Why do people hate Harry Potter?

Bella Black 2009/11/21 02:30:24
I dont want any answers like "because its stupid!" Ive seen tons of anti-twilight people writes essays on the proublems with twilight, but i never see any explainations to why anti-harry potter people hate harry potter. so now, anti-hps, express yourself and show me y harry potter sucks (if u can)

• LunaMalfoy~*In Harry Potter... 2009/11/21 03:03:30
    LunaMalfoy~*In Harry Potter I Trust*~
    +7
    I am a Harry Potter fan (obviously) but as what I heard from people who deliberately bashes me for liking Harry Potter they have interesting reasons why they hate HP. One would be because of religion. Anti's always point out the evilness of witchcraft and that children are being drawn away from Catholicism because of the popularity of a story about the dark arts. An idea which I highly oppose. As a Catholic I found nothing offensive, religion wise, in the whole series. Second is that they hate the movies. Unfair i must say since they didn't gave the book a chance, and the books are always better than the movies. And lastly, those who think that they are too cool to read HP. Idiotic assumptions like: the lead wears glasses so the story is for dorks, witchcraft is for emos (where the hell did they get that idea?) and the whole story is gay. Note the use of the word "gay" as a derogation, somehow it is related to the idea that anything that is geeky or dorkish is gay.

• Silverline 2014/09/06 18:38:23 (edited)
    Silverline
    +2
    Things I dislike about Harry Potter:

1. The rabid fans: I know this is not pertaining to the book per se, but it annoys the hell out of me when I go read reasons why someone dislikes Harry Potter only to be bashed by the rabid fans in response. I know not all of the harry potter fans are rabid, but the more vocal ones are.

2. The childish writing. I know it started out as a children's book, but that does not mean the author (and editor for that matter) should make it like a child's writing. The overuse of hyphens because the word does not fit on the line is one such example. It just makes it harder to read. Another example is the overuse of contractions in non-dialogue/monologue sentences. Contractions are "sloppy," as they make the writing seem less formal.

3. View on rules: It seems to me that anyone who follows the rules is either: i) a pushover (Neville in The Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone telling Harry and friends to stop breaking rules, only to be bound by Hermione) or ii) a villain (Draco Malfoy, I'll give you that he was doing it for his own gain). Harry and friends disregarded the rules to stop some act from happening, and were praised, and not punished. Of course, they should be praised for "saving the school," but since they broke the rules, they should be ...

Things I dislike about Harry Potter:

3. View on rules: It seems to me that anyone who follows the rules is either: i) a pushover (Neville in The Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone telling Harry and friends to stop breaking rules, only to be bound by Hermione) or ii) a villain (Draco Malfoy, I'll give you that he was doing it for his own gain). Harry and friends disregarded the rules to stop some act from happening, and were praised, and not punished. Of course, they should be praised for "saving the school," but since they broke the rules, they should be punished in some way or form.

4. The similar plot. Although I cannot say I have read all the books, I did read the first 3. The lack of a new plot (i.e., Something happens at the school, Harry and friends investigate, Harry and friends find problem (whilst breaking rules), Harry and friends defeat said problem, Harry and friends praised for their heroism.) I became bored after the third grade (mind you, I was in fifth grade).

Before you ask: I'm not a fan of Twilight. Also, I enjoy fantasy writing, but more on the technical side, which might be another reason why I dislike Harry Potter.

Another note, do not bash me for my writing, because that has nothing to do with why I dislike Harry Potter, and frankly, it is an Ad Hominem logical fallacy.

Even another note: If I get details wrong, please correct me in a polite manner, as being rude does not help anyone.
  • ice cream girl 2013/02/15 07:26:29
    ice cream girl
    +1
    I fell asleep reading twilight once and I was really energetic but I had nothing to do so I took one of my sister's twilight books. I read three pages then fell asleep and I've only fallen asleep reading harry potter once because I had zero sleep and it was five in the morning and I was trying to read order of the Phoenix for the second time. So that proves how great twilight is. And that harry potter is a lot better
  • ice cream girl 2013/02/15 06:40:30 (edited)
    ice cream girl
    Simple math:
    Harry potter > lord voldemart
    Lord voldemart > Cedric Diggory
    Cedric Diggory = Edward Cullen
    Therefore,
    Harry potter is better than twilight.
    People who can read read harry potter. People who can't read watch twilight movies. I can read
  • Inga Almklov 2012/05/12 19:04:01
    Inga Almklov
    +3
    I am a major Harry Potter fan and I do NOT understand why anyone could hate him! I mean, there is just no valid reason. Some people think that it is against religion (Christianity) but there is not any good reason why. What they say is that their kids will stop believing in God and want to become a witch or wizard instead. Well sorry, it's not Harry's fault for being in such a magical series. In my opinion, there should be no Harry hating. None at all.

