel me? (=
  • bartsimp101 2009/04/05 02:50:34
    It's because...
    bartsimp101
    It's good to listen to other peoples experiences and philosophies through music and that's what good rap is about. If the only topics you here are sex violence and collecting money then you are listening to good rap. That kind of stuff is just used to entertain the mainstream populace. Furthermore, don't just accuse rap of having dull lyrics; The Who have a song about jacking off.

For the record M.C. hammer and Vanilla Ice never had any good songs.
  • DARRELL bartsim... 2012/09/27 02:37:35
    DARRELL
    +3
    mc hammer have had 2 or 3 hit songs and vanilla ice had 1 hit song like ice ice baby...
  • sickened666 2009/02/03 02:12:49
    I don't listen to rap
    sickened666
    +2
    it sounds like trash but people r influence by freinds n etc. maybe because every1 else likes it.people imitate others.i always thought it was trash with their gantas n dope
  • break 2008/12/05 01:28:51
    It's because...
    break
    listen im a tell u sumthin rappers rap about that stuff becuz thats wats happening in the world the 80s is diffrent things were easier 08 ifrica 15000 deid a day n look at all this porn
  • AmericanVirus 2008/11/25 22:21:09
    I don't listen to rap
    AmericanVirus
    +2
    i hate rap
  • DARRELL America... 2012/09/27 02:33:32
    DARRELL
    +2
    if you hate it so why post
  • America... DARRELL 2012/09/27 03:57:27
    AmericanVirus
    My opinion is as valid as those who like it.
    "I don't listen to rap" was an option, I went with it and then further explained why I don't listen to rap. If you don't like opinions, why come to a place that's about sharing opinions.
  • DARRELL America... 2012/09/27 20:47:23
    DARRELL
    +1
    Yeah I see where you coming from,i cant blame ya! Much respect!
  • BIGGmomma 2008/11/16 23:54:01
    It's because...
    BIGGmomma
    Rap is unbelievably underrated by those who turn up their nose at people they think are following the norm. Music is all about how it makes you feel. Rap gives people confidence; makes people feel great. Those who listen to rap and have sampled other music know that there's no point in sitting around crying about how bad your life is. Rap gives the listener confidence in his or herself. You can't listen to Kanye say "Before I die, I'ma touch the sky" and not start thinking that way yourself. Interestingly, most athletes I know love rap. I'm a d-1 pitcher, and I can tell you on the mound I'm often thinking of rap songs, and I have ultimate confidence in every pitch i throw. In short:

RAPS NOT A GENRE:
    ITS A STATE OF MIND
  • patblue1947 2008/08/09 19:36:31
    It's because...
    patblue1947
    You don't have to have a good singing voice or even know how to play a musical instrument. Just another offshoot of the walking blues.
  • Chef 2008/07/06 13:52:17 (edited)
    It's because...
    Chef
    +1
    They failed at school reading and writing and there parents don't care so they take up a hobby of making slang, and corruptive ideas rime in iambic pentameter.
    Most of the posts about this subject, the pro-rap crowd forgets to turn on the spell checker...
    or, like the stupid slang they use, they want to miss spell everything and make sure that people know that being smart ain't dat kools. ya know what I mean?

Mother-F#c*er!

parents care hobby slang corruptive ideas rime iambic pentameter mother-fcer checker stupid slang spell people smart dat kools ya mother-fcer
  • Mitch3x3 Chef 2010/01/21 03:53:53
    Mitch3x3
    +2
    You don't realize that black people had to invent their own language and music and make their own society just to get away from the white society made up of people like you that rejected them from your society for being who they were.

Yaddameen...Mother-F#c*er!!!
  • LivingG... Mitch3x3 2010/03/29 22:12:09
    LivingGrungeMovement01
    +2
    It has nothing to do with black people making their own forms of music to break away from society. It has nothing to do with making MUSIC at all. Though harsh, what Chef answered is the truth. Black people have been active in the Jazz scene and though I am no fan of Jazz anyone can agree that it is 1000x better musically then rap will ever be. The good rappers are the ones who can incorporate GOOD musical elements into their music, and not just the poor excuse for "Rhythm" that is a "Beat". Good rappers will also show that they have a shred of lyrical talent and not just write "slang" which is not artistic at all. As for Hip Hop, it is no better. Hip hop is just people who can't sing but can afford a good producer to re-tune their vocals. What artists has to tune their vocals to be good! Not to mention they can't use any instruments worthy of the name, instead they use synthesized instruments that sound horrible just because they found that a song can be crappy yet catchy at the same time, not to mention that is the producers job too and rarely that of the self proclaimed "Artist". Get your facts straight...
  • Artillery12 2008/05/20 10:45:48
    It's because...
    Artillery12
    +1
    they havent listened to good music
    everything on the radio is pop, R and B and rap
    the radio doesnt put on REAL music which is
    why I NEVER listen to it
  • Voltron... Artille... 2008/05/20 16:33:09
    Voltron (Metal Wolf)
    +1
    good for you then
  • Artille... Voltron... 2008/05/20 22:03:06
    Artillery12
    thanks i guess
  • patblue... Artille... 2008/08/09 19:41:38
    patblue1947
    My husband's son never forgave him for saying that rap music was dull, boring, obscene and repetitious. There are a few good rap/jazz songs such as Back on the Block, most just don't cut it.
  • DARRELL Artille... 2013/07/23 03:49:38 (edited)
    DARRELL
    well thats the same way as rock or metal music, im sure tons of people over the world downgrade and blast heavy metal and rock music for not being music as you rockers or heavy metal fans...take people who listen to spanish music or people from mexico hearing rock or metal music!! im sure they hate that type of music.. .you got millions of people who don't like rap, rock, metal, r&b;, pop or country or millions of people who like or love rap, rock, metal, r&b; pop or country "it goes either way bro!"....check this out music is music and also music is neutral "it doesn't know "good or bad"!...music also comes in different styles from different cultures all over the world and ever race have their own music culture. ...Its not good to bash people's music culture if you don't like people downgrading your music culture and that like saying "I dont like rap from black people" is really saying "you don't like their music culture.....same thing goes for metal or rock....If you a rock fan you should know when rock came around in the 50s.. ....metal was involved from rock as well as heavymetal, but I know who was the oringinal pioneers of early rock and one of them was black "little Richard"... ..
  • mike 2008/03/27 12:39:01
    It's because...
    mike
    theyre retarded and need to be spoon fed a musical taste and personality....taht and they like shitty fashion
  • Mitch3x3 mike 2010/01/21 03:56:28
    Mitch3x3
    +2
    So because they dress differently than you and they don't like the same music as you that makes them retarded? That sounds pretty ignorant...
  • Shane - oldschoolelf 2008/03/19 15:16:02
    It's because...
    Shane - oldschoolelf
    Only the old school rap and R&B. Hence the name(oldschoolelf) I don't listen to the stuff that's out now. I stopped when Busta Rhymes first started. Today's rap is crap but one. Here it is.
  • sasha 2008/03/17 00:20:30
    It's because...
    sasha
    its cool i dont really listin 2 other rap music that much i only listin 2 bay rap.

2014/10/23 00:16:13