As for Twilight vs Harry Potter, there is only one possible and obvious answer. Harry wins! Not only is Twilight badly written (no offense), but it would look like a particularly stinky piece of trash next to the Potter books. Even the characters in each series cannot compete. The bad guys in HP are much better, scarier and rounded than the beautiful blood-sucker ones. The good guys are also much more realistic than the Twilight ones. They have flaws and therefore seem much more real. I do not think that there is a place where everyone just so seems to be attractive.

Also, HP world and the Twilight world can't compete. Joanne has created a world with many details and everything is so realistic even though it is about wizards and magic. You learn so many things about the wizarding world. Honestly, all there is about the Twiligh...

Also, HP world and the Twilight world can't compete. Joanne has created a world with many details and everything is so realistic even though it is about wizards and magic. You learn so many things about the wizarding world. Honestly, all there is about the Twilight world is this: Vampires are very pretty. Vampires don't like werewolves. Vampires like baseball. There are just so many more things to the HP world. J.K. even has background information to everything!

Well, I guess all I have to say is that Harry Potter is awesome. I just love him so much :)
  • Fire & ... Inga Al... 2012/06/01 02:19:05
    Fire & Ice 666
    +2
    Reginald Almklov Harry Potter fan I am. I agree with you Inga Almklov.
  • taylor carter 2012/04/13 00:45:01
    taylor carter
    +4
    i agree
  • Jennifer Zappa 2011/07/08 15:04:42
    Jennifer Zappa
    +2
    In truth, I don't like or dislike it. I'm not caught up with all the hype because I'm 31. I just don't relate to it. I know the story behind the author and I am from England. I think it's wonderful she has younger ones reading. I'm sure if I was a kid I would love it. X
  • Nicole 2011/01/27 02:31:37
    Nicole
    +3
    Obviously, I Love Harry Potter and i think people hate it because they aren't fun! I know this stuff is all fake but if you imagine it is real you will love it. When I was younger I HATED HARRY POTTER but now I LOVE HARRY POTTER SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But people who do not have brains offend me and they know that i will really hurt them.
  • ❦TigerSound❦ 2010/02/23 23:45:22
    ❦TigerSound❦
    +1
    I have an essay on how much better Harry Potter is!

Bella Swan *Why Swan? Even Goose sounds better!* the average clumsy, dull, practically friendless person moves fro her hometown to her police, can't even cook a minute Cambell's soup father whose obsession with sports blinds him most often. She goes to Forks *I like Spoons better* High. She instantly becomes friends *takes more than just "Hi I'm Bella"!* and sits down for lunch. Suddenly she sees someone: Edward *barfs in bag* Cullen. They fall in love *skips pointless pages* The end.

Harry Potter:

Not a single pointless page in sight! The books actually have deaths of real bad guys and some good guys actually die!

Deaths in Twilight:

James (not much of a vampire anyway!)
    Random nameless people!
    Victoria (She bit people that were once again nameless)

Bottom line:
    Either Stephanie was too quick to publish her books or she has no creativity for names!
  • Bella B... ❦TigerS... 2010/02/23 23:52:53
    Bella Black
    +1
    lol, nice summary! Plus Twilight teaches girls that they can just let a guy run their life! But Bella from HP shows a lot of woman power!
  • ❦TigerS... Bella B... 2010/02/23 23:56:26 (edited)
    ❦TigerSound❦
    +1
    She could kill the Twilight Bella quicker than Bella could yell for her abusive boyfriend.
  • Katie 2010/02/15 21:54:28
    Katie
    +1
    I am a Harry Potter fan and I have no clue why people hate it! I can see why some people hate Twilight, but why do they hate Harry Potter? Harry Potter has good, round characters.

It has a lot of adventure, suspense, romance, angst, and humor. Not to mention that Voldemort is the most compelling villain I've ever read about. I also think it was brilliant for J.K. to create seemingly bad characters who are really on the good side, such as Snape. He has you guessing. Is he good, or is he bad? The tension is thrilling.

I, myself, cannot find any reasons to hate Harry Potter.
  • Hannie 2009/11/22 01:45:42
    Hannie
    +2
    I always was indifferent about HP, but I started hating Twilight once the fucking Twitards ruined it for me. So I support HP way before I do Twilight.
  • Cara Heart~*In Harry Potter... 2009/11/21 23:51:40
    Cara Heart~*In Harry Potter I Trust*~
    +1
    unfortunately we will never know. notice that when one reads twitards comments, more often than not, are hardly understandable. Also, most twitards actually haven't read hp..
  • theelderwand14~*In JK Rowli... 2009/11/21 21:38:15
    theelderwand14~*In JK Rowling I Trust*~
    +1
    I am a Harry Potter fan, so obviously I love HP, but I know why people don't like it. The religion thing actually is a big reason why people don't like it. They always bring up the witchcraft thing. Some people think it's nerdy (which it isn't because all the cool kids read Harry Potter). Mostly, some people just don't like the plot and think the storyline is stupid. There are some people who really don't care for magic and the most epic good vs. evil battle ever.
  • ~Doll Princess~ 2009/11/21 17:50:15
    ~Doll Princess~
    +2
    I'll be watching this....
  • Bloody Brey 2009/11/21 15:08:40
    Bloody Brey
    +2
    i didnt know that there were any anti-hps whats so bad about them they are great books and are still popular after all these years so i find there is nothing wrong with them (in my own opinion of course)
  • Damselfly 2009/11/21 08:51:19
    Damselfly
    +1
    Harry Potter was written for an age group younger than me, but I think it's original and good. J.K. Rowling created her own unique series and her characters mature and try to do the right thing, which makes them role models for kids. I don't think Twilight comes close to achieving this.

Bible thumpers who criticize HP forget that they are fictional books which encourage the love of reading and developing creative imagination. But it's a waste of time debating with such people because they are intolerant anyway, and label anything different from their beliefs as evil. Religious fanatics always want to control how others think. It's interesting how established religions, that were once persecuted long ago when they were new, are now the ones doing the persecuting. It's a good example of hypocrisy.
  • <3ALLiS0N iS HiS<3 2009/11/21 05:52:48
    <3ALLiS0N iS HiS<3
    +3
    dude.. freaking LOVE harry potter!!!!! ppl just hate cause they wish they're lives were that magical but it can't be so they get mad & bitter......
  • SamTheSlayer [Codename: Duc... 2009/11/21 05:33:51
    SamTheSlayer [Codename: Duchess]
    +2
    I don't hate it, I'm just not a fan.
    My reasoning is simply because it doesn't appeal to me. It's written well and all, I'm just simply not interested.
  • ☆Varsha★ 2009/11/21 04:57:40
    ☆Varsha★
    +1
    Hm.. I don't know a single person who hates Harry Potter, so I really don't know..
  • Zoie 2009/11/21 04:53:11
    Zoie
    +2
    Hahaha.

"If you can."
  • Christine 2009/11/21 04:44:19 (edited)
    Christine
    +2
    I don't know. I love Harry Potter lol
    Probably because they can't get past the first boring chapter. And then they just give up. Or because they're too dimwitted to understand it.
  • Nighteyes 2009/11/21 04:35:44 (edited)
    Nighteyes
    +2
    im a fan, but ive noticed, that harry is a retard sometimes.

one: he just randomly falls in love with jenny

no matter how much class hes endured he can never answer snape's questions... and never knows the latest going on's... or terms...

muggle born was an excuse in his first year... after that its gets retarded.

ther is too much drama in the last book between ron and harry. its just like, shut up already.

hes a biatch to hermione when his wand breaks.

harry suspects EVERYONE... im mean first (starting from the first book) voldy, snape, hagrid, snape again.... and again... etc.
    hes mad at everyone too,. at snape, then hes mad at voldy then hes mad at his friend... then its back to snape... then friends, then teachers, then voldy again, then finnaly dumbledoor. its just like, jeeze relax.

... lots of other crap.
  • Zoie Nighteyes 2009/11/21 04:57:34
    Zoie
    +7
    Characters can't be perfect. Their flaws make for a more interesting plot. I agree that Harry is not the best wizard and is always getting helped by others (which he openly admits to). I thought that that made the book better. That Harry wasn't just a natural amazing wizard. He get's helped out and learns every time.
  • Nighteyes Zoie 2009/11/21 06:59:08
    Nighteyes
    +2
    an author creates flaws within a character to make them seem real...then that way the reader might experience a character's growth, meaning that they must actualy GROW and develop... harry is consistently retarded.
    He admits to help.... so what? this just means hes consistently humble.... which makes him seem unrealistic. no kid is like that....
    he learns???? really??? the only spelll he ever uses throughout the book is expelliramus.... wow. he doesn't really learn anything, except how to be retarded.
  • JustinG... Nighteyes 2010/05/30 17:32:08
    JustinGuider
    +3
    He uses a bunch of spells. Did you even READ the books?
  • Nighteyes JustinG... 2010/05/30 22:11:52
    Nighteyes
    +1
    .... did you even read my comment? yes i ready the entire bloody series. it was lame. ya its ok the first time around but think about it to deeply and it gets retarded. kids saving the world... hmmmm... its just unrealistic. "he uses a bunch of spells." the last spell i remember him learning is the patronus... in the third book. he just isn't that intellegent or bright.
  • Bella B... Nighteyes 2010/05/30 22:56:41
    Bella Black
    +1
    It's a fantasy book! It doesnt matter whether its realistic or not! A lot of book aren't like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Twilight. And as for the whole "he doesn't use a lot of spells," he does, you probably just don't remember them and if you question me on that, reread the 5th HP book
  • Nighteyes Bella B... 2010/05/30 23:33:23 (edited)
    Nighteyes
    +1
    ... im not stupid. i understand its a fantasy book. but even tho they have magic, their culture is relatively similar to ours. its the adults that are in power and the kids that listen.
    why cant you people accept that harry, isn't very bright. he is always the second one to get concepts and so on, yet he always comes out on top, i mean jeeze, voldy, you really sucked it up there. do you honestly think that harry potter is smart? cause i certainly don't. seeing as how i don't have the book with me, ill speculate your talking about his teaching spells. ummm... he talks about like ten. wow, in five years tens all you got? look, i like the potter books, im just saying their are inherent problems with the series. i enjoy watching harry kick ass, but then again, if your ass gets kicked by harry.. you kinda deserve it.
  • Bella B... Nighteyes 2010/05/31 14:47:28
    Bella Black
    +1
    well, I guess it's realistic for Harry to be not very bright cause most teenage boys aren't.
  • Nighteyes Bella B... 2010/05/31 16:19:54
    Nighteyes
    +1
    ... and yet he defeats the most infamous dark wizard the world has ever known? lol. im not trying to pick a fight... merely pointing out things i have a problem with in the book
  • Bella B... Nighteyes 2010/06/01 00:04:18
    Bella Black
    sorry for getting alittle over defensive
  • Nighteyes Bella B... 2010/06/01 01:07:07
    Nighteyes
    +1
    lol nah, i was getting the same way.
  • Jenna P. Nighteyes 2013/01/14 02:10:45
    Jenna P.
    +8
    Just because you are not the brightest person in the world does not mean you can't be brave! I'm a huge HP fan and I simply don't understand why you think the series is "lame"
  • Nighteyes Zoie 2009/11/21 19:00:00
    Nighteyes
    +1
    now, if harry had started out pridefull and developed a sense of humility that might have been believable....
  • Cara He... Nighteyes 2009/11/22 00:08:08
    Cara Heart~*In Harry Potter I Trust*~
    +2
    harry falls randomly in love with GINNY kinda like how Edward randomly falls in love with Bella?

Also, yes, Snape's Class, Potions, is never his forte. This is because one: 'potion making requires the ability to tell the difference between to similar things (i.e. occulamency and mind-reading) Also, snape grades harshly to everyone, especially harry [because of both James and Lily] BUT, DADA, Transfiguration, Charms, and Care of Magical Creatures, are classes that he is really good at. Many people compare Harry Potter to Hermione Granger, and come up with the conclusion that he is stupid. He learned the Patronus Charm when he was 13, where many adults cant preform magic like that.

Harry is not a muggle-born, just raised by muggles.

the drama in the last book lasted for maybe 3 chapters, hardly too much. It helped the transition of them hiding out in the forest.

Yes, Harry is rude to Hermione, but he is upset as the wand that had ALWAYS led him in the right path (especially when he faces Voldemort) and now depends on it.

And, yes, Harry suspects Snape in the begining, but not with out evidence. He hears him fighting with Quarrel (telling him that "You don't want me as your enemy" and the book says it sounded like he was "demanding information") Snape was, in harry's eyes, unj...

And, yes, Harry suspects Snape in the begining, but not with out evidence. He hears him fighting with Quarrel (telling him that "You don't want me as your enemy" and the book says it sounded like he was "demanding information") Snape was, in harry's eyes, unjust and cruel to him, and suspects him.

as far as Hagrid goes, he didn't suspect him. Harry had 'concrete proof' in the form of a memory. When one sees that, it is hard to not suspect. Also, Harry didn't want to believe it.

please clarify the 'lots of other crap'
  • Nighteyes Cara He... 2009/11/22 02:36:24
    Nighteyes
    since when did twilight ever enter this conversation??? i didn't mention it.. i have no idea why you felt the need to bring it up... i mean seriously.. me-"apples are juicy..." you-"well oranges are juicy too!!! GOSH!!!!"
    so back to the ACTUAL subject. never his forte?? come on. no child is that retarded. if someone isn't good at something, its called WORKING HARDER!!
    I don't compare harry potter to hermione.. again, when did i ever compare the two?
    drama in the last three chapters???? please drama is the driving force all seven books.
    the only classes hes really good at are dada. the rest he just scrapes by.
    wow, he was TAUGHT the patronous charm... who cares? he uses it like three times. im not upset about that anyway.
    evidence? please. its a child's suspicion.
    concrete proof? its called deductive reasoning. the heir of slytherin? hagrid? and wouldn't you be suspicious if a book gave you fricking MEMORIES of the exact subject you need info on?? coincidence?
    "lots of other crap" means that there are allot of other subjects which are retarded that i didn't discuss.
  • Cara He... Nighteyes 2009/11/23 22:05:30
    Cara Heart~*In Harry Potter I Trust*~
    Twilight was in the conversation when the person who posted this question clearly says in the description, "Ive seen tons of anti-twilight people writes essays on the proublems with twilight, but i never see any explainations to why anti-harry potter people hate harry potter. so now, anti-hps, express yourself and show me y harry potter sucks (if u can)" It is typically associated (forgive me if you do not fit my generalization) that people who hate harry potter more often than not, love twilight.

When I said comparing Harry to Hermionie, I mean that I constantly compare the two and shouldn't. Hermionie is good at school where Harry, (pardon my assumption)

My best friend has never been good at math, It just isn't her strong point, but that doesn't mean that she hasn't tried. That pushed her to try harder, and yet she still remained empty handy. Now, I am not trying to say that Harry put forth 120% but i am saying that to say he didn't try is a major overstatement.

Also, whether it's my fault or a misunderstanding on your part. I was speaking about the drama between Harry and Ron (when Ron leaves after nothing has been acomplished) You are right when you say that the last book is full of drama, Death Eaters are winning, the Ministry falls, Harry is hiding out, ect.

But,...

But, what story doesn't have some drama. I mean to say that as it is the climax of the whole series, things are going to be pretty bad. The issue of too much Drama is merly preferance to what one likes and doesn't like in a story.

Only Scrapes by in the other classes? In Half-Blood Prince(101), when he takes his owl exames his grades are really good. I assume you are familiar with the grading system his grades are:

Astronomy......A(Accepable)
    Care of Magical Creatures.....E(Exceeds Expectations)
    DADA.....O(Outstanding)
    Divination.....P(Poor)
    Herbology.....E
    History of Magic.....D(Dreadful)
    Potions.....E {because he did put effort into that class}
    Transfiguration.....E

Shortly after his grades were listed, Rowling writes, "He had always known that he would fail Divination, and he had had no chance of passing History of Magic, given that he had collapsed halfway throught the examination..."

Also, not only did he learn the Patronus Charm, but he taught a large number of students in Order of the Phoenix. That is incredible.

Also, as Harry and we learned that memories cant be altered with out drastic evedince (i.e. Slughorn's memory about the Horcruxes)

Harry didn't believe it. Had he believed with out a doubt that Tom Riddle was telling the truth, he would have told Dumbledore. Harry didn't do that. Instead he wanted to ask Hagrid about it, and would have, had they not been disturbed by Malfoy, Fudge, and Dumbledore.

Yes, Harry is an easily swayed person, but that's how Rowling made him. Harry suspects Snape all the time because he hates him. One would suspect and enemy before any other offense.

Sorry for such a long response, but you sounded offended and I didn't want you to be upset with me.
  • Nighteyes Cara He... 2009/11/23 22:57:51
    Nighteyes
    i am sorry, but i do not fit your description. i like both.
    ive never had the need to compare harry and hermione.... theyre two different people just like the rest of us..
    climatic drama is never hated. drama over and over between friend gets annoying and boring.
    granted, harry did well in school
    i didn't like the fact that although hed spent years in the magically community he was never up to date on magical society terms. im not talking bout news, but just basic terms.. like a port key. and the tri wizard cup. and death eater.... i understand to a point that he wasn't an integrated member of the magical community for a long time, but i feel that JK used his ignorance as a way to explain the functions of some cool magic, instead of finding an alternative route to enlighten the audience.
    also, it seems like harry is always stumbling along every circumstance... i mean you would think that maybe he could buy some advanced dada or get some new spells in his arsenal, and take the iniative to prepare for what he know he must face, but its always someone else who tells him what to do, when and where to do it. it gets annoying.

long responses are fine by me. and don't feel bad or anything, i think when i wrote that i had just come from a political debate... those things get one riled.
    im not upset. don't worry. :P

2014/10/23 10:31:11